Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Perhaps I don't follow what you mean by respect?

I have complete disrespect for religious folks. They are either charlatans or weak willed chattel believing the charlatans. But I don't molest/beat/deny them. Religious people sit beside me peacefully on the bus: if that is what you mean then i respect them. But if you mean i should shush up about it, then no I don't respect them. if you praise god in my presence, you are going to hear my disrespectful counterpoint. 

example: a certain religion demands 10% tithe and time spent on the street with a partner and a little metal stand of leaflets promoting the cult to the masses: If i am walking by and they are trying to talk someone into joining the cult, i let the person know their cult has a trillion dollar hedge fund and STILL will excommunicate the members who don't tithe. That is facts, is it disrespectful of me to interfere in the recruiting drive?

double edit: I feel I have wandered off topic, my apologies. Peace and Prosperity to all. I will leave this alone now. 

If you don’t want to respect 65% of the population that is your choice.  But I can pretty much guarantee you that people who are religious, for the most part, are some of the most strong willed and caring people on this earth.  It’s too bad that you have not experienced this in your life, you’ve definitely missed out on some great people and some great potential relationships.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Just to clear this up first. Trump isn't anti-vaccine. He's actually so pro-vaccine that he takes credit for how wonderful it was (of course he does);

Reveal hidden contents

And to be fair to him, operation warp speed did happen under his administration. You can say anti-vax is right-wing for sure (though some clear lefties overlap), but to the original point; thats clearly not derived from Trump. Trump was clearly not instructing the convoy - far from it. 

no he isn't, and I didn't say he personally was. But he plays to the anti-vaccine sentiment and crowd. Which is really weird given what you just have shown. 

I guess we're into a chicken & egg thing. Are some ideas distinctly American or Canadian & funneled, or do people independently agree with some ideas regardless of their location? I'd say its more the latter, on both sides of the aisle.

Both sides in both countries have shared ideas in their 'platform'. You just said yourself leftists in both countries agree on some ideas, and the point I was responding too was that this was a distinctly right phenomena. So, I guess you've made my point. Politicians on either side just try to weaponize this talking point for power when they deem it applicable, and ignore it while promoting Americanism when applicable. It really means nothing other than being a tool of vague partisan politics. 

nope its very clear. The US Evangelical movement has developed a set of talking points before Poilievre, and he's now using them. Its very easy to show, if there's a particular thing let me know and I'll show you the history on it, like the parental rights movement. 

Would they? I guess. Our healthcare isn't exactly at its best point the last while. But I suppose, I'll grant you the point. As an aside I find this comparison difficult given the difference in population + immigration (including illegal) between the two. Not say anyone's wrong its just more the fundamental difference in the comparison. America is the center of the world with an open southern border. They have way more people. We don't deal with that level of volume as it pertains to our social systems. Its just totally different is all I'm saying.

100% the US left would love to have what we do. We have a version of things they've been fighting decades for. 

So really, what influence would the US left have on us?

As for what 'US right' ideas benefit us. The constitution seems much stronger than the Charter. Which is extremely important in my opinion. Not that I think paper is particularly strong in general but free will is mankinds greatest achievement & I'm in favour of strengthening/enshrining it as much as possible/neccesary.

thats interesting. IMO the US constitution is highly problematic, there's endless debate over things like "what the founders wanted" eg. Who cares? 

Our charter actually protects everyone, whereas in the US they still can't pass an ERA.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I have no respect for religions. I think the overwhelming evidence suggests that most if not all bigotry is rooted in religion. Us vs Them: how do we know who "them" is? They dont pray to the same god we do. 

I would toss it all out. No use for God in governance. Tax the cults, I say. Free to believe, not free to push it on others. 

edit: I forgot to comment on the hats: i have no issue with anyones hat. 

Amen! 

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

I agree on the evidence and I'm not religious myself by any means; however, I think, even if you don't respect the religion itself, at least respecting people's decisions to follow a religion should still be there.

Whether we like it or not, religions are going to be a part of society for a long time. We can't control that. We can, however, control how we react to that.

Nah. Religion is a belief and I can shit all over a belief all I want. Frankly should be able to discriminate about beliefs because it isn't like someone doesn't have a choice. My only concern is they indoctrinate them when they're young so maybe it could get a pass but I have no time for 90% of organized religion. I respect aspects of several religions but overall they can fuck right off. 

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, The Lock said:

I agree on the evidence and I'm not religious myself by any means; however, I think, even if you don't respect the religion itself, at least respecting people's decisions to follow a religion should still be there.

Whether we like it or not, religions are going to be a part of society for a long time. We can't control that. We can, however, control how we react to that.

we have no choice but to respect someones right to hold a belief, thats the law whether anyone likes it or not. What pisses me off is the right wing Christian politicians then trying to use that to force their beliefs on all of us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

100% the US left would love to have what we do. We have a version of things they've been fighting decades for. 

Ohhh? Things like not being able to have a family doctor or even be able to go to a clinic when you are sick? Yea I'm sure Americans are lining up for the ability to do that...

27 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ohhh? Things like not being able to have a family doctor or even be able to go to a clinic when you are sick? Yea I'm sure Americans are lining up for the ability to do that...

It ain’t perfect but…

In a new study, Yale researchers provide much-needed data on Americans who use insulin, whether and how they’re insured, and who is most at risk of extreme financial burden. According to their findings, 14% of people who use insulin in the United States face what are described as a “catastrophic” levels of spending on insulin, meaning they spent at least 40% of their postsubsistence income — what is available after paying for food and housing — on insulin.

https://news.yale.edu/2022/07/05/insulin-extreme-financial-burden-over-14-americans-who-use-it

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Americans don't go to the doctor a lot of times because it costs too much money unless you have a great company plan.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Americans don't go to the doctor a lot of times because it costs too much money unless you have a great company plan.

Yea dude that sucks. You know what else also sucks? Paying a shit ton of taxes and still not having access to a doctor or where I live even the ability to go to a clinic.

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Yea dude that sucks. You know what else also sucks? Paying a shit ton of taxes and still not having access to a doctor or where I live even the ability to go to a clinic.

Then move to where there is a clinic it available doctor where it will still be free

Guess what though.  If you can't afford medical care in the US.  It doesn't matter where you move.  It's still going to be unaffordable 

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I suggest that Canadians have no idea what they spend on health care whether they are able to access it or not. Determine that number and then compare it to the Americans. I suspect most think healthcare is free.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You're hilarious. Most Americans want universal care.

But what is it you think the US left would influence us to adopt up here.

Edited by Bob Long

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suggest that Canadians have no idea what they spend on health care whether they are able to access it or not. Determine that number and then compare it to the Americans. I suspect most think healthcare is free.

You’re right in that I couldn’t tell what the true cost is but I think it’s safe to say it’s not this…

IMG_1186.jpeg

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Nothing is free. That said, 'free' healthcare is a very good thing to have.  I see so many horror stories out of the states where patients have to contend with huge, and often unexpected, bills.

And yes, I am aware of our country's doctor shortage and closure of clinics.    Let's see what will be done to correct things.  Some steps to attract more doctors have already been taken.   One thing about our government, and most others, is that foresight is rare and they deal with problems only after they occur.

Isn't there a monthly cost for healthcare in BC? It was that way when I left twenty-ish years ago. I never bothered signing up for anything here in Alberta and haven't been to a doctor in over thirty years, so forgive my ignorance.

10 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Isn't there a monthly cost for healthcare in BC? It was that way when I left twenty-ish years ago. I never bothered signing up for anything here in Alberta and haven't been to a doctor in over thirty years, so forgive my ignorance.

Monthly Rates (Premiums)

Last updated on March 3, 2020

Medical Services Plan (MSP) premiums were eliminated as of January 1, 2020. Learn below about paying outstanding premiums and applying for retroactive premium assistance.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/premiums

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

It was eliminated Jan 1, 2020 and is now paid by the employer like other provinces. I believe they are a taxable benefit however.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Nothing is free. That said, 'free' healthcare is a very good thing to have.  I see so many horror stories out of the states where patients have to contend with huge, and often unexpected, bills.

And yes, I am aware of our country's doctor shortage and closure of clinics.    Let's see what will be done to correct things.  Some steps to attract more doctors have already been taken.   One thing about our government, and most others, is that foresight is rare and they deal with problems only after they occur.

This is why I ask the question. How much does healthcare cost the average Canadian family? Have you seen such numbers? I agree with universal healthcare but I do want a system that drives value and innovative enough to improve outcomes. My son is an operating nurse and is very negative about the management in the hospital he works in. It is so bad that the working environment has soured most workers. 

we had friends in Washington state that as a family of four pay about + $900 a month for healthcare coverage. I don’t know the specifics of the coverage but they probably earn about $100,000 per year. Last I was in emergency there was a poster on the wall with care rates for those without Health Cards. Sorry about lack of details but at the time my thought was these charges were similar to Idaho rates, We are close to the border and many American mothers were coming up to have their babies because it was cheaper.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

This is why I ask the question. How much does healthcare cost the average Canadian family? Have you seen such numbers? I agree with universal healthcare but I do want a system that drives value and innovative enough to improve outcomes. My son is an operating nurse and is very negative about the management in the hospital he works in. It is so bad that the working environment has soured most workers. 

we had friends in Washington state that as a family of four pay about + $900 a month for healthcare coverage. I don’t know the specifics of the coverage but they probably earn about $100,000 per year. Last I was in emergency there was a poster on the wall with care rates for those without Health Cards. Sorry about lack of details but at the time my thought was these charges were similar to Idaho rates, We are close to the border and many American mothers were coming up to have their babies because it was cheaper.

What our government spends is what we spend.  This is from 2022.  I suspect medical costs have gone up since then (just like everything else).

The CIHI projects B.C. will spend $8,800 per person on health care this year, higher than the national figure of $8,563 per Canadian.

Nationally, total health care spending is expected to reach $331 billion in 2022, representing 12.2 per cent of GDP following a high of nearly 14 per cent of GDP in 2020.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bc-health-care-spending-8800-per-person-2022-cihi-data

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There is also co-pays and deductibles that the family would have to pay.  Depending on their plan, they can't just go to any clinic and get care.

Rep. Katie Porter had appendicitis.  She had someone drive to to the hospital to avoid the couple grand an ambulance ride would cost.  They had to go to the other hospital, not the one near where they were due to that one not being in their network.  

And she still got a bill because the doctor wasn't in their network.

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Makes no sense to go otherwise, they'd handing the next election over the opposition & blacklisting themselves as a legitimate option for atleast 10 years, possibly a generation. Imo

God damn Democracy.

You say this as if the Soviet Union never existed. Lol. This was Stalin's whole way of staying in power.

This is a great anti-Gov't case. How TF do you have a gov't supervisor allowing this to happen???

In theory we are all to blame for this sexual assault given we theoretically control the govt. Great job everyone. 

Seriously tho, why is this person voluntarily not in view of the assignment for over 2 hours???

Communist leaders typically come to power by capitalizing on the poverty issues and then promising the poor that they will thrive under them .. once in power they rule by keeping absolutely everyone living in fear and under control ( Putin and Kim are examples ) Stalin came to power by telling the poor that he'd spread the wealth around and everyone would have food ..... He did NOT stay in power once he had it that way ..... He stayed in power by installing fear of anyone speaking out 

Alt right use similiar tactics to get in power but once they do ... They pit people against each other and one group lives in freedom and the other in total fear ( well know examples in the 1940's)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

What our government spends is what we spend.  This is from 2022.  I suspect medical costs have gone up since then (just like everything else).

The CIHI projects B.C. will spend $8,800 per person on health care this year, higher than the national figure of $8,563 per Canadian.

Nationally, total health care spending is expected to reach $331 billion in 2022, representing 12.2 per cent of GDP following a high of nearly 14 per cent of GDP in 2020.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bc-health-care-spending-8800-per-person-2022-cihi-data

Jesus wept! My health care amounts to a four year old bottle of Tylenol...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Yup. Our universal healthcare system is far superior to what those down south suffer with. The wealthy few have access to excellent care but the vast majority of folk suffer. We are blessed to have our healthcare system.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1