Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

I think the fact that businesses are having to pay staff much high wages is going to make getting to the target 2% inflation difficult. Those costs end up getting passed on the the consumer (ie. us). But using mortgage rates as a gauge of inflation, and comparing current rates to the near 0 rates of the past, is being a little disingenuous. The interest rates are elevated in an effort to get inflation back down to 2%, this is going to hit mortgages hard and I'll be surprised if they get down to pre 2022 levels any time soon.

How much is this Trudeau's fault? I don't know. I'm not sure it would have been much different under a different government.

• Vintage 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

That is nuts.

i remember the stories about baby formular last year, claiming shortages etc..

There were also recalls from contamination. Something that should have been a bigger story imo.

But yes, it was a ridiculous price hike for an item that's mandatory for a lot of parents. Thankfully I only needed to buy it a couple times at the increased price before my kid no longer needed it. Others aren't as lucky though.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Try to find out if he has kids, I think he has stopped repsonding to my cold water. He was complaining to all us dummies last page about the struggles with kids and a mortgage, but this page bragging about he spends his money again. Steaks, caviar and car washes!

Talk about unrelatable.  Here I am bragging about still being able to get cans of tuna for the same price as before.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Your reality is r/CanadaHousing2.  Would I be wrong to suggest you also lurk on r/canada_sub?  Is that what "reality" looks like to you?

Assumptions and generalizations seem to be quite the specialty from the ever soo tolerant and accepting liberals.

My reality is grocery prices have basically doubled. Gas has gone up by almost a $1. Rents are getting insane. Interest rates also pretty high right now. Local businesses where I live have been closing left, right and center. But do go on about how everything is sunshine and lolipops

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Assumptions and generalizations seem to be quite the specialty from the ever soo tolerant and accepting liberals.

My reality is grocery prices have basically doubled. Gas has gone up by almost a $1. Rents are getting insane. Interest rates also pretty high right now. Local businesses where I live have been closing left, right and center. But do go on about how everything is sunshine and lolipops

Interest rates are only high compared to an extended period of historically low rates.  There was literally only one direction they could go.  My parents lived through 20% mortgage rates. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You're here posting shit from r/CanadaHousing2, one of the most uninformed Canadian subreddits out there.  You posted it, not me.

My grocery prices have not doubled.  Why?  Or better yet, you think Justin Trudeau controls the prices of groceries in this country?

Gas prices are going up because OIL has gone up.  Who controls the price of oil?

Interest rates are high right now.  Who controls the interest rates in this country?  The Liberals??

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You're here posting shit from r/CanadaHousing2, one of the most uninformed Canadian subreddits out there.  You posted it, not me.

My grocery prices have not doubled.  Why?  Or better yet, you think Justin Trudeau controls the prices of groceries in this country?

Gas prices are going up because OIL has gone up.  Who controls the price of oil?

Interest rates are high right now.  Who controls the interest rates in this country?  The Liberals??

Huh? Are you on drugs? That picture is easily sourced from anywhere on the web. Trying to source it back to a sub Reddit as the only place to source it is beyond disengenerious 

Basically everything in the grocery store has gone up in price, so I'm not buying that for a second unless you changed your shopping habits due to all the rising costs

The cost of a barrel of oil isn't much higher than it was in 2018 and yet gas is more than $1 higher. So I don't see how that tracks 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Huh? Are you on drugs? That picture is easily sourced from anywhere on the web. Trying to source it back to a sub Reddit is beyond disengenerious 

Basically everything in the grocery store has gone up in price, so I'm not buying that for a second unless you changed your shopping habits due to all the rising costs

The cost of a barrel of oil isn't much higher than it was in 2018 and yet gas is more than $1 higher. So I don't see how that tracks 

You posted a picture with a big watermark on it.  That's on you for picking that photo.  Typically the only way to do that is to pull it straight from reddit.

As for grocery habits, you tell me.  I'm not white.  The price of my groceries has been relatively stagnant over the past decade.  Tofu is a similar price as before.  Kimchi is a similar price as before.  Cans of Spam/Tuna are similar prices as before.  Bananas are the same price as before.  Green onions are actually cheaper - I bought 5 bundles for a dollar and they have sales like that all year long.  I just bought a 4-pack of NY strip steaks for $20.

But you're right - I have changed my eating practices.  I don't eat fast food anymore.  After all, it's Justin Trudeau's fault McDonald's jacked up their prices.  Across the world.  

I'm going to readily admit that I don't have an economics or finance degree and that a lot of the talk concerning responsibility for the cost of living goes over my head. Could anyone explain the casual link between the Liberal government and the cost of living for me? Inflation, as I would have expected, became a world-wide problem after the pandemic - and I'm not sure how to pin that on the current government. It was an unprecedented time for the country; how could Trudeau and his peers have better handled the situation?

Independent grocers gauging consumers with higher prices and smaller portions is something I don't think Trudeau can be held responsible for. It seems largely outside of his purview for me. The government doesn't own Loblaws, Pattison's companies, etc.. Are people suggesting he take direct action to influence and set the price of a frozen pizza? I guess I'm just trying to understand how governments, rather than the free market, directly affect prices for consumers.

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, 112 said:

I'm going to readily admit that I don't have an economics or finance degree and that a lot of the talk concerning responsibility for the cost of living goes over my head. Could anyone explain the casual link between the Liberal government and the cost of living for me? Inflation, as I would have expected, became a world-wide problem after the pandemic - and I'm not sure how to pin that on the current government. It was an unprecedented time for the country; how could Trudeau and his peers have better handled the situation?

Independent grocers gauging consumers with higher prices and smaller portions is something I don't think Trudeau can be held responsible for. It seems largely outside of his purview for me. The government doesn't own Loblaws, Pattison's companies, etc.. Are people suggesting he take direct action to influence and set the price of a frozen pizza? I guess I'm just trying to understand how governments, rather than the free market, directly affect prices for consumers.

UK chocolate shrinkflation: Justin's fault.

Why 'shrinkflation' means you are paying the same for less

38 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You posted a picture with a big watermark on it.  That's on you for picking that photo.  Typically the only way to do that is to pull it straight from reddit.

As for grocery habits, you tell me.  I'm not white.  The price of my groceries has been relatively stagnant over the past decade.  Tofu is a similar price as before.  Kimchi is a similar price as before.  Cans of Spam/Tuna are similar prices as before.  Bananas are the same price as before.  Green onions are actually cheaper - I bought 5 bundles for a dollar and they have sales like that all year long.  I just bought a 4-pack of NY strip steaks for $20.

But you're right - I have changed my eating practices.  I don't eat fast food anymore.  After all, it's Justin Trudeau's fault McDonald's jacked up their prices.  Across the world.  

You are the one focusing on the watermark, not I.

I kinda figured, considering the name and the profile picture of who I am assuming is Dumbfounded. Not sure how that's relevant as I eat and purchase most of the things you listed. I'll give you bananas. Those have stayed basically the same price as have a couple other produce items. But you are cherry picking very specific examples. Most foods and goods have gone up at least a little if not considerably. 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

There's nothing to prove? The government isn't responsible for anything remember? All these high costs for everything are just out of their control and we are just meant to pull up our bootstraps right?

I know you think your flippant attitude is cute

But all you have to do is prove that the government controls the price of food, fuel, housing and goods.

It's so obvious that they control it that it should be easy to prove.

But you haven't.  There's a very clear reason why you haven't and it's not going to look good for you when it's stated out loud why

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Too bad we don’t have an alternative. You know as well as I do Hippy that neither Trudeau nor PP are qualified for the job of Prime Minister. 

You know very well you won't hear or see me arguing this 

We need a total government reset and have for almost 2 full decades.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Five Guys was close to $20 pre covid for a combo....  Because your car wash went up $20 over FOUR YEARS doesn't mean jack shit to a changing inflation rate. It changes man. You're not making any valid arguments to counter a decreasing inflation rate...

EDIT: Sidenote...I hate how kids these days are misusing boomer to label anyone over 30... Not you EP but just in general. Im Gen X...my parents are boomers FFS and I am 45...

Haha. I’m actually generation X. For some reason I got confused with the dates and thought millennials were after boomers. 

5 hours ago, 112 said:

it's the same thing with Falcon provincially. "... because unlike Eby, I have a plan to fix BC". Well, what's the plan? We'd be better served if the running idea was not to stir up outrage about every little thing. This goes for every party in some capacity, but the Conservatives are the biggest abusers of it imo.

When the average person's political consumption comes down to the attack ads they witness on TV, it doesn't do the country any favours to just spend the entire ad lambasting the other guys without explaining what you'd do differently.

Exactly what I think every time that ad comes on...."Okay. What's the plan?"

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My reality is grocery prices have basically doubled.

Gas has gone up by almost a $1.

Rents are getting insane.

Interest rates also pretty high right now.

Assumptions and generalizations.  But all of this is the fault of the government.

So since I broke it up I'll ask again.

Who controls grocery prices and sizes?  The government or the corporations who make the food and distribute it?

Gas has gone up by a dollar?  It was at a high of $1.54 in 2014 but it's not $1.62.  Who controls the price of and distribution of gas and fuel?

Rents are getting insane?  The price of a 1 bedroom in Victoria was around $1900-$2100 in 2014.  Who controls the price of rent and housing?

Interest rates are higher?  Is that in Canada or globally?  How much do banks and the prices of food, fuel and housing have on interest rates?

So for the 7th time.  I'll ask you, who controls the prices of all that?  The government, or corporations?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 112 said:

it's the same thing with Falcon provincially. "... because unlike Eby, I have a plan to fix BC". Well, what's the plan? We'd be better served if the running idea was not to stir up outrage about every little thing. This goes for every party in some capacity, but the Conservatives are the biggest abusers of it imo.

When the average person's political consumption comes down to the attack ads they witness on TV, it doesn't do the country any favours to just spend the entire ad lambasting the other guys without explaining what you'd do differently.

I can’t press the mute button fast enough when that Falcon ad comes on. Talk about your plan and I have all kinds of time to hear you out. STFU if all you have to offer is rage bait.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Huh? Are you on drugs? That picture is easily sourced from anywhere on the web. Trying to source it back to a sub Reddit as the only place to source it is beyond disengenerious 

The fact you don't see how this proves that almost everything is tied back to corporate greed is astonishing.

Is what I'd say if your whole schtick wasn't so predictable 

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I can’t press the mute button fast enough when that Falcon ad comes on. Talk about your plan and I have all kinds of time to hear you out. STFU if all you have to offer is rage bait.

I am so over hearing 'I can solve this' ads with no substance from that loser on youtube. I straight up want to throat punch him for all the ads I have been forced to endure watching documentaries on youtube almost as much as I want to burn down the Manscape factory....non stop spam from those two on there....but fuck if I am paying google to remove ads. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I hope I'm wrong (re: which faction of that party really holds the power in that party). 

I think you start with PP since he dominates the party. He is the focal point. Who is his inner circle? I don’t see a lot of social conservatives vibes. More a desire t for reversion to mean. More stability in all aspects of society. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Taxi lobby was *VERY* smart in BC in past history.  Donated to *BOTH* parties (left & right) to my knowledge.   

The big Canadian firms that are a major part of pension plans can get away with a lot. Cough, Rogers.

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

I am so over hearing 'I can solve this' ads with no substance from that loser on youtube. I straight up want to throat punch him for all the ads I have been forced to endure watching documentaries on youtube almost as much as I want to burn down the Manscape factory....non stop spam from those two on there....but fuck if I am paying google to remove ads. 

Adblockers are a thing 😉