Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think the conversation is being centred around if there are racists living in Vancouver.  No doubt, there are plenty.  The conversation I believe is centred around if race was being used to deny job and rental applications and also that minorities did not have similar opportunities to succeed in Canada...

The fact that Ken Sim is a minority and he is the mayor of Vancouver tells me that he is a very successful man...

My comment is not so much that he was a racist, it's that he felt comfortable articulating that in a stadium full of people.  This kind of garbage shouldn't be socially acceptable.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

4% difference between men and women's wage gap whilst working the same job with the same experience.  4 big cents to the dollar.  Crazzzyy inequality.  It will never be 0% equal

Most of this is just whining lefty dog water.

Everybody has some sort of hardship in their lives, time to stop babying everyone 

Where are you getting those numbers?   They are wrong. 

I don't know why I was quoted here but I recently said there is still wage inequality for women.  Things are getting better but I see no one saying 4%.  10%ish is the number most often used and is much better than the 15%  from 2007.   The number really should be 0 so it's at least comforting to see we are trending that way. 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/230921/dq230921b-eng.htm

https://globalnews.ca/news/10273328/gender-wage-gaps-canada/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I don't know why I was quoted here but I recently said there is still wage inequality for women.  Things are getting better but I see no one saying 4%.  10%ish is the number most often used and is much better than the 15%  from 2007.   The number really should be 0 so it's at least comforting to see we are trending that way. 

Does it mention anything about roles, education, experience, overtime hours? 

Wouldn't those things be important determining factors? 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, I understand and that is terrible.  There is no doubt that the LGBTQ+ community is discriminated against.  That is why I left that one out.  I was specifically interested in women and minorities, of which Satchmo said they were still being discriminated against.  Some of the most successful people I know are women and minorities who came here from other countries with nothing and now have more money and success than most white males that I know...

So you understand why many of us could never vote for Pierre then. Why leave it out though?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Does it mention anything about roles, education, experience, overtime hours? 

Wouldn't those things be important determining factors? 

TAW got here first.   I agree.

You forgot this:

A new survey looking specifically at women and work in Canada found there is a still a big gender gap when it comes to pay, jobs and safety. So, it came as a surprise that a Conservative MP blamed women, saying the good jobs are out there but women just aren’t going for them. Laura Stone reports.

Just catching up and I’m a little confused. @Wiggums shrugs off a disparity in women’s pay of 4% as nothing and  “more whining lefty dog water and in another post blames lefty identity politics and has two people agree with him. This is the same guy who complains about transgenders using the wrong bathrooms and tg athletes ruining women’s sports.

I guess it’s safe to assume that unless the numbers for those two events are higher than 4% it’s just more whining righty identity politics. Talk about dog whistles.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

TAW got here first.   I agree.

You forgot this:

A new survey looking specifically at women and work in Canada found there is a still a big gender gap when it comes to pay, jobs and safety. So, it came as a surprise that a Conservative MP blamed women, saying the good jobs are out there but women just aren’t going for them. Laura Stone reports.

What are you agreeing with?  That experience, position, education and overtime don't matter?  Women should just be paid the same no matter what?  Seems reasonable I guess 

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Just catching up and I’m a little confused. @Wiggums shrugs off a disparity in women’s pay of 4% as nothing and  “more whining lefty dog water and in another post blames lefty identity politics and has two people agree with him. This is the same guy who complains about transgenders using the wrong bathrooms and tg athletes ruining women’s sports.

I guess it’s safe to assume that unless the numbers for those two events are higher than 4% it’s just more whining righty identity politics. Talk about dog whistles.

So if you had or have a daughter(biological female daughter) who's been training her whole life to win an event, and a biological male who has lived their whole life as a biological male until just recently decided to join the competition with your daughter and absolutely crushes her in the event, takes the trophy, the glory, the possible scholarship.  You'd be like "fair play, kudos to them?"

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What are you agreeing with?  That experience, position, education and overtime don't matter?  Women should just be paid the same no matter what?  Seems reasonable I guess 

I believe the statistics are adjusted for the items you listed. Women are being compared to their male peers/equals in terms of experience, etc.

Edited by 112

1 minute ago, 112 said:

I believe the statistics are adjusted for the items you listed. Women are being compared to their male peers/equals in terms of experience, etc.

Doesn't say that anywhere and I asked.  

13 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I agree with what TAW said.   I originally typed 'I agree with him'  but then I was reminded I did not know the correct woke left wing pronoun to use and backspaced.

Do your own research on the wage gap and your questions should be answered.

7 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

So if you had or have a daughter(biological female daughter) who's been training her whole life to win an event, and a biological male who has lived their whole life as a biological male until just recently decided to join the competition with your daughter and absolutely crushes her in the event, takes the trophy, the glory, the possible scholarship.  You'd be like "fair play, kudos to them?"

If it happens less than 4%  of the time no big deal according to you and thus just identity politics. See pay inequity  is an actual real thing that most women encounter throughout their careers,  (even if you poo-poo 4% , although that figure varies greatly by field) unlike your what-if scenario. So which is a bigger deal affecting more Canadians?

For the purposes of your question though I will admit that how that situation plays out is murky at best but let’s wait and see how often that happens and what the actual stakeholders have to say then I can give you a more informed opinion.

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If it happens less than 4%  of the time no big deal according to you and thus just identity politics. See pay inequity  is an actual real thing that most women encounter throughout their careers,  (even if you poo-poo 4% , although that figure varies greatly by field) unlike your what-if scenario. So which is a bigger deal affecting more Canadians?

For the purposes of your question though I will admit that how that situation plays out is murky at best but let’s wait and see how often that happens and what the actual stakeholders have to say then I can give you a more informed opinion.

Don't mock my opinion on trans athletes if you won't even share your own.  That is all

16 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Don't mock my opinion on trans athletes if you won't even share your own.  That is all

That is my opinion (such as it is) on trans athletes. I don’t have enough information yet to say either way and that should be ok. 

FTR I didn’t mock your opinion on trans athletes. I question why something so rare causes you such discomfort while  you mock something as common as pay inequity. 

IMG_8632.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wiggums said:

4% difference between men and women's wage gap whilst working the same job with the same experience.  4 big cents to the dollar.  Crazzzyy inequality.  It will never be 0% equal

Most of this is just whining lefty dog water.

Everybody has some sort of hardship in their lives, time to stop babying everyone 

Ya?

Tell me more about drs and life on the island and all that

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My goodness

Is there anyone you know that doesn't have experience in specific fields relating to these conversations?  It's so serendipitous that it happens so frequently 

He has incredible stories about everything it seems,   None which seem legit.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Satchmo said:

There are wage gaps because of job characteristics, job tenure, educational attainment, etc.  That has nothing to do with women getting paid less than men for doing the exact same job.  This is quoted right from your statscan source...

These factors suggest that the changing composition of the labour force and differences in job characteristics play a role in reducing the pay gap between Canadian-born men and women from diverse groups. 

In fact, compositional changes accounted for most of the narrowing of the wage gap. Women's relative improvement in educational attainment, longer job tenure and having full-time employment explained the narrowing of the gap, ranging from 20% for Canadian-born women to 28% for immigrant women who landed as children. Changes in industry and occupation also largely explained the narrowing in the gender wage gap, ranging from 31% for Indigenous women to 74% for immigrant women who landed as adults.

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

No.

Female employees at Canadian banks and financial institutions earn 18.4 per cent less per hour in wages than their male colleagues

Yeah, I don't think so.  I call bs on this one.  You're telling me that a woman who does the exact same job as a man at a bank gets paid 18.4% less to do that exact same job?  Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  Every person at a bank gets paid the exact same wages for the jobs that they do.  If you get promoted you will get paid more.  So, if you want to argue on promotions and why men get promoted more than women then that is a different conversation.

FYI, there are more women managers and VP's at financial institutions than probably anywhere else in any job field.  The CEO of Vancity is literally a woman...