Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Look at Alberta. The ndp ruined what was once the strongest economical province. 

Ralf Klein was a great PM.

I'm not sure why the west is so anti conservative.

Go to the interior, Kamloops pg Kelowna etc etc .. it's a sea of blue. The heart of bc 

tell us what happened to oil in mid 2014.

Tell us what the NDP did ruin Alberta.  Specifically

No no this will be fun.  I dare you to try.  Go ahead.  When you do, let us know what happened in 2014 and how it had nothing to do with Alberta's single source economy 

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

As a moderate conservative I actually agree with most of this. The antics of the CPC is what’s holding them back. Let’s turn our head to the left as well though. There is no shortage of protest on that side of the spectrum either. Both sides have extremes and unfortunately those are the voices we hear. The vast majority of Canadians are centre leaning. Neither party represents the majority. You just have to stomach the arrogance and prioritize your needs. 

100% LB

People need to accept their own actions as being part of the issue instead of just blaming others.

The pendulum swung so hard it blurred the lines and exposed the extremists on both sides.

Little of that was a federal issue it was almost all provincial and personal choice

• Cheers 2

You people preach this as a good and safe place to talk politics but the moment a conservative supporter steps in here or anyone that has a disagreement it's a full on left mob.

This should be renamed the toxic left politics orgy thread. 

I have my views, I don't need to answer to nobody. I'm sick and tired of the housing market and cost of living and I want a new voice.

It's pathetic 

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

You people preach this as a good and safe place to talk politics but the moment a conservative supporter steps in here or anyone that has a disagreement it's a full on left mob.

I have my views, I don't need to answer to nobody. I'm sick and tired of the housing market and cost of living and I want a new voice.

It's pathetic 

Wrong 

LaBamba is literally typing away as you post this myth.

You just are making giant claims with no back up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

As I Said in my first ever post. I've been lurking a long time and I felt compelled to make an account cause I seen how everyone was on top of another poster for not agreeing with the school system and what it's doing and his children. Exercising his basic right as a parent and the left mob attacks.

Now I tell all that I'm a conservative supporter. I even mentioned that I used to vote liberal and I get attacked.

This mob mentality is why I will never vote liberal or ndp. Wolves in sheep's clothing with a holier than thou attitude.

The cons will win.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Well in the freedom convoy a few nazi flag bearers invaded the convoy widely condemned. Now the government literally applauded a nazi. No outrage lol

Older Ukrainian-Canadians have a long, complicated history with the old Soviet Union, and it starts with the Holodomor.  Resistance against the Soviets would often result in collaboration with their Nazi rivals. The 14th Waffen SS has an equally complicated history.

I am not familiar with Yaroslav Hunka.  He was a young teenager at the time so his motivations were likely to fight the Soviets, not pro-Nazi.  As for what he and his combat unit actually did during the war...?  No easy way to answer it.  It's not a great look for Parliament, I can tell you that for free.

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's pathetic 

You’re entitled to your political views. There are other posters who disagree with your reasons for your views and just want you to explain why you see things (politically) like you do. 
Personally I vote for my local candidate. But with Pepe as the leader of the Conservative Party, if my preferred local candidate was a Conservative Party member I wouldn’t vote for them. JT didn’t impact my local vote in that way, even though I didn’t care much for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's pathetic 

Lol yes you're the victim.

Look at hammer and labamba.  See how they're engaging?  That's discussion.

You've been asked to speak about your statements and points of view a few times and instead you just got your back up.  You lied about things and then doubled down and are now playing the victim like you're being silenced 

Grow up muffin.  Life isn't that easy and you're definitely not tough enough to survive it if you don't start understanding you have to have conviction enough to stand up for what you're stating with evidence and facts when you make absolute statements

Be more like Hammer and LaBamba.  Have a backbone 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

As I Said in my first ever post. I've been lurking a long time and I felt compelled to make an account cause I seen how everyone was on top of another poster for not agreeing with the school system and what it's doing and his children. Exercising his basic right as a parent and the left mob attacks.

Now I tell all that I'm a conservative supporter. I even mentioned that I used to vote liberal and I get attacked.

This mob mentality is why I will never vote liberal or ndp. Wolves in sheep's clothing with a holier than thou attitude.

The cons will win.

Please stop being a victim and trying to only see things your way.

The poster was calling people mentally ill for the way they were born. He was throwing insults out to everyone. The reciepts are there for you to look at. 

It's not mob mentality. We have many Con supporters on here, in this thread today are a few. 

You  are just ill equipped to discuss with some of the posters on here. Some are very smart and have been studying politics for a long time. I strruggle to keep up, I learn a lot here. Sit back and try no to be so defensive. I think you will learn somehting

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I have read their platform.  I read their convention manifest.

I struggle to see how this will be possible.  The reduction of corporate tax rates and the .5% get reduction left billions in holes in the Canadian governments revenue.

There was an insane amount of prosperity between mid 2009 and 2014 before the oil crash and it was just endless deficits and wasted money.

The carbon tax has done very very little to harm the average person in comparison to the raise of  corporate pricing models above inflation

I am unsure how with every major corporate sector in Canada recording record profits every single quarter how it can be more business friendly without causing more issues than it would solve.

Also having read that manifest, I have serious concerns about how the CPC under Poiliverre will unite this country when it has numerous motions and plans to prop up certain provinces then override the authority and will of others to prop them up

People need to understand that the word “corporate” doesn’t mean suncor. Suncor doesn’t care. It’s Doug’s yard service or your consulting company. 
There is very little data to support a raising in corporate taxes increases tax revenue long term. Short term it will, but then it stagnates growth. We are already at a disadvantage due to labour costs. There is very little incentive to invest in Canada right now due to regulation and political outlook. 

the only major corporations in Canada are banks (tied to housing) big energy companies that swallowed up all

the little ones, telecommuting and like lululemon lol. 

We don’t have a lot of global corporations. Only the ones that service us. 

the deficits during the Harper era were used to stimulate the economy during the finical crisis. He also had an oil crash tied to his petro dollar to deal with. I forgot that the handling of the finical crisis is ignored and Covid is excluded. 

the carbon tax drives the costs of everyone that produces anything n Canada. It’s like the mercury in tuna. 

17 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

As a moderate conservative I actually agree with most of this. The antics of the CPC is what’s holding them back. Let’s turn our head to the left as well though. There is no shortage of protest on that side of the spectrum either. Both sides have extremes and unfortunately those are the voices we hear. The vast majority of Canadians are centre leaning. Neither party represents the majority. You just have to stomach the arrogance and prioritize your needs. 

Trudeau supports left-wing protests?  Where?  Certainly not pipeline protests.  Pride shouldn't be one.  Every Child Matters shouldn't be one.  BLM is definitely a left-wing protest, but also should not have been one.

9 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's pathetic 

5 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

The cons will win.

Your literal first post here was talking about how you don't care what anyone else thinks.  You went and made some outlandish statements (worst ever!) and then you kept saying crazy shit every time you made another post.  You were never interested in backing your views or even taking us seriously, so of course we aren't going to waste much brainpower arguing with you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

The cons will win.

This I agree with.

They'll have to fight hard to lose the next election.  I've said this a number of times 

The conservative party will be voted in just to vote Trudeau out.  The same way Trudeau was voted in just to vote Harper out.

The issue with voting people in just for the sake of change is they've zero platform but anger.

I don't want another CPC version of "it's 2015" and "people kind"

I've read their platform.  Ice read their convention manifest.  There are ZERO credible plans in there that are not already happening and the ones that are feasible have far more pitfalls and drawbacks than benefits to the average person

So ya they'll win.  Most likely.  But at what cost?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Older Ukrainian-Canadians have a long, complicated history with the old Soviet Union, and it starts with the Holodomor.  Resistance against the Soviets would often result in collaboration with their Nazi rivals. The 14th Waffen SS has an equally complicated history.

I am not familiar with Yaroslav Hunka.  He was a young teenager at the time so his motivations were likely to fight the Soviets, not pro-Nazi.  As for what he and his combat unit actually did during the war...?  No easy way to answer it.  It's not a great look for Parliament, I can tell you that for free.

Good that you recognize that. No matter what someone’s political views are they deserve equal treatment 

17 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

It's pathetic 

You can have your views, even if they are twisted.. but be prepared if you share those views, people will call you out.

33 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

So this thread isn't even pro-Liberal or pro-Trudeau.  A lot of us (I assume) are from Vancouver or Lower Mainland.  We are probably NDP.  We are especially anti-Poilievre.  He was a toxic choice for party leader, unafraid to lean into extremism and an obvious charlatan.

As for carbon pricing, you're wasting your time talking to BC folk.  We have our own carbon tax in this province.  Ottawa has nothing to with us.

Canada's federal carbon pricing system has two components: a charge added to carbon-based fossil fuels like gasoline and home heating oil, and a separate system for industries, based on emissions output.

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

Wanting lower cost of living and affordable housing is twisted ?? 

Everyone in Canada wants to reduce inflation and housing costs....   All western nations are hurting from inflation and out of reach housiing costs.

Canada is no exception.   Canada is a just another country going through the same issues.   Global issues . 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

So supporting the Conservative Party is twisted lol?

Wanting lower cost of living and affordable housing is twisted ?? 

Lol

Having your position challenged and being able to state your case is essential.

Acting like a victim for being asked to support your case and then blaming everyone else while acting like a scolded child is twisted

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ludvig said:

Good that you recognize that. No matter what someone’s political views are they deserve equal treatment 

I'll say this, though.  There are more collaborator descendents living here than Holocaust descendents.  Part of that is because there were only so many Holocaust survivors... but you get my point.

I can't pass blanket judgment on Eastern Europeans who collaborated with the Nazis during WWII.  They were literally getting squeezed to death from each side.  The most likely outcome for any of us was death.  Sometimes the Nazi/Soviet regimes worked together to exterminate people, especially Poles.

If you're legitimately intrigued by this topic, take a look at Bloodlands by Timothy Snyder.  Depressing read obviously but a true eye-opener.

• ThereItIs 1