Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, but did he appear in brownface 20 years ago? Or change the words to the National Anthem?

Or unjustifiably use the emergency act against people protesting for freedom? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Malibu said:

I wonder if the charges against Trump are for posession of the documents or failure to return them when asked. Sounds like just another rationalization. 

There would be no charges if he had returned them when asked.

Instead, he stalled and attempted to hide the fact that he hadn't returned them.

• Cheers 2

Canada could be headed to an election as soon as next month

• An election isn't due until October 2025.
  •  

If you've seen any Canadian polls lately, you know that time is running out for Justin Trudeau and his Liberal Party in Canada. They're currently trailing the Conservative Party by a margin of around 40%-26% with support steadily eroding.

Fixed election date laws mean there doesn't need to be an election until October 2025 but the Liberals currently have a minority government held up by support from the NDP.

Yesterday, NDP leader Jagmeet Singh threatened 'consequences' if a national pharmacare bill isn't introduced by March 1. The support agreement between the two parties required the Liberals to introduce pharmacare by the end of 2023. That was extended to March 1 and yesterday, Singh and Trudeau met regarding stalled progress.

"It was a tough meeting," Singh told reporters. "I made it clear to the PM that we expect legislation, and we expect the government to take steps to go beyond that, and we expect that by the first of March."

This is something we're very serious about. We're not going to extend this further. We are very serious that pharmacare has to be delivered. We need to see legislation and some additional steps and I made that very clear to the Prime Minister. I put him on notice. We expect that by March 1, if not, there will be repercussions."

Normally, Canadian elections are largely a non-event for the currency but given the near-certainty that Conservatives would win and Trudeau's unpopularity, I would expect bids in the loonie.

Conservatives have been coy on offering solutions, saying it will come during an election. I would expect the usual mix of tax cuts and spending cuts though given their polling lead, they may choose to remain vague.

What are the chances a spring election happens? A few days ago I would have said 5% but after these comments, I'd put it around 15%. The NDP hasn't been able to capitalize on failing Liberal fortunes and it may be looking for a tangible issue where they can say they've held the Liberals to account

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

•  

If you've seen any Canadian polls lately, you know that time is running out for Justin Trudeau and his Liberal Party in Canada. They're currently trailing the Conservative Party by a margin of around 40%-26% with support steadily eroding.

Fixed election date laws mean there doesn't need to be an election until October 2025 but the Liberals currently have a minority government held up by support from the NDP.

Yesterday, NDP leader Jagmeet Singh threatened 'consequences' if a national pharmacare bill isn't introduced by March 1. The support agreement between the two parties required the Liberals to introduce pharmacare by the end of 2023. That was extended to March 1 and yesterday, Singh and Trudeau met regarding stalled progress.

"It was a tough meeting," Singh told reporters. "I made it clear to the PM that we expect legislation, and we expect the government to take steps to go beyond that, and we expect that by the first of March."

This is something we're very serious about. We're not going to extend this further. We are very serious that pharmacare has to be delivered. We need to see legislation and some additional steps and I made that very clear to the Prime Minister. I put him on notice. We expect that by March 1, if not, there will be repercussions."

Normally, Canadian elections are largely a non-event for the currency but given the near-certainty that Conservatives would win and Trudeau's unpopularity, I would expect bids in the loonie.

Conservatives have been coy on offering solutions, saying it will come during an election. I would expect the usual mix of tax cuts and spending cuts though given their polling lead, they may choose to remain vague.

What are the chances a spring election happens? A few days ago I would have said 5% but after these comments, I'd put it around 15%. The NDP hasn't been able to capitalize on failing Liberal fortunes and it may be looking for a tangible issue where they can say they've held the Liberals to account

We'd be better off moving forward with the dental plan.  A national pharmacare program benefits Canadians far too much for it to have a chance of surviving PP.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

•  

I looks like a win win of sorts.  Don't get it, and you can play the we held them to account card.  Get it, and you get to say you got Canadians something the Liberals weren't keen on doing.

I'd prefer the latter 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

•  

But the NDP can read polls, too.   If there's an election soon it's probably going to result in a Conservative majority.  Which means the NDP will drop from having some influence on government policy to having no influence on government policy.  And it could also result in a reduced number of seats.  Not a desirable outcome.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

https://www.ipolitics.ca/news/liberal-conservative-voting-coalition-kills-electoral-reform-motion

And this is why we shouldn't be electing either of the two main parties... Looks like they can in fact work together... As long as it's fucking over Canadians.

What outcome did you expect?  Yes, both parties are the same.  Most normal people know this which is why they won’t be voting for Trudeau again. I saw my uncle yesterday.  Had dinner with him.  He has always voted Liberal his entire life.  He told me that Trudeau has to go.  Everyone I know tells me the same thing.  I don’t know anybody in Vancouver who is going to vote for Trudeau other than maybe a few posters in this thread…

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What outcome did you expect?  Yes, both parties are the same.  Most normal people know this which is why they won’t be voting for Trudeau again. I saw my uncle yesterday.  Had dinner with him.  He has always voted Liberal his entire life.  He told me that Trudeau has to go.  Everyone I know tells me the same thing.  I don’t know anybody in Vancouver who is going to vote for Trudeau other than maybe a few posters in this thread…

They don’t have to vote for JT. They just have to vote Liberal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

But the NDP can read polls, too.   If there's an election soon it's probably going to result in a Conservative majority.  Which means the NDP will drop from having some influence on government policy to having no influence on government policy.  And it could also result in a reduced number of seats.  Not a desirable outcome.

And, the obvious: the NDP are bankrupt or close to it. They were in debt millions last time I checked, but maybe paid that off by now? 2 years ago they were considering selling their national HQ building.