Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Reminiscent of the outrage after the slight modification to the lyrics of the National Anthem.

As if the words to a song, generally performed only at the beginning of sporting events, changes anyone's life in any significant way.....:classic_rolleyes:

True enough. A song which has had its lyrics changed dozens of times throughout its existence, but THIS TIME is the last straw, every time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

True enough. A song which has had its lyrics changed dozens of times throughout its existence, but THIS TIME is the last straw, every time. 

I'd be in favour of dropping the part about a mythical being keeping our land. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Personally, I'd rather they didn't play it at the beginning of every game...

Save it for when we've won a Gold medal and they're raising the flag to the rafters

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'd be in favour of dropping the part about a mythical being keeping our land. 

OH i am always trying to have that mythical being taken out of the preamble to the Charter too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Uhhh you really think what's been going on the last 2 pages has been "accountable for posts"? Wild. I got a warning for far less than what's been said the past 2 pages. People are getting out of control. Time to log off if you can't keep your emotions in check

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The name calling, swearing and denigrating isn’t serious debate IMHO. Agree to disagree and move on. Which is what I am doing.

Yep, thinking that name-calling, etc is holding others accountable is ridiculous. It's pretty easy to dismantle poor arguments without resorting to that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Personally, I'd rather they didn't play it at the beginning of every game...

Save it for when we've won a Gold medal and they're raising the flag to the rafters

I am a little mental these days, to put it mildly, and at live games when they play the anthem after a medal game like at the world juniors: i can't help but leak out of both eyes, constantly...never had that problem until I retired from the service. Now it is a constant. Heck, when Finland won at a game I was at same result, not just Canada...lol. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am a little mental these days, to put it mildly, and at live games when they play the anthem after a medal game like at the world juniors: i can't help but leak out of both eyes, constantly...never had that problem until I retired from the service. Now it is a constant. Heck, when Finland won at a game I was at same result, not just Canada...lol. 

Same. You can't help but feel the pride, seeing the flag being hoisted with the boys all singing and gold hanging around their necks.

But at anthem time before a Canucks - Oilers game, I'm flipping through channels to see if there's something interesting I can watch for three minutes....

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yep, thinking that name-calling, etc is holding others accountable is ridiculous. It's pretty easy to dismantle poor arguments without resorting to that.

I agree with your first point but unfortunately I can't agree with the second one based on what I've seen in this thread.  Many disputes just turn into a game of whack a mole or an exercise in goal post movement.

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I agree with your first point but unfortunately I can't agree with the second one based on what I've seen in this thread.  Many disputes just turn into a game of whack a mole or an exercise in goal post movement.

I fail to see how that justifies name-calling.

If people continue to use poor logic/arguments after breaking apart their argument, then why bother continuing with them? Once one resorts to name-calling it looks worse on them than the person they're saying it to.

• Cheers 2
  • Desmenko 1

28 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

People resort to it here imo because the positions some folks take are utterly ridiculous and without merit, but they dig in anyway. It's also not about actually reaching any kind of consensus or understanding. So yeah, they get laughed at after a while.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

I fail to see how that justifies name-calling.

If people continue to use poor logic/arguments after breaking apart their argument, then why bother continuing with them? Once one resorts to name-calling it looks worse on them than the person they're saying it to.

Was that not the point I was agreeing with?  

If you are proposing I just sit back when I see a statement that I think is either flat out incorrect or at the least misleading then I'm afraid I'm bound to disappoint you.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Coon Creek. Their hubbies are conservative folks. None of them had a thought for coon creek before it was proposed to change the name by an area director and it became a topic in the local zeitgeist. 

Powell River will be getting a name change.  Looks like it's going to be Quathet.

Seems the town was named after Israel Powell, and he was a racist kind of guy.- I don't know if he was racists, for the time he lived in or in today's time but whatever.

I don't mind the idea of not having the town named after him- but I've suggested rather than changing the name, let's just change who the town is named after.

There has to have been some other person named "Powell' that has done good things in this town.

p.s.- apparently the town's namesake never set foot in this town, so ....

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

You probably don't care, but the fact is, if I had made it to July, I would have gone 20 years between here and CDC without a single warning. It was something I was proud of...

But some things I can't ignore. It wasn't so much the two poster's callous disregard for the lives of elderly people and how their precious "freedoms" were worth more than the lives of people like my mom....it was the "who me?" garbage that followed it. Pretending that they weren't doing what they were doing.

Now I have my first warning and I'm okay with it. If people here think less of me because of what I said to those two, so be it.

Good on you for going that long without a warning. I've only received one as well, in my early times of CDC in 2010 or so where I was still learning how to internet so to speak. The warning said to attack the post, not the poster. It was great advice, and I've done it ever since.

You and some others make several posts with derogatory terms towards large groups of people. Sometimes that includes people in my family, including my mother, yet I don't feel the need to dish out personal attacks.

Justify your behaviour if you wish, but yes there will be people such as myself who think less of those who act that way.

• Cheers 4

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

People resort to it here imo because the positions some folks take are utterly ridiculous and without merit, but they dig in anyway. It's also not about actually reaching any kind of consensus or understanding. So yeah, they get laughed at after a while.

Still not a good reason imo

15 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Was that not the point I was agreeing with?  

If you are proposing I just sit back when I see a statement that I think is either flat out incorrect or at the least misleading then I'm afraid I'm bound to disappoint you.

Apologies, I thought you were saying you disagree and that it is fair game to name-call when posters do that.

If you were disagreeing with the notion that it's easy to pick apart flawed arguments, because they move goalposts, etc. I think that's a sign that you have successfully dismantled the argument. Many people simply won't admit when their argument has been proven faulty.

If I'm misunderstanding you here though please feel free to correct me.

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Apologies, I thought you were saying you disagree and that it is fair game to name-call when posters do that.

If you were disagreeing with the notion that it's easy to pick apart flawed arguments, because they move goalposts, etc. I think that's a sign that you have successfully dismantled the argument. Many people simply won't admit when their argument has been proven faulty.

If I'm misunderstanding you here though please feel free to correct me.

I think you are now seeing what I agreed with and what I did not.

I will speak no more on decorum or civility.  It was lost but now it's found.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Powell River will be getting a name change.  Looks like it's going to be Quathet.

Seems the town was named after Israel Powell, and he was a racist kind of guy.- I don't know if he was racists, for the time he lived in or in today's time but whatever.

I don't mind the idea of not having the town named after him- but I've suggested rather than changing the name, let's just change who the town is named after.

There has to have been some other person named "Powell' that has done good things in this town.

p.s.- apparently the town's namesake never set foot in this town, so ....

First I have heard of this, but interesting. I don't know enough to comment specifically, but again with an anecdote: my mom was really mad about Queen Charlotte Islands being renamed to Haida Gwaii. I suggested perhaps it was called Haida Gwaii by the people who lived there before it was renamed Queen Charlotte Islands, and she quieted down in thought for a bit. Her last 'hurrah' with the name change anger was along the lines of "they lost the war, they shouldn't complain about the name change". She was unaware that there was never a war in what is now BC against First Nations people. We have a history of treaties here on the west coast which the crown never upheld their end of the bargain they struck at virtual gunpoint. But now I am in the weeds....and will lose people of the 'we won the war' variety....lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

First I have heard of this, but interesting. I don't know enough to comment specifically, but again with an anecdote: my mom was really mad about Queen Charlotte Islands being renamed to Haida Gwaii. I suggested perhaps it was called Haida Gwaii by the people who lived there before it was renamed Queen Charlotte Islands, and she quieted down in thought for a bit. Her last 'hurrah' with the name change anger was along the lines of "they lost the war, they shouldn't complain about the name change". She was unaware that there was never a war in what is now BC against First Nations people. We have a history of treaties here on the west coast which the crown never upheld their end of the bargain they struck at virtual gunpoint. But now I am in the weeds....and will lose people of the 'we won the war' variety....lol. 

I've had this same argument about Haida Gwaii....even with people here on the North Coast, who should know better.

The fact is, it's been Haida Gwaii for millennia. QCI is the name that colonists changed it to.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

You probably don't care, but the fact is, if I had made it to July, I would have gone 20 years between here and CDC without a single warning. It was something I was proud of...

But some things I can't ignore. It wasn't so much the two poster's callous disregard for the lives of elderly people and how their precious "freedoms" were worth more than the lives of people like my mom....it was the "who me?" garbage that followed it. Pretending that they weren't doing what they were doing.

Now I have my first warning and I'm okay with it. If people here think less of me because of what I said to those two, so be it.

Lockdowns and certain regulations have played a large role in increased homelessness, drug use, depression, suicide, worldwide.  Supply chain issues and increased prices has caused mass amounts of child deaths in poorer countries.

These things will be felt around the world for a long time.  I look at the larger picture

I made all of these points already, each one of these points is made with the thoughts of fellow humans in mind.

It's an opinion and a viewpoint. 

Your explosion and calling in the mods was way over the top.

Edited by Wiggums
  • Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1