Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Wiggums said:

People protesting something like parental rights obviously means they have a strong dislike for the idea.  So your answer is yes? 

Which idea?

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Well religious people aren't protesting out of ignorance, they're protesting out of faith, so they're either bigoted or they're not.  Which is it?

Protesting out of faith in a magical sky daddy from a book that can be skewed and viewed from 15 different angles to justify intolerance over love thus forcing the majority to bend to their delusions of what they percieve to be right or wrong based on their beliefs or understanding of a book of fairy tales.

But sure....that's not ignorance

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

You'd rule out ignorance if it is a religious protest, because despite how knowledgeable or understanding of the subject they may be, they are strong within their religious beliefs and will protest regardless.

48 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

So they're bigoted?

5 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

People protesting something like parental rights obviously means they have a strong dislike for the idea.  So your answer is yes? 

Yes.

The answer is yes.

If people are protesting equality because of their faith they are fucking bigots.

Why is that hard to understand?

• Like 2

There are kids whose best and safest times is when they are at school.  Their home life sucks. 

There are kids who cannot be themselves at home.  There are plenty of people who get disowned by their family when they try to be themselves.

Parents rights is just a dog whistle for these terrible parents to enact even more terrible things on these vulnerable children. 

F your Parents Rights.  How about children's rights.

Too many parents don't understand that their time in control of that person is but a fraction.  At some point, they will go out into the world and will be their own master.  Giving them some F'd up misspelled "cool" name is but one example that far to many parents are ignorant.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Warhippy said:

Yes.

The answer is yes.

If people are protesting equality because of their faith they are fucking bigots.

Why is that hard to understand?

Hey, someone finally answered.  That's a can of worms you just opened my friend

Carry on.  

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

Carry on.  

So are we bigotted in your mind? A lot of us hate Trump and Poilievre after all and protest against them.

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Carry on.  

NO it isn't.

That's my opinion and the opinion of the masses

If your faith causes you to be an intolerant asshole who hates on others based on race, creed, colour, orientation or beliefs you're a fuckign bigot.

So.  Cla...errr Wiggums.  Are you a bigot yes or no?

Define Parental rights for me.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

NO it isn't.

That's my opinion and the opinion of the masses

If your faith causes you to be an intolerant asshole who hates on others based on race, creed, colour, orientation or beliefs you're a fuckign bigot.

So.  Cla...errr Wiggums.  Are you a bigot yes or no?

Define Parental rights for me.

It's funny him looking for some gotcha where either it doesn't exist or you might as well just call everyone on the planet a bigot for something.

Can of worms indeed although probably not in the way he's thinking.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's funny him looking for some gotcha where either it doesn't exist or you might as well just call everyone on the planet a bigot for something.

Can of worms indeed although probably not in the way he's thinking.

Imagine thinking that an individual saying that a minority group that hates individuals because of a fairy tale book because those individuals identify a certain way, look a certain way, believe a certain thing, love differently look differently come from somewhere else; are bigots and ignorant is a gotcha moment and a bad thing.

If that isn't telling about the character of someone I don't know what is.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Imagine thinking that an individual saying that a minority group that hates individuals because of a fairy tale book because those individuals identify a certain way, look a certain way, believe a certain thing, love differently look differently come from somewhere else; are bigots and ignorant is a gotcha moment and a bad thing.

It's kind of like the whole "woke" thing, because apparently taking an actual COMPLIMENT and saying it's a bad thing is supposed to be some gotcha moment. lol

If I was ever called woke I'd be like "thanks! Glad you don't think I conform to the masses and actually think for myself!"

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's kind of like the whole "woke" thing, because apparently taking an actual COMPLIMENT and saying it's a bad thing is supposed to be some gotcha moment. lol

If I was ever called woke I'd be like "thanks! Glad you don't think I conform to the masses and actually think for myself!"

Lol I always chuckle about the woke thing.  Because being woke literally means you simply acknowledge and respect another persons existence without interfering in their lives.  Which is entirely a traditional conservative value.

Being woke literally means IDGAF what you do because it doesn't affect me.

Basic respect in another humans existence is supposed to be a slight, slant or derogatory statement and that is amusing to me.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you read from the start..

The can of worms is we as a country are letting in mass amounts of people of all different backgrounds and religions, many of these people and religions are against, for example,  things being taught in schools when be it comes to gender etc.. and they have or will eventually show up to these types of protests. 

So essentially what you have said is we are letting in a large number of bigots every year...yes on top of the bigots who already reside here, whether they are Christian or whatever else.

This is why there was a hesitantcy for anyone else to answer the question.  

Also, would claiming someone's religion is a fairytale fall under Trudeau's new hate speech laws?  Someone could look that up for me if they want

• Cheers 2

So they're bigoted?

yes, many are. You also don't base laws for everyone based on someone's faith. I can decide to be a Jedi or a Satanist this afternoon, and it carries as much legal weight as claiming to be a christian. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yes, many are. You also don't base laws for everyone based on someone's faith. I can decide to be a Jedi or a Satanist this afternoon, and it carries as much legal weight as claiming to be a christian. 

While being way cooler....

You get to sacrifice goats 'n stuff....😈

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

44 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

The can of worms is we as a country are letting in mass amounts of people of all different backgrounds and religions, many of these people and religions are against, for example,  things being taught in schools when be it comes to gender etc.. and they have or will eventually show up to these types of protests. 

So essentially what you have said is we are letting in a large number of bigots every year...yes on top of the bigots who already reside here, whether they are Christian or whatever else.

Also, would claiming someone's religion is a fairytale fall under Trudeau's new hate speech laws?  Someone could look that up for me if they want

If a religious person actually thinks calling a religion a fairytale hate speech, that's on the religious person more than anything. If they were positive about their own religious values, they'd easily be able to shrug such a thing off. Being offended is a form of fear after all.

Also, the reason why most people were "hesitant" was more likely because calling them bigots doesn't really solve much of anything, nor is it going to change anyone's opinion on either side. It's pointless. It doesn't move the debate anywhere, so it was more people going "wtf are you even talking about?" lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If a religious person actually thinks calling a religion a fairytale hate speech, that's on the religious person more than anything. If they were positive about their own religious values, they'd easily be able to shrug such a thing off. Being offended is a form of fear after all.

Also, the reason why most people were "hesitant" was more likely because calling them bigots doesn't really solve much of anything, nor is it going to change anyone's opinion on either side. It's pointless. It doesn't move the debate anywhere, so it was more people going "wtf are you even talking about?" lol

its part of the christian right persecution complex going on now. More borrowed US stuff. They try to change the laws to reflect their faith and then whine when most people don't like it. 

Not wanting to follow christian doctrine isn't hate speech. Hate speech would be e.g., suggesting some kind of holy war against them. An inquisition even. 

45 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Everyone's religion is a fairy tale, the only one you and I disagree upon happens to be the one religion you believe in. 
Where this might become hate speech is if I attach some significant reason to hate the people who believe in fairy tales. Simply pointing it out wouldn't qualify.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

"wtf are you even talking about?: seems to be the question of the day.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Sure.  Try me for it

I'll take the stand and I'll call whatever god they believe in to defend themselves from my statement

Who do you think folds first?

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

its part of the christian right persecution complex going on now. More borrowed US stuff. They try to change the laws to reflect their faith and then whine when most people don't like it. 

Not wanting to follow christian doctrine isn't hate speech. Hate speech would be e.g., suggesting some kind of holy war against them. An inquisition even. 

Yeah, government should never have to do with religion, especially in Canada where you have Christianity, Islam, Hindu, Sikh, etc. To start enacting laws based on one of those is a recipe for inequality.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

Sure.  Try me for it

I'll take the stand and I'll call whatever god they believe in to defend themselves from my statement

Who do you think folds first?

We have so much more in common than we have not in common, Warhippy. ; )

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Everyone's religion is a fairy tale, the only one you and I disagree upon happens to be the one religion you believe in. 
Where this might become hate speech is if I attach some significant reason to hate the people who believe in fairy tales. Simply pointing it out wouldn't qualify.

religion doesn't have to be complete, consistent, fair, objective, challengeable, or answerable to anyone in particular. Why would anyone want to base any law on that?

• Like 1