Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, aGENT said:

If they'd been in power, they may have hastened and deepened it. The correction was coming either way.

Well real estate prices always correct to some degree. But what’s coming isn’t just a correction. We are talking the mother of all corrections.  I don’t believe we’ve ever had a 50% correction in real estate prices before. We may see that for the first time in history. 

Housing affordability is at its lowest level since 1981…

https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-real-estate-bubble-is-approaching-the-largest-in-history/

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

We won’t have a future full of social programs if this isn’t dealt with. There is nothing even close to as big as this issue. This will dramatically change the quality of your life. 
all the graphs comparing inflation number to the G20 mean nothing. They don’t have a housing bubble. 
All your claims are baseless. Trust me, I’ve looked many times over the years for quality of life metrics increasing due to increased social spending and it doesn’t exist. It works if you use your oil wealth like Saudi does but we don’t have that. We have housing wealth. 

And the cons aren't the ones to deal with it (and no, that isn't suggesting the Liberals are). Again, any economic boost from a con government is short term, with long term negative repercussions. They simply don't improve economies long term, they deplete them.

Also again, change for the sake of change is stupid. Purposely changing to something even worse than the status quo, is beyond stupid.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

How about simply listening to Biden and Pence? These are two leaders, one democrat; one republican, who know what’s right. Don’t support Pootin and his brutal invasion. Support Ukraine and its brave people. 

How about I think for myself...  I've always done ok in life by doing that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Wrong, it very much was avoidable. As I’ve explained 20 times. 

A housing correction, inflation and rising interest rates after a near 3 year halt to the global economy beyond any government's control was avoidable.. Ok lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/jewish-group-demands-apology-after-mps-honoured-man-who-fought-for-nazis-1.6575593

Jewish group demands apology after MPs honoured man who fought for Nazis

OTTAWA -  

Several Jewish advocacy organizations condemned members of Parliament on Sunday for giving a standing ovation to a man who fought for a Nazi unit during the Second World War.

Here is the apology…

IMG_9796.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks for the material recommendations.  I love learning about WW2.   I have since I was a kid. This subject, as it pertains to Canada, is apparently a large hole in my knowledge of it.

No matter what though, I will never accept tacit approval, one way or the other, of what the Nazi's did.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Bad timing.  I just thanked you for the reading suggestions.....

A bit quick on the trigger there.

I'm sorry.  We're both getting heated here.

These books are not easy to read, nor are they easy to stomach.  This is Eastern Europe - the Holocaust by bullets.  Neighbours turning on neighbours and burning houses down with them inside.  This part of history extends to Canada insofar as those same people coming to North America and starting families, while keeping connections back home.  The war heroes celebrated in Ukraine today were almost all collaborating with the Nazis.  The modern war heroes are also linked with neo-Nazi fascists. 

I've had the honour of speaking with a couple Holocaust survivors, and I asked them if they blame anyone for what happened.  They told me it was more important to remember than to condemn.  It certainly affected the way I approached my studies.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

I'm sorry.  We're both getting heated here.

These books are not easy to read, nor are they easy to stomach.  This is Eastern Europe - the Holocaust by bullets.  Neighbours turning on neighbours and burning houses down with them inside.  This part of history extends to Canada insofar as those same people coming to North America and starting families, while keeping connections back home.  The war heroes celebrated in Ukraine today were almost all collaborating with the Nazis.  The modern war heroes are also linked with neo-Nazi fascists. 

I've had the honour of speaking with a couple Holocaust survivors, and I asked them if they blame anyone for what happened.  They told me it was more important to remember than to condemn.  It certainly affected the way I approached my studies.

I'm sorry if I sound heated.  It's tough to convey tone.  I can sometimes seem kinda prickly when I discuss something with intent, but I'm enjoying the conversation with you.

I promise I'm not upset in the slightest.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/jewish-group-demands-apology-after-mps-honoured-man-who-fought-for-nazis-1.6575593

Jewish group demands apology after MPs honoured man who fought for Nazis

OTTAWA -  

Several Jewish advocacy organizations condemned members of Parliament on Sunday for giving a standing ovation to a man who fought for a Nazi unit during the Second World War.

Here is the apology…

IMG_9796.jpeg

Omg! How about we put our focus on what’s important right now, and that’s the innocent people of Ukraine and how they are being treated so badly be the Russian occupation? Or I’d that of no importance? 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well real estate prices always correct to some degree. But what’s coming isn’t just a correction. We are talking the mother of all corrections.  I don’t believe we’ve ever had a 50% correction in real estate prices before. We may see that for the first time in history. 

Housing affordability is at its lowest level since 1981…

https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-real-estate-bubble-is-approaching-the-largest-in-history/

And we're due for a large'ish correction. Fortunately/unfortunately, due to a global  demographic issue, there's simply too much housing demand for it to entirely collapse. 

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm sorry if I sound heated.  It's tough to convey tone.  I can sometimes seem kinda prickly when I discuss something with intent, but I'm enjoying the conversation with you.

I promise I'm not upset in the slightest.

Oh! You’re not upset in your comfortable safe home. How do you think the Ukrainian people are feeling, especially in the occupied territories, right now? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Your choice to choose to voice your opinion against Yhe Ukrainian people and their fight for survival. You do realize those heroic people are dying, right? 

Yes Alf, I do.  I haven't written one letter or email to any of my representatives in Congress.  However if the corrupt military leaders in Ukraine keep flooding the black market with what we're giving to them in order to enrich themselves, I'm going to become a pest and start bugging all 3 of my congressional representatives.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yes Alf, I do.  I haven't written one letter or email to any of my representatives in Congress.  However if the corrupt military leaders in Ukraine keep flooding the black market with what we're giving to them in order to enrich themselves, I'm going to become a pest and start bugging all 3 of my congressional representatives.

So now it’s your view that the Ukrainian military is corrupt? You’re entitled to your opinion but lease post evidence that the brave defenders of Ukraine are corrupt. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Common knowledge, one of the most corrupt in the world. 

The even sadder thing is that it ranked the second lowest in the region.  The least corrupt in that region....  Russia.

@Rob Eh

*edit*  Whoops.  I fudged up.  It's confusing at first glance, but the lower the number, the more corrupt.

That makes Ukraine the second most corrupt in the region behind only Russia.

MAP-en.png

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No. Alf is expressing what many feel. Put yourself into the shoes of those suffering Ukraine people, who are under Russian occupation. Then, after that, see if you think arguing your point is important. 

You are in the Canadian politics thread and telling people not to talk about Canadian politics. You are insisting we talk about Ukraine and the war which has its own thread. 

I love you Alf, but if you come after me one more time in this thread with this crap I’m going to go ballistic on you. 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh! You’re not upset in your comfortable safe home. How do you think the Ukrainian people are feeling, especially in the occupied territories, right now? 

As I said to @Sabrefan1, that is Eastern Europe.  We are not there.  We should be able to express support for the Ukrainians and the war of resistance without having to co-opt the country's long and complicated connections to neo-fascism and neo-Nazism.

Do you know what Speaker Rota should've done?  Just avoid the subject.  He just opened a bucket of worms with little to gain from it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The even sadder thing is that it ranked the second lowest in the region.  The least corrupt in that region....  Russia.

MAP-en.png

Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

CPI has Russia ranked as more corrupt than Ukraine.

Ukraine is ranked at 116 and Russia at 137 out of 180 countries.

• Like 1