Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not to downplay other issues like higher pay in the private system down South, or very real systemic issues that contribute to the problem, but this is going to be the case for literally EVERY industry moving forward, due to an aging population. We simply do not have the bodies to replace the ones retiring/dying.

Hopefully AI provides some relief in the near-mid term. I'd imagine suitably capable AI powered body scanners could reduce a LOT of workload on doctors, nurses, technicians etc in the medical field.

Let’s hope that is the case. I would like to see an open discussion of how this problem is being addressed. If AI is an option then how, when, where and what are the objectives. I appreciate that an open discussion would be onerous and time consuming. Probably not workable. As taxpayers we hire management to devise plans and execute them. I never see the plans, their success or failure, or the accountability for failure. In IHA I see a pretty closed org. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Let’s hope that is the case. I would like to see an open discussion of how this problem is being addressed. If AI is an option then how, when, where and what are the objectives. I appreciate that an open discussion would be onerous and time consuming. Probably not workable. As taxpayers we hire management to devise plans and execute them. I never see the plans, their success or failure, or the accountability for failure. In IHA I see a pretty closed org. 

Contacting Dix's office may be the best route to getting those answers.

https://dir.gov.bc.ca/gtds.cgi?show=Branch&organizationCode=HLTH&organizationalUnitCode=MH

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Any idea how many are many?

If this is a substantial problem then Canadian taxpayers should be asking:  Why are we subsidizing the education costs of US-bound doctors?

You would only know their intentions after the fact so not easy to fix.

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

If this is a substantial problem then Canadian taxpayers should be asking:  Why are we subsidizing the education costs of US-bound doctors?

My sampling is just from Bouds town and limited in scope as I do not live there anymore. We have lost a few in my town to the states as well. My own doc. is not taking on any new patients and many of the other doctors in the clinic are not adding patients either.

6 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The number of people in my town without a family doctor has increased due to a couple of GP's leaving

for greener pastures. The patients that were under the care of these doctors are struggling to find doctors that will take them on as many are already at capacity for their practice.

Add to that the many that are selling in the Lower Mainland and moving into the Interior. Which, I've always warned folks of doing. The infastructure  can't sustain the amount of people. Kelowna to me has become a giant strip mall.

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

Add to that the many that are selling in the Lower Mainland and moving into the Interior. Which, I've always warned folks of doing. The infastructure  can't sustain the amount of people. Kelowna to me has become a giant strip mall.

Surrey By The Lake

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

In the Kootenay's we are seeing an influx from Alberta of people leaving the big cities. It affects all of the infrastructure from the prices of homes soaring to the availability of doctors.

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You would only know their intentions after the fact so not easy to fix.

One possiblity might be to have medical students sign a legal agreement stating that if they do not practice in Canada for, say 10 or 15 years, they have to pay back the subsidized portion of their medical education costs (and maybe an extra penalty fee).

But this would only be necessary if a substantial number of medical school graduates are moving to the States after they complete their studies in Canada.  If we're only losing a few it's not worth the trouble.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I came here to ask a question, but this is too good of a troll opportunity...

DO NOT TRY AND CUT OFF THE FLOW OF OUR FOREIGN DOCTOR SUPPLY!!!  Doctors and oil;  is that too much to ask!!! 😄

• Haha 1

Anywho... Sorry if this has been discussed already.  But WTF?  Please tell me this is just normal Faux News hyperbole.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canadian-law-endorsed-by-trudeau-government-could-imprison-people-for-life-for-speech-crimes/ar-BB1jR5o2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=319f453ff25b4b66959df05f05f50d48&ei=114

I've stopped paying attention to Canadian news.  It's becoming too much like  US news.

10 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Anywho... Sorry if this has been discussed already.  But WTF?  Please tell me this is just normal Faux News hyperbole.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canadian-law-endorsed-by-trudeau-government-could-imprison-people-for-life-for-speech-crimes/ar-BB1jR5o2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=319f453ff25b4b66959df05f05f50d48&ei=114

I've stopped paying attention to Canadian news.  It's becoming too much like  US news.

Faux News fear mongering.....nobody would go to jail for saying things like "Free Palestine!" or whatever....

Introduced late last month, the Online Harms Act, or Bill C-63, would allow judges to imprison adults for life if they advocate for genocide. 

The law would also allow a provincial judge to impose house arrest and a fine if there were reasonable grounds to believe a defendant "will commit" an offense...

It's just a guess, but I think it stems from this case, where a Canadian teenager was coerced into committing suicide by a man from the Netherlands:

https://www.cp24.com/dutch-court-orders-amanda-todd-s-tormentor-to-serve-six-years-of-13-year-b-c-term-1.6697261

FWIW, the Dutch courts appear to believe it was worth a prison sentence as well.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Faux News fear mongering.....nobody would go to jail for saying things like "Free Palestine!" or whatever....

It's just a guess, but I think it stems from this case, where a Canadian teenager was coerced into committing suicide by a man from the Netherlands:

https://www.cp24.com/dutch-court-orders-amanda-todd-s-tormentor-to-serve-six-years-of-13-year-b-c-term-1.6697261

FWIW, the Dutch courts appear to believe it was worth a prison sentence as well.

Thanks.  That seemed extreme the way Faux presents it.  Although, I still don't like that the law may end up existing for you guys because it could be abused.

In the US, a girl was sent to prison for coercing a boy to kill himself while they were talking over the internet.  No new laws were needed to stuff her in a cage.  Coercion is coercion.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thanks.  That seemed extreme the way Faux presents it.  Although, I still don't like that the law may end up existing for you guys because it could be abused.

In the US, a girl was sent to prison for coercing a boy to kill himself while they were talking over the internet.  No new laws were needed to stuff her in a cage.  Coercion is coercion.

I generally agree that a new law isn't really needed, but that being said, I'm not really losing sleep over this. I certainly don't buy into the "big brother is watching you" mantra. To me, it's just more fear mongering and I am 100% sure that if enacted, this law will not affect my life (or that of the vast majority of Canadians) one iota....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Upvote 1

LOL... this will not end well for NDP or the liberals. somehow conservatives just bundelt them all in a group... anyways safe supply is a temporary solution and NDP and the LIberals are playing with our children's lives by feeding them free drugs

3 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

LOL... this will not end well for NDP or the liberals. somehow conservatives just bundelt them all in a group... anyways safe supply is a temporary solution and NDP and the LIberals are playing with our children's lives by feeding them free drugs

imo the solution is to give addicts the compounds they actually want

hydromorphone isn't fent, and if that's what they want, of course they're going to sell it

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

imo the solution is to give addicts the compounds they actually want

hydromorphone isn't fent, and if that's what they want, of course they're going to sell it

giving drugs is not a solution... its a bandaid IMO

5 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

Pearl clutching nonsense meant to gin up the base. Much like Peters terror attack on the Rainbow bridge, perhaps these morons should wait for the facts first. 

Safe-supply drugs aren't being widely diverted: solicitor general

British Columbia's solicitor general says there's no evidence of widespread diversion of safe-supply opioids into the illegal drug market, after a recent seizure was cited by Alberta Premier Danielle Smith and Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre to criticize the provincial program.

Mike Farnworth says he's spoken to the RCMP's commanding officer in B.C. about the drug seizure in Prince George and was told the idea that there is widespread diversion is "simply not true."

He says Smith and Poilievre shouldn't have made claims about the seizure without waiting for all the information

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/safe-supply-drugs-aren-t-being-widely-diverted-solicitor-general-1.6364753

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, PeteyBOI said:

giving drugs is not a solution... its a bandaid IMO

drugs are never going away, nor are people with substance use disorders

there is no solution

the best thing to do is keep them sated so they're not destroying property and stabbing people, and to take away proceeds from organized crime

anyone who thinks addiction is ever going to be 'solved' is deluded

1 minute ago, PeteyBOI said:

i dont care where the drugs end up... the problem is that nothing permanent is being done to fix the issue... more housing, more help, more specialized work to rehabilitate these people

do we know that those ideas are a permanent solution? or are we talking about a problem with far deeper systemic and cultural causes? 

• Cheers 1

I'd rather provide free drugs for addicts than force them to commit rampant property crime to support their habit.  That's cheaper for the taxpayer in the long run.  I'd also rather that people who take drugs know what they're taking.  This reduces the strain on hospitals from treating overdoses.  We should be trying to find better solutions as well, but going back to a 1980s war on drugs mentality isn't one of them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather provide free drugs for addicts than force them to commit rampant property crime to support their habit.  That's cheaper for the taxpayer in the long run.  I'd also rather that people who take drugs know what they're taking.  This reduces the strain on hospitals from treating overdoses.  We should be trying to find better solutions as well, but going back to a 1980s war on drugs mentality isn't one of them.

we've layered on morality to substances. Booze? poor fellow, no jail time for him. Drugs? blame, prison, etc. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

do we know that those ideas are a permanent solution? or are we talking about a problem with far deeper systemic and cultural causes? 

its a start... getting more funding away from hospitals and keeping the addicts not clogging up the system.

more beds and help/staff/counselling away from the ER so others can get the emergency help/care they need