Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I can't help but notice that the people complaining about taxes are a lot of the same people bitching about the government not doing enough to help people buy houses, or find affordable rentals....

A bunch of problems for you guys to fix, but don't even think about asking taxpayers to pay for it....:classic_rolleyes:

We get taxed out the ass and nothing has gotten better, it continues to get worse.  

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Charlebois predicts the tax will increase the price of a single beer by one cent, while the finance ministry told Global News in a statement that the amount would be three-quarters of a cent. Charlebois said that the price increase would be visible immediately after the tax is scheduled to be implemented on April 1.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9576344/canada-alcohol-tax-increase-explainer/

Tell me you didn't read the article without telling me

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And yes this is EXACTLY what happens when someone is being "cancelled". The person being cancelled is still allow to speak but gets shit on because of what was said or done.

So it's basically "cancel culture" if someone you like gets "cancelled" but not "cancel culture" if someone you hate gets "cancelled". That's basically what's happening. Just a bunch of hypocrisy to blame either the left or the right when really both sides are doing it.

Nooo, cancelled is not being allowed to speak at all, or something being taken away permanently.  Getting shit on is just getting shit on.  

Just now, Wiggums said:

Nooo, cancelled is not being allowed to speak at all, or something being taken away permanently.  Getting shit on is just getting shit on.  

And what about the brewery Trudeau went to where sales are get taken away, perhaps permanently?

Absolutely this was cancelled culture. How does it feel to be a part of it?

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

We get taxed out the ass and nothing has gotten better, it continues to get worse.  

Tell me you didn't read the article without telling me

Tell me you missed the point. The federal part is miniscule. Provinces are responsible for the vast majority of how booze tax is implemented.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And what about the brewery Trudeau went to where sales are get taken away, perhaps permanently?

Is somebody shutting down the brewery?  Is somebody not letting Trudeau speak at any more breweries? 

You really don't understand the concept of "being cancelled"?

Just now, Wiggums said:

Is somebody shutting down the brewery?  Is somebody not letting Trudeau speak at any more breweries? 

Of course you'd defend a bunch of online thugs.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wiggums said:

Not even defending them.  Just pointing out what cancel culture refers to and this ain't it 

Oh, I didn't realize that you get to decide that. 

So it's just really shitty behavior by Poilievre supporters then? 

Just now, Wiggums said:

It's likely that some venues will see this and might avoid having Trudeau at their venue in order to prevent a downturn in sales. Some businesses are volatile after all and could have to shut down from such an event.

Don't assume. The questions you're asking and expecting the answer to be a "no" could actually have the answer of "yes".

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Anyone who doesn’t want to go to the brewery because they hosted Trudeau is certainly free to feel that way, that’s just being selective about where you spend your money.  It becomes cancel culture when they post fake/bad reviews, make harassing & threatening phone calls, swatting, etc.

There’s a restaurant in Hope that made a show of refusing to close during Covid that I would never enter on principle and wouldn’t shed a tear if they went out of business but I wouldn’t campaign to have them cancelled. People are free to vote with their wallets though.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

You've been whining about the same things in these threads for a decade 😆

Another insult/attack from the 60+ year old though.  Very mature of you, sir 

Have you learned nothing from your last bout of ageism?  Very mature of you sir.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

You've been whining about the same things in these threads for a decade 😆

Another insult/attack from the 60+ year old though.  Very mature of you, sir 

Ah yes, the old "I know you are, but what am I?" rebuttal....

....gotta love the classics....:classic_rolleyes:

BTW: It's 2 decades, as of July....

21 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That would be lovely. That would mean we went a whole day without some posting something that was racist, sexist, or ageist.

Agreed.  I'll add this goes both ways; generalizing entire generations sucks, but calling a poster out based on age absolutely crosses that line.  Imagine if "60+ year old" was replaced with "black person".  Both age and race are protected under the Charter.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  I'll add this goes both ways; generalizing entire generations sucks, but calling a poster out based on age absolutely crosses that line.  Imagine if "60+ year old" was replaced with "black person".  Both age and race are protected under the Charter.

Hahaha my god.  You don't actually live your life like this, do you?  

Lighten up a bit.  

Edited by Wiggums

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Good thing you came along Wiggums. A lot of these guys were nodding off. Good to go for a few more pages.

Nap time?

If I disliked a hockey player and said they don't belong in a man's league,  would that be considered sexism? 

Edited by Wiggums