Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Martin does deserve a lot of credit for getting the job done, and providing us with a great banking system. 

He was a way better finance minister, than prime minister.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Integration into the American economy has pros and cons. IMHO Canada's lack of a comprehensive industrial strategy is a national security threat. Both the DNC and GOP parties in the USA have historically demonstrated a willingness to ignore their trade treaties in deference to their internal politics. Quite frankly I do not think many Americans actually consider Canada an independent country. Mexico has passed Canada as the USA's largest trading partner. It does not help that Canada has abdicated much of our sovereign responsibilities to the Americans. 

Not popular with the ESG crowd but IMO Canada should be maxing energy exports to provide the revenue required by all levels of government to fund industrial development and social programs and debt service. I cannot think of another country that is handicaping their energy industries to limit CO2 emissions. The classic example is Norway. The same Norway that pointed a finger at heavy oil production as they expanded their own production. The Norway Sovereign Wealth Fund now exceeds $1.4 trillion. Oh, yes, the Americans are now the largest LNG exporters in the world and their crude oil production exceeds all time highs of 

13.4 million bpd. They are eating our lunch and it does even make the news here.  

Yeah prioritizing green initiatives over the economy is not a smart play. Canada is already one of the environmentally friendly countries on the planet and most of our citizens try to reduce their own footprints already. The extra money can be used to invest in infrastructure and technology which will likely be where we likely find the solution to climate change. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1707241120866.jpg

I wouldn't be opposed to a government run grocery chain, setting the prices at a level that forces these parasites to stop the price gouging.  Otherwise, we need to be looking at real solutions for this level of greed, including prison time for everyone in the picture and the executives of offending companies.

Edited by King Heffy

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a government run grocery chain, setting the prices at a level that forces these parasites to stop the price gouging.  Otherwise, we need to be looking at real solutions for this level of greed, including prison time for everyone in the picture and the executives of offending companies.

So many things that were deregulated and privatized that should never have been.  The CONs conned us.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So many things that were deregulated and privatized that should never have been.  The CONs conned us.

The only thing trickling down in their economy is urine on the hooker they hired.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Think about the ridiculous nature of the post you're trying to defend Petey....

In Wiggums' fever dream a trans person walks into a girls' washroom at an elementary school and "whips it out" in front of a little girl. The way you two describe it, the discussion down at the police station now has to focus on whether they went into the bathroom with the intention of finding a little girl to whip it out in front of, or if they just happened to come across a little girl and thought "What the hey"....

See how absolutely ridiculous and utterly transphobic this sounds?

Just my opinion man, but IMO, you were better off trying to defend Pollievre's nonexistent fiscal policies and trying to convince everyone that Hair Boy is the worst PM in like, forever.....

I wasn’t defending anything. I simply stated that under the law premeditation is treated differently. So rather than get upset about it and try and lump me in as being transphobic you can simply acknowledge the distinction between the two actions. 

This is also important if there is an actual assault that takes place. I’m pretty sure Crown Counsel will want to determine whether the action was premeditated or not as the law treats premeditation differently. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wasn’t defending anything. I simply stated that under the law premeditation is treated differently. So rather than get upset about it and try and lump me in as being transphobic you can simply acknowledge the distinction between the two actions. 

This is also important if there is an actual assault that takes place. I’m pretty sure Crown Counsel will want to determine whether the action was premeditated or not as the law treats premeditation differently. 

Absolute garbage. It was pure semantics and you jumped in, because one of your right wing cronies had made a fool out of himself.

Also, I didn't lump you in as transphobic. I was calling the other poster's rhetoric transphobic and asked if you could not see that it was.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

The key to that is to just not have lawns 😉

I've got a nice cul-de-sac lot that simply doesn't have lawn at all. Pie shaped with a driveway, plants, rock retaining wall and small creeping thyme path. Back yard has a low maintenance small micro clover and bee blend lawn (mostly for the dog) that hardly requires mowing, rock, planters, raised garden beds etc.

You could get artificial turf installed instead of grass. I know many people who have done that, especially in their backyard. It gives you the illusion of grass, is almost zero maintenance and the kids can still play on it. 

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Absolute garbage. It was pure semantics and you jumped in, because one of your right wing cronies had made a fool out of himself.

Also, I didn't lump you in as transphobic. I was calling the other poster's rhetoric transphobic and asked if you could not see that it was.

No it’s not garbage Rupert. My post was in direct response to qualifying the distinction between premeditation and just being there and doing it. Very simple but you seem to always get the worst out of a post as you predetermine and judge things simply based on the poster. Case in point, “right wing cronies”. See how you conveniently “lumped” me in with the other poster just to try and make your point?  

Not all right wingers are the same. I’m actually a centrist as I actually have voted mostly Liberal federally my entire adult life. Even moreso than you. I even voted for Trudeau in 2015 unlike you and many others. So I’m really not that right wing loonie that you try and portray me as. I’m just a regular Canadian who is sick and tired of the bullshit. All of these so called politicians can go to hell as far as I’m concerned. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No it’s not garbage Rupert. My post was in direct response to qualifying the distinction between premeditation and just being there and doing it. Very simple but you seem to always get the worst out of a post as you predetermine and judge things simply based on the poster. Case in point, “right wing cronies”. See how you conveniently “lumped” me in with the other poster just to try and make your point?  

Not all right wingers are the same. I’m actually a centrist as I actually have voted mostly Liberal federally my entire adult life. Even moreso than you. I even voted for Trudeau in 2015 unlike you and many others. So I’m really not that right wing loonie that you try and portray me as. I’m just a regular Canadian who is sick and tired of the bullshit. All of these so called politicians can go to hell as far as I’m concerned. 

Blah, blah blah....you were defending your boy. It's such a stupid distinction, that there would be no other reason to make it. You can pretend otherwise all you like, but I think you're full of shit.

I also don't GAF about what you claim your personal politics are. Your posting on these boards speaks volumes.

• Confused 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Blah, blah blah....you were defending your boy. It's such a stupid distinction, that there would be no other reason to make it. You can pretend otherwise all you like, but I think you're full of shit.

I also don't GAF about what you claim your personal politics are. Your posting on these boards speaks volumes.

I think you’re full of shit too. So it’s a mutual feeling. You got caught trying to label me as transphobic without actually saying it. And then you tried to emphasize that by lumping me in with another right wing poster. My “right wing cronies” as you call them.

The fact that you are still trying to label me again by saying “your posting on these boards speaks volumes” is just one more attempt by you at trying to lump me in with the others. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think you’re full of shit too. So it’s a mutual feeling. You got caught trying to label me as transphobic without actually saying it. And then you tried to emphasize that by lumping me in with another right wing poster. My “right wing cronies” as you call them.

The fact that you are still trying to label me again by saying “your posting on these boards speaks volumes” is just one more attempt by you at trying to lump me in with the others. 

Yeah, the constant Trudeau bashing and Pollievre cheeleading has nothing to do with it.

Carry on with your "centrism"....:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You could get artificial turf installed instead of grass. I know many people who have done that, especially in their backyard. It gives you the illusion of grass, is almost zero maintenance and the kids can still play on it. 

I'm all for the elimination of grass but I don't think artificial turf is the way to go.  It may give the illusion of grass but it's really just a large swath of plastic.

What are the side effects of artificial turf?

Phthalates which have adverse effects on the reproductive organs, lungs, kidneys and liver. Crumb rubber can degrade from weather and microbes, producing new chemicals. Toxic components can be breathed in, accidentally ingested, contact the skin, and leach into surface water and groundwater.

What are the toxins in artificial turf?

Synthetic grass usually contains PFAS chemicals. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, PFAS chemicals are a known carcinogen which can interfere with hormones, reproduction, immunity and cause developmental delays in children.

Why is artificial turf banned?

Why it matters: Synthetic grass usually contains PFAS chemicals that are a known carcinogen, which can interfere with hormones, reproduction, immunity and cause developmental delays in children.

• Vintage 2

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The post in question was about change rooms being shared by someone with a pecker and someone without one..which is a thing.   "Whipping it out" refers to something we all do once we enter a change room...we "whip it out" and get changed...  Saying someone is there AND whips it out whilst a little girl is around is a lot different than saying someone goes in there TO whip it out in front of a little girl ...

Now nearing a week of explaining this.  Might be a new record.

Cheers

Edited by Wiggums

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No it’s not garbage Rupert. My post was in direct response to qualifying the distinction between premeditation and just being there and doing it.

I won't weigh into the legal aspects of this odd conversation but I think people should ask their doctor about any poo that is not premeditated.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

The post in question was about change rooms being shared by someone with a pecker and someone without one..which is a thing.   "Whipping it out" refers to something we all do once we enter a change room...we "whip it out" and get changed...  Saying someone is there AND whips it out whilst a little girl is around is a lot different than saying someone goes in there TO whip it out in front of a little girl ...

Now nearing a week of explaining this.  Might be a new record.

Cheers

I don't know so much about you, but I have never just randomly "whipped it out" in any kind of public space without first checking who's around. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I don't know so much about you, but I have never just randomly "whipped it out" in any kind of public space without first checking who's around. 

Me neither.  I also ain't in a hurry to have anyone else in the room eyeballing my junk, regardless of gender.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Artificial turf is garbage for the environment. It also gets EXTREMELY hot in the sun (no walking barefoot, and yay, another architectural heat sink we don't need) and stinks to hell if you have dogs, even after a hose down... Nope. Not a solution.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, the constant Trudeau bashing and Pollievre cheeleading has nothing to do with it.

Carry on with your "centrism"....:classic_rolleyes:

We definitely have a love hate relationship Rupert.  Two days ago, I loved you.  Today I hate you.  Maybe tomorrow I will love you again.  We will see.  Thank God we aren't married, or I would have killed you by now.  Of course, I would never try and plan it ahead of time, that would be premeditation on my part, it would be a random act so I wouldn't get life in prison.  

This is my funny way of saying let's end this little tiff and carry on my friend.  Notice how I called you my 'friend"?  You are not my enemy Rupert, regardless of your political beliefs...  😊  

8 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

It's just all so lame....

"I wasn't being transphobic when I talked about a trans person whipping it out in front of a little girl"......and then "I wasn't defending the transphobic comment when I pointed out the difference between planning on whipping it out and just whipping it out on spur of the moment"....:frantic:

And the usual cast of characters are "confused" by my reaction.....:picard:

• Cheers 3