Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Ludvig said:

So why so high prices then?

That’s a great question. 

It’s not ‘Biden nor Trump’.

Remember, you may support Trump moreso politically, but no need to shit on Biden without looking into things a bit more closely. 

One would be well served in front of others to remember such things.

Good day.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

You walked in here with earplugs and then cried victim when everyone called you out.  Nobody's taking you seriously because you had no intention of actually defending yourself.

Nobody's taking me seriously cause I'm a self proclaimed proud conservative in a sea of left.

This forum is bigoted towards anyone who doesn't like the consensus views

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Lmao what is weak? Because I have other things to do that post research over things that are in our every day lives.

So it's OK to call me weak? 

🤣 

I wouldn't say weak in regards to your statements.  But in your defense of or unwillingness to prove your statements and your understanding of things I'd say more

Misinformed.

Ignorant.

Gullible.

Cowardly.

But not weak

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

I just told you...

Corporate pricing models and record profits

Again.  Interesting how taxes only increase by a few pennies a year but the average price at the pumps is up .17 cents a year since 2020

Screenshot_20230924-105400.png

Ok it’s just interesting I remember paying 1.45 under Obama but when trump came in it dropped to .89 to 1.15 

coincidence huh

3 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Nobody's taking me seriously cause I'm a self proclaimed proud conservative in a sea of left.

This forum is bigoted towards anyone who doesn't like the consensus views

You're not a victim champ.

Lol.

Your views have nothing to do with it.  There's a number of right wing leaning and small c types here.

Being called out for your crap and being unable to defend it doesn't mean you're being victimized.  It means you're being held accountable

Cry more

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Well it would be interesting to see of trump got in again what would happen with energy prices 

And taxes.  Revenue.  Civil rights.  Environmental standards.  International issues.

Most energy producers have essentially doubled the year over year and in same cases quarterly profits with zero increase in taxes and increased production which goes against market force mentality

The only thing that's changed is how they've priced their products 

Edited by Warhippy

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Not standing up for your beliefs is weak.  It's very weak.

*grumbles*

"Provinces and territories can implement their own system for either fuel or industrial emissions output, for both or for neither. The federal government’s standards apply when a province or territory chooses not to implement their own plans."

"British Columbia, New Brunswick, the Northwest Territories and Quebec have their own independent plans for both parts."

https://cupe.ca/federal-carbon-price-going-what-does-mean-you

I can tell you firsthand that this week's protests and the policies of some provinces (especially Higgs in NB) have profoundly affected some of these kids.

My rule is to never generalize.  If I ever have to, I'll preface it with a disclaimer.

I understand that BC has its own carbon rules. What I am trying to say is that the federal rules drove commodity based industries out of the country due to unsustainable growth. There is no escape for Alberta and Saskatchewan where a large majority of our commodities come from for example. The resource backed CAD diverged from commodities without a replacement. The sentiment is gone. Nobody is buying our currency because a large majority of our growth is entangled with the housing market that is inevitably going to correct. 

You have 2 weapons against inflation (directly) Your currency and interest rates our currency is range bound. Our interest rates are tied to a housing bubble. 

The conditions of this environment federally is what planted the seeds for what we see today. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I understand that BC has its own carbon rules. What I am trying to say is that the federal rules drove commodity based industries out of the country due to unsustainable growth. There is no escape for Alberta and Saskatchewan where a large majority of our commodities come from for example. The resource backed CAD diverged from commodities without a replacement. The sentiment is gone. Nobody is buying our currency because a large majority of our growth is entangled with the housing market that is inevitably going to correct. 

You have 2 weapons against inflation (directly) Your currency and interest rates our currency is range bound. Our interest rates are tied to a housing bubble. 

The conditions of this environment federally is what planted the seeds for what we see today. 

I'm not following you.  Interest rates and currency rates are both controlled by the BoC.

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The solution though is again.

Direct government intervention.  This would crater/tank the housing sector and energy.

Trudeau attempted a hands off ish approach with energy in buying a pipeline.  That insanity is going to take forever to pay off.  Housing would be even worse.

No potential leader is going to champion that level of intervention short of lip service and dumping it on the provinces to take the blame 

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I just told you...

Corporate pricing models and record profits

Again.  Interesting how taxes only increase by a few pennies a year but the average price at the pumps is up .17 cents a year since 2020

Screenshot_20230924-105400.png

I can actually chime in on this one. The oil crash in 15 and during Covid leaned up balance sheets. A lot of those increases in profits came from the giants buying everyone. The oil market is now consolidated and more efficient. Technology is also a huge factor in increasing profits. We also just can’t compare our landscape in the us vs Canada. Texas is wide open. 

23 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It’s too complex. Saskatchewan towns and Vancouver area for example could never follow the same rules. 

I'd think it would be each provinces' version of it... but  I dunno. 

I lived in Van for 20 years and all I saw and heard was slow development times, lots of red tape and nimby folk all around. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd think it would be each provinces' version of it... but  I dunno. 

I lived in Van for 20 years and all I saw and heard was slow development times, lots of red tape and nimby folk all around. 

So in other words, the fault lies locally, not federally.  

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm not following you.  Interest rates and currency rates are both controlled by the BoC.

The bank of Canada is controlling inflation with interest rates. Inflation is tied directly to currency. The BOC has no direct control over our currency. It would be awesome if they did. 
The foreign exchange market determines the value of our currency. It’s just like equity markets and Canada would be the company you’re buying equity from. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The solution though is again.

Direct government intervention.  This would crater/tank the housing sector and energy.

Trudeau attempted a hands off ish approach with energy in buying a pipeline.  That insanity is going to take forever to pay off.  Housing would be even worse.

No potential leader is going to champion that level of intervention short of lip service and dumping it on the provinces to take the blame 

All you can do is stop inflation so the bank lowers interest rates. It needs to happen within 3 years. 

23 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Just going to say:

Good on you.

I don't always, or maybe even often, agree; however you are good at expressing and explaining your views.

An actual debate, point/ counter point discussion is occurring here; and I'm just not as used to that as I'd like to be.

I'd vote for you, over the 2 main party leaders.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Ok it’s just interesting I remember paying 1.45 under Obama but when trump came in it dropped to .89 to 1.15 

coincidence huh

A very interesting thing happens in the US oil market. This is more of a rule of thumb than actual research backed fact. But it hilariously lines up perfectly all the time. 

When a democratic government is in power the regulatory and taxation is increased which slows down drilling. 
when drilling slows down the production falls and the prices go up. 

When a Republican government is in power they deregulate and lower taxation. This creates a drilling frenzy and production out paces demand driving down oil prices. 

its quite the dichotomy. The Oil field is 99% Republicans. Yet the the party they hate produce the conditions for higher prices and more drilling and a consistent level. When the republicans are in power it’s a boom and bust oil market, which nobody wants lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Just going to say:

Good on you.

I don't always, or maybe even often, agree; however you are good at expressing and explaining your views.

An actual debate, point/ counter point discussion is occurring here; and I'm just not as used to that as I'd like to be.

I'd vote for you, over the 2 main party leaders.

Well said @Gurn

7AD4B43C-4452-4B36-9DEA-66ED417F51BE.gif

• Cheers 1