Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

The wording in your article is so CBC. "Intelligence agency says risk will 'almost certainly continue' over the coming year"

Yet there isn't one example of anyone being attacked in Canada over a gender issue. Unless you count mean tweets from JBP.

Jordan Peterson has been re-educated by his masters at the College of Psychiatrists of Ontario but it sounds like we won't be seeing any of his or any other differing opinions in Canada any more. 

The world will be a better place if Peterson cuts out the hate speech and starts acting like a reasonable facsimile of a person.  He's lucky he's not in prison where he belongs.

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

The wording in your article is so CBC. "Intelligence agency says risk will 'almost certainly continue' over the coming year"

Yet there isn't one example of anyone being attacked in Canada over a gender issue. Unless you count mean tweets from JBP.

Jordan Peterson has been re-educated by his masters at the College of Psychiatrists of Ontario but it sounds like we won't be seeing any of his or any other differing opinions in Canada any more. 

Where do you get this shit?   Do I have to waste my time getting statistics or can you just admit you are just making stuff up?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

Peterson is a cancer. He's convinced so many young men to hate, it's really sad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/transphobic-video-bus-hamilton-court-1.7107570

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilton-region/hamilton-man-pleads-guilty-to-assault-in-transphobic-hate-incident-recorded-on-bus/article_8f1392b5-8fe5-508f-9abc-b214e2733803.html

Also an incident where someone who isn't trans got attacked. Transphobia affects everyone and flies in the face of everything Canada stands for and our values.

From the article:

Reading from an agreed statement of facts, assistant Crown attorney Imran Shaikh said Pretula was already on the bus, recording on his cellphone when two brothers and their mother boarded around 3:35 p.m. on Aug. 1.

Unprovoked, Pretula turned his attention to the brothers, described in court as young adults.

“What is your pronoun d*psh*t, your pronoun is retard,” Pretula says, as he continues to record.

“I don’t know what this goofball transformer looking thing is,” he says.

And later: “what is this goddamned monstrosity of life.”

Shaikh said the recording lasted about five minutes until Pretula got up and walked toward the doors at a bus stop. At the same time, one of the victims outstretched his leg and it touched Pretula, who turned and kicked the victim “with considerable force, three times.”

Pretula then clenched his left fist and held it close to the victim’s face while saying: “do it again ... kick me again.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/9765882/couple-kelowna-track-meet-incident-central-okanagan-schools/

From the article:

The nine-year-old girl, whose name is being withheld, was competing in the shotput event when she was allegedly verbally accosted by a couple who were at the track meet, purportedly, to support their grandchild

“(The man) proceeded to say that if my daughter was not a boy, then she was definitely trans, and should be disqualified from competing. In the meantime, his wife was shouting that I was a genital mutilator, a groomer and a pedophile,” the girl’s mom, Heidi Starr outlined in a Facebook post that travelled far and wide in recent days.

Edited by DSVII

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

god thats pathetic. Some 50+ year old dude on HGH flexing on a child. 

Jordan Peterson must be thrilled.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Well a lot of them would violate our laws against hate speech and discrimination.

its just funny to me that they pretend to not be promoting certain ideas when called out. Its kind of cowardly, actually. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"who me?" 

why can't todays con's just own their views? its too funny. 

Who said they ever "owned" a view?  Almost all of the time, they're parroting other peoples' views.  Critical thought never was their strong suit.  :classic_rolleyes:

Not to mention the only thing they seem to want to "own" are the "libtards".  And they're doing pretty bad at that too.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Why do people on this board assume soo much about others?

It’s fuelled by smugness and arrogance.  
If you aren’t a full out liberal, you are a dumb, racist, sexist, asshole conservative.  
It’s not these boards, just mostly the political threads.  
Sometimes this thread can be fun, but for the most part it’s bullshit.  

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

"The majority of research has focused on women sex workers with a growing body of research on trans sex workers—those whose gender identity or expression differs from their assigned birth sex—emerging in global settings (Bhattacharjya et al., 2015; Infante, Sosa-Rubi, & Cuadra, 2009; Rhodes, Simić, Baros, Platt, & Zikic, 2008; Socías, Marshall, Arístegui, Romero, et al., 2014). This research suggests that trans sex workers may be particularly vulnerable to violence due to a complex interplay of social-structural contexts. For example, Hwahng and Nuttbrock’s (2007) study of three trans communities demonstrated how social-structural contexts of racism and economic barriers shaped vulnerabilities to violence. In addition, within the epidemiological literature, trans women sex workers have been found to experience significantly higher rates of physical and sexual violence by clients than cisgender sex workers—individuals whose assigned sex corresponds to their gender identity and gender expression (Cohan et al., 2006; Johnson, 2013; Nemoto, Bodeker, & Iwamoto, 2011)."

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1049732315613311

"Main Results: We identified 85 articles from 74 unique data sets (ntotal = 49 966 transgender participants). Across studies reporting it, the median lifetime prevalence of physical IPV was 37.5%, lifetime sexual IPV was 25.0%, past-year physical IPV was 16.7%, and past-year sexual IPV was 10.8% among transgender individuals. Compared with cisgender individuals, transgender individuals were 1.7 times more likely to experience any IPV (RR = 1.66; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.36, 2.03), 2.2 times more likely to experience physical IPV (RR = 2.19; 95% CI = 1.66, 2.88), and 2.5 times more likely to experience sexual IPV (RR = 2.46; 95% CI = 1.64, 3.69). Disparities persisted when comparing to cisgender women specifically. There was no significant difference in any IPV, physical IPV, or sexual IPV prevalence between assigned-female-sex-at-birth and assigned-male-sex-at-birth individuals, nor in physical IPV prevalence between binary- and nonbinary-identified transgender individuals. IPV victimization was associated with sexual risk, substance use, and mental health burden in transgender populations.

Authors’ Conclusions: Transgender individuals experience a dramatically higher prevalence of IPV victimization compared with cisgender individuals, regardless of sex assigned at birth. IPV prevalence estimates are comparably high for assigned-male-sex-at-birth and assigned-female-sex-at-birth transgender individuals, and for binary and nonbinary transgender individuals, though more research is needed."

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305774

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

If you aren’t a full out liberal, you are a dumb, racist, sexist, asshole conservative.  

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I've seen smugness and arrogance from all sides.   You guys are just outnumbered here so you get more chirps sent your way.

20 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nah, the word is far right reactionaries. Importing US MAGA talking points like trans folks grooming kids and swinging their cods in bathrooms. At the very least, it's how they're presenting themselves here with all the hyberbolic vitriol via these online personas. Who knows? Maybe in person they're fine to grab a beer with, but that's not what is being shown.

I think it's important to start differentiating between Conservatives and the full on Far Right Reactionaries that have hijacked the Conservative parties in the West. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

Poiliviere make sense common again please.

Trudeau is tossing away billions of dollars while Canadians live on the streets 

Where is this money being tossed away?

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I've seen smugness and arrogance from all sides.   You guys are just outnumbered here so you get more chirps sent your way.

You guys assume alot, then throw out chirps based on your assumptions. I won't vote lib or con, i don't trust either.

1 minute ago, Rob Eh said:

You guys assume alot, then throw out chirps based on your assumptions. I won't vote lib or con, i don't trust either.

Would I be smug or arrogant if I was to ask how that differs from some of the posts you have graced us with?

• Vintage 1