Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The federal government has more power than the BC government to make changes to improve the housing situation, passing the buck to the provincial government is a cop out, there is a reason the housing crisis is effecting most of Canada and not just one or two provinces. Its like saying as the CEO "there is nothing I can do but let me pass you over to a regional manager to see if there is something they can help you with".  

In a way, but if topic X was a net positive for voter sympathy/approval you can bet the provinces would be lined up with pitchforks and torches to protect their domain and claim credit for a great performance. As we see it now, it is a political morass and so the provinces, whose legal jurisdiction it is, are instead pushing the sh*t uphill trying to make it stick to the Federal Liberal Government, when in fact it has been a cross jurisdictional issue for 30 or 40 years that got us here. Looking at Regional Districts and City Halls bearing some blame as well as provinces. City halls put all kinds of riders on building permits and zoning changes that force builders to spend like mine did in sooke: a 300k bill on a city property bridge in order to then be allowed to build 28 units on strata land. literally 11k more per home on the builders shoulders so that the taxpayers didn't have to build a tiny bridge on City roadways. 

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

It's just history, man.  The Mulroney/Chrétien governments completely abandoned social housing as the world turned to neoliberalism.  9 provinces followed suit - the one exception was Quebec, which is not suffering as badly ad the rest of Canada.  So right now the greatest barriers fall to municipal governments, which are wholly unprepared to deal with such large issues like this. 

This is nothing like the CEO passing the buck.  This is more like your great grandpa passing the buck down multiple generations and now you're expecting the man to come out of his grave and do some magic.  What exactly are you expecting the federal government to do here?  All they can really do is throw money at the problem.  The Liberals waited way too long to do so, but there at least there are some vague financial commitments in place now.

That is only a small part of it in my opinion, lots of factors in play. At a certain point the federal government has the ability and obligation to step in with policies to address the housing crisis.  

36 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah it is very important to maintain great working relations with our allies and encourage deeper collaboration, for me its not as pressing of an issues as 75% of our exports go to the USA anyways. Logistically is just makes so much sense given they are the biggest customer on the planet and we share a massive land border with them. As transportation technology improves it will be important to expand our global reach. Military spending I think will help with this as well, as Countries like USA, UK, Australia, and South Korea have strengthened their bonds through military coordination as well recently.      

I'm a big supporter of the increase in NATO spending, in large part because if done correctly it can really spur R&D companies in Canada. Plus I hate not pulling our weight. 

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/military-spending-defense-budget

Has a nice graph with year by year spending- you would need to a seperate list of which government was in power  though

so here it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_federal_parliaments

I know which government was in power for which years, roughly, but looking at the list showing Military budget as a % of GDP from 1960 to now..it is easy: The ONE year it was below 1% was the 2nd to last HARPER YEAR...LOL, exactly what this veteran has been trying to tell people about the CONS talking a good military game but absolutely NEVER living up to it. Note that HARPER also cut medical pensions for life from this nations war vets and replaced it with a pennies on the dollar one time payout, which was often given carte blanche to mentally ill vets and left them bankrupt after a very short number of months with the cash in hand..."and its gone". 

I will never vote Conservative again in my life, I don't think, without a major shift in CON policy and leadership. O'Toole was the closest they have had to a progressive conservative leader since the end of the Progressive Conservative party federally. Thus my support for a middle of the road party like the LIberals.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That is only a small part of it in my opinion, lots of factors in play. At a certain point the federal government has the ability and obligation to step in with policies to address the housing crisis.  

Like what, though?  Realistically, what can the federal government in this country do?  None of the parties (not even the NDP) are interested in bringing back social housing.  The obvious option to help fund anything would be to increase taxes (super unpopular).  Rent controls would make things even worse.

There are a lot of regulatory options the provinces and feds can introduce, but Poilievre is definitely not promising more regulation.  He's promising the opposite, and it's an absurd policy plan.

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/military-spending-defense-budget

Has a nice graph with year by year spending- you would need to a seperate list of which government was in power  though

so here it is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_federal_parliaments

I'm not as worried about the past, more looking at future plans for military spending. As global conflict as taken a major shift over the last two years.  

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A group protesting for change and making the PM look silly, doesn't surprise me too much he attached is saddle to that horse. He used it to put himself on the map. I will always vote for the person I think will improve the country the most even if I don't agree with some of their beliefs or views. Too many people vote with emotions instead of logic especially with social media getting everyone riled up all the time.    

I think they made themselves look silly (as did Pollievre) but I guess that's just me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Like what, though?  Realistically, what can the federal government in this country do?  None of the parties (not even the NDP) are interested in bringing back social housing.  The obvious option to help fund anything would be to increase taxes (super unpopular).  Rent controls would make things even worse.

There are a lot of regulatory options the provinces and feds can introduce, but Poilievre is definitely not promising more regulation.  He's promising the opposite, and it's an absurd policy plan.

quite simply a provincial tax break for housing construction companies may be the only way to spur more growth quickly. Problem being Alberta doesn't have any, hahaha...and the maritimes dont have a crisis, and Quebec isn't struggling so much...it really boils down to a problem for Toronto and Vancouver City Mayors and Ontario and BC Premiers to figure out what to do. 

My advice to folks who don't have to be in Vancouver or Toronto is literally move somewhere you can afford to live, like I did when I was young before I could buy a home. One of the cheapest houses I ever bought was in the Eastern Townships of Ontario. A french enclave not in Quebec proper. Had four bedrooms upstairs, a dirt cellar that was accessed from outside the house down a flight of stairs and a very roomy kitchen, Sitting Room, living room, Laundry and bathroom on the main floor. Two decks as well. Bought it very reasonable priced and sold it for very little gain. I commuted to Ottawa from there daily in my career.  Only after retirement could I afford to move home to my island and eventually bought here in the Cowichan Valley 2 blocks from where I was married and about six blocks away from my childhood home. 

my 'angry old man yelling at cloud moment is this: Young people seem to want to skip the part where they make sacrifices to start their lives off right. Go out from your nest, explore, seek your fortune and when you are set up in life, it is very likely you will be able to then have your pick of where to settle for your old age. Skipping the step where you sacrifice and struggle like your parents did just seems odd to me. edit: or rather it is an odd expectation. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The two obvious ones are federally subsidies for building homes and expansion of rural communities, as well as decrease in immigration until supply catches up with demand. There are also other options as believe it or not the federal government does have quite a bit of power. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Protesting provincial mandates in Ottawa seems very, very silly to me.

Yeah the part that concerns me with Poilievre are the moments that seem more like "attention seeking stunts", especially in times where he doesn't really need to be doing that. It makes him feel disingenuous. 

And then, as I've eluded to earlier, even his policies have sentences that are just attacks towards Trudeau. I understand attacking Trudeau, but putting attacks in places where you should be highlighting what you can do for me isn't exactly going to win me over.

I find it funny Pierre Poilievre rants about how broken Canada is, while we lead the world in many fact based catagories. IN fact the Current Federal Government advanced Canada's economy from 10th and 11th in the world under Harper to 9th in the world several years running now. But that is "broken" according to P.P. 11th on the way to 12th place was a much better time, just stare at the pocket watch as it sways back and forth and you find yourself sleepy, sleepier...sleeping. (only more like Ragey, Ragier, RAGINGest)

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Yeah the part that concerns me with Poilievre are the moments that seem more like "attention seeking stunts", especially in times where he doesn't really need to be doing that. It makes him feel disingenuous. 

And then, as I've eluded to earlier, even his policies have sentences that are just attacks towards Trudeau. I understand attacking Trudeau, but putting attacks in places where you should be highlighting what you can do for me isn't exactly going to win me over.

That's politics though. Easier to knock someone down than build yourself up, closer the election we will likely start seeing actual plans accompanied by increased attacks from both sides.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The two obvious ones are federally subsidies for building homes and expansion of rural communities, as well as decrease in immigration until supply catches up with demand. 

So there are already some issues with your proposal.  Are you proposing we subsidize the property owners or the construction companies?  And who on earth wants to move into rural communities?  You'd be throwing a lot of cash into a program people aren't really interested in taking part.

Immigration is a more complex issue and one that is also a share responsibility with the provinces.  Halting immigration will crater our economy.  It's an awkard place to be in right now.

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

I find it funny Pierre Poilievre rants about how broken Canada is, while we lead the world in many fact based catagories. IN fact the Current Federal Government advanced Canada's economy from 10th and 11th in the world under Harper to 9th in the world several years running now. But that is "broken" according to P.P. 11th on the way to 12th place was a much better time, just stare at the pocket watch as it sways back and forth and you find yourself sleepy, sleepier...sleeping. (only more like Ragey, Ragier, RAGINGest)

He's using tactics not unlike what you see in the states with the right wing there. Even if you just think about the phrase "Canada is broken", that's not unlike saying "Make America great again." In fact, you could make the argument for them saying the exact same thing, just different countries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That's politics though. Easier to knock someone down than build yourself up, closer the election we will likely start seeing actual plans accompanied by increased attacks from both sides.

Don't I know it.

Yeah, my wishes when it comes to politics don't typically come true. lol

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Libs plan is already out and has considerable Federal investment. I will be curious to see PP’s plan.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2023/11/canadas-housing-action-plan.html

IMG_0986.jpeg

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I think we are now back to 10th, but its more the quality of life that has gone down hill not the economy (not for the rich but the lower and middle class). 

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

He's using tactics not unlike what you see in the states with the right wing there. Even if you just think about the phrase "Canada is broken", that's not unlike saying "Make America great again." In fact, you could make the argument for them saying the exact same thing, just different countries.

I think it's very similar....

"This guy is the worst we've ever had and I alone can fix the country's problems"......"I won't tell you how, but it's going to be great! Trust me!"

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

So there are already some issues with your proposal.  Are you proposing we subsidize the property owners or the construction companies?  And who on earth wants to move into rural communities?  You'd be throwing a lot of cash into a program people aren't really interested in taking part.

Immigration is a more complex issue and one that is also a share responsibility with the provinces.  Halting immigration will crater our economy.  It's an awkard place to be in right now.

Reducing immigration rate for a couple years will not tank the economy, unemployment rate is already on the rise at 5.6% there are available workers at the moment.