Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 hours ago, Wiggums said:

No no, people took what I said and twisted it.  Yes I used the term "whip it out" but you're trying to make it sound like I said they go in there  just whip it out in front of kids...  You can twist it all you want, that's what the left does.  Twists things, claim bigotry etc.  

That is, actually, what you said.  Perhaps you might consider how you phrase things if you don't want to be considered transphobic. 

On 1/29/2024 at 5:32 PM, Wiggums said:

Crazy.  So, a person with a penis won't be able to go into a female change room and whip it out in front of a little girl?  ....damn bigots

I'm done with this conversation.  Like I said, more Important issues to deal with 

On 1/29/2024 at 6:48 PM, Wiggums said:

Jesus.  I didn't say they are going in there "to do that". And I didn't say they are sexualizing kids, I said the government is at schools.  

On 1/29/2024 at 7:40 PM, Wiggums said:

Yeah I was referring to schools/government and what I said about the changerooms is a little different than saying they're just going in there to do that and that only, which is how you made it out to sound.   You misunderstood what I was saying.   We can stop this conversation now, it's quite painful

Seems like that's exactly what you were saying. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

That is, actually, what you said.  Perhaps you might consider how you phrase things if you don't want to be considered transphobic. 

Seems like that's exactly what you were saying. 

There's a distinct difference between using "and" and "to", what do you not understand about that?   Give it a rest 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

So you'd be less upset if I went to your front door and took a dump on your porch than if I went to your front door to take a dump on your front porch?

You might happen to be there and do it, or you might go there to do it.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Is one worse than the other, or is the act of defecation what's really important here?

If you go there specifically to take a dump and do it, then that is premeditation, similar to 1st degree murder.  If you just happen to be there and then take a dump anyways, then that is similar to 2nd degree murder.  You are still going to jail for murder, but you won't stay as long for the second crime, so there is technically a distinction under the law...

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Might be the only place the gen z'ers will be able to purchase into if things don't change.  FYI, January house sales were 15% higher than last January.  Prices are expected to rise up to 5% this year, maybe more depending on how the rate cuts go.  Multiple offers coming back now too.  There will probably be another wave of real estate price increases prior to the next election.

You said in a post that you don't own a home if I remember correctly.  What kind of plans do you have to purchase one in the future?  Where will you buy?  Where "can" you buy?  

I have two options for staying here.

1) Save up and live the dream in a dinky condo

2) Blow my savings on Set for Life scratch-and-win

If option 2 fails, I hear Tent City on Hastings is always accepting new tenants.

On a more serious note, keep in mind that Poilievre has only made vague promises regarding housing supply.  He has made no promises regarding housing prices.  That would go against his investor base.  Liberals are guilty of that mindset too, no doubt.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If option 2 fails, I hear Tent City on Hastings is always accepting new tenants.

On a more serious note, keep in mind that Poilievre has only made vague promises regarding housing supply.  He has made no promises regarding housing prices.  That would go against his investor base.  Liberals are guilty of that mindset too, no doubt.

Well, I am hoping that you go for option #1.  Option #2 might not work out too well for you...

With Bill 44 and Bill 47 coming into law this year in BC, I don't expect anything to get cheaper.  The expectation is that property values will continue to go up.  2025 is supposed to be the year that we see a real increase in prices in Vancouver.  Sorry to say, but unless you are able to get into the market in the next 12-18 months, it might be almost impossible to do it, ever.  This is why the gen z'ers are so pissed off.  They all know they are fucked.  I'm not saying that it's all Trudeau's fault, but in general the gen z'ers know that the politicians have screwed their lives forever and there is no going back.

In terms of real estate advice, my advice to you is to try and get into the market in any location.  Even if you have to buy and then just rent it out for awhile.  I know people who have bought in Kamloops, even in Prince George, and eventually were able to sell those properties, get some equity built up and then use that equity to buy a dinky condo in Vancouver.

Another option is to buy a place with a friend, or friends.  I have a feeling alot of gen z'ers are going to be buying dinky condos together, unless they have rich parents.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Wiggums said:

There's a distinct difference between using "and" and "to", what do you not understand about that?   Give it a rest 

Cool. So we've reached the point where semantics will be used to justify transphobic statements.

"And" and "To" both imply you think they'll do it no matter whether it was premeditated or not.

But I suppose "Wiggums went to the CFF and made a transphobic statement" is better than "Wiggums went to the CFF to make a transphobic statement"?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

So you'd be less upset if I went to your front door and took a dump on your porch than if I went to your front door to take a dump on your front porch?

image.gif.6ce77be7e6cfe3a9ad01f728650501a0.gif

Pretty much what I was thinking as well....

What a lame attempt to cover up the fact that @StrayDog completely blew up his claim....:classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

you have a 3rd option. If a big house is the main thing you care about, you can move to where you can afford one. Just saying its an option. 

Personally I like condo life. I had a house with a big yard and was happy to sell that off. But I also hate lawns.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you go there specifically to take a dump and do it, then that is premeditation, similar to 1st degree murder.  If you just happen to be there and then take a dump anyways, then that is similar to 2nd degree murder.  You are still going to jail for murder, but you won't stay as long for the second crime, so there is technically a distinction under the law...

Think about the ridiculous nature of the post you're trying to defend Petey....

In Wiggums' fever dream a trans person walks into a girls' washroom at an elementary school and "whips it out" in front of a little girl. The way you two describe it, the discussion down at the police station now has to focus on whether they went into the bathroom with the intention of finding a little girl to whip it out in front of, or if they just happened to come across a little girl and thought "What the hey"....

See how absolutely ridiculous and utterly transphobic this sounds?

Just my opinion man, but IMO, you were better off trying to defend Pollievre's nonexistent fiscal policies and trying to convince everyone that Hair Boy is the worst PM in like, forever.....

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, Spur1 said:

And who on earth wants to move into rural communities
So it that why I see so many people pouring out of the cities every weekend. I used to be one of them until I said what is the point of staying in a place that I dream all week of getting out of on the weekends. 

Me.

Prince Rupert was the last gig for the band I was in, when we called it quits. I got a job offer from the bar we were playing at, so I decided to stay. (Was living in Victoria before that)

Never once regretted that decision. And yes, I do own a home. (technically, the bank owns most of it, but, you know....)

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

you have a 3rd option. If a big house is the main thing you care about, you can move to where you can afford one. Just saying its an option. 

Personally I like condo life. I had a house with a big yard and was happy to sell that off. But I also hate lawns.

The key to that is to just not have lawns 😉

I've got a nice cul-de-sac lot that simply doesn't have lawn at all. Pie shaped with a driveway, plants, rock retaining wall and small creeping thyme path. Back yard has a low maintenance small micro clover and bee blend lawn (mostly for the dog) that hardly requires mowing, rock, planters, raised garden beds etc.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well, I am hoping that you go for option #1.  Option #2 might not work out too well for you...

With Bill 44 and Bill 47 coming into law this year in BC, I don't expect anything to get cheaper.  The expectation is that property values will continue to go up.  2025 is supposed to be the year that we see a real increase in prices in Vancouver.  Sorry to say, but unless you are able to get into the market in the next 12-18 months, it might be almost impossible to do it, ever.  This is why the gen z'ers are so pissed off.  They all know they are fucked.  I'm not saying that it's all Trudeau's fault, but in general the gen z'ers know that the politicians have screwed their lives forever and there is no going back.

In terms of real estate advice, my advice to you is to try and get into the market in any location.  Even if you have to buy and then just rent it out for awhile.  I know people who have bought in Kamloops, even in Prince George, and eventually were able to sell those properties, get some equity built up and then use that equity to buy a dinky condo in Vancouver.

Another option is to buy a place with a friend, or friends.  I have a feeling alot of gen z'ers are going to be buying dinky condos together, unless they have rich parents.  

I don't know why more people don't buy out of town and build equity. Best plan is to find the next place about to have a bit of a "boom". Haven't looked at places like Kitimat to see what prices are doing there (might be too late) but places with major industry starting up are usually a good bet.

Buy a house with a suite, rent both out, cover your mortgage +, and build equity. If you save enough of the "+", you might even be able to afford a 2nd place down the line and have two "+" of passive income.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What about if you accidently dump on the porch? (I have no idea what you guys are talking about btw, but I have seen this exact analogy stream used before. lol)

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The key to that is to just not have lawns 😉

I've got a nice cul-de-sac lot that simply doesn't have lawn at all. Pie shaped with a driveway, plants, rock retaining wall and small creeping thyme path. Back yard has a low maintenance small micro clover and bee blend lawn (mostly for the dog) that hardly requires mowing, rock, planters, raised garden beds etc.

that sounds like work. 

Turns out I just wasn't a house guy. All the extra work, rooms to fill, etc. just took away from stuff I enjoyed. Plus selling it allowed us to get out from under a big mortgage many years early. 

But thats just my preference. I totally get why someone would want a house and yard. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah it is very important to maintain great working relations with our allies and encourage deeper collaboration, for me its not as pressing of an issues as 75% of our exports go to the USA anyways. Logistically is just makes so much sense given they are the biggest customer on the planet and we share a massive land border with them. As transportation technology improves it will be important to expand our global reach. Military spending I think will help with this as well, as Countries like USA, UK, Australia, and South Korea have strengthened their bonds through military coordination as well recently.      

Integration into the American economy has pros and cons. IMHO Canada's lack of a comprehensive industrial strategy is a national security threat. Both the DNC and GOP parties in the USA have historically demonstrated a willingness to ignore their trade treaties in deference to their internal politics. Quite frankly I do not think many Americans actually consider Canada an independent country. Mexico has passed Canada as the USA's largest trading partner. It does not help that Canada has abdicated much of our sovereign responsibilities to the Americans. 

Not popular with the ESG crowd but IMO Canada should be maxing energy exports to provide the revenue required by all levels of government to fund industrial development and social programs and debt service. I cannot think of another country that is handicaping their energy industries to limit CO2 emissions. The classic example is Norway. The same Norway that pointed a finger at heavy oil production as they expanded their own production. The Norway Sovereign Wealth Fund now exceeds $1.4 trillion. Oh, yes, the Americans are now the largest LNG exporters in the world and their crude oil production exceeds all time highs of 

13.4 million bpd. They are eating our lunch and it does even make the news here.  

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True, he sold some land.  Chretien and Martin are the ones that ran balanced budgets for years.  My point was that Trudeau took a balanced budget and turned it into a deficit in his first year and it got worse each year even prior to COVID.  This was after all of his promises to balance the budget in 2015 and to even be running a $1 billion surplus by 2019...

Chretian put Martin to work balancing the budget after a phone call from the World Bank. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Chretian put Martin to work balancing the budget after a phone call from the World Bank. 

Martin does deserve a lot of credit for getting the job done, and providing us with a great banking system. 

• Cheers 2