Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

10 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-online-harms-act-probe/

Comparing people to vermin or excrement could prompt hate-speech probe under online harms bill, officials say

Heffy better be careful 😆

Saying people don't belong in a men's league might also be considered hate speech.  The guy basically has to change his whole vocabulary 😆

22 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-online-harms-act-probe/

Comparing people to vermin or excrement could prompt hate-speech probe under online harms bill, officials say

Heffy better be careful 😆

I think Heffy's actually in the clear here because he only attacks individual people and not protected groups. 😉

Portraying a group of people as violent online – or comparing them to vermin, excrement or animals – could trigger a probe under the Canadian Human Rights Act, according to new provisions in the online harms bill, the Justice Department says.

The background briefing by the Department of Justice on Wednesday said statements that portray a group as dangerous or violent by nature; portray a group as preying upon children, the aged or the vulnerable; or comments that dehumanize a group through comparisons with and associations with animals, vermin or excrement have been considered “hate speech” under the Human Rights Act.

With that said, I wonder if some of his comments (esp in the GDTs) would be contrary to the 'advocacy of violence' stuff which seems to be a feature of the new bill.

15 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Saying people don't belong in a men's league might also be considered hate speech.  The guy basically has to change his whole vocabulary 😆

pretty sure disliking the Leafs is part of the notwithstanding clause. 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, 112 said:

I think Heffy's actually in the clear here because he only attacks individual people and not protected groups. 😉

With that said, I wonder if some of his comments (esp in the GDTs) would be contrary to the 'advocacy of violence' stuff which seems to be a feature of the new bill.

He uses that verbiage all the time to groups of people particularly conservatives and Pierre supporters! 

I thought it was amusing af. Dont worry Heff I won’t report ya to the Feds

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Trans youth policies make majority of Canadians 'uncomfortable': survey

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trans-youth-policies-make-majority-of-canadians-uncomfortable-survey-1.6797458

And yet gender affirming care is supported by a majority of medical professionals. As far as parents not knowing about their children using different names or pronouns at school, if they don't know already, they're most likely part of the problem. School staff and counsellors are professionals bound by confidentially. I trust them to make the right choice when it comes to notifying parents or not. 

This was the most poignant part of the article for me, and a reason I could never vote for Pierre.

In a press conference in late February, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said "female spaces should be exclusively for females, not for biological males," a comment that drew criticism from transgender former Conservative candidate Hannah Hodson, who said it was "very unfortunate to see."

"What he has said today just further extends the idea that trans people are predators," she said in an interview with CTV News Channel's Power Play host Vassy Kapelos

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

And yet gender affirming care is supported by a majority of medical professionals. As far as parents not knowing about their children using different names or pronouns at school, if they don't know already, they're most likely part of the problem. School staff and counsellors are professionals bound by confidentially. I trust them to make the right choice when it comes to notifying parents or not. 

This was the most poignant part of the article for me, and a reason I could never vote for Pierre.

In a press conference in late February, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said "female spaces should be exclusively for females, not for biological males," a comment that drew criticism from transgender former Conservative candidate Hannah Hodson, who said it was "very unfortunate to see."

"What he has said today just further extends the idea that trans people are predators," she said in an interview with CTV News Channel's Power Play host Vassy Kapelos

What about an actual predator that sees the opportunity to just claim that he identifies as a woman so he can go into a woman's change room?

8 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What about an actual predator that sees the opportunity to just claim that he identifies as a woman so he can go into a woman's change room?

What about "predator" makes you think a magical door with a sign on it is going to stop them?

It literally happens everywhere regardless of time, place or location.

Predators don't care, that's why they're predators.

This endless fear mongering about trans individuals potentially being predators by using the "wrong" bathroom is such a ridiculous road to go down when the truth is that pretty much universally predators are anyone, anywhere and any time.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

8 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What about an actual predator that sees the opportunity to just claim that he identifies as a church pastor so he can go into a Sunday School classroom?

Kids are far more vulnerable to people in or known to their family.  Like way way way more vulnerable.  Down the list, is Church members and employees.  Further down is right-wing politicians.  LGBTQ is below them all.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What about "predator" makes you think a magical door with a sign on it is going to stop them?

It literally happens everywhere regardless of time, place or location.

Predators don't care, that's why they're predators.

This endless fear mongering about trans individuals potentially being predators by using the "wrong" bathroom is such a ridiculous road to go down when the truth is that pretty much universally predators are anyone, anywhere and any time.

If predators are given the green light to go into any room they want, it will certainly become more of an issue.  

7 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

What about an actual predator that sees the opportunity to just claim that he identifies as a church pastor so he can go into a Sunday School classroom?

Kids are far more vulnerable to people in or known to their family.  Like way way way more vulnerable.  Down the list, is Church members and employees.  Further down is right-wing politicians.  LGBTQ is below them all.

If you know any ways we can stop any of this please feel free to share.  I am on board with stopping any predator, obviously.

Also, I don't think kids get undressed in a Sunday school classroom? 

And again, I'm talking about predators claiming to be trans, not trans people in general doing this.

Edited by Wiggums

18 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What does this have to do with trans people?

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I don't know?  Nothing?

I'm talking about a predator claiming to be trans and entering female locker rooms

You're using a topic of fear to argue for discriminatory policies against a demographic that has nothing to do with said fear.

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

This is one of the more common transfobic tropes we see trotted out far too often. Similar to the "what's stopping a man from claiming to be a woman to dominate women's sports?" trope. I mean really? Do we really think someone would elect to do gender reassignment surgery to dominate women in sports? 

Others have already pointed out the glaring holes in your hypothetical argument, so I'll leave it at that. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

This is one of the more common transfobic tropes we see trotted out far too often. Similar to the "what's stopping a man from claiming to be a woman to dominate women's sports?" trope. I mean really? Do we really think someone would elect to do gender reassignment surgery to dominate women in sports? 

Others have already pointed out the glaring holes in your hypothetical argument, so I'll leave it at that. 

You're making it about transphobia when it has nothing to do with that.  That's on you.

And you don't need to get surgery to be allowed to compete against the opposite sex, you just have to simply claim you are one or the other 

Edited by Wiggums

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

You're making it about transphobia when it has nothing to do with that.  That's on you.

And you don't need to get surgery to be allowed to compete against women, you just have to simply claim that you are one.  

Has this happened?

31 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Here we go again.

Claims to be concerned about the high suicide rates of trans youth.

Proceeds to call them predators and opposes any type of initiative that can actually help them out.  You really do have no shame whatsoever.

• Cheers 4

Trans kid kills himself because he was forced to use girls' bathroom and got bullied to death.

@Wiggums: "Keep them predators away from the young girls!"

Kids are dying because people like you are in charge of government across Canada.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Here we go again.

Claims to be concerned about the high suicide rates of trans youth.

Proceeds to call them predators and opposes any type of initiative that can actually help them out.  You really do have no shame whatsoever.

What the hell are you people talking about?

I'm talking about predators(not LGBTQ) like actual convicted or non convicted predators going into womens washrooms and being allowed there as long as they claim they are a woman...this literally has nothing to do with LGBTQ people being predators at all

Like seriously, does anybody here know anything about reading and/or understanding?

• Cheers 1