Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Why are people so mad that a bunch of able bodied truckers didn't want to be forced to take a Vax for a virus that kills people in their 80's and 90's? 

Imagine destroying an entire economy for years to come, letting people go from their jobs, causing extreme poverty, drug use and homeless issues and causing mass divisiveness over a virus that kills people at the average age of 82....life expectancy age on the dot

Most people taking up hospital beds were obese.  Am I allowed to be mad at people who knowingly destroyed their bodies over the years and then took up resources when a pandemic came along?  

12 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Why are people so mad that a bunch of able bodied truckers didn't want to be forced to take a Vax for a virus that kills people in their 80's and 90's? 

Imagine destroying an entire economy for years to come, letting people go from their jobs, causing extreme poverty, drug use and homeless issues and causing mass divisiveness over a virus that kills people at the average age of 82....life expectancy age on the dot

Most people taking up hospital beds were obese.  Am I allowed to be mad at people who knowingly destroyed their bodies over the years and then took up resources when a pandemic came along? 

You forgot Plague of Locusts, Rain of Fire and Boils.....:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good, so I assume you'll call out the right when they make those kinds of generalizations going forward, since you claim to be a "centrist".

Anyone who labels an entire group over the actions of a couple regardless of what they are protesting is unacceptable, so yes I would 

40 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

1) Why are people so mad that a bunch of able bodied truckers didn't want to be forced to take a Vax for a virus that kills people in their 80's and 90's? 

2) Imagine destroying an entire economy for years to come, letting people go from their jobs, causing extreme poverty, drug use and homeless issues and causing mass divisiveness over a virus that kills people at the average age of 82....life expectancy age on the dot

3) Most people taking up hospital beds were obese.  Am I allowed to be mad at people who knowingly destroyed their bodies over the years and then took up resources when a pandemic came along?  

1) Because of what they did and the way they did it.  Go ahead - convince me to think otherwise.

2) There you go using the word  'cause' again.  You and I have been here before.   I'd be open to a discussion as to how some things were worsened.

3) Most were obese?   The greater the BMI the greater the risk but I think you are exaggerating.   I look forward to a riveting discussion on the definition of obese.

EDIT -  if you think only people in their 80's and 90's died then - to quote yourself - you have been living under a rock.

Edited by Satchmo

12 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Anyone who labels an entire group over the actions of a couple regardless of what they are protesting is unacceptable, so yes I would 

What are your feelings on BLM?

49 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

1) Because of what they did and the way they did it.  Go ahead - convince me to think otherwise.

2) There you go using the word  'cause' again.  You and I have been here before.   I'd be open to a discussion as to how some things were worsened.

3) Most were obese?   The greater the BMI the greater the risk but I think you are exaggerating.   I look forward to a riveting discussion on the definition of obese.

EDIT -  if you think only people in their 80's and 90's died then - to quote yourself - you have been living under a rock.

Here is the breakdown for deaths from COVID in Canada up until February 10, 2024:

Total deaths:  37,601

Age breakdown:

0-11 = 59

12-19 = 22

20-29 = 136

30-39 = 339

40-49 = 712

50-59 = 1860

60-69 = 4416

70-79 = 8308

80+ = 21,749

So, roughly 80% of all deaths were people over the age of 70 and roughly 97% of all deaths were people over the age of 50...

COVID-19 epidemiology update: Current situation — Canada.ca

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Here is the breakdown for deaths from COVID in Canada up until February 10, 2024:

Total deaths:  37,601

Age breakdown:

0-11 = 59

12-19 = 22

20-29 = 136

30-39 = 339

40-49 = 712

50-59 = 1860

60-69 = 4416

70-79 = 8308

80+ = 21,749

So, roughly 80% of all deaths were people over the age of 70 and roughly 97% of all deaths were people over the age of 50...

COVID-19 epidemiology update: Current situation — Canada.ca

This I know and was the reason I was disputing the statement that the virus only kills people in their 80's and 90's.    We all know elderly people were more at risk but that statement was over the top.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

What do you mean how were things worsened?  We shut down..stores closed, people were laid off/fired, supply chain issues, prices went up, there were less places to live, people became homeless, lack of healthcare, lack of mental rehabilitation resources.   

Campbell River used to be clean and safe with no homeless but is has become a tent city.  13 year olds are overdosing, businesses are being burglarized or being shit and spat on by people hopped up on drugs that our government supplies them.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Covid is politicized so none of this will matter to anybody here.  People who made themselves unhealthy were hogging hospital space but someone skeptical of a vaccine that was rushed into the forefront to battle a virus that came from some weird lab in China are to blame?  We can only blame right wing anti vaxxers for not sticking their thumbs up their bums every time the government tells them to like the left does.  

No not only people in their 80-90's but the majority.  Meanwhile, supply chain issues and soaring prices has caused millions of children in poor countries to become malnourished and/or dead.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

All I can say is who the heck do you think you are that makes so special and entitled to say that. Sad. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This I know and was the reason I was disputing the statement that the virus only kills people in their 80's and 90's.    We all know elderly people were more at risk but that statement was over the top.

There was no statement that said that.  You read what you wanted to read so that you had an argument to try and make, it's typical for this place, it's okay

Just now, Wiggums said:

We can agree to disagree.  It's how I feel.  Cheers

You still didn't need domestic terrorists throwing a tantrum in Ottawa and closing the border (which also caused a lot of disruptions to supply chains).  Restrictions were pretty much done by the time the Flu Trux Klan started its occupation.  They were not "agreeing to disagree".

• ThereItIs 2
  • Desmenko 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

You still didn't need domestic terrorists throwing a tantrum in Ottawa and closing the border (which also caused a lot of disruptions to supply chains).  Restrictions were pretty much done by the time the Flu Trux Klan started its occupation.  They were not "agreeing to disagree".

Sure?  or maybe they could of just lifted the travel ban.  There's two sides to the street, or whatever the saying is.  

For the record I'm double vaxxed so i don't wanna hear nothing about that.

Edited by Wiggums

15 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

We can agree to disagree.  It's how I feel.  Cheers

Your opinion is not fact.  Never will be.  it's why people like you are so often derided.

because your opinions are pushed as fact but you ignore facts because they hurt your feelings and defeat your opinion

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Sure?  or maybe they could of just lifted the travel ban.  There's two sides to the street, or whatever the saying is.  

For the record I'm double vaxxed so i don't wanna hear nothing about that.

What travel ban exactly?

Thje one in which the United States of America dictated that all cross border commercial traffic had to be run by vaccinated individuals?

Ya guessing that doesn't really jive you "how you feel" does it

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What do you mean how were things worsened?  We shut down..stores closed, people were laid off/fired, supply chain issues, prices went up, there were less places to live, people became homeless, lack of healthcare, lack of mental rehabilitation resources.   

Campbell River used to be clean and safe with no homeless but is has become a tent city.  13 year olds are overdosing, businesses are being burglarized or being shit and spat on by people hopped up on drugs that our government supplies them.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-cdc-study-finds-roughly-78percent-of-people-hospitalized-were-overweight-or-obese.html

Covid is politicized so none of this will matter to anybody here.  People who made themselves unhealthy were hogging hospital space but someone skeptical of a vaccine that was rushed into the forefront to battle a virus that came from some weird lab in China are to blame?  We can only blame right wing anti vaxxers for not sticking their thumbs up their bums every time the government tells them to like the left does.  

No not only people in their 80-90's but the majority.  Meanwhile, supply chain issues and soaring prices has caused millions of children in poor countries to become malnourished and/or dead.  

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Great movie.

This country has gone to shit.  Must be nice thinking everything is sunshine and rainbows, I'll have what you're having.  

Then move.

You're one of the groups whining about every single thing in this nation like somehow it is broken.  Without actual thought or intellectual conversation about how it is broken or how to fix it.

You're camp one of those that will whine about every possible thing in your life that is wrong and blame the government for it instead of taking ownership for your own failures or lack of success.

I am personally better off now than I was 10 years ago as are many others.  Many are worse off.  That's how shit works.

Because you're magically not better off is not the governments fault.  Move locations.  go back to school.  Get a better job.  

No?  Instead just blame the government.  Much easier.  Shit it's worked for Alberta since 79, been a Trudeaus fault for almost 5 decades so why not for your camp too right?

newsflash champ.  If your life sucks, It's because you don't try to fix it and that isn't the governments fault.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

There was no statement that said that.  You read what you wanted to read so that you had an argument to try and make, it's typical for this place, it's okay

Who said this then: 'a virus that kills people in their 80's and 90's' ?  Was it your evil twin?

• Vintage 1