Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Every thought and point I made had to do with helping the life of someone. I'm not discrediting any death at the expense of another.  Sorry for your losses

No? This you?

4 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Why are people so mad that a bunch of able bodied truckers didn't want to be forced to take a Vax for a virus that kills people in their 80's and 90's? 

Imagine destroying an entire economy for years to come, letting people go from their jobs, causing extreme poverty, drug use and homeless issues and causing mass divisiveness over a virus that kills people at the average age of 82....life expectancy age on the dot

Most people taking up hospital beds were obese.  Am I allowed to be mad at people who knowingly destroyed their bodies over the years and then took up resources when a pandemic came along? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

having an echo chamber of a majority is one thing.  Having an echo chamber because you block those that hold you accountable for your posts or statements is very different

The name calling, swearing and denigrating isn’t serious debate IMHO. Agree to disagree and move on. Which is what I am doing.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The name calling, swearing and denigrating isn’t serious debate IMHO. Agree to disagree and move on. Which is what I am doing.

THIS.  100%.  Being held accountable for posts?  Laughable.  A bunch of grown men telling others to go **** themselves and then getting upset when you actually fight back and then ignore them.  They are only upset they are on my ignore list because they can’t attack me directly any longer.  They are going to miss that.  It’s like a drug for them.  

They never wanted serious debate.  It was never about that. It was all about power, control and self righteousness…

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

This is dramatic, way over the top and unhinged.  People need to learn to keep their emotions in check.  Swearing, insulting and calling for mods because someone said something you don't like?  Time to grow up.

Do you care about trans kids killing themselves in this country

Yes or no

22 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Yes 

Then why the fuck would you oppose them getting the care they need

Why the fuck would you deny them the dignity of using the bathrooms they choose to use

Why the fuck are you supporting any kind of measure that would push these kids toward suicide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If cussing bothers you then you're not passionate enough about a situation to consider it.

I don't always agree with the name calling but I do in fact dig at people regularly if they are bing ridiculous childish petulant or outright trolling.

I won't disagree with you but I also can not entirely agree with you.

So i will agree to disagree as it were as you said and hope you have a good night

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

THIS.  100%.  Being held accountable for posts?  Laughable.  A bunch of grown men telling others to go **** themselves and then getting upset when you actually fight back and then ignore them.  They are only upset they are on my ignore list because they can’t attack me directly any longer.  They are going to miss that.  It’s like a drug for them.  

They never wanted serious debate.  It was never about that. It was all about power, control and self righteousness…

You're not a victim sir don't act like one.

Nobody is upset they are on your ignore list.  

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1) They never wanted serious debate.

2)  It was never about that. It was all about power, control and self righteousness…

1) I wanted one.  Not sure I got it.

2) Seriously?  

36 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

:classic_laugh:

Somebody has a high opinion of himself....:classic_rolleyes:

Take 5 @RupertKBD.

I had a feeling you were getting riled up, even from your posts the last few days. Don't get worked up because of posters on the internet. 

You (and I) may not agree with them but they are entitled to their opinions plus discourse is healthy, when emotions are kept in check. 

• MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

1) I wanted one.  Not sure I got it.

2) Seriously?  

I’ve debated you many times.  You never called me an ***hole or told me to go **** myself.  So it was a serious debate.  And yes, I am serious.  People who try to intimidate with their words are power hungry and self righteous.  This has gone on for a long time.  Since the CDC days.  I remember back on CDC I started a thread and then had to leave my own thread because certain posters literally ganged up on me and ran me out of the thread.  

I have no problems debating people one on one when there is a level of respect.  However, when the respect is not there and the other poster resorts to personal insults and denigration, then on top of that it is 5 against 1, then that is the time to bow out and walk away.  I’m pretty sure these posters don’t act this way in real life.  It’s impossible to be that way when you are face to face with another human being.  Which is why social media is so toxic.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

When you really break it down, it's seems to be the common thread in the right's view on most of these issues.

A refusal to participate in society beyond what they can use to their own benefit. 

Nothing to do with the greater good, making a stronger society for all, picking people up, building something bigger than the sun of its parts.... It's just not there.

You've described the difference between the old PCs and the current reformers nicely with this as well.

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You've described the difference between the old PCs and the current reformers nicely with this as well.

SO here is an interesting bit from my week. Two of my four sisters, married to a farmer and a logger, are defending the name of a creek in a backwater village in the valley we live in. Coon Creek. Their hubbies are conservative folks. None of them had a thought for coon creek before it was proposed to change the name by an area director and it became a topic in the local zeitgeist. 

So now the battle lines are drawn, among those aware of the story: "Libtards are ruining our history and our culture and going too far with these statue removals and name changes" vs "Even if it happened to be named after an infestation of Racoons, it is probably best for future folks who won't know that, that we change the name to something less charged, like Fern Creek or what have you."

My sisters, who I can not overstate would never have mentioned Coon Creek in their entire lives if it were not about to be named something else (it is a nonconsequential often dry little trickle of water that ends up in Lake Cowichan the months that it is running) have leaned towards their husbands rhetoric and are vocally against the renaming of coon creek.  They generally are not bigoted in any of my lifelong dealings with them.

This is my very recent anecdote for how the Reformers and Alt Right and even down south, the MAGA's and Tea Partiers before them can sort of grab the wheel of the bus and take everyone in it down a sketchy slope. My brothers in law are not racists, they are small c conservatives, not really open to too much change too fast, but generally would agree in the equality of all humans. But their friends are maybe a bit more ALTish, a bit more 'old stock canadian is best canadian' and a bit more "the indians lost, we won, it is what it is" kind of people. The bus they are all in is being driven by maybe not extremists, but people like Pierre Poilievre who don't mind that extremist right wingers are holding the map and telling him where to turn. The more subtle, slightly right of Center farmers and loggers in my families case, are just in the vehicle.

This is how things are wedged and camped and then militarised by rather small percentages who tend to be the most vocal and willing to fight about it. Just some thoughts over coffee. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

SO here is an interesting bit from my week. Two of my four sisters, married to a farmer and a logger, are defending the name of a creek in a backwater village in the valley we live in. Coon Creek. Their hubbies are conservative folks. None of them had a thought for coon creek before it was proposed to change the name by an area director and it became a topic in the local zeitgeist. 

So now the battle lines are drawn, among those aware of the story: "Libtards are ruining our history and our culture and going too far with these statue removals and name changes" vs "Even if it happened to be named after an infestation of Racoons, it is probably best for future folks who won't know that, that we change the name to something less charged, like Fern Creek or what have you."

My sisters, who I can not overstate would never have mentioned Coon Creek in their entire lives if it were not about to be named something else (it is a nonconsequential often dry little trickle of water that ends up in Lake Cowichan the months that it is running) have leaned towards their husbands rhetoric and are vocally against the renaming of coon creek.  They generally are not bigoted in any of my lifelong dealings with them.

This is my very recent anecdote for how the Reformers and Alt Right and even down south, the MAGA's and Tea Partiers before them can sort of grab the wheel of the bus and take everyone in it down a sketchy slope. My brothers in law are not racists, they are small c conservatives, not really open to too much change too fast, but generally would agree in the equality of all humans. But their friends are maybe a bit more ALTish, a bit more 'old stock canadian is best canadian' and a bit more "the indians lost, we won, it is what it is" kind of people. The bus they are all in is being driven by maybe not extremists, but people like Pierre Poilievre who don't mind that extremist right wingers are holding the map and telling him where to turn. The more subtle, slightly right of Center farmers and loggers in my families case, are just in the vehicle.

This is how things are wedged and camped and then militarised by rather small percentages who tend to be the most vocal and willing to fight about it. Just some thoughts over coffee. 

Just call it "racoon creek". You're not changing history that way, just lazy spelling.

I have similar folks in my family. They are more the anti crosswalk type, "because Jesus." I point out Jesus never said a word about gay people, to which I recieved blinking and head shaking.

I've said it ad naseum already but this selfish victimhood culture of the CPC is a big problem. It's also all borrowed from the US right. If Skippy gets a majority I think he'll cement this kind of  thinking into our culture and I believe it could be the first step to actually losing Canada to the US. I do think that many CPC supporters would happily give up being Canadian if they got a second amendment e.g.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Just call it "racoon creek". You're not changing history that way, just lazy spelling.

I have similar folks in my family. They are more the anti crosswalk type, "because Jesus." I point out Jesus never said a word about gay people, to which I recieved blinking and head shaking.

I've said it ad naseum already but this selfish victimhood culture of the CPC is a big problem. It's also all borrowed from the US right. If Skippy gets a majority I think he'll cement this kind of  thinking into our culture and I believe it could be the first step to actually losing Canada to the US. I do think that many CPC supporters would happily give up being Canadian if they got a second amendment e.g.

Harper was an advisor and consultant to Donald Trump for the full term. Seen going in and out of the white house at least a dozen times over the term. Just sayin maybe it would be the third or fourth step towards losing Canada. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Harper was an advisor and consultant to Donald Trump for the full term. Seen going in and out of the white house at least a dozen times over the term. Just sayin maybe it would be the third or fourth step towards losing Canada. 

It's the cultural alignment with the US right piece by piece that I worry will erode our identity. How many people on the right watch fox news instead of CBC?

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Reminiscent of the outrage after the slight modification to the lyrics of the National Anthem.

As if the words to a song, generally performed only at the beginning of sporting events, changes anyone's life in any significant way.....:classic_rolleyes:

• ThereItIs 1