Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

199 seats would be the most ever received by any party.  You do understand we don't elect our leaders through the popular vote right?

Actually that would be the 211 that Brian Mulroney got in 1984.  He also got 50% of the vote.  That is the record.  Only 2 other times has a party got 50% or more in an election since WW2 (1949 and 1953).  Brian did it with only 282 seats possible.  We have 338 and will likely see an increase in 2025.

Edited by the destroyer of worlds
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Actually that would be the 211 that Brian Mulroney got in 1984.  He also got 50% of the vote.  That is the record.  Only 2 other times has a party got 50% or more in an election since WW2 (1949 and 1953).  Brian did it with only 282 seats possible.  We have 338 and will likely see an increase in 2025.

it is pretty much a lock that we will have 343 seats up for grabs. I have been following seat re-distribution my adult life and it is done every 10 years. This cycle is just about finished and about to be locked in as law at 343. Alberta gets three, BC one, and that is all i remember off the top of my head as I am a western based guy, hehe. i suspect the other new one is Ontario.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

the next election will feature 343 seats vice 338, making a true majority government 172 or more seats. If Peter Poutine doesn't win 172 minimum he will not lead the nation for more than a few votes, assuming he even gets the title of Prime Minister in the first place with 171 or less. 

He is pretty much guaranteed 55 seats out of the Praires. IMO his support in the Maritimes and BC are volatile at best, while currently up, that support shrinks in election cycles and rises between elections for the right wing party. Quebec still doesn't look fertile for the fourth place polling Poilievre there, and lastly that pins all his hopes of a majority on Ontario. I don't see it yet, if at all, but obviously he has strong polling numbers now. Sadly 90% support for those prairie seats waters down the rest of his Canadian support by a wide margin.

Understood. I was just wondering where the 199 seat number that Petey was referring to comes from...

• Vintage 1

speaking to how volatile BC poling is: one month ago CONS had 35% of the BC voter intentions, while LIBS had 32%. A month later cons have 44% and libs 17%. Last Sepember the NDP had 32% now 26%...

in a month it will be another new jumble of poling. Such is the way of BC politics: remember our first Premier was Amour De Cosmos. Changed his name to that after being elected and before being sworn in. hahahaha, you can't make this stuff up!

30 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

it is pretty much a lock that we will have 343 seats up for grabs. I have been following seat re-distribution my adult life and it is done every 10 years. This cycle is just about finished and about to be locked in as law at 343. Alberta gets three, BC one, and that is all i remember off the top of my head as I am a western based guy, hehe. i suspect the other new one is Ontario.

Correct.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=cir/red/allo&document=index&lang=e

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Did either of you actually bother to read it?

(i) consist of citizens selected by sortition, an impartial selection process to ensure the assembly’s independence and non-partisanship,

(ii) reflect the diversity of the Canadian population, including a representation and meaningful participation of age groups, genders, ethnicities, languages, socioeconomic backgrounds, and geographic regions including from First Nations, Inuit and Metis peoples,

The party's official position may be pro-proportional (which I agree is shit), but this motion was not that.

That's not the point. The ndp put forward something that they knew was doa.

Now if jag called Justin and said let's revive ranked ballot then we'd be getting somewhere.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

That's not the point. The ndp put forward something that they knew was doa.

Now if jag called Justin and said let's revive ranked ballot then we'd be getting somewhere.

I agree.  If it was NDP and Libs that said, "Hey, lets do a thing", then I think the thing will get looked into as opposed to being rejected on arrival.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So by the end of April, the 7 month period expires from the date of proclamation, and any election fought after April would be with the new seats, if parliament is collapsed earlier than the end of April, it would be using the old seats...that explains Jagmeet Singh's ultimatum to the liberals demanding movement by end march. if he intends to go to an election over the pharmacare issue (which we all knew was 8 years away two years ago(with terms being renegotiated with BIG PHARMA tending to be about six years away still) then I guess he wants to fight that election using the existing ridings rather than the new ones.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

So by the end of April, the 7 month period expires from the date of proclamation, and any election fought after April would be with the new seats, if parliament is collapsed earlier than the end of April, it would be using the old seats...that explains Jagmeet Singh's ultimatum to the liberals demanding movement by end march. if he intends to go to an election over the pharmacare issue (which we all knew was 8 years away two years ago(with terms being renegotiated with BIG PHARMA tending to be about six years away still) then I guess he wants to fight that election using the existing ridings rather than the new ones.

Yeah, I don't like this at all.  Between this and the rhetoric against Israel, they're driving my vote to the Libs.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, I don't like this at all.  Between this and the rhetoric against Israel, they're driving my vote to the Libs.

I'd hope that people who are in close ridings wouldn't spilt the vote and get a con elected. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I'd hope that people who are in close ridings wouldn't spilt the vote and get a con elected. 

I'm in one of the safest NDP ridings in the country.  That's definitely a valid concern and is exactly why I want ranked ballot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm in one of the safest NDP ridings in the country.  That's definitely a valid concern and is exactly why I want ranked ballot.

the only time I voted NDP federally was to ensure that we kept a Harper croney from winning. It worked, and so I was happy. Anything to diminish that clown was fine by me. 

• Cheers 1

I am highly considering voting NDP next election in the Cowichan Valley. I know the Liberals have never polled well here, but it is my first election since the early 90's where I can vote here in my 'childhood' riding. last time out the NDP got 43% here, Cons 22%, Greens 15% and Libs 13%. I would rather re-elect Allistair MacGregor ((who is the new Chair of the NDP Canadian Caucus by the way) locally than split votes off to the Liberal candidate and 'help' a con split up the middle to eek one out. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am highly considering voting NDP next election in the Cowichan Valley. I know the Liberals have never polled well here, but it is my first election since the early 90's where I can vote here in my 'childhood' riding. last time out the NDP got 43% here, Cons 22%, Greens 15% and Libs 13%. I would rather re-elect Allistair MacGregor ((who is the new Chair of the NDP Canadian Caucus by the way) locally than split votes off to the Liberal candidate and 'help' a con split up the middle to eek one out. 

Whatever keeps PP from a majority.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Whatever keeps PP from a majority.

It is a tough decision for sure, haha. I am normally very active in the trenches in my ridings. Helped flip the eastern Townships of Ontario Liberal from CON in the run up to Trudeau becoming PM, CONS had held it since adscam i think it was called back in the Cretien days.  Moved my party's needle to 2nd place in my last riding from 4th, but the Candidate I most appreciate there now is my buddy the Mayor of Sooke. She is awesome and decided not to run as a Liberal but as an NDP candidate there next time out, replacing Randall Garrison who is retiring. This would be the first time in over 15 years I don't vote Liberal federally: and I would only swap to help keep the status quo here. Would be kind of nice to not work my butt off for one election cycle as well. haha.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

It is a tough decision for sure, haha. I am normally very active in the trenches in my ridings. Helped flip the eastern Townships of Ontario Liberal from CON in the run up to Trudeau becoming PM, CONS had held it since adscam i think it was called back in the Cretien days.  Moved my party's needle to 2nd place in my last riding from 4th, but the Candidate I most appreciate there now is my buddy the Mayor of Sooke. She is awesome and decided not to run as a Liberal but as an NDP candidate there next time out, replacing Randall Garrison who is retiring. This would be the first time in over 15 years I don't vote Liberal federally: and I would only swap to help keep the status quo here. Would be kind of nice to not work my butt off for one election cycle as well. haha.

It's tough, we want the best people but also want "our party" in power too 😁

I just think Poilievre is such a vacant little creep. 

Here's an example of the no-win situation the Trudeau government is in. According to the author, the Canadian dream is dead and it's the fault of JT and the Pandemic restrictions.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/other/robertson-what-happened-to-the-canadian-dream/ar-BB1i3vrd?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=795191d3d4584275a6efe228efe0f230&ei=85

Now, in their twilight years, as they navigate long-term care, they find themselves abandoned within a deteriorating health-care system, a direct consequence of the Liberal government’s policies that have underfunded essential services. The Trudeau government has left my parents and their fellow seniors behind.

This neglect is not unique to my parents’ generation. During the pandemic, small business owners like me faced the devastating consequences of government-imposed lockdowns. Though restrictions have been lifted, the impact of those measures lingers, a testament to this government’s failure to support small businesses.

Those of us still striving to keep our businesses afloat are further burdened by the indifference of the Trudeau Liberals, who seem disconnected from our struggles and hostile towards the SME community.

I will say that I supported (and still do) government support of small businesses and individuals who were affected by the Covid restrictions. This author appears to be making the case that they didn't go far enough....

Yet, OTOH, we constantly hear complaints about "printing money" and the national debt....

A clear case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, IMO....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

My childhood riding also.  I remember meeting Tommy Douglas in 1968.  I was 10 and I walked up to him and said I wanted to shake his hand.  He was more than nice to 10 year old me.  From that day forward I have been a political junkie.