Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

37 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I haven't heard about this....If Trudeau did something like this, then he should be charged criminally.

Can you provide some details? I did a quick search but I couldn't find any reference to bags of money being passed under cafe tables....

Not Trudeau. The Chreitien era I believe. 

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes, and that's all fine and good, but why can't we do both?

Why do we need to keep investing in new major roads right now? People need better public transportation more. It's the best way to lessen congestion.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/electric-vehicles-not-a-panacea-for-climate-change-steven-guilbeault

With an ever expanding population im sure everything will be just fine....

Nvm the 'environmental impact' of inefficent roadways leading people to sit in bumper to bumper traffic daily, exc.

This isn't what was said at all in its entirety.  Doesn't even mention how "green Jesus" says electric cars aren't the end all be all.

The statement is that the government has decided to stop spending federal money to expand existing infrastructure.  That adding more lanes makes no sense but that they will fund the maintenance of roads as they exist.  Further on in a different article that expands the statement, the national highway network is not part of this suggestion ad highway 1 and inter provincial roads are essential and will be maintaned and expanded as needed

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can we say "playing"...? 😏

In this particular case, yes. Petey knew exactly what Satchmo meant, but decided to post a pedantic "gotcha" anyway....

Then when I called him on it, he pretended not to understand either of our points. I disengaged at that point because frankly, it irritates me when someone gaslights me like that.

• chaos 2

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not Trudeau. The Chreitien era I believe. 

yeah I think he is referencing Cretiens efforts to keep Quebec in Canada. I am not going to rehash them all here, but some of the tactics were on the shady side. Adscam wasn't it? I know it took us a decade in Ontarios Eastern Townships to retake the riding. I put a lot of sweat into that riding with a lady who was a great candidate, but she never actually beat one of Harper's lackies, but consistently moved the needle progressively up. The Liberal Candidate after her managed a win. Don Boudria was the last of about 44 years of Liberal MP's there, then Pierre Lemieux for the Harper decade and now Francis Drouin the successful Liberal MP. Co-incidentally, my candidate that worked very hard for most of the CONs holding of the riding is now a judge who heard the original case against the Cowboy Convoy Princess. Forget her name but she is semi-famous i guess. (hehe see what i did there? Semi? hahahaha...sorry HONK HOOOOONK.

• chaos 1

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

In this particular case, yes. Petey knew exactly what Satchmo meant, but decided to post a pedantic "gotcha" anyway....

Then when I called him on it, he pretended not to understand either of our points. I disengaged at that point because frankly, it irritates me when someone gaslights me like that.

Awww Rupert, nothing tingles my heart more than logging in to CFF in the morning and reading one of your warm and fuzzy posts.  🥹

When Pierre Poilievre tells you who he is, an authoritarian autocrat, you best believe him!

OTTAWA — The federal Conservative party’s nomination of Karen Stintz in the Toronto riding of Eglinton-Lawrence has triggered an uproar among local Conservatives, prompted the executive to protest in writing to leader Pierre Poilievre, and led one board member who was shut out of the race to quit.

Lawyer Michelle Simard resigned late Monday night over what she said is an “undemocratic” move by party operatives to bypass a fair contest that should have been overseen by the riding association, not central party officials.

Eglinton-Lawrence is the second Ontario riding association executive to express grassroots party concerns and file a written objection to federal Conservative party brass over a hand-picked candidate.

The riding executive is in turmoil as the small group running the power of the Federal CONS has cut the nomination portal in the riding after only 24 hours and their preferred Candidate applied, leaving many other would be candidates to run for the CONS in the riding perplexed. One potential nomination candidate quite the board in protest after she couldn't apply only two days after the nomination portal was opened. Peter Poutine got the guy he wants to be the only candidate for nomination there. Others were strong armed into quitting the race before it started. This is who P.P. really is. Loud, angry, and authoritarian. Get ready Canada, we are about to elect the Wolf as head Shepard. 

“Taking away the constitutional and democratic rights” of the riding association or its members “is neither democratic nor grassroots,” the letter said.

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This isn't what was said at all in its entirety.  Doesn't even mention how "green Jesus" says electric cars aren't the end all be all.

The statement is that the government has decided to stop spending federal money to expand existing infrastructure.  That adding more lanes makes no sense but that they will fund the maintenance of roads as they exist.  Further on in a different article that expands the statement, the national highway network is not part of this suggestion ad highway 1 and inter provincial roads are essential and will be maintaned and expanded as needed

I think that when a twit (isn't that how one refers to a tweeter?) refers to it's subject as "Green Jesus", we can be reasonably sure they've got an agenda and will twist the narrative to promote it....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

When Pierre Poilievre tells you who he is, an authoritarian autocrat, you best believe him!

The riding executive is in turmoil as the small group running the power of the Federal CONS has cut the nomination portal in the riding after only 24 hours and their preferred Candidate applied, leaving many other would be candidates to run for the CONS in the riding perplexed. One potential nomination candidate quite the board in protest after she couldn't apply only two days after the nomination portal was opened. Peter Poutine got the guy he wants to be the only candidate for nomination there. Others were strong armed into quitting the race before it started. This is who P.P. really is. Loud, angry, and authoritarian. Get ready Canada, we are about to elect the Wolf as head Shepard. 

But but grassroots.

• chaos 2

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think that when a twit (isn't that how one refers to a tweeter?) refers to it's subject as "Green Jesus", we can be reasonably sure they've got an agenda and will twist the narrative to promote it....

The issue is.  They're screaming about "rural roads" in Alberta and Ontario, but what they're not telling people is that roads of that nature are entirely provincial mandates not federal.

Evolving ‘Freedom’ movement fighting perceptions of ‘government overreach’: CSIS

20240213170232-65cbee292fc79c2b715a6b48j
A small Canadian flag and flowers are shown on temporary fencing in downtown Ottawa on Sunday, Feb. 20, 2022. The loosely knit collective that vocally opposed COVID-19 health measures has morphed into a movement waging a broader fight against "perceived government overreach," says a newly released assessment from Canada's spy agency. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

By Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press

Posted February 14, 2024 1:00 am.

The loosely knit collective that vocally opposed COVID-19 health measures has morphed into a movement waging a broader fight against “perceived government overreach,” says a newly released assessment from Canada’s spy agency.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service’s analytical brief traces the evolution of the “Freedom” movement that began to emerge following the early 2022 protests that paralyzed downtown Ottawa and key Canada-U.S. border points.

In early February 2022, the streets around Parliament Hill were jammed with protesters, many in large trucks that rolled into the capital beginning in late January.

Initially promoted as a demonstration against COVID-19 health restrictions — including lockdowns and vaccine mandates — the gathering attracted people with various grievances against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his government.

Exactly two years ago, the federal government responded by invoking the Emergencies Act, which allowed for temporary measures including the prohibition of public assemblies, direction to banks to freeze assets and a ban on support for participants.

The Canadian Press used the Access to Information Act to obtain the April 2023 CSIS brief, “Defining the ‘Freedom’ Movement,” and related assessments of what the spy service calls ideologically motivated violent extremism.

While a movement may collectively hold extreme views, only a small portion of those involved may be willing to engage in serious violence, CSIS says.

The intelligence service points to the constitutional protection of freedom of expression and stresses that it does not investigate lawful protest unless it is carried out in conjunction with threat-related activities.

As many public health measures began to be lifted by early spring 2022, CSIS observed individuals “broadening the scope of their grievances” and identifying as members of the “Freedom” movement.

The change was also evident to those who saw and heard flag-waving protesters who lingered around the Parliament Buildings and gathered on highway overpasses.

The “Freedom” movement builds on the fundamental narratives of the anti-public health measures movement, including opposition to globalization and suspicion of pharmaceutical companies, with a heavy focus on alleged government infringement of personal liberties, the CSIS analysis says.

“While this perceived tyranny is widespread across the movement, other narratives are becoming increasingly common among adherents,” the brief says, citing opposition to:

— the LGBTQ+ community, specifically drag story times and inclusion of material in public school curriculums;

— perceived increase in global control over Canada by international institutions such as the United Nations and the World Economic Forum;

— Communism;

— and the concept of “15-minute cities,” on the basis that planning easily navigable communities is a plot to restrict mobility rights and create a mass-surveillance state.

CSIS is looking at the potential of such narratives to lead to disruption and violence, said Barbara Perry, director of the Centre on Hate, Bias and Extremism at Ontario Tech University.

“They’re of the opinion that these are the kinds of grievances, if you will, that are likely to bring people to the brink of violence,” Perry said in an interview.

CSIS defines an ideologically motivated violent extremist movement as a loosely organized collection of people, linked by virtual and offline networks, who share a distinct identity.

Such movements have adversarial relations with clearly identified opponents, and aim to carry out, resist or undo social change, the intelligence service’s brief says.

A movement does not have a formal or legitimate leader, but rather is guided by the people who join it in more or less spontaneous fashion, CSIS says.

Perry said the move toward these looser, individual-based movements is “a worrying trend” in some respects because it’s “much more difficult to identify which of those hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people” is going to commit an act of extreme violence.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/14/evolving-freedom-movement-fighting-perceptions-of-government-overreach-csis/

• Thanks 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is.  They're screaming about "rural roads" in Alberta and Ontario, but what they're not telling people is that roads of that nature are entirely provincial mandates not federal.

Now where have I heard this before.....?🤔

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Nobody ever accused them of brilliance or intelligence.  :hurhur:

(Entitlement, maybe... :classic_ninja:)

Honest to god tho, how does someone get to this point? The complete denial of how a country like Canada works and what it provides is stunning. 

• chaos 1

Just saw the best quote from Jon Stewarts first night back on The Daily Show, and I totally agree:

"The work of making this world resemble one that you would prefer to live in is a lunch pail job, day in and day out, where thousands of committed, anonymous, smart and dedicated people bang on closed doors and pick up those that are fallen and grind away on issues until they get a positive result and even then have to stay on to make sure that result holds."

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Just saw the best quote from Jon Stewarts first night back on The Daily Show, and I totally agree:

"The work of making this world resemble one that you would prefer to live in is a lunch pail job, day in and day out, where thousands of committed, anonymous, smart and dedicated people bang on closed doors and pick up those that are fallen and grind away on issues until they get a positive result and even then have to stay on to make sure that result holds."

Can't do this with your thumbs 

52 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I think someone is gonna have some 'splainin to do.

Ottawa's contracts with GC Strategies have amounted to over $239M since 2015

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arrivecan-gc-strategies-contracts-suspended-report-1.7115203

Radio-Canada has verified that the federal government's 129 contracts since 2015 with GC Strategies — a private IT staffing company based in Ottawa — added up to over $239 million. La Presse first reported the figure. 

"GC Strategies was taking public servants out for whiskey tasting and luxurious evenings, so what rules were not followed is an important question that the auditor general we know will uncover," Barrett said, referring to details in a Globe and Mail report that were later confirmed by Hogan.

At least 28 of GC Strategies' contracts compiled by Radio-Canada were awarded without competition. 

One of the addresses linked to GC Strategies and listed in a business directory leads to a bungalow in Ottawa, while a second address leads to a law firm on Carling Avenue in the capital, La Presse reported.

Barrett said "most people would find it incomprehensible" that a company working out of a bungalow would have over $200 million in contracts with the federal government. 

A scandal of this kind creates"difficulties for any government," said Minister of Northern Affairs Dan Vandal.

"Government functions on trust," he said. "It functions on confidence and on the face of it, it doesn't look good."

"If someone did something wrong, they'll have to pay the price," Transport Minister Pablo Rodriguez said in French.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1