Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

I'm a bit versed in day parole in BC Corrections but this is making me want to understand the Federal system...for well, this reason...

Families of Robert Pickton’s victims brace for his ‘horrific’ day parole application eligibility

https://globalnews.ca/news/10309064/robert-pickton-day-parole-eligibility/

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm a bit versed in day parole in BC Corrections but this is making me want to understand the Federal system...for well, this reason...

Families of Robert Pickton’s victims brace for his ‘horrific’ day parole application eligibility

https://globalnews.ca/news/10309064/robert-pickton-day-parole-eligibility/

It's stories like this that make me open to capital punishment.

There's no way his application will ever be approved, so it's more a case of him actually having the right to apply.

What we probably need is a certain type of sentencing that eliminates any right to a parole application for any reason. Not sure if that even exists, or what would be required to enact such a rule.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Not sure if that even exists, or what would be required to enact such a rule.

Likely a new Charter of rights and freedoms.------ should be called 'Charter of rights, freedoms and responsibilities.

Good luck on getting enough consensus to accomplish that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Likely a new Charter of rights and freedoms.------ should be called 'Charter of rights, freedoms and responsibilities.

Pretty much what I suspected.

It sucks that the families will have to go through this, but it's likely an automatic thing that kicks in and doesn't take into account the heinous nature of the person's actions, or the lack of a possibility of approval.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

That drives me nuts about releasing criminals who are considered a high risk to reoffend.  The right of the public to not be sexually assaulted should trump the rights of a sex offender.

26 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

There's no way his application will ever be approved, so it's more a case of him actually having the right to apply.

What we probably need is a certain type of sentencing that eliminates any right to a parole application for any reason. Not sure if that even exists, or what would be required to enact such a rule.

Every single person imprisoned by the state needs to have the means to not only have a faint hope of eventual freedom, but also some mechanism of review about their time in prison. I can not think of a single case where this should not be true. 

As to King Heffy's sentiment that cases like this make an argument for capital punishment: I disagree. Killing as a punishment for killing is about as backwards as you can get. Not only that but what if the state is wrong? If the state murders a single person who was innocent, the entire justice system is not worth having, in my opinion, when we can and do incarcerate the worst offenders well into their feeble years if not for life. The extremely rare case, I can't think of ANY in Canada, where a murderer is let out and they murder again is so absolutely infinitesimally small chance of happening that it isn't worth legislating for. Would be like passing a law that bans rape on the moon. Sure we don't want anyone raped on the moon, but is it worth the hours/money spent to make that an actual law? I get it though, it feels right to want to revenge a death in the most heinous way or many deaths from one psycho by murdering that psycho, but aside from revenge, what does the nation get out of that? I don't think much at all. And the actual person who has to inflict the penalty: are they not now a murderer? 

I stand fully completely 100% opposed to the death penalty for these and many more reasons. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Every single person imprisoned by the state needs to have the means to not only have a faint hope of eventual freedom, but also some mechanism of review about their time in prison. I can not think of a single case where this should not be true. 

As to King Heffy's sentiment that cases like this make an argument for capital punishment: I disagree. Killing as a punishment for killing is about as backwards as you can get. Not only that but what if the state is wrong? If the state murders a single person who was innocent, the entire justice system is not worth having, in my opinion, when we can and do incarcerate the worst offenders well into their feeble years if not for life. The extremely rare case, I can't think of ANY in Canada, where a murderer is let out and they murder again is so absolutely infinitesimally small chance of happening that it isn't worth legislating for. Would be like passing a law that bans rape on the moon. Sure we don't want anyone raped on the moon, but is it worth the hours/money spent to make that an actual law? I get it though, it feels right to want to revenge a death in the most heinous way or many deaths from one psycho by murdering that psycho, but aside from revenge, what does the nation get out of that? I don't think much at all. And the actual person who has to inflict the penalty: are they not now a murderer? 

I stand fully completely 100% opposed to the death penalty for these and many more reasons. 

I am in agreement. I am against Capital punishment and have argued with posters about it on several occasions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I am in agreement. I am against Capital punishment and have argued with posters about it on several occasions.

now, Corporal Punishment, I am kind of in favour of: Graffiti up your town and you are caught? I think stockades in the town square might go a long way to reducing the crappola of petty crimes that chip away at a decent society. SHooting up in front of McDonalds? STockades for a few days while folks throw rotten fruit at you and perhaps a spanking by an authority figure. Guilty of your third petty theft where you cost some homeowner 500 bucks for new a new window and all you took was 12 bucks in change from their car? STOCKADES. I haven't fully thought this through, but with inner cities going the way they are going, maybe some light corporal punishment will fit the bill and reduce annoyance crime?

there is a couple in Lake Cowichan who have been caught three times that I know of, stealing trucks and trailers and in two cases heavy equipment from as far away as Mill Bay and Shawnigan lake...they are just addicted assholes, and stupid as well, since they are always caught driving back to their place in Lake Cowichan. Some drugs melt your brains folks, stay away from those ones. So yeah, the last time they were caught the RCMP pulled over the guy driving the stolen truck and trailer and backhoe...while his GF gunned it and tried to outrun the cops in their own truck...and she was arrested as she pulled into her driveway 10 minutes later. 

Those two, braindead drains on society should be in the stockades for a week at the Fall Fair. Dunk tank? How about a rotten fruit tank. Then next time its prison for a long stay.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

now, Corporal Punishment, I am kind of in favour of: Graffiti up your town and you are caught? I think stockades in the town square might go a long way to reducing the crappola of petty crimes that chip away at a decent society. SHooting up in front of McDonalds? STockades for a few days while folks throw rotten fruit at you and perhaps a spanking by an authority figure. Guilty of your third petty theft where you cost some homeowner 500 bucks for new a new window and all you took was 12 bucks in change from their car? STOCKADES. I haven't fully thought this through, but with inner cities going the way they are going, maybe some light corporal punishment will fit the bill and reduce annoyance crime?

I'd suggest you do my friend.  🙂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Is this spanking free?

asking for a friend, that is a bit frugal.

I totally admit i have not thought this through hahahaha....

if the cheapskate just has daddy issues then for her, yeah free as free can be. 😝

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I totally admit i have not thought this through hahahaha....

if the cheapskate just has daddy issues then for her, yeah free as free can be. 😝

Will we have to provide our personal information online in order to watch this?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Now you've got me thinking....

Those ads complaining about the cost of groceries could be jazzed up: "You know, I used to be able to buy a bag of rotten fruit and vegetables to throw at punks in stockades for $10 bucks....now that same bag costs me $15 bucks....and it doesn't even include peaches!".....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Now you've got me thinking....

Those ads complaining about the cost of groceries could be jazzed up: "You know, I used to be able to buy a bag of rotten fruit and vegetables to throw at punks in stockades for $10 bucks....now that same bag costs me $15 bucks....and it doesn't even include peaches!".....

I like peaches, she beat up my buddy at a strip club one night years ago...he deserved it. 

• Cheers 1

From what I have learned so far day parole in BC  for sentences that are not fed...2 years less a day, there are steps to go through to be elegible for day parole. I wonder what steps feds have for big sentences...

Btw, did you know...

In BC provincial prisons you will only serve 2/3s of your sentence if you dont screw up inside.

'Good behaviour' is front loaded. It's called remission. For every 30 days actually served, 45 come off your sentence. If you are charged inside ( usually assault or contraband) they will usually take back a few days of that remission ( plus seg is some cases). It's a charge that is not under the charter so it is a lot lighter ( sentence wise) than say an assault in the outside real world. Called the balance of probabilities ( like used in civil). A few problems with this are the challenges under criminal law and that corrections can use segragation as punishment upto 15 days as the hearing is sheduled. 

• Thanks 1

Seriously though, I would get behind an initiative where people convicted of petty crimes have their names and photos published in newspapers. If you're someone who feels the need to smash the windows of downtown businesses, maybe the owners of those shops deserve to know who you are....

• MillerTime 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Seriously though, I would get behind an initiative where people convicted of petty crimes have their names and photos published in newspapers. If you're someone who feels the need to smash the windows of downtown businesses, maybe the owners of those shops deserve to know who you are....

There are some reasone to be proud of BC.

There has been a new appraoch implemented in the last few years. I am taking tons of counselling type courses  at work on trauma, drug additictions, mental health etc... We have complex care units and are implamenting administrative fairness. We now call inmates, residents in our care and custody. Lots of carrots are dangled for the medium custody residents to become better people. i know it might sound soft but this has resulted in 30% less recidivism.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There are some reasone to be proud of BC.

There has been a new appraoch implemented in the last few years. I am taking tons of counselling type courses  at work on trauma, drug additictions, mental health etc... We have complex care units and are implamenting administrative fairness. We now call inmates, residents in our care and custody. Lots of carrots are dangled for the medium custody residents to become better people. i know it might sound soft but this has resulted in 30% less recidivism.

Yep. Another faction of CDC that I had plenty of arguments with are the "we're too soft on criminals" crew....

I've always subscribed to the "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" mantra.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

The bolded... 

To pick a bit on one of the posters in the tussle last night...recently I challenged him on what he claimed was  one of the best clubs in Vancouver when talking to one of American friends on here.

I took issue for a few resaons.

He was describing this claim about Vancouver in a way that I disagreed with, to someone not from Van.

I have a long background in Vancouver nightclubs and to this day i'm friends with a few owners of many clubs. So, since my friends have won awards for actully being some of the best clubs ( I ran a couple) I was interested. 

He stated that Drai's in Trump tower Vancouver was the best club 'back in the day' ( 6 years ago)

When I pointed out that the club was closed a year after opening ( due to sucking?) he kinda brushed it off and added, without realising, that he was confirming he doesn't know shit.

In his own words he stated that he doesn drink...how do you rate a club without talking abut the product they serve? How are the mixologist/bartenders drinks? if you dont consume. Liquor is a big part of liquor establishments.

He then mentioned that gangs would hang out there ....remember this is a 'best club in the city'. claim..i mean, WTF? 

and if gangs were there, they were skirting BarWatch. I was a member for a while, it's an anti-gang group involving the VPD. Maybe this is also part of why they closed, dunno. The DT Vancouver BarWatch is one of the most successful

So a gang hangout, that doesn;t make it a year, reviewed by a non-drinker... but he did claim that he scored a lot of hot chicks because he mentioned being sober helped. Sure.

Why did this get under my skin?

I saw it as him trying to show that 'Trump tower' In Vancouver was a place cool people went to. It wasn't, very few in Vancouver wanted to be assciated with anything to do with Trump as they do today. That is what I beleive to be true and what I want American friends on here to know. I am also defending the hard work of my frineds, people that for decades have operated the actual best clubs in the city. 

Btw, the only other poster that has ever talked about that club was Harvey Spector. He spoke of it in the same way...ladies, best club..i remember bugging him about it on CDC wayyy 'back in the day'   6 years ago.

So, what I am saying is... some centrists are...scooby doo...not. Just admit you are on the right and speak a bit closer to the truth. 

While I'm at it...people, stop saying echo chamber. it's weak. 

Go Nucks/

That's it really, just have the stones to own your position.

I think it's why PP is so popular with some millenial dudes, it's all about the game playing.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well how should we handle people that aren't discussing honestly?

By attacking the post and not the poster. The board guidelines make that pretty clear.

A general rule I learned in a communications class: never reply when angry. Nothing good will ever come of that.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Well how should we handle people that aren't discussing honestly?

If you TRULY believe someone isn't arguing in good faith or trolling, ignore or move on. Insulting people and hurling insults or silly memes isn't how to have proper discussion imo 🤷

• Cheers 2