Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

58 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Imagine posting this after finding out Trudeau wasted 60+ mil of taxpayers money on an App that didn't even work properly

Probably feels a lot like Harper's Pheonix pay system, but less painful for peoples lives.

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s my take on it as well. I want to know the who/what/when of the story minus the political spin. Certain employees and contractors of and for CBSA have had their cases referred to the RCMP so let’s see where the money trail leads. I support the Auditor General and her findings as does the government. I’m not interested in the PP or Rebel News slant that has attacked Covid mandates, including Arrivecan, at every step along the way and then aligned themselves with the occupiers in Ottawa. 

Among Hogan’s recommendations in her report are greater oversight for third-party contracts and improving transparency in communications between governments and vendors. Current Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government will be implementing all of   Hogan’s recommendations. “We absolutely share her view …that this content contracting practice was unacceptable,” he said. “Under no circumstance would we pretend that because the whole world was facing this global pandemic, that the contracting rules that need to be robust to handle taxpayers money can somehow be disregarded.”

Yea I couldn't care less about "source" - back it up or stfu imo.

ArriveScan app is clearly not up to snuff, or was not up to snuff.

However it is as corrupt as the rollout of the Phoenix Pay system. 

That is to say: not corrupt at all, just really bad in the way it has been rolled out. 8 years ago this February 28th the Phoenix Pay System was rolled out for government employees and has still been a massive boondoggle: more than 1 in 3 public servants has not been paid correctly or at all or too much and two years ago 60% of those were still waiting for the errors to be corrected. 

2.2 billion boondoggle in Phoenix Pay system

60 million boondoggle in ArriveScan App.

Not excusing either one, but neither one was 'corrupt' they were both just incompetent in the way they were rolled out. I wonder if the same company had a hand in building both?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Nobody here is a fan of Justin Trudeau. I haven't seen a single poster laud him for his accomplishments

I don't mind him. 

He steered the government into giving a damn and doing something about Drinking Water on First Nations lands. 

There is ONE boil water advisory that has not been addressed remaining out of roughly 154 that existed with nothing being done about them when Trudeau took over as PM. 
17 resolved in 2016, 19 resolved in 2017, 38 resolved in 2018, 9 resolved in 2019, 11 resolved in 2020, 28 more resolved in 2021, 11 resolved in 2022, 6 resolved in 2023 and already 1 resolved in 2024. There remain 26 affected communities and 25 of them have a solution being implemented as I type this, the one outstanding issue is at the design and planning stage, the first step of a real physical fix. 

Anywho, just wanted to LAUD our Prime Minister for his commitment to Truth and Reconciliation, and his commitment to ensuring Canada provides safe and secure drinking water to First Nations. ((OH but he took that vacation that one time on the holiday: the SCANDAL of it, taking a vacation on a holiday weekend..<sarcasm for those who can't detect it>.))

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't mind him. 

He steered the government into giving a damn and doing something about Drinking Water on First Nations lands. 

There is ONE boil water advisory that has not been addressed remaining out of roughly 154 that existed with nothing being done about them when Trudeau took over as PM. 
17 resolved in 2016, 19 resolved in 2017, 38 resolved in 2018, 9 resolved in 2019, 11 resolved in 2020, 28 more resolved in 2021, 11 resolved in 2022, 6 resolved in 2023 and already 1 resolved in 2024. There remain 26 affected communities and 25 of them have a solution being implemented as I type this, the one outstanding issue is at the design and planning stage, the first step of a real physical fix. 

Anywho, just wanted to LAUD our Prime Minister for his commitment to Truth and Reconciliation, and his commitment to ensuring Canada provides safe and secure drinking water to First Nations. ((OH but he took that vacation that one time on the holiday: the SCANDAL of it, taking a vacation on a holiday weekend..<sarcasm for those who can't detect it>.))

Me either. I consider him a decent PM, but likely would not have garnered the Liberal leadership, if not for his last name. (I was pulling for Marc Garneau, when JT was chosen by the Libs)

One thing he is, IMHO, is a better choice than Pierre Pollievre.

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Me either. I consider him a decent PM, but likely would not have garnered the Liberal leadership, if not for his last name. (I was pulling for Marc Garneau, when JT was chosen by the Libs)

One thing he is, IMHO, is a better choice than Pierre Pollievre.

My favourite Liberal Leader after Cretien so far was Stephane Dion, but again, I like Justin Trudeau and will vote aiming to keep him as PM. 

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

@Elias Pettersson I am seriously, seriously calling into question the significant bias you have in your collection of X accounts.  Alberta Prosperity Project?  Two conservative MPs, one of them being Pierre Poilievre?  These are your sources that you're working with...?

The source is the video attached to the X account. Also, rather than worry about who is posting what on X you should be more worried about another scandal attached to your boy Trudeau who is taking the Liberal party down with the ship. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

He's supposed to verify a video of the auditor general? So like, a blood sample or something..?

Imagine posting a video of the Auditor General ripping into the Liberal government and the only comeback the Trudeau supporters have is that the video was posted by a right wing account so it must be fake.  🤣

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's the thing that people like you and Petey can't seem to understand.....

Nobody here is a fan of Justin Trudeau. I haven't seen a single poster laud him for his accomplishments, or talk glowingly about his image as a Statesman. But...it isn't enough to convince us to vote for the guy who supported the Ottawa protesters and isn't committed to fighting Climate Change. (to name just a couple of Pierre's shortcomings)

JT's detractors continually post his "scandals". (even if they refer to something that was implemented almost 4 years ago)....We get it. You think Trudeau is the worst PM in history.

We don't......So stop telling us how bad JT is and tell us what makes Pierre Pollievre a better choice. So far, I haven't seen a single example, other than "he's not Justin Trudeau"....

That's nice of you to speak for everyone

People are allowed to protest and Pierre supports that.  Just because you don't agree with why people are protesting doesn't mean it's wrong that Pierre supported it.  It's worse to support something rather than go against our charter of rights and freedoms in your eyes?  You do you I guess 

Trudeau isn't and hasn't done shit for climate change other than make buckets of money off a tax he has fooled people into thinking will make a difference 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

This is stupid.  Nobody accepts or justifies this wastage so just don't.

I didn't back then I won't now.

Or did you forget gazebo gate?  You know, the $50 million + spent on gazebos during the multi billion g8/g20 summit where hundreds of millions were unaccounted for but that Pierre defended?  How did they defend that again?  Oh yes, they blamed the Libs for it by brnging up the sponsorship scandal.

Son, the sooner you stop pretending these two parties are somehow different or that you are somehow actually a middle of the road player; the better your life will be.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/when-building-gazebos-violates-the-public-trust/article582792/

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/rules-were-broken-over-g8g20-summit-spending-auditor-general

Your whataboutism is a nice deflection, but at least  you acknowledge the Liberal party for who they are. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/minister-was-warned-lifting-international-student-work-limit-could-undermine-program-1.6766641?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

OTTAWA - 

Allowing international students to work more than 20 hours a week could distract from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs, public servants warned the federal government in 2022.

The caution came in documents prepared for former immigration minister Sean Fraser as Ottawa looked at waiving the restriction on the number of hours international students could work off-campus — a policy the Liberals eventually implemented.

The Canadian Press obtained the internal documents with an access-to-information request.Waiving the cap could help alleviate labour shortages, a memorandum for the minister conceded, but it could also have other unintended consequences.

"While a temporary increase in the number of hours international students can work off-campus could help address these shortages, this could detract from the primary study goal of international students to a greater emphasis on work, circumvent the temporary foreign worker programs and give rise to further program integrity concerns with the international student program," the memo said.

Canada's bloated international student program has been heavily scrutinized in recent months as part of a larger critique of Liberal immigration policies that have fuelled rapid population growth and contributed to the country's housing crunch.

That scrutiny led the federal government to introduce a cap on study permits over the next two years, as it tries to get a handle on the program.

More than 900,000 foreign students had visas to study in Canada last year, which is more than three times the number 10 years ago.

Critics have questioned the dramatic spike in international student enrolments at shady post-secondary institutions and have flagged concerns about the program being a backdoor to permanent residency.

The memo said removing the limit for off-campus work would be in "stark contrast" to the temporary foreign worker programs, which requires employers to prove that they need a migrant worker and that no Canadian or permanent resident is available to do the job.

Fraser ultimately announced in October 2022 that the federal government would waive the restriction until the end of 2023 to ease labour shortages across the country.

The waiver only applied to students currently in the country or those who had already applied, in order to not incentivize foreign nationals to obtain a study permit only to work in Canada.

In December, Immigration Minister Marc Miller extended the policy until April 30, 2024 and floated the idea of setting the cap at 30 hours a week thereafter.

In an interview with The Canadian Press on Monday, Miller said he extended the waiver because he didn't want to interfere with students' work arrangements in the middle of an academic year.

"What I really didn't want to do is impact students in a current year that have made their financial calculations about how they will sustain themselves and how they will be able to pay for the tuition and rent and food," Miller said.

Miller said internal work by the department shows more than 80 per cent of international students are currently working more than 20 hours a week.

Waiving the number of hours international students could work was the right call given the labour shortages Canada was facing, but the policy was never meant to be permanent, he said.

Job vacancies soared to more than a million in the second quarter of 2022, but have steadily decreased since then as the economy slows.

Miller said he's now considering making a permanent change to the cap that would set it somewhere between 20 and 40 hours a week.

"It's not credible that someone can work 40 hours and do a proper program," Miller said.

He said the goal is to come up with a cap that gives students the ability to get good work experience and help them pay the bills, all while not undermining their studies.

"So what does a reasonable number of hours look like for someone here studying, knowing that they are paying three to four times, sometimes five times the price of a domestic student?" Miller said.

"I think that's above 20 hours."

You don't say? 🤔

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

20 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

People are allowed to protest and Pierre supports that.  Just because you don't agree with why people are protesting doesn't mean it's wrong that Pierre supported it.  It's worse to support something rather than go against our charter of rights and freedoms in your eyes?  You do you I guess 

Trudeau isn't and hasn't done shit for climate change other than make buckets of money off a tax he has fooled people into thinking will make a difference 

How is Rup saying this: "I haven't seen a single poster laud him for his accomplishments, or talk glowingly about his image as a Statesman." speaking for everyone?  I think he was just calling it like he saw it.  I have seen it the same way.  

Yes, people are allowed to protest.  There are also, understandably, rules as to how and where it should be done.

I won't respond to your carbon tax comment apart from once again asking you to do some research on the subject.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

People aren't allowed to shut the economy down for three weeks either, which is what that mob in Ottawa, Coutts Alberta, and the Windsor Bridge were doing. You might want to check out Harpers spending history as well.

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your whataboutism is a nice deflection, but at least  you acknowledge the Liberal party for who they are. 

Do you acknowledge what the conservative party is becoming? I'm very uncomfortable with how they're taking playbook tactics from the MAGAs south of the border.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

How is Rup saying this: "I haven't seen a single poster laud him for his accomplishments, or talk glowingly about his image as a Statesman." speaking for everyone?  I think he was just calling it like he saw it.  I have seen it the same way.  

Yes, people are allowed to protest.  There are also, understandably, rules as to how and where it should be done.

I won't respond to your carbon tax comment apart from once again asking you to do some research on the subject.

1.  He says "nobody here likes Trudeau"(speaking for everyone) then 5 minutes later someone even commented saying, and I'm paraphrasing.... "actually, I do"

2. Rules?  The only ones who broke any major rules was Trudeau.  Anytime thousands of people gather yes there's gonna be some idiots who do stupid things but for the most part it was a peaceful protest, especially considering it was all Nazis and Maga enthusiasts..

3. I know that I'm getting ass rammed every time I go to the gas station and our emissions are rising. The carbon tax is a scam that keeps the environmentalists happy 

9 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

1.  He says "nobody here likes Trudeau"(speaking for everyone) then 5 minutes later someone even commented saying, and I'm paraphrasing.... "actually, I do"

2. Rules?  The only ones who broke any major rules was Trudeau.  Anytime thousands of people gather yes there's gonna be some idiots who do stupid things but for the most part it was a peaceful protest, especially considering it was all Nazis and Maga enthusiasts..

3. I know that I'm getting ass rammed every time I go to the gas station and our emissions are rising. The carbon tax is a scam that keeps the environmentalists happy 

1) Yes. he said that, and then explained it was based on what he had seen.  Then, to my surprise, a couple people disagreed.  They had not really voiced that opinion before.

2) Yes, there are rules.   We will see if the court decides JT broke any.

3) Yes, things are expensive.  Yes, emissions are rising.  Both are complex issues.   Many complain about them yet offer no solutions.  I'm an environmentalist I suppose but have not been made happy yet. 

Edited by Satchmo

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The source is the video attached to the X account. Also, rather than worry about who is posting what on X you should be more worried about another scandal attached to your boy Trudeau who is taking the Liberal party down with the ship. 

He ain't my boy I've never voted Liberal in my life.  Very few posters here are Liberal supporters.  We just fucking hate Pierre Poilievre.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

...and this is exactly my point.

I asked you for examples of why we should vote for PP, other than because he isn't Trudeau and you couldn't deliver....

• Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

He ain't my boy I've never voted Liberal in my life.  Very few posters here are Liberal supporters.  We just fucking hate Pierre Poilievre.

Even when I voted for Trudeau over Harper it was more that I thought Harper was a scumbag (for profit prisons being a major issue to me) and didn't 'like' Trudeau. The Cons keep making comments about his work history while nominating career politicians with no real work experience for leadership. It is pretty funny to watch it fail over and over. I think it works out to a minority govt this time. 

Bring back Progressive Conservative and ditch the Bible thumpin social cons and I'll get back on board. Until then I will not vote for a party with people who think the world is 5000 years old...

• Cheers 3

I'll vote Liberal every day and on Sunday as long as PP is in power and people like Leslyn Lewis have a prominent positions in the CONs.  Notice how I didn't say HIS name as the Libs definitely could do better.  

Sadly, it won't really matter in PG as the CONs have a decades long strangle hold on our Federal seats.  There was that one time decades ago that we had an NDP MLA, but not much since.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

1) Yes. he said that, and then explained it was based on what he had seen.  Then, to my surprise, a couple people disagreed.  They had not really voiced that opinion before.

2) Yes, there are rules.   We will see if the court decides JT broke any.

3) Yes, things are expensive.  Yes, emissions are rising.  Both are complex issues.   Many complain about them yet offer no solutions.  I'm an environmentalist I suppose but have not been made happy yet. 

A court of law has already determined that Trudeau broke the rules and that Trudeau violated people's constitutional rights...

Ottawa's use of Emergencies Act against convoy protests was unreasonable, violated Charter, court rules | CBC News

A federal judge says the Liberal government's use of the Emergencies Act in early 2022 to clear convoy protesters was unreasonable and infringed on protesters' Charter rights.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A court of law has already determined that Trudeau broke the rules and that Trudeau violated people's constitutional rights...

Ottawa's use of Emergencies Act against convoy protests was unreasonable, violated Charter, court rules | CBC News

A federal judge says the Liberal government's use of the Emergencies Act in early 2022 to clear convoy protesters was unreasonable and infringed on protesters' Charter rights.

I am aware of the case and what the judge found.  The ruling will be appealed to a higher court and we will see what they decide.