Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess....

Although, aside from being a target for the whiners, I'm not sure what "silliness" Trudeau was guilty of....:classic_unsure:

Having to enact a war time act, to make some truckers go home. When you probably could have just brought them some timmies and asked them politely to leave.  

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Having to enact a war time act, to make some truckers go home. When you probably could have just brought them some timmies and asked them politely to leave.  

I think they tried that one and it didn't work.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Lock said:

He's using tactics not unlike what you see in the states with the right wing there. Even if you just think about the phrase "Canada is broken", that's not unlike saying "Make America great again." In fact, you could make the argument for them saying the exact same thing, just different countries.

See the blue book above! He and Shanaplan should collaborate.

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I call bs on that strategy, they closed the Windsor Bridge for a reason! Like the closed the border in Coutts Albertabama!

!

15 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You don't really believe that do you? :classic_huh:

34 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Don't I know it.

Yeah, my wishes when it comes to politics don't typically come true. lol

I said something like the following when I lived in SOoke and John Horgan's BC NDP came into power. My favourite Mayor was in power in Sooke. John Horgan literally was our MLA for my riding and Premier AND Justin Trudeau was/is our Prime Minister: "OH MY GOD, I got the trifecta of elected Leaders at every level, City, Province, Country, these are my Halcyon Days!" and my wife looked at me sideways and declared "nerd".  hehehe, i was a nerd when she met me, literally  in school for Criminology and helping with a Radio Show at UVIC from 3 to 5am every tuesday on CFUV college radio. hahahaha.... I r still a nerd but moved on from Criminal Justice and enjoyed a career of service to the country in communications instead. But yeah, looking back on the last 6 years, my personal situation in life has never been better at any time than now after literally having my choice as Mayor for my real mayor, my choice as Premier as my real life Premier and my choice for PM as my real life PM. I am at peak Optimist Prime, fiscally speaking and safety/security speaking. Can't complain really. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Im pretty sure he didnt, I thought he just decided he was going to work from home for a couple weeks. 

Well not JT.   He just sent some of his libtard lackeys.   Either way, timmies or not, there were a few polite requests to leave made.

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I said something like the following when I lived in SOoke and John Horgan's BC NDP came into power. My favourite Mayor was in power in Sooke. John Horgan literally was our MLA for my riding and Premier AND Justin Trudeau was/is our Prime Minister: "OH MY GOD, I got the trifecta of elected Leaders at every level, City, Province, Country, these are my Halcyon Days!" and my wife looked at me sideways and declared "nerd".  hehehe, i was a nerd when she met me, literally  in school for Criminology and helping with a Radio Show at UVIC from 3 to 5am every tuesday on CFUV college radio. hahahaha.... I r still a nerd but moved on from Criminal Justice and enjoyed a career of service to the country in communications instead. But yeah, looking back on the last 6 years, my personal situation in life has never been better at any time than now after literally having my choice as Mayor for my real mayor, my choice as Premier as my real life Premier and my choice for PM as my real life PM. I am at peak Optimist Prime, fiscally speaking and safety/security speaking. Can't complain really. 

And here I live in more of a rural area that always votes Conservative at pretty much every level. lol

I think that could change at least once I move elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1707168758145.jpg

I can't remember if it was here or on the old forum, but I recall a post where I basically said the guy's an attack dog, and bears no redeeming leadership qualities.  He would make a horribad PM for our parliamentary system because his traits are more suited for an autocratic/authoritarian system, which is anathema to our parliamentary system.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Well not JT.   He just sent some of his libtard lackeys.   Either way, timmies or not, there were a few polite requests to leave made.

Well shit, maybe they did need to make them all out to be racists and use the wartime act then. 

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Hey thanks for the shout out. While we may disagree on things, I'm glad you and I can discuss things civilly.

Cheers

Pete, like Petey, will always discuss things civilly with you.  He's not going to give you a one liner and try to one up you just for the win.  So go at it with him as much as you'd like and you'll have a great conversation and debate...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

I think Covid very much explains it, yes Trudeau ran some deficits in 2016-2019 but relative to Harper he seemed to be trending well. The hole dug by COVID pretty much explains everything. I do agree though, boy do I miss the Chrietien years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/services/publications/annual-financial-report/2022.html

image.png.c42d2b60c60c2f279f6abc626151f7bf.png

image.png.d7bd9764846d7f0f1dd897689fccfddf.png

Judging by post history, I think we'll have some disagreements here. I agree Trudeau's gone stale and it's time for a change. I would normally swap my vote to conservative from liberal/ndp in any other situation (I used to think of the political parties as t-shirts the country wears, when the party is in power too long it gets dirty, and the opposition cleans up from the last scandal and assumes power.) The conservatives however, have adopted the culture war MAGA schtick to drive division and win power in the most cynical fashion. It's a huge turn off and frankly makes me concerned what long settled hot button issue they are going to go after next (Gay marriage? Abortion?). As a person that used to vote Conservative and had voted for Stephen Harper, It's just alarming how quickly the party now is so quick to jump on those tactics. I'd probably identify as a Progressive Conservative if the parties split today, but frankly there is no home for me in this current iteration of the CPC.

Not to mention the whole dismantling of the provincial healthcare systems to sneak in privatized healthcare. How many more structural changes will the Conservatives sneak in while distracting the populace with this culture war stuff. 

What is the Conservative party going to do for Canada? Aside from giving a platform to yell at Trudeau and emotional satisfaction from owning the libs? 

Trudeau, the guy I voted for, took a balanced budget and immediately turned it into a deficit and never once was on pace for said balanced budget, even though that's what he campaigned on.  He said we'd have a balanced budget by 2019 and we would even have a surplus of up to $1 billion.  Obviously, that never happened either.

He also spent more than he needed to during COVID, people were quitting their jobs because the CERB payments were more than what they were getting at work.  Then he got the CRA to go after people to get some of that money back.  You can talk about the division that the Conservatives are causing, but Trudeau has also caused division in this country by calling anti-vaxxers racists, and whatever other rhetoric he wished to use to rile up his base.  I have friends and people I know that never got vaccinated.  I didn't agree with them and thought they were being stupid, but I never disowned them as friends and never called them racists for not getting vaccinated.

At the end of the day, there seems to be more division in this country now than ever before.  Like you said, you need to change the bathwater every now and then to clean things up.  Trudeau hasn't earned another term in office.  And again, I'll say for the 100th time, PP is not really the answer either.  But unless the Liberals change leadership prior to the next election, I don't see any way for them to win another election with their current leadership in place.

FYI, I don't have a problem with some privatization of healthcare, as it gets people with money out of the system so we don't have a backlog with surgeries and other things.  If someone wants to write a cheque for $6k to get an MRI on their knee and have a knee operation, then that person is out of the cue and someone else who needs it can get it for free in the paid for system.  That's how I see it anyways.  I'm not saying we should abandon the universal healthcare that we already have, what I am saying is there is room to have private healthcare within a universal system...

Here is a great article that talks about the division that Trudeau has caused from the Globe and Mail...

Globe editorial: The failures of politics, and empathy, before the Emergencies Act - The Globe and Mail

There is even a quote from the judge:

One is the role of misinformation in the Freedom Convoy protests of last winter, often taken to mean the susceptibility of the protesters to conspiracy theories. But Justice Rouleau points out that misinformation moved in all directions.

There were “extreme elements” within the protest, he wrote, but “many and perhaps most” of the protesters were simply looking to protest lawfully. Yet, much of the media coverage simply lumped the protesters together with a handful that espoused loathsome and violent views.

So did the Prime Minister. As the protesters made their way to Ottawa, Mr. Trudeau called them a “small fringe minority of people” that held “unacceptable views.”

That demonization was part of an unfortunate pattern from the Prime Minister, who during the 2021 election campaign had labelled anti-vaccine protesters as “very often misogynistic and racist.” More broadly, Mr. Trudeau used vaccination as a wedge issue against his Conservative rivals in that campaign, a move that even one of his own MPs later criticized as a decision “to divide, and to stigmatize.”

Justice Rouleau is circumspect in his critique of Mr. Trudeau’s comments, inferring that he was not referring to all Freedom Convoy participants. That is an overly optimistic assessment, and one that ignores the political motivations at work for the Liberals as they sought first to delegitimize the protest by painting it as a nest of neo-Nazism, and then to tie it to the Conservatives.

Trudeau even admitted he was wrong:

But the justice does go on to point out what the Prime Minister and others should have been saying: that the majority of protesters were “exercising their fundamental democratic rights.” Encouragingly, Mr. Trudeau seems to have taken that part of Mr. Rouleau’s report to heart. Queried by reporters on Friday, Mr. Trudeau said he wished he had chosen different words. Yes, there are a “small number of people that spread misinformation,” he said. “That is a small subset of people who were just hurting, and worried and wanting to be heard.”

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau, the guy I voted for, took a balanced budget and immediately turned it into a deficit and never once was on pace for said balanced budget, even though that's what he campaigned on.  He said we'd have a balanced budget by 2019 and we would even have a surplus of up to $1 billion.  Obviously, that never happened either.

He also spent more than he needed to during COVID, people were quitting their jobs because the CERB payments were more than what they were getting at work.  Then he got the CRA to go after people to get some of that money back.  You can talk about the division that the Conservatives are causing, but Trudeau has also caused division in this country by calling anti-vaxxers racists, and whatever other rhetoric he wished to use to rile up his base.  I have friends and people I know that never got vaccinated.  I didn't agree with them and thought they were being stupid, but I never disowned them as friends and never called them racists for not getting vaccinated.

At the end of the day, there seems to be more division in this country now than ever before.  Like you said, you need to change the bathwater every now and then to clean things up.  Trudeau hasn't earned another term in office.  And again, I'll say for the 100th time, PP is not really the answer either.  But unless the Liberals change leadership prior to the next election, I don't see any way for them to win another election with their current leadership in place.

FYI, I don't have a problem with some privatization of healthcare, as it gets people with money out of the system so we don't have a backlog with surgeries and other things.  If someone wants to write a cheque for $6k to get an MRI on their knee and have a knee operation, then that person is out of the cue and someone else who needs it can get it for free in the paid for system.  That's how I see it anyways.  I'm not saying we should abandon the universal healthcare that we already have, what I am saying is there is room to have private healthcare within a universal system...

Here is a great article that talks about the division that Trudeau has caused from the Globe and Mail...

Globe editorial: The failures of politics, and empathy, before the Emergencies Act - The Globe and Mail

There is even a quote from the judge:

One is the role of misinformation in the Freedom Convoy protests of last winter, often taken to mean the susceptibility of the protesters to conspiracy theories. But Justice Rouleau points out that misinformation moved in all directions.

There were “extreme elements” within the protest, he wrote, but “many and perhaps most” of the protesters were simply looking to protest lawfully. Yet, much of the media coverage simply lumped the protesters together with a handful that espoused loathsome and violent views.

So did the Prime Minister. As the protesters made their way to Ottawa, Mr. Trudeau called them a “small fringe minority of people” that held “unacceptable views.”

That demonization was part of an unfortunate pattern from the Prime Minister, who during the 2021 election campaign had labelled anti-vaccine protesters as “very often misogynistic and racist.” More broadly, Mr. Trudeau used vaccination as a wedge issue against his Conservative rivals in that campaign, a move that even one of his own MPs later criticized as a decision “to divide, and to stigmatize.”

Justice Rouleau is circumspect in his critique of Mr. Trudeau’s comments, inferring that he was not referring to all Freedom Convoy participants. That is an overly optimistic assessment, and one that ignores the political motivations at work for the Liberals as they sought first to delegitimize the protest by painting it as a nest of neo-Nazism, and then to tie it to the Conservatives.

Trudeau even admitted he was wrong:

But the justice does go on to point out what the Prime Minister and others should have been saying: that the majority of protesters were “exercising their fundamental democratic rights.” Encouragingly, Mr. Trudeau seems to have taken that part of Mr. Rouleau’s report to heart. Queried by reporters on Friday, Mr. Trudeau said he wished he had chosen different words. Yes, there are a “small number of people that spread misinformation,” he said. “That is a small subset of people who were just hurting, and worried and wanting to be heard.”

Harper didn't balance the budget.  Just moved numbers around like both sides of the aisle.  Paul Martin actually balanced the budget

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It has very little to do with the Liberals, but it will also have very little to do with the Conservatives as well, so nothing will change.  If the government wants to actually pay down the debt, then yes they will need to cut spending, that is not a foreign concept and was done successfully under the Chretien government.  In fact, Chretien was even able to balance the budget by cutting spending.  This is a foreign concept to Trudeau's government.  We haven't had a balanced budget since the last days of Harper.  And before you start throwing out the usual COVID, world wars and all of the other reasons, Trudeau has been in power since 2016 and promised a balanced budget in 2019, well before COVID.  As a matter of fact, that's what he campaigned on and that is one of the reasons people like me voted for him and why he got elected...

No... things like housing prices have very little to do with the Feds. Affordability, social programs and lower income support and finances get worse under Conservatives. If lower-middle income people think affordability is bad under the Liberals...they're in for an unpleasant surprise.

A balanced budget with all that going on.... Sounds like people around here that were mad we were missing playoffs in rebuilding years.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Reducing immigration rate for a couple years will not tank the economy, unemployment rate is already on the rise at 5.6% there are available workers at the moment.  

An unemployment rate of 5.6% is still insanely low - practically full employment.  If the number keeps going up then you can start using it as an argument.

I know you're just spit balling ideas here but the easiestway for the feds to directly get involved is if they return to socialized housing and neither party is committing to that.  Neither seem that interested in lowering prices either.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

So there are already some issues with your proposal.  Are you proposing we subsidize the property owners or the construction companies?  And who on earth wants to move into rural communities?  You'd be throwing a lot of cash into a program people aren't really interested in taking part.

Immigration is a more complex issue and one that is also a share responsibility with the provinces.  Halting immigration will crater our economy.  It's an awkard place to be in right now.

Might be the only place the gen z'ers will be able to purchase into if things don't change.  FYI, January house sales were 15% higher than last January.  Prices are expected to rise up to 5% this year, maybe more depending on how the rate cuts go.  Multiple offers coming back now too.  There will probably be another wave of real estate price increases prior to the next election.

You said in a post that you don't own a home if I remember correctly.  What kind of plans do you have to purchase one in the future?  Where will you buy?  Where "can" you buy?  

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Harper didn't balance the budget.  Just moved numbers around like both sides of the aisle.  Paul Martin actually balanced the budget

True, he sold some land.  Chretien and Martin are the ones that ran balanced budgets for years.  My point was that Trudeau took a balanced budget and turned it into a deficit in his first year and it got worse each year even prior to COVID.  This was after all of his promises to balance the budget in 2015 and to even be running a $1 billion surplus by 2019...

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not really too many other options, can vote NDP which is just a vote for JT when they just cave to the Liberal party, or throw away vote to the green party ect. Many people in this country want to be Liberal but based on the horses available, I think I'm leaning conservative. Liberal party needs a kick in the pants as they have grown stale.  

I will not cut off my nose to spite my face. 

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

So there are already some issues with your proposal.  Are you proposing we subsidize the property owners or the construction companies?  And who on earth wants to move into rural communities?  You'd be throwing a lot of cash into a program people aren't really interested in taking part.

Immigration is a more complex issue and one that is also a share responsibility with the provinces.  Halting immigration will crater our economy.  It's an awkard place to be in right now.

There are some rural areas in BC both on the island and the mainland that are still nicer and more livable than 90% of the planet. Its hard change of lifestyle moving from a bigger city and being far away from friends and family but more and more people are biting the bullet and living happier lives after a period of adjustment. If all my friends and family weren't nearby me and i wasnt already in the market, I would move out there in a second. A government subsidy would help people who have been priced out of this market grow smaller ones instead of scraping to get by and giving up on ever owning a house.  

• Cheers 2

And who on earth wants to move into rural communities
So it that why I see so many people pouring out of the cities every weekend. I used to be one of them until I said what is the point of staying in a place that I dream all week of getting out of on the weekends. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There are some rural areas in BC both on the island and the mainland that are still nicer and more livable than 90% of the planet. Its hard change of lifestyle moving from a bigger city and being far away from friends and family but more and more people are biting the bullet and living happier lives after a period of adjustment. If all my friends and family weren't nearby me and i wasnt already in the market, I would move out there in a second. A government subsidy would help people who have been priced out of this market grow smaller ones instead of scraping to get by and giving up on ever owning a house.  

I left Vancouver for the Okanagan and have been living happily ever after.   I was a programmer and there was work for me here.  I'm not sure there are enough employment opportunities here or in other parts of BC for a large and rapid influx of people.   I'm all in for promoting rural living but it would take some thought and preparation.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I'm not as worried about the past, more looking at future plans for military spending. As global conflict as taken a major shift over the last two years.  

history-doomed-to-repeat-2-winston-churc

The Conservatives historically, while talking a good game, consistently under fund the military (among other things) more than the Liberals. Have you seen anything that would suggest that would change?

Anyway... If folks are interested in election reform, my local MP Lisa Marie Barron has put forth a motion to form a Canadian Citizens Assembly on electoral reform.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/lisa-marie-barron(111023)/motions/12517157

M-86 CITIZENS' ASSEMBLY ON ELECTORAL REFORM
44TH PARLIAMENT, 1st SESSION

MOTION TEXT
That:

(a) the House recognize that,

(i) representative democracy is a fundamental part of Canadian society,

(ii) in Canada’s current electoral system, the majority of voters cast ballots for a candidate who does not get elected, and many voters feel that election results do not accurately reflect their views,

(iii) a Leger poll conducted in September 2020 showed that 80% of Canadians support the idea of striking a non-partisan, independent citizens’ assembly on electoral reform,

(iv) many Canadians are concerned with the health of Canada’s democracy, including voter distrust and disengagement, low voter turnout, and the polarization of politics,

(v) all politicians, and all parties, are widely perceived by the public to have a vested interest in the design of the electoral system,

(vi) citizens' assemblies have considerable legitimacy and public trust because they are independent, non-partisan, representative bodies of citizens,

(vii) citizens’ assemblies have been used successfully in Canada, Australia, Belgium, France, Ireland, Scotland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom to tackle difficult issues through nuanced public deliberation,

(viii) a citizens' assembly on electoral reform would give citizens a leadership role in building consensus on a specific model for electoral reform for Canada; and

(b) in the opinion of the House, the government should create a Canadian citizens’ assembly on electoral reform, which would,

(i) consist of citizens selected by sortition, an impartial selection process to ensure the assembly’s independence and non-partisanship,

(ii) reflect the diversity of the Canadian population, including a representation and meaningful participation of age groups, genders, ethnicities, languages, socioeconomic backgrounds, and geographic regions including from First Nations, Inuit and Metis peoples,

(iii) determine if electoral reform is recommended for Canada, and, if so, recommend specific measures that would foster a healthier democracy.

You can (and I encourage you to) also sign a petitions supporting it:

https://www.danielblaikie.ca/a_citizens_assembly?utm_campaign=an_exciting_day_for_electoral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=danielblaikie

A representative democracy is a fundamental part of Canadian society, yet Canada's current electoral system means the majority of voters cast their ballot for a candidate who does not get elected.

Canadians across party lines are concerned with the health of Canada's democracy. Now more than ever, we need members of parliament from all political parties to come together and work towards a more fair, more equitable, and more democratic electoral system in Canada.  

We are in a climate crisis, an affordability crisis, a toxic substance crisis, we need parliament to be reflective of the views of Canadians and is representative of the diversity of Canadian population. 

This is why we need electoral reform.

To get there, we need a non-partisan, independent, and reflective Citizens' Assembly working together to build consensus towards the path forward. We know there are many examples of Citizens' Assemblies being used successfully both here at home and abroad, it is time for the Canadian Government to do the same.

If you agree it is time for all Members of Parliament to come together on this crucial issue and you support Lisa Marie Barron's motion (read the full text here) add your name below!

Edited by aGENT