Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Wiggums said:

He's on record of saying he's trying to not focus on identity politics so he can focus more on important issues like the economy. The rest is him combatting the left's identity politics which he kinda has to.

Cool story though

No, he doesn't.  If he cut out the bigoted policy and actually concentrated on the economy, then the civilized people in this country wouldn't be so opposed to him.  No one is forcing this evil piece of garbage to inflict his barbaric beliefs on innocent citizens.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Can you provide some examples of this?  Some of the most successful people I know are women and minorities.  I'd love to know where the inequalities are....

112 has already mentioned First Nations people are more likely to end up in prison.   That might be on the judges and prosecutors but also points to a lack of opportunity.

How many horror stories of their mistreatment in hospitals by white doctors and nurses?

Have you seen the anti immigration vitriol that has been turning up in threads recently?

Do you really think LGBT people are always treated fairly in this country?

Do you really think someone's name does not count when applying for a job or a place to rent?

What is the incentive behind driving over an Ontario Arabic family or shooting up a Quebec Mosque?

I could go on but I tire of thinking of this stuff.    You may debate that I am describing racism and not racial inequality but racial inequality exists where racism exists.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

I'm LGBT and suffered harassment for a couple of months last year from an individual who was generously using the f-slur to refer to me.

Sure, I understand and that is terrible.  There is no doubt that the LGBTQ+ community is discriminated against.  That is why I left that one out.  I was specifically interested in women and minorities, of which Satchmo said they were still being discriminated against.  Some of the most successful people I know are women and minorities who came here from other countries with nothing and now have more money and success than most white males that I know...

I'd like some statistics on this.  This is one hell of a generalization that actually paints alot of people with the same brush.  It's also not helpful in actually fixing any problems that we may have.

This is not surprising to me however.  I mean, many posters like you are basically in the US Politics thread claiming that 50% of the US population are all racists...

Well, if the shoe fits.  I know that this is an American poll.  Thing is, the theory comes from white supremacists and those, again, are more likely coming from the right-wing.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/06/01/great-replacement-theory-poll-republicans-democrats/7461913001/?gnt-cfr=1

Month before Buffalo shooting, poll finds, 7 in 10 Republicans believed in 'great replacement' ideas

Just now, Satchmo said:

112 has already mentioned First Nations people are more likely to end up in prison.   That might be on the judges and prosecutors but also points to a lack of opportunity.

How many horror stories of their mistreatment in hospitals by white doctors and nurses?

Have you seen the anti immigration vitriol that has been turning up in threads recently?

Do you really think someone's name does not count when applying for a job or a place to rent?

What is the incentive behind driving over an Ontario Arabic family or shooting up a Quebec Mosque?

I could go on but I tire of thinking of this stuff.    You may debate that I am describing racism and not racial inequality but racial inequality exists where racism exists.

LGBTQ+ and First Nations 100%.  I will not argue that at all.  Anti-Immigration in and of itself is not racist.  Some people think that we are just letting in too many people and we as a country do not have the resources to handle everybody.  Also, some people are upset that they are not being taken care of by the government, while at the same time the government is letting in all of these immigrants who are taking resources away from them.  

I'd really like some examples of employers in BC specifically who have been caught discriminating in job applications by passing over resumes because of someone's name.  Same with rental applications...

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's still very hard. Intergenerational / historical trauma. We have a massive over representation of indigenous peoples in our prison system. 

WE have to understand also that equality is not the same as fairness. 

They commit the most crimes... Yes the ugly history  likely pays a part in this but it's not inequality.  We're not going to just not send indigenous people to prison because of what happened way back when.  It has nothing to do with inequality, it's just how it needs to be.

men are overrepresented in prison in generl, are men unequal and treated unfairly compared to women?

Edited by Wiggums
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Wiggums said:

75 examples eh...can't wait

Identity politics is the government pushing social and racial issues farther than they need to be pushed.  Making people think the problem is much worse than it is, turning imaginary evil vs good 

Would that be farther than YOU want them to be pushed?

'Making the people think the problem is much worse than it is'  reminds me of many posts made while discussing trans people.  Not to mention many campaign ads by the CPC.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

On this point, here's an article supporting claims of mistreatment from the hospital in PG:

https://www.myprincegeorgenow.com/141822/news/woman-pursuing-legal-action-on-uhnbc-following-medically-induced-labour/

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

LGBTQ+ and First Nations 100%.  I will not argue that at all.  Anti-Immigration in and of itself is not racist.  Some people think that we are just letting in too many people and we as a country do not have the resources to handle everybody.  Also, some people are upset that they are not being taken care of by the government, while at the same time the government is letting in all of these immigrants who are taking resources away from them.  

I'd really like some examples of employers in BC specifically who have been caught discriminating in job applications by passing over resumes because of someone's name.  Same with rental applications...

We had people actually thinking that the name of a murdered immigrant was appropriate material for a joke on this site.

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Well, if the shoe fits.  I know that this is an American poll.  Thing is, the theory comes from white supremacists and those, again, are more likely coming from the right-wing.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/06/01/great-replacement-theory-poll-republicans-democrats/7461913001/?gnt-cfr=1

Month before Buffalo shooting, poll finds, 7 in 10 Republicans believed in 'great replacement' ideas

1,500 people.  Wow, that is a huge poll.  Also, it says right in the article that 42% of Democrats also feel the same way...

The poll in April of 1,500 Americans by the Southern Poverty Law Center and Tulchin Research found that 45% of young Republican men, and 42% of young male Democrats, said they approve of violence to achieve political change. 

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

They commit the most crimes... Yes the ugly history  likely pays a part in this but it's not inequality.  We're not going to just not send indigenous people to prison because of what happened way back when.  It has nothing to do with inequality, it's just how it needs to be.

men are overrepresented in prison in generl, are men unequal and treated unfairly compared to women?

aaaand here we go.

Why don't you go ahead and tell me the rate in which say, caucasians in Alberta, Sask and Ontario go to jail for say, assault, breaking and entering, car thefts or the like vs first nations individuals with the same criminal records and crimes.

I can help ya, it's incredibly disproportionate.  But then what you're doing is not a form of racial inequality at all because "they commit the most crimes"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1,500 people.  Wow, that is a huge poll.  Also, it says right in the article that 42% of Democrats also feel the same way...

The poll in April of 1,500 Americans by the Southern Poverty Law Center and Tulchin Research found that 45% of young Republican men, and 42% of young male Democrats, said they approve of violence to achieve political change. 

if 1500 is not a huge number for a poll and not credible, then we can safely ignore the statements that the majority of canadians are against or uncomforotable with trans issues in kids and that Pierre is a lock to win a majority right?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Anti-Immigration in and of itself is not racist.   But it is so often voiced that way.    

I asked the question: Do you really think someone's name does not count when applying for a job or a place to rent?  I have no real proof of this in Canada though ample examples can be found in the states.   But can you honestly say the answer to the question - in Canada - would be a hard no?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Again, You thought that my generalization that someone who had a F Turdope sticker on their truck were likely to believe in great replacement was overblown.  I gave a poll that supports my claim.  Even that there are Democrats who believe it.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to see something source like from you refuting my claim.  We all know you won't bother, so my claim stands.  Thank you, come again.

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Nobody is teaching white children that they are evil oppressors, though. Minorities have unique struggles and experiences whether you like to admit it or not. It's important for children to have a basic grasp of discrimination, etc., and why it's wrong, and for them to understand that nobody is less than them because of their race or other protected class. This ideally starts at home, but schools imo have an obligation to instill values of acceptance as well.

Do you have sociological studies that find talking about racism increases racist attitudes? I don't hear from any parliamentarian that there is a race war.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's an actual ethnic minority as to whether they've experienced more or less hate in recent years as opposed to the times before "identity politics" became popular.

It's largely been a more welcoming experience.  The real take-home point for me is that the experiences of various minorities in Canada were/are distinct from white Canadians. 

But I've also seen some real dumb shit from people who feel offended that they're seeing "more Kims and Parks in our community" or that white Canadian history is being erased. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Anti-Immigration in and of itself is not racist.   But it is so often voiced that way.    

I asked the question: Do you really think someone's name does not count when applying for a job or a place to rent?  I have no real proof of this in Canada though ample examples can be found in the states.   But can you honestly say the answer to the question - in Canada - would be a hard no?

I have ALOT of experience with rental applications.  I also know many recruiters downtown.  I have not seen what you are talking about.  I'm not saying it never happens.  It's just not very prevalent out there because there are MAJOR consequences to people who do this.  Perhaps the odd F-Trudeau redneck may decline rental applications for his property in Chilliwack, but I highly doubt it is in any way prevalent in most other areas...

I have ALOT of experience with rental applications.  I also know many recruiters downtown.  I have not seen what you are talking about.  I'm not saying it never happens.  It's just not very prevalent out there because there are MAJOR consequences to people who do this.  Perhaps the odd F-Trudeau redneck may decline rental applications for his property in Chilliwack, but I highly doubt it is in any way prevalent in most other areas...

So not a hard no.  And remember we are discussing Canada and not your backyard.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Let's just link you some more stuff you won't look at then claim i didn't give you 75 examples while ignoring the fact you just shoved so much of your foot in your mouth by stating what you believed identity politics were and how I just showed you who is REALLY pushing the culture and identity war in canada and you ignored that too with a weak excuse.

I'll try to avoid the obvious issues I've had in my life as a first nations individual dealing with the smug and smarmy comments, attitudes and the like from people because "natives got free stuff for nothing"

https://canadianwomen.org/the-facts/

https://gbvlearningnetwork.ca/our-work/issuebased_newsletters/issue-10/index.html

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-20-0002/452000022023002-eng.htm

https://ca.indeed.com/hire/c/info/gender-equality-in-the-canadian-workplace

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/may-2023/worsening-gender-inequality-waterloo-warning-canada/

https://najc.ca/human-rights-guide/gender-discrimination-in-canada/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/sexism-gender-equality-saskatchewan-news-surgery-sha-sma-1.6912909

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/gender-pay-gap-ccpa-report-1.6823570

https://www.humanrightscareers.com/issues/examples-of-social-issues-in-canada/

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/Issues/IPeoples/EMRIP/Health/UniversityManitoba.pdf

https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/en/resources/publications/discussion-paper-systemic-racism

https://www.nccih.ca/docs/determinants/FS-Racism2-Racism-Impacts-EN.pdf

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/five-charts-that-show-what-systemic-racism-looks-like-in-canada-1.4970352?cache=b

But while I could go on, since you're going to ignore it all anyway, what's the point?

4% difference between men and women's wage gap whilst working the same job with the same experience.  4 big cents to the dollar.  Crazzzyy inequality.  It will never be 0% equal

Most of this is just whining lefty dog water.

Everybody has some sort of hardship in their lives, time to stop babying everyone 

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It's largely been a more welcoming experience.  The real take-home point for me is that the experiences of various minorities in Canada were/are distinct from white Canadians. 

But I've also seen some real dumb shit from people who feel offended that they're seeing "more Kims and Parks in our community" or that white Canadian history is being erased. 

I was at the Lions playoff game and some jackoff in my section was yelling at Ken Sim to go back to Richmond.

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

4% difference between men and women's wage gap whilst working the same job with the same experience.  4 big cents to the dollar.  Crazzzyy inequality.  It will never be 0% equal

Most of this is just whining lefty dog water.

Everybody has some sort of hardship in their lives, time to stop babying everyone 

So no big deal if your interest rate goes up on your mortgage by 4%, right?

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

So not a hard no.  And remember we are discussing Canada and not your backyard.

Well it can never be 100%.  There will always be one racist, right?  I just don't think it is prevalent.  Perhaps if someone has access to HRT records we can see how many discrimination cases are being filed...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I was at the Lions playoff game and some jackoff in my section was yelling at Ken Sim to go back to Richmond.

I don't think the conversation is being centred around if there are racists living in Vancouver.  No doubt, there are plenty.  The conversation I believe is centred around if race was being used to deny job and rental applications and also that minorities did not have similar opportunities to succeed in Canada...

The fact that Ken Sim is a minority and he is the mayor of Vancouver tells me that he is a very successful man...

Edited by Elias Pettersson