Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The comments on emotional/fact tendencies had me 🤔😂

If I had to pick which side made emotional, ideological, non fact based governing/policy decisions.... It's not remotely close, and it's definitely not the left.

I'm assuming the writer is referring to the old "bleeding heart Liberals" trope. Having empathy and policy to support the masses, the poor etc is actually sounds fiscal management. Countries who support their people with quality health care, education infrastructure/transit etc have better and more robust economies, happier, healthier people etc, etc.

Anyone still arguing the value of social programs isn't arguing from facts.

Of course you have to manage them properly, but that's a different discussion.

• Cheers 1

IDK where else to put this...but the nerve of grocery stores to put in self serve kiosks and STILL ask people to donate money for THEIR tax deduction has resulted in me not paying for bacon for over a year now....I feel no shame. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

IDK where else to put this...but the nerve of grocery stores to put in self serve kiosks and STILL ask people to donate money for THEIR tax deduction has resulted in me not paying for bacon for over a year now....I feel no shame. 

Every once in a while where we shop there isn't a person watching the self checkout, and I always wonder how much stuff isn't being checked.

That protest bacon must taste that little bit better.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Every once in a while where we shop there isn't a person watching the self checkout, and I always wonder how much stuff isn't being checked.

That protest bacon must taste that little bit better.

Dude so much stuff must be just slipped through. I know a few people who put something big on the bottom of the cart and say they'll just pretend they forgot it was there.  I can only imagine with the gouging on groceries it is getting worse. 

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Dude so much stuff must be just slipped through. I know a few people who put something big on the bottom of the cart and say they'll just pretend they forgot it was there.  I can only imagine with the gouging on groceries it is getting worse. 

When they charge 1.50 for an apple, yea people are going to have light fingers.

But Skippy will change that, right? I'm sure his grocery chain buddy has that price slashing plan ready to go.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

@Elias Pettersson I am seriously, seriously calling into question the significant bias you have in your collection of X accounts.  Alberta Prosperity Project?  Two conservative MPs, one of them being Pierre Poilievre?  These are your sources that you're working with...?

What are you talking about....:classic_huh:

Petey is a "Centrist"....:classic_rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

When they charge 1.50 for an apple, yea people are going to have light fingers.

But Skippy will change that, right? I'm sure his grocery chain buddy has that price slashing plan ready to go.

As will Kevin Falcon and his $100 bag of groceries, in his $3000 per month rental condo. Hard to take those two clowns serious.

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

As will Kevin Falcon and his $100 bag of groceries, in his $3000 per month rental condo. Hard to take those two clowns serious.

Yep. As soon as the libs picked him I knew we could pencil in the NDP for 12 years, many with no meaningful opposition whatsoever.

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Anyone still arguing the value of social programs isn't arguing from facts.

Of course you have to manage them properly, but that's a different discussion.

The funny thing is - those who argue against funding social programs (because "stop taxing muh munniez, yo") are also the first to scream bloody murder about why "duh gubbermint" isn't bailing them out when they hit a rough patch. :classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The funny thing is - those who argue against funding social programs (because "stop taxing muh munniez, yo") are also the first to scream bloody murder about why "duh gubbermint" isn't bailing them out when they hit a rough patch. :classic_rolleyes:

Keep rural America poor again.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Which 'sources' would be acceptable for lefty sensibilities..?

7 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

He's supposed to verify a video of the auditor general? So like, a blood sample or something..?

This goes back to a discussion he and I had some time ago.  I previously doubted the objectivity of some of his news sources (since he avoids using bigger news sites like CBC), or at the very least, the political alignment of his more opinionated sources.  He talked about consulting thousands of different Twitter accounts.  But now, in just three posts, he's referenced a prominent Conservative MP, the Conservative leader, an Alberta separatist organization, and some wacko who peddles anti-vax and anti-climate conspiracy theories.

If I want lefty sensibilities I'll just read Tyee.  If I want more investigative journalism I can try TVO or Canadaland.  If I want a really different perspective I occasionally look at the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network.  All of them have their biases - all of them.  But that's not what I'm talking about here.  They have far better credentials for journalism and factual accuracy than people from a conspiracy podcast, a separatist group, and the CPC leader.  But if you're getting your news from Pierre Poilievre, what are we doing here?  

You want a good, trustworthy journalist that isn't a party hack?  Try Steve Paikin.  He's not a household figure outside of Ontario.  Nobody has a perfect reputation and he's got his warts but his journalism is top-notch.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

This goes back to a discussion he and I had some time ago.  I previously doubted the objectivity of some of his news sources (since he avoids using bigger news sites like CBC), or at the very least, the political alignment of his more opinionated sources.  He talked about consulting thousands of different Twitter accounts.  But now, in just three posts, he's referenced a prominent Conservative MP, the Conservative leader, an Alberta separatist organization, and some wacko who peddles anti-vax and anti-climate conspiracy theories.

If I want lefty sensibilities I'll just read Tyee.  If I want more investigative journalism I can try TVO or Canadaland.  If I want a really different perspective I occasionally look at the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network.  All of them have their biases - all of them.  But that's not what I'm talking about here.  They have far better credentials for journalism and factual accuracy than people from a conspiracy podcast, a separatist group, and the CPC leader.  But if you're getting your news from Pierre Poilievre, what are we doing here?  

You want a good, trustworthy journalist that isn't a party hack?  Try Steve Paikin.  He's not a household figure outside of Ontario.  Nobody has a perfect reputation and he's got his warts but his journalism is top-notch.

The "source" doesn't really matter, it's whether or not the statement is verified.

43 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

He's supposed to verify a video of the auditor general? So like, a blood sample or something..?

Neocons don't bleed.....if you puncture them, sweet Alberta crude comes out....

...It's true....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, the sentiment I mentioned isn't just limited to America.  Especially since I posted it in the Canadian Politics thread. 

the difference is Albertans whine the most, but also make the most money. In the US, there's millions that seem to like to get less than nothing from government. 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Another day, another scandal...

Even Trudeau's BFF Jagmeet is getting into the act.  I see a 2024 election coming...

The Auditor General, in her own words...

The Auditor General did not mince words in her report on #ArriveCAN. On top of the fact that this app which should have only costed $80K ended up costing taxpayers at least $60M, here's what else she found: "Glaring disregard for basic management and contracting practices"; "Disappointing failures and omissions everywhere we looked"; "Accountability void"; and "Conflict of interest/bias around procurement decisions." 

This is stupid.  Nobody accepts or justifies this wastage so just don't.

I didn't back then I won't now.

Or did you forget gazebo gate?  You know, the $50 million + spent on gazebos during the multi billion g8/g20 summit where hundreds of millions were unaccounted for but that Pierre defended?  How did they defend that again?  Oh yes, they blamed the Libs for it by brnging up the sponsorship scandal.

Son, the sooner you stop pretending these two parties are somehow different or that you are somehow actually a middle of the road player; the better your life will be.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/when-building-gazebos-violates-the-public-trust/article582792/

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/rules-were-broken-over-g8g20-summit-spending-auditor-general

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

35 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Imagine posting this after finding out Trudeau wasted 60+ mil of taxpayers money on an App that didn't even work properly

40 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The "source" doesn't really matter, it's whether or not the statement is verified.

That’s my take on it as well. I want to know the who/what/when of the story minus the political spin. Certain employees and contractors of and for CBSA have had their cases referred to the RCMP so let’s see where the money trail leads. I support the Auditor General and her findings as does the government. I’m not interested in the PP or Rebel News slant that has attacked Covid mandates, including Arrivecan, at every step along the way and then aligned themselves with the occupiers in Ottawa. 

Among Hogan’s recommendations in her report are greater oversight for third-party contracts and improving transparency in communications between governments and vendors. Current Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government will be implementing all of   Hogan’s recommendations. “We absolutely share her view …that this content contracting practice was unacceptable,” he said. “Under no circumstance would we pretend that because the whole world was facing this global pandemic, that the contracting rules that need to be robust to handle taxpayers money can somehow be disregarded.”

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1