Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My kids learn math, art, science, English, a bit of local first Nations culture and language, drama, P.E. etc and about treating EVERYONE fairly and kindly. All stuff we started teaching them at home. Does that really sound that scary?

If it's really that scary, there's religious schools or homeschooling.  A public school system kind of necessitates kids being introduced to peers who come from different backgrounds.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Because you both make statements and get pushback on them? 

No, it's when the replies are brutal.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I may have gotten the gender of your child wrong, Mea Culpa. 

However, what other jumps, based with regard to your story, did I make?

Do you really think/believe an individual can't be talked into this because of friends? Why are you making assumptions on my thought process? I told Ari something that I've seen firsthand. This isn't me trying to connect the dots. I've seen the messages of these kids trying to convince each other that they're trans, to go get the surgeries together when they're old enough, and so on.

Remains to be seen if that happens when they're old enough, but I was replying to Ari that I have indeed seen what he is concerned about.

27 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

This is a prime example why Arigold stepped away, and why others will too.

Nothing wrong going to a safe space if it affects your mental health. Debate on am online forum is not for everyone.

I don't understand these posts though.

You're on a left leaning forum, most right wing takes will get a variety of responses from left wingers, some further left than others.

I'd expect the same if I was on a right leaning forum. Each post I make getting multiple responses ranging from rational economic conservatives to wacko MAGAs. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Nothing wrong going to a safe space if it affects your mental health. Debate on am online forum is not for everyone.

I don't understand these posts though.

You're on a left leaning forum, most right wing takes will get a variety of responses from left wingers, some further left than others.

I'd expect the same if I was on a right leaning forum. Each post I make getting multiple responses ranging from rational economic conservatives to wacko MAGAs.

The irony of you quoting me with this. I debate these topics consistently without being emotionally charged. I'm not phased by the opinions of strangers.

I'm pointing out that replies that wildly miss the mark will deter conversation.

Edited by Master Mind

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Um…I wasn’t doing anything, I was just…ah…adjusting myself. Yeah, that’s it, adjusting things. 
Several times.

Honest.

Masturbation is perfectly normal and healthy activity. Someone covertly watching you on the other hand…..

Oops no pun intended on that last bit

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Define identity politics if you would for me.

Trying to win arguments by calling people racists, bigots, xenophobes, sexists, etc. 

Also, here you go... 

Identity politics, as a mode of categorizing, are closely connected to the ascription that some social groups are oppressed (such as women, ethnic minorities, and sexual minorities); that is, the idea that individuals belonging to those groups are, by virtue of their identity, more vulnerable to forms of oppression ...

That's straight from Wikipedia. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_politics#:~:text=Identity politics%2C as a mode,vulnerable to forms of oppression

Did you not know that?

On 3/10/2024 at 7:32 PM, Satchmo said:

Ever wonder if that's just because most people don't agree with your opinions on either of the two subjects you mention?    If they strongly disagree that can be taken as an attack.

That said, I happen to agree that calling for people to move is perhaps not the best suggestion.

IMHO we have a doctor shortage that is causing problems.  Things are improving though.  We can fault the BC government for a slow start to action but it can't be denied they are now acting.  

You're right, and I'm fine with people disagreeing.  

I've just had childish people here call me names, regurgitate talking points from the mainstream media, etc...  Just nothing insightful that contributes to the conversation in my opinion.  

Anyways, I get it, we are as brainwashed as anyone else in the world.  In fact, one could make a very strong case that the propaganda in North America is much stronger then the propaganda in Russia or anywhere else outside of China and North Korea due to their power over internet restrictions.   

On 3/10/2024 at 7:32 PM, Satchmo said:

IMHO we have a doctor shortage that is causing problems.  Things are improving though.  We can fault the BC government for a slow start to action but it can't be denied they are now acting.  

Forgot to mention this, but I don't think that the doctor shortage can be attributed to the NDP or the Liberal (United Party) government.  It's been this way for the last 20 years.  

Definitely a fault of both the BC and Canada government.  

I have time for an argument that shifts the blame to the population too.  Are we way too soft and going to the hospital for the treatable things that we should deal with at home?  I see lots of people that shouldn't be in the ER every time I'm there.  

I also long for the good old days.  The good old days when you'd go see a doctor and you could tell your doctor the 2-3 things that were wrong and he'd give you a prescription and some tough love, and you'd be on your way.  Now it's all broken up in 15 minute increments and don't you dare bring up multiple issues with your family doctor that's paid by the visit. 

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

No, it's when the replies are brutal.

Do you really think/believe an individual can't be talked into this because of friends? Why are you making assumptions on my thought process? I told Ari something that I've seen firsthand. This isn't me trying to connect the dots. I've seen the messages of these kids trying to convince each other that they're trans, to go get the surgeries together when they're old enough, and so on.

Remains to be seen if that happens when they're old enough, but I was replying to Ari that I have indeed seen what he is concerned about.

Excellent documentary just released by Radio Canada (French CBC).  

Came out a couple of weeks ago. 

Shows you that 16 year olds are taken at their word, pushed into hormone therapy and double masectomy.  Those that speak against this practice are cancelled, threatened and intimidated.  The funny thing is that lots of people speaking out against this are trans people themselves, and a lot of detransitioners.  

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

Trying to win arguments by calling people racists, bigots, xenophobes, sexists, etc. 

Also, here you go... 

Identity politics, as a mode of categorizing, are closely connected to the ascription that some social groups are oppressed (such as women, ethnic minorities, and sexual minorities); that is, the idea that individuals belonging to those groups are, by virtue of their identity, more vulnerable to forms of oppression ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_politics#:~:text=Identity politics%2C as a mode,vulnerable to forms of oppression

Did you not know that?

As I've expressed in previous post, my identity as a Korean Canadian millenial is not based on some kind of divisive factionalism the way you're trying to frame it.  I... watched the same TV shows as others my age.  I... ate the same food as other people of my ethnicity.  And of course I... certainly experienced my fair share of racism despite being born here.  I don't embrace those identities to try and sow division.  Like, your house don't smell like kimchi, and my house don't smell like... Kraft Dinner and ketchup.  So what?

"Identity politics" is nothing more than a buzzword that can be used by anyone for any reason.  And if you hate "identity politics" with such a passion, then that has now become your identity.  It informs the way you think and behave, as well as how you view yourself.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AriGold said:

That's... quite the accusation based on a single line you cherry picked out of Sharpshooter's reply to you. Made only more ironic considering it followed this one by you:

"Come on Pete, you know exactly what I mean. Stay on task..."

I think you could take your own advise and reread what Sharps actually wrote, and consider you may have jumped to a conclusion that doesn't exist.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

You don't see how the phrase "you're giving me a creepy pedo vibe" could be an accusation?
So if I said some of your recent posts give me transphobic vibes that would be cool? Because some of your recent posts give me a transphobic vibe..... Especially this line:

"I have to wonder if he's learning about his body and changing his gender. Very scary thought"  (isn't cherry picking from a post fun?)

I have no idea if Sharps deleted any of your posts, and if he did you should be contacting Ribs directly, not calling it out on the board.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StrayDog said:

That's... quite the accusation based on a single line you cherry picked out of Sharpshooter's reply to you. Made only more ironic considering it followed this one by you:

"Come on Pete, you know exactly what I mean. Stay on task..."

I think you could take your own advise and reread what Sharps actually wrote, and consider you may have jumped to a conclusion that doesn't exist.

Regarding "Come on Pete, you know exactly what I mean. Stay on task..."

I think what I said about puberty blockers being used for over 40 years to treat precocious puberty that had zero to do with gender dysphoria is very much on task since Alberta announced legislation that would ban all use of puberty blockers for anyone under 16 and Poilievre came out and announced he fully supported Smith’s proposed legislation.

What could be more “on task” than a ban treating precocious puberty that sometimes occurs in females as young as 8 years old and males 9?

OTTAWA, Feb 7 (Reuters) - Canada's Conservative opposition leader Pierre Poilievre on Wednesday expressed support for a gender identity policy that would forbid minors in the Western province of Alberta from receiving hormonal treatments like puberty blockers.
Alberta's guidelines, which were announced last week and are expected to be implemented later this year, would be the strictest in Canada. They would ban hormonal treatments for children who are 15 and under, and require parental consent for 16- and 17-year-olds.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Also, here you go... 

Did you not know that?

Do you believe that the Conservatives are engaging in identity politics?

8 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Also, here you go... 

Did you not know that?

You've provided two different definitions. I have to disagree with the first one, and I'm not sure why you would find issue with the second one being topical among political parties or individual politicians. Forms of oppression do exist within Canada and it's important to do our best to eliminate them.

Do you have instances of your first definition within Canadian politics? If someone is calling another bigoted, there's probably more behind it than a meaningless attempt to 'win' an argument.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Also, here you go... 

Did you not know that?

Trying to win an argument by calling people racists, bigots, xenophobes, sexists, etc. would be wrong, as most people here would agree.

Calling out statements that are  racist, bigoted, xenophobic or  sexists would be right in my opinion.    A few such statements made here yesterday seems to have resulted in a ban. 

The ascription that some social groups are oppressed (such as women, ethnic minorities, and sexual minorities); that is, the idea that individuals belonging to those groups are, by virtue of their identity, more vulnerable to forms of oppression seems to be a sad fact.   Are you saying the social groups mentioned are completely free from oppression?  Or that they are (to one degree or another) but people talk too much about it?

The 'Did you not know that' question at the end of your post sounds a bit snippy. Yesterday I, as I suspect a few others did, looked up the definition of 'Identity Politics'.   I think I might as well looked up the definition of 'woke' in that I don't feel the definition gave me much of a sense of what the term means in modern political discourse.    Is it like 'Art'?  Ineffable but you know it when you see it?

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Forgot to mention this, but I don't think that the doctor shortage can be attributed to the NDP or the Liberal (United Party) government.  It's been this way for the last 20 years.  

Definitely a fault of both the BC and Canada government.  

I have time for an argument that shifts the blame to the population too.  Are we way too soft and going to the hospital for the treatable things that we should deal with at home?  I see lots of people that shouldn't be in the ER every time I'm there.  

I also long for the good old days.  The good old days when you'd go see a doctor and you could tell your doctor the 2-3 things that were wrong and he'd give you a prescription and some tough love, and you'd be on your way.  Now it's all broken up in 15 minute increments and don't you dare bring up multiple issues with your family doctor that's paid by the visit. 

I can bring up multiple issues with my Doctor. 

Trudeau's Montana holiday cost taxpayers much more than reported

Price tag for trip came to $228,839 — far higher than sum disclosed to Parliament

elizabeth-thompson.jpg
Elizabeth Thompson · CBC News · Posted: Oct 05, 2023 1:00 AM PDT | Last Updated: October 5, 2023
A hotel stands on a snow-covered ridge in bright sunlight.
The Yellowstone Club near Big Sky, Mont., north of Yellowstone National Park. Big Sky's skiing and snowboarding trails attract wealthy tourists from around the world. (Erik Peterson/AP)

Social Sharing

comments

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Easter weekend vacation in Montana cost taxpayers nearly a quarter of a million dollars, CBC News has learned — far more than the sum reported to Parliament.

The price tag for the April 6-10 trip comes to more than $228,839, once the costs carried by the Canadian Armed Forces, the Privy Council Office and the RCMP are included.

That sum does not include the regular salaries of the RCMP officers tasked with protecting the prime minister, the Royal Canadian Air Force aircrew or the Privy Council official who normally accompanies the prime minister with the equipment needed to communicate securely.

That price tag is far higher than the figure the government reported to Parliament two weeks ago. In answer to a question placed on the order paper by Conservative MP Luc Berthold, the government disclosed $23,846 in spending on the trip by the Canadian Armed Forces and the Privy Council.

That lower figure did not include the $204,993 the RCMP spent on overtime and costs such as accommodations, meals, incidentals and travel associated with Trudeau's holiday. That spending was revealed only this week, in response to a question to the police force from CBC News.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau waves as he boards an airplane along with his son.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and son Xavier depart New Delhi, India on Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2023. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)

The government's answers reveal little about where exactly Trudeau went and what he did during his long weekend in Montana.

THATS $57,210 PER DAY!

Edited by Captkirk888