Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

It's amazing that anyone would try to argue that the average person is better off in the US when it comes to healthcare, or any other lefty issue.

The extremist (right wing) spin in the media is very convincing and the weak minded are easily duped by it. Lots of weak minded morans in Alberta. 

• ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I wasn't but I'm not at all surprised. Canada has no army compared to the US, with or without "legal right" they could bring troops into Canada & make this USA North tomorrow. So that isn't particularly alarming. What's written on paper is just written on paper, at the end of the day.

Someone with more experience on how NATO is structured can correct me if I've got this wrong, but as I understand it, the US invading Canada would also be a declaration of war against France, the UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, Turkey, Poland, all of Scandanavia....etc etc....

I mean Trump turned them into a bit of a pariah state already, but invading Canada would make them the enemy of most of the first world countries on the planet.....

So I guess the point is yes, they could.....but would they? TBH, it's not something that makes me lose a second of sleep.

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Jesus wept! My health care amounts to a four year old bottle of Tylenol...

Not quite. Danielle Smith’s bottles of Turkish Tylenol cost $17,021.28 each so you could get a little over a half bottle in Alberta…

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

The rise of Romana Didulo, self described 'Queen of Canada', and what she's up to now

https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/the-rise-of-romana-didulo-self-described-queen-of-canada-and-what-she-s-up-to-now-1.6799946

Didulo is a leading figure in the QAnon conspiracy movement, and has promoted the murder of police, politicians and those who oppose her.

"I have also said that there is no more politics and no more politicians," Didulo decreed in one of her videos. "I said, you can blow up all of the legislature buildings in Canada."

Didulo has also told Canadians to stop paying their taxes and bills, while promoting secret cure-all technology and threatening those who administer COVID-19 vaccines.

10 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The rise of Romana Didulo, self described 'Queen of Canada', and what she's up to now

https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/the-rise-of-romana-didulo-self-described-queen-of-canada-and-what-she-s-up-to-now-1.6799946

Didulo is a leading figure in the QAnon conspiracy movement, and has promoted the murder of police, politicians and those who oppose her.

"I have also said that there is no more politics and no more politicians," Didulo decreed in one of her videos. "I said, you can blow up all of the legislature buildings in Canada."

Didulo has also told Canadians to stop paying their taxes and bills, while promoting secret cure-all technology and threatening those who administer COVID-19 vaccines.

It's insane that so many thousands follow this person openly and thousands more do so silently.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Alcohol excise tax capped at 2 per cent for two more years, Freeland announces

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/alcohol-excise-tax-capped-at-2-per-cent-for-two-more-years-freeland-announces-8422220

TORONTO — Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says the federal government will cap the annual alcohol excise tax increase on beer, spirits and wine at two per cent for an additional two years.

The alcohol excise tax had been set to rise on April 1 by 4.7 per cent, tied to inflation, but Freeland announced today that the increase is being capped at the lower rate.

She also announced some tax relief for local craft breweries by cutting the excise duty rate on the first 15,000 hectolitres of beer in half for two years.

She says Canada's small craft brewers are among the finest in the world and are an important contributor to the economy.

Restaurants Canada is applauding the move, saying the financial relief will give operators a chance to catch their breath as they try to cope with inflation and bounce back from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation says it is good to see some relief, but the government shouldn't be raising alcohol taxes at all.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That is one weird human...

18 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not quite. Danielle Smith’s bottles of Turkish Tylenol cost $17,021.28 each so you could get a little over a half bottle in Alberta…

Gotta get me some Turkenol!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Then move to where there is a clinic it available doctor where it will still be free

Guess what though.  If you can't afford medical care in the US.  It doesn't matter where you move.  It's still going to be unaffordable 

Uhhhh, I live in the capital city of British Columbia. And you can't even go to a walk in clinic here. It's literally impossible now without getting on the phone before it opens and calling non stop in hopes you get through and the clinic isn't already booked up for the day. That's a problem 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Uhhhh, I live in the capital city of British Columbia. And you can't even go to a walk in clinic here. It's literally impossible now without getting on the phone before it opens and calling non stop in hopes you get through and the clinic isn't already booked up for the day. That's a problem 

Then move.

It's not that hard to understand.  If you live where it is unaffordable or where you can not access services you move to where the situation is better.  

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Old enough that I haven't had a family doctor since I was a child. And no I have not moved recently 

I am trying to figure out whet you mean. 

if you are over 35 it would have been easy to get a new Doctor if your childhood doctor passed away or retired.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Then move.

It's not that hard to understand.  If you live where it is unaffordable or where you can not access services you move to where the situation is better.  

You don't think the capital city of British Columbia should have functional walk in clinics? Or have we just completely given up on our pathetic health care?

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

I am trying to figure out whet you mean. 

if you are over 35 it would have been easy to get a new Doctor if your childhood doctor passed away or retired.

Haha bless your heart if you think it's that easy to get a family doctor here

7 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You live where my son does then.

He is 28 and still has the same Doctor here where we live.

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You live where my son does then.

He is 28 and still has the same Doctor here where we live.

And? That's awesome he has a doctor. Doesn't for a second mean they are easy to get. There are soooo many people here that have been on waitlists for years trying to get a family doctor. It's not that easy here

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And? That's awesome he has a doctor. Doesn't for a second mean they are easy to get. There are soooo many people here that have been on waitlists for years trying to get a family doctor. It's not that easy here

Not too sure what you’re arguing here. Is it a political issue that there is a (world) shortage of doctors and nurses? 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not too sure what you’re arguing here. Is it a political issue that there is a (world) shortage of doctors and nurses? 

I'm not sure I know of any first world country where you can't even stroll into a walk in clinic and sit down and wait to see a doctor?

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I never said they are easy to get.

You still have not answered one question of mine as to why you don't have a Doctor.  Did you childhood Doctor retire recently?

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm not sure I know of any first world country where you can't even stroll into a walk in clinic and sit down and wait to see a doctor?

walk into a Canadian ER, you'll get treated and it won't cost you anything. Ideal, no. But no one asked for your credit card first. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

walk into a Canadian ER, you'll get treated and it won't cost you anything. Ideal, no. But no one asked for your credit card first. 

Only if you're an out of Province patient. I'm not sure if all of you know this, but BC Medical only covers us here in BC. So, if you travel across the Country and go into a clinic or hospital make sure you have out of Province travel insurance.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You don't think the capital city of British Columbia should have functional walk in clinics? Or have we just completely given up on our pathetic health care?

That jump to conclusions was tough, hope you didn't turn an ankle

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

Only if you're an out of Province patient. I'm not sure if all of you know this, but BC Medical only covers us here in BC. So, if you travel across the Country and go into a clinic or hospital make sure you have out of Province travel insurance.

I just texted my best friend in Saskatoon to ask if he had to pay.