Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sadly, any other word understates how evil PP and those who support him are.  Downplaying the atrocities he wants to commit against Canadians in the name of his barbaric belief down system isn't the solution either.  

You are hilarious mate

15 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Oof.

Doubt we see any retorts to this. It's a pretty good beatdown of the new "scandal". Or i guess we should call it a PP scandal now.

I just want to point out the facts.

The facts are, the Harper government in which Poilivere was a hgih ranking minister/individual appointed this person Pierre is now screeching about tot heir position.

The hypocrisy and short memory of the individual in question should in fact be questioned.  As he wants to be leader he should be FAR more honest and transparent about how this person who may in fact have been a spy or indiviual of espionage got their position and who was in power when it happened.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Some of you keep saying PP 'doesn't have a plan' or things to that effect, but should we really be expecting him to put forth anything worth considering before he attains any actual power? Or before campaigning really begins, at least? Is it typical for a party with little to no power to offer up their 'best' ideas?

If an individual spends their entirety of time at work stating the manager is wrong.  Everything the manager does is bad.  That everything in their place of employment is broken.

Then they'll draw a crowd.

If that crowd does not start asking how that individual will fix it, or if that individual just continues to whine as opposed to fixing things or showing people how to fix things, they are not in fact the type of person to fix things.

I've worked on every imaginable type of job and people like Pierre are a dime a dozen.  Quick to complain, quicker to point fingers but when it comes time to actually offer solutions or fix the issue they're whining about....crickets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

the amount of bloviating from PP about the housing crisis, and he really did nothing.  You do realize that he could table something.  Anything.  It's not like JT has the almost absolute power that comes with a majority government where he could block any suggestion from the opposition, right?

As of right now, an election isn't happening for a year.  A year, where PP could do something to help Canadians NOW and build his credibility with the voting public.  A YEAR, where he could change minds.  Instead, nothing but bitching.

It is a VALID thing for Canadians on the fence to ask what is he going to do?  You seem like the kind of folks who don't want to ask questions.  A Yes man.

What has Trudeau done that you like?

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I'm not the person you're asking and I'm more of an NDP supporter than a Liberal Party supporter, but he's done a few things I'm quite happy about.

-Marijuana legalization is a smaller thing but I'm happy it's been done.

-I felt his admittance of genocide w/r/t Indigenous treatment and the residential schools was appropriate and a big step forward in bettering relations between First Nations and the rest of the country. I think he's one of the first Prime Ministers to really acknowledge the fault of our government in how we have treated Indigenous peoples and that he's done good work to kickstart reconciliation. (I'm not First Nations, so if someone like Warhippy disagrees with this, I'd like to be talked down to.)

-Something that materially affects me is the Canada Disability Benefit which was recently passed--albeit in fairness it was bipartisan legislation.

-CERB was done well and helped my family through the pandemic.

-His government explicitly made gender expression and identity a protected class if I'm remembering correctly.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Legalization of cannabis

Handling of Covid including Flu Trux Klan

Support of Ukraine, leading the way with the SWIFT sanctions

Negotiating of favorable NAFTA replacement

Working with NDP for dental and pharmacare

Strengthening laws against hate speech

I would even add the Carbon Tax to that list. (and yes, I know I'm in the minority, even among my fellow "lefties")

IMHO, there are a lot of issues facing Canadians. To name some of the biggest:

Inflation

Lack of affordable housing

National Security

Healthcare

But, (also IMHO) there is only one existential crisis facing the country: Climate Change. One leader wants to move forward in that battle and one wants to move backward. Honestly, that is the only reason I need for hoping that Pollievre doesn't become PM.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

It is a VALID thing for Canadians on the fence to ask what is he going to do?  You seem like the kind of folks who don't want to ask questions.  A Yes man.

You do realize that every sentence in the post you are responding to is a question, yea? You can tell when a sentence is a question by the funny little squiggly mark at the end.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

If an individual spends their entirety of time at work stating the manager is wrong.  Everything the manager does is bad.  That everything in their place of employment is broken.

Then they'll draw a crowd.

If that crowd does not start asking how that individual will fix it, or if that individual just continues to whine as opposed to fixing things or showing people how to fix things, they are not in fact the type of person to fix things.

I've worked on every imaginable type of job and people like Pierre are a dime a dozen.  Quick to complain, quicker to point fingers but when it comes time to actually offer solutions or fix the issue they're whining about....crickets.

Perhaps that's true of PP. I guess we'll see, If the time ever comes when it's his turn to actually offer solutions.

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I would even add the Carbon Tax to that list. (and yes, I know I'm in the minority, even among my fellow "lefties")

IMHO, there are a lot of issues facing Canadians. To name some of the biggest:

Inflation

Lack of affordable housing

National Security

Healthcare

But, (also IMHO) there is only one existential crisis facing the country: Climate Change. One leader wants to move forward in that battle and one wants to move backward. Honestly, that is the only reason I need for hoping that Pollievre doesn't become PM.

Inflation: A significant chunk of it was due to corporations jacking up their prices.  Something government had little control over.  Something only left-leaning governments would actually do something about.  PP won't

Affordable housing:  The Feds have limited power here.  This issue has been decades in the works.  JT has already started moving Federal cash to help with the issue.  Limiting international students.  PP has done nothing but bitch.

National Security:  I'm not sure what more can be done here.  The CONs loved China buying up stuff when they were last in power.  I'm not too sure they will get tough with them here.  CONs seem to be on the fence with Ukraine.  

Healthcare:  The long dead horse that gets whipped every election.  Every one.  Ohhh, it's a disaster you say.  Which party pushes privatization and says they won't participate in new Federal programs?   Yup, the CONs.  Their track record here is NOT one of fixing.  It's one of causing chaos, bitching about the chaos, then using it to CUT CUT CUT and PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE.  The only ones who benefit are the rich bastards who can invest in the new private ventures.  Us average Janes and Joes get screwed in the end.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Inflation: A significant chunk of it was due to corporations jacking up their prices.  Something government had little control over.  Something only left-leaning governments would actually do something about.  PP won't

Affordable housing:  The Feds have limited power here.  This issue has been decades in the works.  JT has already started moving Federal cash to help with the issue.  Limiting international students.  PP has done nothing but bitch.

National Security:  I'm not sure what more can be done here.  The CONs loved China buying up stuff when they were last in power.  I'm not too sure they will get tough with them here.  CONs seem to be on the fence with Ukraine.  

Healthcare:  The long dead horse that gets whipped every election.  Every one.  Ohhh, it's a disaster you say.  Which party pushes privatization and says they won't participate in new Federal programs?   Yup, the CONs.  Their track record here is NOT one of fixing.  It's one of causing chaos, bitching about the chaos, then using it to CUT CUT CUT and PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE PRIVATIZE.  The only ones who benefit are the rich bastards who can invest in the new private ventures.  Us average Janes and Joes get screwed in the end.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't blaming anyone for those issues....I was just pointing out that they are issues that people generally consider when casting their votes....

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Some of you keep saying PP 'doesn't have a plan' or things to that effect, but should we really be expecting him to put forth anything worth considering before he attains any actual power? Or before campaigning really begins, at least? Is it typical for a party with little to no power to offer up their 'best' ideas?

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

the amount of bloviating from PP about the housing crisis, and he really did nothing.  You do realize that he could table something.  Anything.  It's not like JT has the almost absolute power that comes with a majority government where he could block any suggestion from the opposition, right?

As of right now, an election isn't happening for a year.  A year, where PP could do something to help Canadians NOW and build his credibility with the voting public.  A YEAR, where he could change minds.  Instead, nothing but bitching.

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

47 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Maybe you should be asking yourself the same question.  Contrast that with what you hate.  Refrain from using words like woke, divide.

10 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

You do realize that every sentence in the post you are responding to is a question, yea? You can tell when a sentence is a question by the funny little squiggly mark at the end.

I'll do a multi-quote just to provide the context and order of comments.

No $%^$ Sherlock.  I do know what a question is.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't blaming anyone for those issues....I was just pointing out that they are issues that people generally consider when casting their votes....

No problems.  I just thought that I'd add that the CONs really don't have much to stand on in each of those important issues.  Hell, the Libs have issues here as well.  As with Healthcare, there has been decades of limited action to help with issues that have been persistent throughout multiple governments.  Rome wasn't built in a day and the housing crisis just didn't appear in fall 2023.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

One of the biggest issues in this thread is how people make statements about Trudeau or Poilivere and immediately people assume it means blanket support or dismissal.

For me, Pierre has over 2 decades in office.  Many of the things he is complaining about are things in fact created during his former parties time in office.  He has a record and history that is clear to see and as opposed to offering solutions; he is pointing fingers and he is farming rage for support.

We've seen what happens across the globe when parties are voted in on anger alone or to simply vote someone out.  

Pierre has offered zero credible solutions and is instead just pissing people off.  The issue with anger as a platform is eventually you end up in charge and can't direct that anger elsewhere anymore and have to have a viable plan behind you to justify and support yourself.

Pierre thus far has absolutely nothing.

Yeah, I'm kind of of the mindset that he'll probably get in in the next election because of the anger and because there's so many who dislike Trudeau. However, if this happens, as soon as people see what he's really like in office, they'll probably jump ship back to the Liberals, even more so if it's not Trudeau again.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of either and I do think Trudeau's the "lesser evil". I just think Polivere's antics are less obvious to the average person to the point where he could win.

7 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

For the sake of argument let’s look back, and yes it is typical for a party not in power to offer up their best ideas. That is what we’re voting on after all…If PP wants my vote he should explain why I would want to vote for his party rather than a litany of ‘reasons’ that I should vote against Trudeau.

The  NDP platform for the 2015 election can be found here:

They held 25 seats in the previous election so I would consider that a lot closer to “no power” than the 119 seats held by the Conservatives after 2021.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2454378/2015-ndp-platform-en.pdf

A brief summary:

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, 4petesake said:

For the sake of argument let’s look back, and yes it is typical for a party not in power to offer up their best ideas. That is what we’re voting on after all…If PP wants my vote he should explain why I would want to vote for his party rather than a litany of ‘reasons’ that I should vote against Trudeau.

The  NDP platform for the 2015 election can be found here:

They held 25 seats in the previous election so I would consider that a lot closer to “no power” than the 119 seats held by the Conservatives after 2021.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2454378/2015-ndp-platform-en.pdf

A brief summary:

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

Your response would seem to indicate that you would expect PP to begin being more forthcoming and substantive abouts his plans when he campaigns for election. Am I understanding your post correctly?

1 hour ago, Maninthebox said:

Your response would seem to indicate that you would expect PP to begin being more forthcoming and substantive abouts his plans when he campaigns for election. Am I understanding your post correctly?

You may not agree but he is campaigning already. I already know what I like and dislike about the Trudeau government so the attacks and negativity campaign don’t move me. I also already know what I dislike about PP so f he wants to move middle of the road voters he’ll need to show them what a Conservative government would look like.

Let’s be real though, I think he’s pretty confident about his chances now and knows the less leg he shows the less opportunity to alienate those voters. So to answer your question would I expect him to be more substantive and forthcoming? No. Should people who claim that Trudeau is dividing Canadians? Absolutely, with the stakes as high as they are they deserve to know how he would make things better when they cast their votes for his party.

• Cheers 2

George Galloway from UK just won a landslide by-election on the back of being against war and ending conflict in both Ukraine and Palestine. 

Canada needs our own George Galloway to pick up where Jack Layton left off. 

Here's a little throwback to the last time that the true "left" still stood for peace, worker rights, and equality. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You may not agree but he is campaigning already. I already know what I like and dislike about the Trudeau government so the attacks and negativity campaign don’t move me. I also already know what I dislike about PP so f he wants to move middle of the road voters he’ll need to show them what a Conservative government would look like.

Let’s be real though, I think he’s pretty confident about his chances now and knows the less leg he shows the less opportunity to alienate those voters. So to answer your question would I expect him to be more substantive and forthcoming? No. Should people who claim that Trudeau is dividing Canadians? Absolutely, with the stakes as high as they are they deserve to know how he would make things better when they cast their votes for his party.

Yea, I pretty much agree. I just don't think he'll come out with anything resembling an actual plan until closer to the election. I can see him being the type to think the Libs/NDP would pilfer his 'good' ideas if he revealed anything substantive.

• Upvote 1