Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There are wage gaps because of job characteristics, job tenure, educational attainment, etc.  That has nothing to do with women getting paid less than men for doing the exact same job.  This is quoted right from your statscan source...

These factors suggest that the changing composition of the labour force and differences in job characteristics play a role in reducing the pay gap between Canadian-born men and women from diverse groups. 

In fact, compositional changes accounted for most of the narrowing of the wage gap. Women's relative improvement in educational attainment, longer job tenure and having full-time employment explained the narrowing of the gap, ranging from 20% for Canadian-born women to 28% for immigrant women who landed as children. Changes in industry and occupation also largely explained the narrowing in the gender wage gap, ranging from 31% for Indigenous women to 74% for immigrant women who landed as adults.

I notice that the validity of the 4% disparity figure has not been addressed by anyone responding to my post.

I think you are cherry picking if you chose those lines.  If they were chosen to make the points I have made look bad, I think they do the opposite.   Things are improving, as I have said.

Just now, Satchmo said:

I notice that the validity of the 4% disparity figure has not been addressed by anyone responding to my post.

I think you are cherry picking if you chose those lines.  If they were chosen to make the points I have made look bad, I think they do the opposite.   Things are improving, as I have said.

Instead of some generalized analysis by the government on wage disparity which has to do with many factors, some of which I already pointed out, I'd love to see where white men are getting paid more to do the exact same job as women or minorities.  That is what I am questioning.  If a man at a bank has an MBA with 10 years' experience and gets promoted over a woman with less education and less experience, then that is not discrimination.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Instead of some generalized analysis by the government on wage disparity which has to do with many factors, some of which I already pointed out, I'd love to see where white men are getting paid more to do the exact same job as women or minorities.  That is what I am questioning.  If a man at a bank has an MBA with 10 years' experience and gets promoted over a woman with less education and less experience, then that is not discrimination.  

Do your own research then and get back to us.

This all seems to have started about 5 hours ago when I said: 'We still have (some) wage disparity for women.'    I don't think I was telling a lie.

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

A lot of people don't know how to look at the bigger picture, to think outside the box, they just believe whatever they read and roll with it.

That's gold....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AriGold said:

Randomly curious... No bias, etc.. Where would the liberal vs conservative vote be on CDC ? 50/50 ?

80/20 i’d wager unless there are a lot of closet cons that stay in the hockey sections which is quite possible

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

80/20 i’d wager unless there are a lot of closet cons that stay in the hockey sections which is quite possible

Depends on the subject matter. 

I’m Liberal on some policies and Conservative on other policies.

Anyone who is only leaning one way on the myriad of social issues/problems isn’t thinking critically, imo. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Oh, wow, quite impressive. I'm a voting member of the conservative party but this is my first time seeing this section (I tend to stay in fantasy hockey).

Should be a fun end of 2024 in the USA and a fun end of 2025 in Canada.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Anyone who is only leaning one way on the myriad of social issues/problems isn’t thinking critically, imo. 

That's fair. I'm fiscally conservative but socially I could care less what or who you want to be.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Thats true. I was speaking very generally, but its a bit subjective where the centre is these days anyway.

1 minute ago, AriGold said:

That's fair. I'm fiscally conservative but socially I could care less what or who you want to be.

I’m socially and fiscally liberal, to a point, and judicially conservative, again, to a point. 

We’re all complex individuals living in a complex society. 

Our thoughts and opinions ought respect and reflect that complexity. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, I don't think so.  I call bs on this one.  You're telling me that a woman who does the exact same job as a man at a bank gets paid 18.4% less to do that exact same job?  Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  Every person at a bank gets paid the exact same wages for the jobs that they do.  If you get promoted you will get paid more.  So, if you want to argue on promotions and why men get promoted more than women then that is a different conversation.

FYI, there are more women managers and VP's at financial institutions than probably anywhere else in any job field.  The CEO of Vancity is literally a woman...

It was posted right here that it happens.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10273328/gender-wage-gaps-canada/

Thats true. I was speaking very generally, but its a bit subjective where the centre is these days anyway.

There shouldn’t be a ‘Center’. We should all be fluid in our thoughts/opinions. 

There’s nothing wrong in being tough on habitual criminals, for example, and still giving people a chance to make themselves better through social policies. 

Everything in society is grey, not ‘black and white’ for everyone at every time. 

Critical thought is what’s lacking, not party affiliations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

What matters is logic and rational arguments, not political affiliation or leanings. 

Gods but I wish this was still true.

Political affiliation is more tribal and out of touch than sports fandom

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Randomly curious... No bias, etc.. Where would the liberal vs conservative vote be on CDC ? 50/50 ?

If we were to ask questions of individuals in a non specific manner regarding their views on housing, immigration, sustainability, agriculture, economics and security; I myself believe the numbers would shake out to about 60/40 but probably not in the ways people would suspect.

The meat of the matter at that point is ensuring the questions are blind and asked without bias or suggestion and that's a trick in itself

9 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Oh, wow, quite impressive. I'm a voting member of the conservative party but this is my first time seeing this section (I tend to stay in fantasy hockey).

Should be a fun end of 2024 in the USA and a fun end of 2025 in Canada.

Ari,

I've always respected your opinion and I'd like to ask as a former member of the party.  What are your views on the push towards identity politicking done by the Conservatives and Liberals in Canada?  Specifically, do you think it is really so important that it gets more air time and precedence between the two than say, childhood safety, health or economic stability?

Or in a shorter form, do you think both parties have totally lost the message?