Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

2511 deaths in 2023

2300 in 2022
less in 2021 and so on…..

It’s been a mess and things are getting worse. 

Just take a walk down Hastings and tell me it’s working.   
It’s never been so dense and disgusting as it is right now.  

I think realistically, you have to realise those numbers would be worse had the government not done anything at all.

How about this?

If your argument is that the government's done nothing, I have no choice but to disagree because clearly they are trying things.

However, if your argument is that the government's not doing enough, then I can agree with that.

It's all about the argument you want to make in the end. If you make a statement that's clearly false, people are going to take it as such and debate back. If you make a statement that acknowledges there's at least an attempt but then show the numbers you just showed... you're going to get a lot more people on your side.

Edited by The Lock

24 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think realistically, you have to realise those numbers would be worse had the government not done anything at all.

How about this?

If your argument is that the government's done nothing, I have no choice but to disagree because clearly they are trying things.

However, if your argument is that the government's not doing enough, then I can agree with that.

It's all about the argument you want to make in the end. If you make a statement that's clearly false, people are going to take it as such and debate back. If you make a statement that acknowledges there's at least an attempt but then show the numbers you just showed... you're going to get a lot more people on your side.

My argument is they are clearly not doing enough, and they things they are doing is clearly not working as the number continues to rise.   

And I’m not trying to get people on my side.  We all make our own decisions.  
I understand my opinion on this can be viewed as an aggressive method. 
Im of the opinion that the soft approach hasn’t worked and it’s not going too. 

I made no false claims, and my numbers are from the gov website.  
Other countries in Europe have done similar with good results.  Website have been posted here to show that as true.   

5 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

My argument is they are clearly not doing enough, and they things they are doing is clearly not working as the number continues to rise.   

And I’m not trying to get people on my side.  We all make our own decisions.  
I understand my opinion on this can be viewed as an aggressive method. 
Im of the opinion that the soft approach hasn’t worked and it’s not going too. 

I made no false claims, and my numbers are from the gov website.  
Other countries in Europe have done similar with good results.  Website have been posted here to show that as true.   

Oh, I just can't escape from this....

Where has the hard approach worked?

What European countries are you referring to  (assuming 'similar' means a harder approach)?

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

As someone working in corrections I can tell you that rehab is a big part of the system these days.

ALOT of residents in our care and custody are addicts. There are also a lot of mental health issues that go hand in hand with the drug use. They closed down most of the psychiatric hospitals and have little support for addicts...so, they end up in prison. Today's drugs are not the same as some of the traditional addictions. In layman's terms, people say things like fentanyl 'punches holes in your brain ' over time. You never really rehab fully from some of these drugs, like you could from cocaine or heroin, you are changed for life.

I believe we have good frontline systems  however those systems are underfunded and thus understaffed.

The courts have to do their parts, they are far too lenient. They have to throw the book at re-offenders. Then, let us do our job properly and correct/rehabilitate these individuals for the safety of all of us. 

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/criminal-justice/corrections/reducing-reoffending/alternative-placements

BC Corrections is continually developing and adopting new approaches to support the individuals who are in our custody. At least 69% of the individuals under our supervision in correctional centres have been diagnosed with mental health or addictions needs, and 42% have been diagnosed with both.

Here's some more info on what we do.

I work on a 'Right Living' unit.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/criminal-justice/corrections/reducing-reoffending

I appreciate what you're dedicating yourself to these days. I couldn't do it.  I want to see people helped but I don't think I could be around it all day. 

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

1950's Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1960's Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1970's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1980's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1990's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

2000's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

2010-about 2015  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

2015- 2024   try something different,  more let's help these folk, and less 'let's put them in jail'

Yep 70 plus  years of doing it one way, and 9 year, max,  of trying a different thing.

2024   new plan not working--according to some folk,-most who have f all to do with the actual medical/addiction/law enforcement  field; so  let's go back to the old way of doing things.

I’m definitely not saying put people in prison. 
But I do believe a compulsory rehab, followed by housing, job security, and mandatory counseling/meetings is something that could work.  
Hold the folks there long enough to get them fully sober, then help set them up for success when they complete their treatment.  

IMO that would be more successful than decriminalization.  
Especially because we are falling so fucking short on the follow up things like housing, counseling, job support, etc……

Decriminalization is really just not giving them a hard time when doing drugs in the streets and hoping they will make the right choice at some point. 
But guess what.  They aren’t going too. 

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

1950's Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1960's Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1970's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1980's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

1990's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

2000's  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

2010-about 2015  Drugs bad, use them and go to jail--- didn't stop drug use

2015- 2024   try something different,  more let's help these folk, and less 'let's put them in jail'

Yep 70 plus  years of doing it one way, and 9 year, max,  of trying a different thing.

2024   new plan not working--according to some folk,-most who have f all to do with the actual medical/addiction/law enforcement  field; so  let's go back to the old way of doing things.

A lot of it comes from the mentality/philosophy of "familiar is reassuring" and "different is scary".  People are much less willing to patiently wait for "different" to prove itself as viable, but are much more forgiving when "familiar" continues with minimal results.

That's just the way humans generally are, unfortunately.

• Vintage 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/february-inflation-rate-slows-to-2-8-as-price-growth-unexpectedly-eases/ar-BB1k8Gmj?bncnt=BroadcastNews_BreakingNews&ocid=UCPNC2&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=e8fc468ba6ca4f13a940b5907dfafaa4&ei=13

"

OTTAWA — Canada’s annual inflation rate unexpectedly fell to 2.8 per cent last month, amid sharp declines in cellular and internet services as well as slower grocery price growth.

Statistics Canada released its February consumer price index report Tuesday, which shows price growth softened for a second consecutive month.

Economists were widely expecting Canada’s inflation rate to have risen above January’s 2.9 per cent, in part due to higher gasoline prices.

CIBC economist Katherine Judge called the report "unambiguously good news" in a client note. 

The federal agency says prices for wireless services were down 26.5 per cent and internet prices fell 13.2 per cent from a year ago.

Prices for food purchased at stores in February were up 2.4 per cent from a year ago, marking the first time prices grocery prices rose more slowly than overall inflation since October 2021.

However, that’s little relief to Canadians who continue to pay significantly higher prices for food than they did a few years ago. The federal agency says grocery prices increased 21.6 per cent between February 2021 and February 2024.

Meanwhile, housing costs continue to put upward pressure on inflation, with mortgage interest costs up 26.3 per cent and rent up 8.2 per cent annually.

Still, the report Tuesday is encouraging for the Bank of Canada, which is looking for more evidence that inflation is sustainably headed back to the country’s two per cent target before it moves to lower interest rates.

The central bank’s preferred core measures of inflation, which strip out volatility in prices, also fell last month.

Economists have been widely expecting the Bank of Canada to begin cutting its key interest rate in June.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 19, 2024.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/february-inflation-rate-slows-to-2-8-as-price-growth-unexpectedly-eases/ar-BB1k8Gmj?bncnt=BroadcastNews_BreakingNews&ocid=UCPNC2&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=e8fc468ba6ca4f13a940b5907dfafaa4&ei=13

"

OTTAWA — Canada’s annual inflation rate unexpectedly fell to 2.8 per cent last month, amid sharp declines in cellular and internet services as well as slower grocery price growth.

Statistics Canada released its February consumer price index report Tuesday, which shows price growth softened for a second consecutive month.

Economists were widely expecting Canada’s inflation rate to have risen above January’s 2.9 per cent, in part due to higher gasoline prices.

CIBC economist Katherine Judge called the report "unambiguously good news" in a client note. 

The federal agency says prices for wireless services were down 26.5 per cent and internet prices fell 13.2 per cent from a year ago.

Prices for food purchased at stores in February were up 2.4 per cent from a year ago, marking the first time prices grocery prices rose more slowly than overall inflation since October 2021.

However, that’s little relief to Canadians who continue to pay significantly higher prices for food than they did a few years ago. The federal agency says grocery prices increased 21.6 per cent between February 2021 and February 2024.

Meanwhile, housing costs continue to put upward pressure on inflation, with mortgage interest costs up 26.3 per cent and rent up 8.2 per cent annually.

Still, the report Tuesday is encouraging for the Bank of Canada, which is looking for more evidence that inflation is sustainably headed back to the country’s two per cent target before it moves to lower interest rates.

The central bank’s preferred core measures of inflation, which strip out volatility in prices, also fell last month.

Economists have been widely expecting the Bank of Canada to begin cutting its key interest rate in June.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 19, 2024.

What's this? Good news?

Nothing to do with Justin then.....carry on.....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Proof that maybe, just maybe, the inflation problems have a lot to do with greedy corporations.  

Na, it was always Trudopes fault.  /s

100%. Only Commies who love to whip it out in the girls bathroom at Elementary schools believe otherwise....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I can't help thinking about how Wilder's quote still stands to this day....

"These are the people of the land. The common clay. You know.....morons."

It's almost like Brooks was thinking of Alberta when he wrote the line.....

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

100%. Only Commies who love to whip it out in the girls bathroom at Elementary schools believe otherwise....

Did you hack the calendar on my phone? That was Thursday's itinerary...

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Every single thing in my life is vastly more expensive due to greedy corporations and absolutely nothing else! I learned a lot today 

Not everything surely..but food absolutely. Record profits, lower production costs and rising prices or shrinking sizes. Full on greed. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Every single thing in my life is vastly more expensive due to greedy corporations and absolutely nothing else! I learned a lot today 

Show me where the government controls the price of housing.  food.  goods.  private enterprise.

I'll wait.

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Not everything surely..but food absolutely. Record profits, lower production costs and rising prices or shrinking sizes. Full on greed. 

Some electronics are waay cheaper.

TV's, laptops, printers, etc...

Some basic clothing too if you dont mind places like Old Navy.

Now, how you're gonna afford a house to put your tv in and what you're going to eat...different story. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Show me where the government controls the price of housing.  food.  goods.  private enterprise.

I'll wait.

No you are right. The current government doesn't have any control over anything at all.

These big bad corporations just run our country right?

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

No you are right. The current government doesn't have any control over anything at all.

Isn't that the modus operandi of CONservatives?

Small government, less regulation, privatization, free market.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Isn't that the modus operandi of CONservatives?

Small government, less regulation, privatization, free market.

Trickle down economics at work:

image.gif.4b8ddd7aaa01a4e1b73ae16d95680953.gif

Edited by King Heffy

18 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You're not showing me anything to back your statement