Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/yaroslav-hunka-justin-trudeau-volodymyr-zelenskyy-parliament

"Despite Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s frequent claim that he had no forewarning of an SS veteran being invited to Parliament, new evidence has emerged to show that Trudeau’s office not only knew, but invited the man to a separate event on the same day."

"Despite Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s frequent claim that he had no forewarning of an SS veteran being invited to Parliament, new evidence has emerged to show that Trudeau’s office not only knew, but invited the man to a separate event on the same day."

On Sept. 22, 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka was feted as a guest of honour on Parliament Hill during the visit of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

After then-speaker Anthony Rota introduced Hunka as a Second World War veteran who “fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians,” Hunka was treated to a standing ovation by assembled MPs, senators and Zelenskyy himself.

Only afterwards did cursory research reveal that Hunka’s war service had been with the Galicia Division, a Waffen-SS volunteer unit that was loyal to Nazi Germany and participated in the attempted conquest of the Soviet Union. Additionally, its members participated in several documented war crimes, including a full-scale massacre of the Polish village of Huta Pieniacka.

Since the scandal broke, Trudeau and his ministers have consistently maintained that Hunka’s appearance was entirely the fault of Rota, who had invited the 98-year-old.

While the prime minister would offer his “unreserved apologies” for the fiasco, he blamed Rota for failing to vet Hunka, thus placing Parliamentarians into a scenario where they were “unaware of the context” of the man they were applauding.

“It’s clear that there was a mistake made here and it’s something that we have to look at in terms of future visits from world leaders to ensure that it never happens again,” said Trudeau at the time.

But an emailed invitation, first obtained by The Rebel through an access to information request, seems to show that Trudeau’s office not only had advance knowledge of Hunka’s arrival, but even invited him to a reception with Zelenskyy.

“The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, is pleased to invite you to a special event,” reads a message sent to Hunka by the Office of Protocol of Canada.

The event was a reception in Toronto with Zelenskyy and his wife scheduled for 8:30 p.m. the day of Zelenskyy’s visit to Parliament

Lol imagine my surprise 

7 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/yaroslav-hunka-justin-trudeau-volodymyr-zelenskyy-parliament

On Sept. 22, 98-year-old Yaroslav Hunka was feted as a guest of honour on Parliament Hill during the visit of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

After then-speaker Anthony Rota introduced Hunka as a Second World War veteran who “fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians,” Hunka was treated to a standing ovation by assembled MPs, senators and Zelenskyy himself.

Only afterwards did cursory research reveal that Hunka’s war service had been with the Galicia Division, a Waffen-SS volunteer unit that was loyal to Nazi Germany and participated in the attempted conquest of the Soviet Union. Additionally, its members participated in several documented war crimes, including a full-scale massacre of the Polish village of Huta Pieniacka.

Since the scandal broke, Trudeau and his ministers have consistently maintained that Hunka’s appearance was entirely the fault of Rota, who had invited the 98-year-old.

While the prime minister would offer his “unreserved apologies” for the fiasco, he blamed Rota for failing to vet Hunka, thus placing Parliamentarians into a scenario where they were “unaware of the context” of the man they were applauding.

“It’s clear that there was a mistake made here and it’s something that we have to look at in terms of future visits from world leaders to ensure that it never happens again,” said Trudeau at the time.

But an emailed invitation, first obtained by The Rebel through an access to information request, seems to show that Trudeau’s office not only had advance knowledge of Hunka’s arrival, but even invited him to a reception with Zelenskyy.

“The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, is pleased to invite you to a special event,” reads a message sent to Hunka by the Office of Protocol of Canada.

The event was a reception in Toronto with Zelenskyy and his wife scheduled for 8:30 p.m. the day of Zelenskyy’s visit to Parliament

Lol imagine my surprise 

Ooh "evidence" 

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

24 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Lol imagine my surprise 

image.gif.2c576ccff911b01f2adb3e3d92e31b7c.gif

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, no worries.  I understand the back and forth now.  And to be honest, this thread is about Candian politics, and it seems to have been sidetracked by other issues for the last 10-15 pages or so.  

Unfortunately, one side of our political discourse has trouble actually granting equal rights to EVERYONE, as per our charter, and keeps foisting it in to Canadian political discourse.

Maybe, like the fearsome tranny in a girls washroom they're all so worried about, they should take their own advice and keep their foisting to themselves? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ooh "evidence" 

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doesn't even make top 3

The latest smoking gun appears to be more of a wet pool noodle, yet again.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The latest smoking gun appears to be more of a wet pool noodle, yet again.

I know. I don't mind having a lying buffoon for a prime minister. What does it matter anyways? It's not like he can do anything or is responsible for anything right.?

• Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Lol imagine my surprise 

I won't go into a more detailed post I made at the time this happened but to say the biggest regret is the lost opportunity for people to better understand the times that Ukrainians were faced with as they tried to defend themselves from Russian genocide. The options Hunka had were limited. No one on here has any idea of who he is and what he did or did not do. He has never been accused of war crimes.

I suspect that Rota's constituency experience did not warm him of Hunka's life. Somewhat surprised that an invitation to a reception would not have required a security check. The invitation to a reception was probably automatic since Rota introduced him to the House.

Other than the lost education opportunity this whole event appears pretty innocent on Rota's and the PMO's account. Lots to be upset about with Trudeau but not this.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't like Trudeau, but until the Conservative-minded people can come up with ideas I can get behind, along with stopping their fear-mongering, I don't have much of a choice in who to vote for. 😞

All these articles meant to bash Trudeau while not even saying how the problem can be "solved" (other than with them being in power, because you know.... who needs details...) just drives me away from voting Conservative.

Edit: And yes, I've voted for Trudeau before. I've also voted Conservative before. Does that satisfy everyone's superficial needs for me to be "legit"? lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't like Trudeau, but until the Conservative-minded people can come up with ideas I can get behind, along with stopping their fear-mongering, I don't have much of a choice in who to vote for. 😞

All these articles meant to bash Trudeau while not even saying how the problem can be "solved" (other than with them being in power, because you know.... who needs details...) just drives me away from voting Conservative.

Edit: And yes, I've voted for Trudeau before. I've also voted Conservative before. Does that satisfy everyone's superficial needs for me to be "legit"? lol

I have voted for Trudeau's team every election from 2015 to present and i will vote for them again. Not because I love Trudeau, like every person he has faults, but because there is no legitimate better team to run Canada yet. the PPC won't do it, ever, the Greens won't do it, ever. The NDP aside from one year with Jack Layton dying of cancer can't get above 18% support so they won't do it. 

That leaves CON MEN and LIB TARDS. (Self deprecating humour, not aiming that at anyone but me) and of the two, I would rather have Liberals in charge than Conservatives. 

Tough times is Tory Times. Chrétien had that right. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The article is citing the Rebel.  I'll wait until something is found by a legitimate source.

It's a National Post hit piece anyway, King....

At question here is whether Trudeau knew they were inviting a Nazi to Parliament, which he denies. The so-called "evidence" shows that he knew they were inviting a former Ukrainian soldier....not that he knew about that soldier's background.

Nothing to see here.....unless you are trying really hard to see something....

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

No, not at all.   We all know which way their op eds and editorials will slant though.

This site I find is a good resource for that, seeing which way an article is leaning.

Or see how an issue is reported on both ends of the aisle.

https://www.allsides.com/news-source/national-post-media-bias

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I think being accurate is for more important but damn, they are right of center... That's terrible i guess we shouldn't believe them at all?

It means they're going to use words and opinions that are meant to sway people towards the right. Sure, they will provide facts, but their use of facts are likely to take out some context that would go against what they're saying.

I always look for sources that are least biased. That way I'm not getting the right or left (note that I'm saying both) sway and just getting a balanced idea on what's happening.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It means they're going to use words and opinions that are meant to sway people towards the right. Sure, they will provide facts, but their use of facts are likely to take out some context that would go against what they're saying.

I always look for sources that are least biased. That way I'm not getting the right or left (note that I'm saying both) sway and just getting a balanced idea on what's happening.

For me it's more about the fake stuff PP puts out. He has no good ideas, just spin.