Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I think it can be harmful to some, and helpful to some.

I have mixed feelings on it.

I too am actually glad the conversation has gotten more civil. I know we've also had our disagreements in the past.

This is more of what I hope to see in this thread.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I guess Shakespeare needs to be taken out of schools since the women in his plays were played by men.

Hope they don’t cancel the Beverly Hillbillies.  Max Baer doing double duty as Jethrine. 

IMG_0109.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Are you saying you have seen that here?   If so, I have to disagree.

I won't comment on other platforms without knowing the who/what/when/where of it all.   I will say I support open discussion, as free from bias and agendas as humans can be.

Sorry, no I was referring to other platforms. I'll edit the post.

I don't expect you or anyone to comment on other platforms, just sharing what I've seen. I'm glad we agree on open discussion.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Some people value their family name/legacy very highly, and that will be the case for some. Again I don't think that is the case for most though.

I'm not understanding how this is similar to your example though.

just my thought, but to explain it better: Honour Killings are to Islamic fundamentalism as Denying your children's sexual expression is to christian fundamentalism. 

Probably an imperfect analogy; but along the lines of Jihadists and YeeHawwwwdists being very similar cultures with a variant on which Abrahamic religion they are using to justify their oppression. Like my example of a real life friend whose dad beat her up when she was about 13 years old for admitting to being gay. If the culture would allow hard core christians opposed to any gay infiltration to their family name/heritage to do honour killings, like you see in extremist theocratic countries in the middle east/southeast asia, you can bet they would be a thing. Some cases they are a thing, just pretty rare in north america, but they do exist sporadically. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

just my thought, but to explain it better: Honour Killings are to Islamic fundamentalism as Denying your children's sexual expression is to christian fundamentalism. 

Probably an imperfect analogy; but along the lines of Jihadists and YeeHawwwwdists being very similar cultures with a variant on which Abrahamic religion they are using to justify their oppression. Like my example of a real life friend whose dad beat her up when she was about 13 years old for admitting to being gay. If the culture would allow hard core christians opposed to any gay infiltration to their family name/heritage to do honour killings, like you see in extremist theocratic countries in the middle east/southeast asia, you can bet they would be a thing. Some cases they are a thing, just pretty rare in north america, but they do exist sporadically. 

physical violence would absolutely be a thing the far christian right would want. They already almost have it in the awful pray the gay away "interventions" which is basically kidnapping and torture. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

physical violence would absolutely be a thing the far christian right would want. They already almost have it in the awful pray the gay away "interventions" which is basically kidnapping and torture. 

Or conversion therapy which, the founder of the program fully admited, doesn't work. 

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yup.  The next thing these "parental rights" activists will ask for is to be able to assault their children again.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

for sure, I agree 100% in principle. Its why I like having 4 parties fighting it out, you don't get the kind of polarization of actual legislation that we see elsewhere. The political chatter is shit up here, but the actual law making is still OK, imo.

If the CPC had selected Rona Ambrose or someone like her, I could be with you on this. I just find that Poilievre brings out the worst in everyone.

For me the two biggest issues I will be looking at this election when making my decision is:

1. the housing crisis (I want to see a detailed plan with quantifiable goals, not vague empty promises)

2. military spending (needs to be at minimum 2% of GDP as per NATO suggestions with the current global climate)

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

For me the two biggest issues I will be looking at this election when making my decision is:

1. the housing crisis

2. military spending (needs to be at minimum 2% of GDP as per NATO suggestions with the current global climate)

I would also add trade to that list. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I would also add trade to that list. 

What would you like to see improved with trade, mostly improving our North American trade or improving our international trade through new agreements and improved relations with other countries?

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

What would you like to see improved with trade, mostly improving our North American trade or improving our international trade through new agreements and improved relations with other other countries?

North America is pretty much established. We really need to step it up internationally. Japan, e.g, is a country we could be doing far more trade with, along with probably all the ASEAN partners for that matter. We actually have a competent group right now in terms of being able to negotiate these deals. The UK one is temporarily stalled over some miffed feelings about cheese imports but that will be overcome I'm sure.

It sounds like the TMX pipeline should be fully operational soon, so that could help kickstart for pac rim trade.

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

1. the housing crisis (I want to see a detailed plan with quantifiable goals, not vague empty promises)

Yeah, housing directly affects me although I'm still in the process of looking for work and not really sure where I'll end up.

The other one to me is the tech sector and jobs.

Unfortunately, me looking for work is also why I haven't really thought much beyond that. At the end of the day, I just want a job and further my career.

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Conservatives have you covered!

CDN media

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

North America is pretty much established. We really need to step it up internationally. Japan, e.g, is a country we could be doing far more trade with, along with probably all the ASEAN partners for that matter. We actually have a competent group right now in terms of being able to negotiate these deals. The UK one is temporarily stalled over some miffed feelings about cheese imports but that will be overcome I'm sure.

It sounds like the TMX pipeline should be fully operational soon, so that could help kickstart for pac rim trade.

Yeah it is very important to maintain great working relations with our allies and encourage deeper collaboration, for me its not as pressing of an issues as 75% of our exports go to the USA anyways. Logistically is just makes so much sense given they are the biggest customer on the planet and we share a massive land border with them. As transportation technology improves it will be important to expand our global reach. Military spending I think will help with this as well, as Countries like USA, UK, Australia, and South Korea have strengthened their bonds through military coordination as well recently.      

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, housing directly affects me although I'm still in the process of looking for work and not really sure where I'll end up.

The other one to me is the tech sector and jobs.

Unfortunately, me looking for work is also why I haven't really thought much beyond that. At the end of the day, I just want a job and further my career.

I believe the housing crisis is also contributing to the job market as high inflation is squeezing the economy. 

• Upvote 1

I am not sure what the feds can do about housing, as it falls under the provinces, which are primarily Conservative governments or NDP governments lately. Even the old BC Liberal government was a conservative government made up of Federal CON supporters and former BC Social Credit members/leaders. I am glad they changed their name to the BCUPS last year, as that will help end the confusion about the BC Liberals being liberals. They were not. 

• Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I wish I could be as principled as you, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to vote for the guy who stood in solidarity with the Ottawa blockade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am not sure what the feds can do about housing, as it falls under the provinces, which are primarily Conservative governments or NDP governments lately. Even the old BC Liberal government was a conservative government made up of Federal CON supporters and former BC Social Credit members/leaders. I am glad they changed their name to the BCUPS last year, as that will help end the confusion about the BC Liberals being liberals. They were not. 

The federal government has more power than the BC government to make changes to improve the housing situation, passing the buck to the provincial government is a cop out, there is a reason the housing crisis is effecting most of Canada and not just one or two provinces. Its like saying as the CEO "there is nothing I can do but let me pass you over to a regional manager to see if there is something they can help you with".  

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The federal government has more power than the BC government to make changes to improve the housing situation, passing the buck to the provincial government is a cop out, there is a reason the housing crisis is effecting most of Canada and not just one or two provinces. Its like saying as the CEO "there is nothing I can do but let me pass you over to a regional manager to see if there is something he can help you with".  

Difference is - the provincial governments are not responsible to the federal government as a regional manager would be to a CEO.  The two governments are different hierarchies that have different fields of jurisdicition as outlined in the Constitution and previously since Confederation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I was just looking at the platforms and it does seem like each has ideas in place. I'd need to look at those ideas further to decide on what makes the most sense to me. I only did a quick skim.

And that includes looking at the Conservatives plan, although I hate that half their wording is just attacking others even when describing their plan. Like... just tell me your plan! lol

Edited by The Lock
  • chaos 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I wish I could be as principled as you, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to vote for the guy who stood in solidarity with the Ottawa blockade.

Me neither.  Poilivre frankly belongs in prison for his open support of domestic terrorism.

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

A group protesting for change and making the PM look silly, doesn't surprise me too much he attached is saddle to that horse. He used it to put himself on the map. I will always vote for the person I think will improve the country the most even if I don't agree with some of their beliefs or views. Too many people vote with emotions instead of logic especially with social media getting everyone riled up all the time.    

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The federal government has more power than the BC government to make changes to improve the housing situation, passing the buck to the provincial government is a cop out, there is a reason the housing crisis is effecting most of Canada and not just one or two provinces. Its like saying as the CEO "there is nothing I can do but let me pass you over to a regional manager to see if there is something they can help you with".  

It's just history, man.  The Mulroney/Chrétien governments completely abandoned social housing as the world turned to neoliberalism.  9 provinces followed suit - the one exception was Quebec, which is not suffering as badly ad the rest of Canada.  So right now the greatest barriers fall to municipal governments, which are wholly unprepared to deal with such large issues like this. 

This is nothing like the CEO passing the buck.  This is more like your great grandpa passing the buck down multiple generations and now you're expecting the man to come out of his grave and do some magic.  What exactly are you expecting the federal government to do here?  All they can really do is throw money at the problem.  The Liberals waited way too long to do so, but there at least there are some vague financial commitments in place now.