Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I didn’t say that. The poverty line to live in Vancouver is $36k per year. Why is that?  Why do you need to make $36k just to be at the poverty line?  

CPP and OAS are at $2k per month. If you don’t have a company pension you are making even less than the poverty line in your retirement. 

This is not sustainable. Everyone knows this. But the government isn’t at fault for anything. That’s the running theme. Except the average person doesn’t actually believe that. 

Everyone's favourite topic: Housing. The circles we go through in this thread makes me dizzy.

Thankfully I left Vancouver behind nearly two years ago and haven't looked back.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yes, because he's a flat out liar 

Not sure what that even means? Nothing is static right now.

Probably. What I know right now is he's a liar when things don't matter to him being in power. Gives me pause.

The Cpc aren't fiscal conservatives.

I agree with all your responses. PP is doing whatever he can to convince the Country that he's the best at.....lying!

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You spent $50 on a car wash and are whining about government waste and inflation?

Think REALLY hard on how ironic that is

So now you spent $50 on a car wash and $60 on a steak but it's the Liberals wasting money?  

Those dinner parties you go to where everyone is magically an expert in the exact topic at hand must run in the tens of thousands

How much does it cost to buy soap for a car wash.  That's actually a good question as I don't know.

But as for why it cost $50 tow ash your car, that's easy.  You paid it.  I go to Wise Guys in Penticton and it costs me about $14 to pressure wash, high pressure soap, soap brush, high pressure rinse, spot free rinse and then vacuum my car out.

You know why it cost you $50 to wash your car?  Because you paid it.

The liberal government keeps spending your money!  They think it grows on trees and it can be replenished with a printing press in the back of a car wash that sells $60 steaks!  They have no clue what fiscal responsibility is as they pay $50 for a car wash and then moan about people making minimum wage.  They'd never cut it at one of my dinner parties

Total net debt of $2.1 Trillion federally AND PROVINCIALLY with an interest payment of $50 billion a year and it's ALL Trudeau's fault that this happened because he forced the provinces to spend this much and spent it all federally himself.

This country needs to be brought back to fiscal responsibility and the perfect guy to do it is an angry guy with a social religious bias who has never in his life paid a bill or taxes and somehow amassed over $10 million in personal wealth who managed to spend half a billion while housing minister to build less than 300 homes!

Me spending my own money on what I want has a zero correlation to the government throwing away my tax dollars. I earn my money. So I can do with it what I want. My spending habits have nothing to do with the guy down the block who can’t afford to buy a hamburger. 

The government taking all of our money via tax dollars and then throwing it away directly affects every citizen of this country. 

I never said PP was the perfect guy to turn this country around. But neither is Trudeau. So people can keep defending Trudeau all they want. It won’t matter in the long run. 

Too bad we don’t have an alternative. You know as well as I do Hippy that neither Trudeau nor PP are qualified for the job of Prime Minister. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do you really think the average person is dumb enough to believe that the REAL rate of inflation is only 2.8%? 

If you actually had a family with kids and were paying a mortgage you wouldn’t be calling me brainwashed. 

There's a nice boomer response.  "I'm older and lived in the real world so I'm smarter than you and your viewpoints/evidence are worthless"

As Ben Shapiro once said, facts don't care about your feelings.  Nor do they care about your individual situation.  Here are some facts for your ass:

cg240319a001-eng.png.a3ecfa76387e8b24068d03dc0b033392.pngcg240319a002-eng.png.acae2e8e2c533e6b30b1093e11927d1a.png

cg240319a003-eng.png.ba60b09b435970c9c1caebe1ff1bee78.png

They are real, they are accurate, and if they don't match with what you believe, then that's just too bad.  You don't get to come here and peddle false information while dismissing cold, hard statistics.  Well... I guess you can, but you're just gonna make yourself look like a complete clown doing so.  You're welcome to try and break these statistics down (ie. housing still being the primary driver of inflation), but you don't get to dismiss them outright.  You just don't.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

There's a nice boomer response.  "I'm older and lived in the real world so I'm smarter than you and your viewpoints/evidence are worthless"

As Ben Shapiro once said, facts don't care about your feelings.  Nor do they care about your individual situation.  Here are some facts for your ass:

cg240319a001-eng.png.a3ecfa76387e8b24068d03dc0b033392.pngcg240319a002-eng.png.acae2e8e2c533e6b30b1093e11927d1a.png

They are real, they are accurate, and if they don't match with what you believe, then that's just too bad.  You don't get to come here and peddle false information while dismissing cold, hard statistics.  Well... I guess you can, but you're just gonna make yourself look like a complete clown doing so.  You're welcome to try and break these statistics down (ie. housing still being the primary driver of inflation), but you don't get to dismiss them outright.  You just don't.

So you come here with statistics from a bunch of economists and then try and convince me the real rate of inflation is only 2.8%?  You mean the same statistics that have been manipulated for the last 40+ years?  

What information am I peddling that’s false?  Do you even understand what real inflation is?  It’s the cost you are paying in real life to live. I’ve shown several real life examples of that. But the Trudeau apologists always try to diminish those numbers. 

The average person in real life has to pay $3000 to rent a one bedroom condo in the city. They have to pay $21 for a burger and fries at five guys. They go shopping at Safeway and with $100 spent they come out of the store with one small bag. Going to McDonald’s with the family is now considered a luxury expense. 

But you want me to believe that the real rate of inflation is only 2.8% because that is what the economists told you?  

And for the record I’m not even a boomer. I’m a millennial. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you come here with statistics from a bunch of economists and then try and convince me the real rate of inflation is only 2.8%?  You mean the same statistics that have been manipulated for the last 40+ years?  

What information am I peddling that’s false?  Do you even understand what real inflation is?  It’s the cost you are paying in real life to live. I’ve shown several real life examples of that. But the Trudeau apologists always try to diminish those numbers. 

The average person in real life has to pay $3000 to rent a one bedroom condo in the city. They have to pay $21 for a burger and fries at five guys. They go shopping at Safeway and with $100 spent they come out of the store with one small bag. Going to McDonald’s with the family is now considered a luxury expense. 

But you want me to believe that the real rate of inflation is only 2.8% because that is what the economists told you?  

Five Guys was close to $20 pre covid for a combo....  Because your car wash went up $20 over FOUR YEARS doesn't mean jack shit to a changing inflation rate. It changes man. You're not making any valid arguments to counter a decreasing inflation rate...

EDIT: Sidenote...I hate how kids these days are misusing boomer to label anyone over 30... Not you EP but just in general. Im Gen X...my parents are boomers FFS and I am 45...

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

These charts are pretty cute until you enter reality 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

When I was involved I didn’t see much of the social conservatives. They existed but not particularly vocal. In my riding. Fiscal restraint will be a big deal if social spending is cut. PP will have to have a very open process for how those decisions are made. Jimmy made a fair comment that conservative governments have not been particularly good at fiscal restraint. I would argue better than the Liberals but still not stellar. Bottom line is the process has to be open with a full discussion of the pros and cons of spending increases and cuts. A reviewable process for evaluating results that all can understand. 

I hope I'm wrong (re: which faction of that party really holds the power in that party). 

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Try to find out if he has kids, I think he has stopped repsonding to my cold water. He was complaining to all us dummies last page about the struggles with kids and a mortgage, but this page bragging about he spends his money again. Steaks, caviar and car washes!

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I have read several of your posts...which hallucinogens are you taking to enter this reality you live in? 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Try to find out if he has kids, I think he has stopped repsonding to my cold water. He was complaining to all us dummies last page about the struggles with kids and a mortgage, but this page bragging about he spends his money again. Steaks, caviar and car washes!

$50 car washes! Cost me $25 for the expensive one for the work van this week....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

$50 car washes! Cost me $25 for the expensive one for the work van this week....

Usually $12 total for me.

Coin operated, $4 bucks for 5 mins...

My rides are too nice to take through the big machines.

I used to get these guys to do it when I lived in Van and was feeling lazy, was about $25 back then. Now it's $32 if you want a team of folks to get it done by hand. 

https://www.mjcarwash.com/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Things are expensive and it sounds like you don't like that anymore than I do.  But do we really have to discus how the inflation rate is calculated and what it means?

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So called "average family with kids" can just have the kids do it.

I wouldn't trust a child to wash my motorbikes or a nice car honestly. 

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It might be different for people elsewhere, but for me in Ontario grocery prices have definitely shot up more than that in the last year. Easy to see when items under $5 increase by a dollar or more. Do that on every item and it adds up quickly. Meanwhile other items like baby formula doubled from $30 to $60.

What's even more bizarre about it is one of my local supermarkets turned a net loss last year, due to how much produce they had to throw away. Yet they feel obligated to overstock since that's what the average shopper wants to see.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why are you bringing up rent prices when you just told me that you paying a mortgage gives credence to whatever you're trying to say?  Am I not living in the real world just because I don't have the same life situation as you?

Here's something for you: I went to buy some groceries last night and realized the price of fruit... is the exact same as it's always been.  Bananas are still 69 cents/pound.  Nice.  They were actually the same price as when I was a teenager, which means the real price has gotten cheaper over the years.  A block of tofu?  Still 3 bucks.  A tub of kimchi?  Still 10 bucks.  A 5-pack of Shin Ramyun?  Still 5 bucks.  A can of tuna?  Still 1 dollar.  I'm probably getting more out of my money buying my groceries than I was in the past.  Are you going to accuse me of manipulating the numbers too?

One thing that has definitely skyrocketed in price: rice.  But does it make me a Trudeau apologist if I attempt to point out the fact that the cost of rice is tied to whatever's happening in the global market and has absolutely nothing to do with Ottawa? 

Something that also skyrocketed in price was my favourite snack - a McDouble burger.  It has tripled in price over the past decade.  This is... Trudeau's fault?  Am I Trudeau apologist when I point out the price of a Big Mac has been jacked up across the entire globe?  Or when I point out the fact that countries like South Korea/Russia have experienced major housing inflation despite zero/negative immigration?  Does that make me a Trudeau apologist?

For what it's worth, I just bought 4 NY strip steaks at Safeway for $20.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the sale.  The fact that found a great deal doesn't make a Trudeau apologist, nor does it change the fact that an average basket of goods in Canada has risen 2.8%.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Meanwhile other items like baby formula doubled from $30 to $60.

That is nuts.

i remember the stories about baby formular last year, claiming shortages etc..

13 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I have read several of your posts...which hallucinogens are you taking to enter this reality you live in? 

Clearly the same ones as the people who think inflation is 2.8%

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

16 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Your reality is r/CanadaHousing2.  Would I be wrong to suggest you also lurk on r/canada_sub?  Is that what "reality" looks like to you?

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I didn’t say that. The poverty line to live in Vancouver is $36k per year. Why is that?  Why do you need to make $36k just to be at the poverty line?  

CPP and OAS are at $2k per month. If you don’t have a company pension you are making even less than the poverty line in your retirement. 

This is not sustainable. Everyone knows this. But the government isn’t at fault for anything. That’s the running theme. Except the average person doesn’t actually believe that. 

Because the days of being able to buy a home on a single modest salary went out with the 70s. Because corporations were allowed to set prices that people grumbled about but there was no real pushback; folks just sucked it up and paid because there were no viable options. Because those same corporations contribute massive amounts of money to politicians and the politicians know that money disappears if they actually pass real regulations. Because everything is more expensive. That's a natural side-effect of living on a planet with finite resources, and no real way to replenish them. Because if a company can buy something for $5 and get someone to spend $50 on it then there's no need for them to try and figure out how to make it cheaper. Same with housing - if I charge $3000 for a one bedroom but people are lined up to take it why would I ask for less?