Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I've noticed right wingers pushing the narrative that all politicians are the same and there's no point voting. That seems to be a strategy to increase voter apathy. There needs to be an opposite push getting people to vote.        little pp and co. will bring American style politics to Canada. They already have actually.

Tried and True. Harper ruled for a decade working to get less people voting. 

I have tried to suggest things in political circles like a 1000 dollar Democratic Incentive Levy on federal taxes for every Canadian. When you vote Federally, you get a 500 dollar credit towards it every year until the next election. When you vote provincially or territorially, you get 300 credit towards it. When you vote at the Regional District level you get 150 towards it and in City Council elections you get 50 towards it. 

The collected funds from those not maximizing their 100% credits will simply augment the funding of Elections Canada/Provincial Elections Agencies. 

So far no takers: but this would surely increase voter turnout towards the 90% level from the trending towards 60% level. 

EDIT: just looked 2008's our worst turnout at 58.8% boooooooo

Our highest turnout since 1993 federally was 2015. Huh, that is neat to see. Both were sea change moments swapping from CONS to a more progressive government. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Some wacko just shot up the Edmonton city Hall and what they are calling a politically motivated attack. This should be interesting. I am sure that everyone will be super moderate and not jump to conclusions about this right?

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Some wacko just shot up the Edmonton city Hall and what they are calling a politically motivated attack. This should be interesting. I am sure that everyone will be super moderate and not jump to conclusions about this right?

The shooting was in January but the terrorism charges have now just been laid

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/climate/canada-conspiracy-theorist-arson-wildfires-intl/index.html

"A Canadian man who posted conspiracy theories on social media claiming the government was deliberately starting wildfires has pleaded guilty to starting 14 blazes that forced hundreds of people from their homes."

I wonder how many more of last summer's wildfires were started by those loonies?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I have tried to suggest things in political circles like a 1000 dollar Democratic Incentive Levy on federal taxes for every Canadian. When you vote Federally, you get a 500 dollar credit towards it every year until the next election. When you vote provincially or territorially, you get 300 credit towards it. When you vote at the Regional District level you get 150 towards it and in City Council elections you get 50 towards it. 

I like the idea, but I can also see the idea being criticized as "buying votes" (as in the incumbent government buying your vote), even though the credit would apply regardless of who you voted for (even a blank or spoiled vote).  I can also see the Tories taking the idea and saying, "we can do so much better with all that money...by giving it to our oligarch and 0.01% buddies"

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/climate/canada-conspiracy-theorist-arson-wildfires-intl/index.html

"A Canadian man who posted conspiracy theories on social media claiming the government was deliberately starting wildfires has pleaded guilty to starting 14 blazes that forced hundreds of people from their homes."

I wonder how many more of last summer's wildfires were started by those loonies?

Good thing for him that he is not living in the 15th century. He would be burned at the stake for his misdeeds. Hopefully a long prison sentence awaits him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Good thing for him that he is not living in the 15th century. He would be burned at the stake for his misdeeds. Hopefully a long prison sentence awaits him.

I'd settle for community service fighting forest fires.

14 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I've noticed right wingers pushing the narrative that all politicians are the same and there's no point voting. That seems to be a strategy to increase voter apathy. There needs to be an opposite push getting people to vote.        little pp and co. will bring American style politics to Canada. They already have actually.

This is an interesting post as this is sort of overlaps with how I feel. What's the argument against politicians being sort of the same?

NDP has completely sold out their integrity/vision in order to keep the current gov't in power, so from that perspective its logically hard to see. They voluntarily represent the status-quo at a time when people are desperate for an alternative. Cons are an alternative (which is why they are projected to have a big win), but realistically they will probably govern as Progressive Cons aswell.

This whole progressive establishment talking point of 'PP bringing American politics to Canada' is hilarious when the Libs literally touted Hilary as an esteemed speaker at their last convention, nvm the left being desperate to compare PP to Trump at any point. This whole talking point is a hypocritic, disingenuous, laughable, phony, attempt to gain even an inch of power.

Trying to represent our current political situation as identicial to America, and win favour based off peoples opinion of American politics, is in some sense literally trying to inject American politics into our political landscape, yet they have absolutely no problem doing it on one hand while touting it as issue on the other. (And FYI if your reading this & think it is comparable, then the entire idea of 'PP solely injecting American politics into Canada' is thereby false)

No progressives necessarily have an issue with 'American politics in Canada' so long as it suit them, this is merely a talking point. The only thing that matters to the current politicians is power - which makes them inherently the same.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This whole progressive establishment talking point of 'PP bringing American politics to Canada' is hilarious when the Libs literally touted Hilary as an esteemed speaker at their last convention, nvm the left being desperate to compare PP to Trump at any point. This whole talking point is a hypocritic, disingenuous, laughable, phony, attempt to gain even an inch of power.

Trying to represent our current political situation as identicial to America, and win favour based off peoples opinion of American politics, is in some sense literally trying to inject American politics into our political landscape, yet they have absolutely no problem doing it on one hand while touting it as issue on the other. (And FYI if your reading this & think it is comparable, then the entire idea of 'PP solely injecting American politics into Canada' is thereby false)

No progressives necessarily have an issue with 'American politics in Canada' so long as it suit them, this is merely a talking point. The only thing that matters to the current politicians is power - which makes them inherently the same.

you're 100% on point, many Canadian progressives do align with US progressives. I'm not sure you'd find any that deny that? lots of love for AOC on this site, eg.

But PP is bringing in US right ideas to his platform, its not actually debatable that he's using their talking points, sometimes verbatim. "parents rights" e.g., is right from the US evangelical playbook. The anti-vaccination stuff, the trucker soft spot, the way he describes our border issues, its all just borrowed from the US.

The fact is tho, we're already more progressive than the US, the left down there would love to have what we do in terms of social programs.

Not sure what benefit US right ideas bring?

Edited by Bob Long
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is an interesting post as this is sort of overlaps with how I feel. What's the argument against politicians being sort of the same?

NDP has completely sold out their integrity/vision in order to keep the current gov't in power, so from that perspective its logically hard to see. They voluntarily represent the status-quo at a time when people are desperate for an alternative. Cons are an alternative (which is why they are projected to have a big win), but realistically they will probably govern as Progressive Cons aswell.

If they are all the same, then what are you all complaining about. Lil pp would have done exactly the same thing as true dough, right? If you don't believe that, then "they're all the same" is a false narrative.

Are you aware that America has a legal right to bring their troops into Canada if they feel that their national security is at risk. That means that someone like trump could concoct a "security risk" and use that loophole to have troops enter Canada without our consent.

That loophole was hidden in a conservative bill to divert flood water into Canada. That's what I mean by American style. Not to mention all the decisiveness little pp and co. created then cried about. Are you tired of divisiveness in Canada vote in the people who caused it. People actually buy into that crap.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If they are all the same, then what are you all complaining about. Lil pp would have done exactly the same thing as true dough, right? If you don't believe that, then "they're all the same" is a false narrative.

Are you aware that America has a legal right to bring their troops into Canada if they feel that their national security is at risk. That means that someone like trump could concoct a "security risk" and use that loophole to have troops enter Canada without our consent.

That loophole was hidden in a conservative bill to divert flood water into Canada. That's what I mean by American style. Not to mention all the decisiveness little pp and co. created then cried about. Are you tired of divisiveness in Canada vote in the people who caused it. People actually buy into that crap.

what I find funny and interesting is Canadian conservatives worried about US left influence. We are already what Hillary and AOC wish they could be. Women have the right to choose their own care here, we have universal-ish health care, solid educational systems, OK seniors benefits, etc etc.

What exactly would the US left be influencing us to do? Hell, Bernie Sanders does bus trips to Canada to show the US how to do things.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what I find funny and interesting is Canadian conservatives worried about US left influence. We are already what Hillary and AOC wish they could be. Women have the right to choose their own care here, we have universal-ish health care, solid educational systems, OK seniors benefits, etc etc.

What exactly would the US left be influencing us to do? Hell, Bernie Sanders does bus trips to Canada to show the US how to do things.

Will this continue under the conservatives though?   Re-criminalization  seems to be a trend in right wing politics.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Meanwhile we had right wingers in the US suggesting invading Canada during the Klown Kar Konvoy.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Will this continue under the conservatives though?   Re-criminalization  seems to be a trend in right wing politics.

its a good question. I'd say the PP/CPC is very much a threat to Canadian women. 

PP claims to be OK with choice, but he lets his backbenchers introduce laws that would chip away at that, similar to what his counterparts in the US have accomplished.

I have no doubt that evangelical Canadians in particular covet what they see going on in the US.

• Cheers 2

Renewal talks start in 2026.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/tai-brookings-usmca-comments-1.7135517

U.S. trade czar: Don't get 'too comfortable' North American trade pact will stay as is

Katherine Tai refers to challenges ahead, including dairy, when pact comes up for renewal