Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you start with PP since he dominates the party. He is the focal point. Who is his inner circle? I don’t see a lot of social conservatives vibes. More a desire t for reversion to mean. More stability in all aspects of society. 

I think Poilievre's comments on transgender individuals are quite socially conservative.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Assumptions and generalizations seem to be quite the specialty from the ever soo tolerant and accepting liberals.

My reality is grocery prices have basically doubled. Gas has gone up by almost a $1. Rents are getting insane. Interest rates also pretty high right now. Local businesses where I live have been closing left, right and center. But do go on about how everything is sunshine and lolipops

You will get a lot of tolerance from liberals if you leave people alone to live their lives. Social cons cry about freedom but want to set limits for others.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Assumptions and generalizations.  But all of this is the fault of the government.

So since I broke it up I'll ask again.

Who controls grocery prices and sizes?  The government or the corporations who make the food and distribute it?

Gas has gone up by a dollar?  It was at a high of $1.54 in 2014 but it's not $1.62.  Who controls the price of and distribution of gas and fuel?

Rents are getting insane?  The price of a 1 bedroom in Victoria was around $1900-$2100 in 2014.  Who controls the price of rent and housing?

Interest rates are higher?  Is that in Canada or globally?  How much do banks and the prices of food, fuel and housing have on interest rates?

So for the 7th time.  I'll ask you, who controls the prices of all that?  The government, or corporations?

So every grocery store raised their prices in the last 4 years. Are you suggesting there is some sort of price fixing going on? If you then why hasn't the government stepped in?

So that was a high. The average gas price that year was $1.28. Gas is $1.98 where I live now

That's just a full blown lie as I have moved a couple times post 2014 and I paid $1250 for re a 1 bedroom pre COVID. Place I moved to in 2021 was $1600. Rents have exploded since 2022

Clearly the government has no control over anything, so you are correct about that

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Try to find out if he has kids, I think he has stopped repsonding to my cold water. He was complaining to all us dummies last page about the struggles with kids and a mortgage, but this page bragging about he spends his money again. Steaks, caviar and car washes!

One of the things I've brought up several times is how the Trudeau bashers whine about "fiscal responsibility" and "too much spending" and then a few posts later, complain that he hasn't fixed the housing shortage....:classic_rolleyes:

It just becomes a case of looking for something to complain about.

The whole "statistics are fake" routine is fairly new though. Any port in a storm, I guess.....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I wouldn't trust a child to wash my motorbikes or a nice car honestly. 

I have a nice car so I go to a place I trust. It’s $50 all in for the outside and inside.  The $50 includes the tip. I go there because me personally I can afford it and I like to support their business so they don’t go bankrupt. But that doesn’t mean I have to agree with the pricing and cannot point out how expensive it is. I can do what I want with my money. On the other hand the federal government doesn’t have that luxury. They are spending other people’s money. And need to be fiscally responsible. I spend within my own limits. I didn’t rack up a $2.1 trillion debt like the federal government did. 

Maybe we should all just get our kids to wash our cars for $5. And instead of going out to eat we should all stay home and cook. Then all the car wash businesses as well as all of the restaurants would go bankrupt and shut down. And all those thousands of people will be out of work. That’s a much better solution to the problem right?

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So every grocery store raised their prices in the last 4 years. Are you suggesting there is some sort of price fixing going on? If you then why hasn't the government stepped in?

So that was a high. The average gas price that year was $1.28. Gas is $1.98 where I live now

That's just a full blown lie as I have moved a couple times post 2014 and I paid $1250 for re a 1 bedroom pre COVID. Place I moved to in 2021 was $1600. Rents have exploded since 2022

Clearly the government has no control over anything, so you are correct about that

Is Poilievre going to control fuel prices? Yes or no.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'd completely support some kind of intervention for price gouging, including prison time for the executives responsible.  That gets accomplished by moving the government further to the left, not by electing vermin like Poilivre.

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The fact you don't see how this proves that almost everything is tied back to corporate greed is astonishing.

Is what I'd say if your whole schtick wasn't so predictable 

The poster I was responding to was saying gas is more due to the price of oil. Maybe you should be telling them that?

Just now, Gnarcore said:

They are..but they've figured out how to not play with them on....

ublock origin seems to have it figured out

it's always a 'cat and mouse' thing, but i've been using ublock without problems for well over a month now

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Are you suggesting there is some sort of price fixing going on? If you then why hasn't the government stepped in?

I thought they found out that there was...bread, plus more.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/price-fixing-at-canadas-grocery-stores-is-bigger-than-just-bread

i also thought the gov was looking into it. though I dont think they have done enough...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freeland-champagne-grocery-ceos-meeting-1.6970207

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-ottawa-introducing-changes-to-competition-act-summoning-grocery/

or were you bieng silly?

1 minute ago, 112 said:

ublock origin seems to have it figured out

it's always a 'cat and mouse' thing, but i've been using ublock without problems for well over a month now

Thx...will check it out! The few I tried didn't work 😉 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I have a nice car so I go to a place I trust. It’s $50 all in for the outside and inside.  The $50 includes the tip. I go there because me personally I can afford it and I like to support their business so they don’t go bankrupt. But that doesn’t mean I have to agree with the pricing and cannot point out how expensive it is. I can do what I want with my money. On the other hand the federal government doesn’t have that luxury. They are spending other people’s money. And need to be fiscally responsible. I spend within my own limits. I didn’t rack up a $2.1 trillion debt like the federal government did. 

Maybe we should all just get our kids to wash our cars for $5. And instead of going out to eat we should all stay home and cook. Then all the car wash businesses as well as all of the restaurants would go bankrupt and shut down. And all those thousands of people will be out of work. That’s a much better solution to the problem right?

Do you have kids?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Governments need to be careful with this stuff.

If all they do is fine the price gouging company, the company will then raise the price of stuff, so the customers pay the fine.

customer got screwed by paying the higher price, and then screwed again, by having to pay for high food costs to cover the fine money.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Governments need to be careful with this stuff.

If all they do is fine the price gouging company, the company will then raise the price of stuff, so the customers pay the fine.

customer got screwed by paying the higher price, and then screwed again, by having to pay for high food costs to cover the fine money.

Exactly.  That's why I suggested prison time for the executives responsible, and not in Club Fed.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd completely support some kind of intervention for price gouging, including prison time for the executives responsible.  That gets accomplished by moving the government further to the left, not by electing vermin like Poilivre.

You mean like the government that gave the bread price fixing companies a slap on the wrist?...

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm being dead serious 

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Might take a while - he's on the end of the first page of a 3 page answer to your calculus question.  :classic_rolleyes:

Nice callback.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

You mean like the government that gave the bread price fixing companies a slap on the wrist?...

Well I don't think the solution is coming from a party that thinks less government intervention is needed.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm being dead serious 

Ok. As you can see there was indeed some noise about price fixing.

The grocery store model is F'd. We need way more venders on the shelves.

I am always hoping for people to shoplocal and smaller businesses as much as possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You are the one focusing on the watermark, not I.

I kinda figured, considering the name and the profile picture of who I am assuming is Dumbfounded. Not sure how that's relevant as I eat and purchase most of the things you listed. I'll give you bananas. Those have stayed basically the same price as have a couple other produce items. But you are cherry picking very specific examples. Most foods and goods have gone up at least a little if not considerably. 

You are the one focusing on something completely irrelevant to the needs of everyday Canadians - politicians' personal histories.  Blackface Trudeau has absolutely nothing to do with you and me.  Nothing.  His party's policies do.  I don't give a flying fuck about Poilievre being a career politician either (but I do want him to STFU about other Trudeau's teaching history).

I am not cherry-picking when I say I buy tofu and kimchi.  That's what I eat.  Those are staples of my diet, just like eggs and milk are the staples of others here.  Predictably, I also eat a ton of rice, a staple in which prices have skyrocketed in the past year.  Do you honestly believe anyone in this country blames Justin Trudeau for that?  Tell me - can you think of any reason why rice has increased in price?  

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So tell me, Ricky.  Do you want the government to step in and implement price controls on rent and groceries?  Is that honestly what you'd expect Pierre Poilievre to do if his party takes power?  That type of policy is the LAST thing PP's Conservatives would even consider doing.  To make matters worse, Poilievre's political advisors lobbied for Loblaws, and that caused some scuffles a month ago.  Poilievre has since shut his mouth about grocery prices.

In any case, you're still dancing around my question - Who dictates the price of a McDonald's cheeseburger?  Is it the Canadian government?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ok. As you can see there was indeed some noise about price fixing.

The grocery store model is F'd. We need way more venders on the shelves.

I am always hoping for people to shoplocal and smaller businesses as much as possible.

When almost every grocery store is owned by the same 4 companies, whose CEOs are members of the same country clubs…the grocery store model is definitely F’d.

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 3