Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ok. As you can see there was indeed some noise about price fixing.

The grocery store model is F'd. We need way more venders on the shelves.

I am always hoping for people to shoplocal and smaller businesses as much as possible.

That %100. I agree with shopping local when you can but it gets pricey 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You are the one focusing on something completely irrelevant to the needs of everyday Canadians - politicians' personal histories.  Blackface Trudeau has absolutely nothing to do with you and me.  Nothing.  His party's policies do.  I don't give a flying fuck about Poilievre being a career politician either (but I do want him to STFU about other Trudeau's teaching history).

I am not cherry-picking when I say I buy tofu and kimchi.  That's what I eat.  Those are staples of my diet, just like eggs and milk are the staples of others here.  Predictably, I also eat a ton of rice, a staple in which prices have skyrocketed in the past year.  Do you honestly believe anyone in this country blames Justin Trudeau for that?  Tell me - can you think of any reason why rice has increased in price?  

So tell me, Ricky.  Do you want the government to step in and implement price controls on rent and groceries?  Is that honestly what you'd expect Pierre Poilievre to do if his party takes power?  That type of policy is the LAST thing PP's Conservatives would even consider doing.  To make matters worse, Poilievre's political advisors lobbied for Loblaws, and that caused some scuffles a month ago.  Poilievre has since shut his mouth about grocery prices.

In any case, you're still dancing around my question - Who dictates the price of a McDonald's cheeseburger?  Is it the Canadian government?

So we just gonna ignore why I posted that photo in the first place? Cool 

Your diet being different than the average white folk on this board isn't what I was referring to as cherry picking examples. The fact is most items in the grocery store have gone up in price. 

What I would like is more competition. It's no different than our horrible telecommunications choices. If we can't get that, then these giant companies need to be broken up. I'm sure the government has the power to facilitate something like that

What the hell you going on about McDonald's for. I literally couldn't care less about how much a cheese burger costs.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The irony of people arguing for more government intervention while suggesting Poilivre will be an improvement is baffling.

Aren’t they arguing for democratic social programs? PP, isn’t that!

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The irony of people arguing for more government intervention while suggesting Poilivre will be an improvement is baffling.

Suggesting things are going to get better under Trudeau when he has had 4 years to get food costs under control is equally baffling 

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Suggesting things are going to get better under Trudeau when he has had 4 years to get food costs under control is equally baffling 

So the NDP is the logical conclusion.  You're supporting someone who's planning on implementing policies that will make the problem worse.  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So we just gonna ignore why I posted that photo in the first place? Cool 

Your diet being different than the average white folk on this board isn't what I was referring to as cherry picking examples. The fact is most items in the grocery store have gone up in price. 

What I would like is more competition. It's no different than our horrible telecommunications choices. If we can't get that, then these giant companies need to be broken up. I'm sure the government has the power to facilitate something like that

What the hell you going on about McDonald's for. I literally couldn't care less about how much a cheese burger costs.

The price of fast food has gone up not because of Justin Trudeau.  The price of various groceries have not gone up because of Justin Trudeau.  And I'm not cherry-picking - I just paid 30% more for my bags of rice.  That's because of what's happening in the GLOBAL MARKET.  India was banning rice exports and it led to higher global prices.  It's actually quite insulting of you to suggest that's cherry-picking - any Korean is gonna eat a shit ton of kimchi, tofu and rice.  Some prices have gone up, others haven't.  I don't blame/credit the federal government for any price fluctuations.  BC's grape crops got fucked from the cold snap in January.  You think the wine-drinkers should be blaming Trudeau when prices go up in the summer?

You are suggesting the federal government break up the big grocery conglomerates in this country.  You don't think anyone has ever thought of that before?  Or better yet - you're gonna blame Justin Trudeau whenever the Loblaws jacks up the price of flour?  Or when Rogers jacks up your internet?  What exactly do you think the government can do to break up big business, and why on earth do you think Pierre Poilievre and the Conservative party would have any interest in doing so?  Is that what you think PP has been campaigning?  To break up big business?

As an aside, wireless prices HAVE dropped a considerable amount since last year.  Almost everyone I know switched to a cheaper plan with more data.  Had you actually read those Statscan numbers I posted a while back, you would've noticed that.  That is the result of Trudeau's Liberals and the CRTC actually putting pressure on Rogers/Telus/Bell.  Could he have done more?  Yes.  But that was a Liberal initiative in which we have seen some windfalls.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So the NDP is the logical conclusion.  You're supporting someone who's planning on implementing policies that will make the problem worse.  

I would be more willing to listen to that if they weren't propping up a failed government. That just tells me they are going to be more of the same

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Suggesting Poilievre's Conservatives (the only realistic alternative to Trudeau's Liberals) will break up big business isn't baffling - it's just stupid thinking.

Whose advisor lobbies for the biggest grocery corporation in Canada?  Hint: it's not Justin Trudeau.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Why do you say 4 years?

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The price of fast food has gone up not because of Justin Trudeau.  The price of various groceries have not gone up because of Justin Trudeau.  And I'm not cherry-picking - I just paid 30% more for my bags of rice.  That's because of what's happening in the GLOBAL MARKET.  India was banning rice exports and it led to higher global prices.  It's actually quite insulting of you to suggest that's cherry-picking - any Korean is gonna eat a shit ton of kimchi, tofu and rice.  Some prices have gone up, others haven't.  I don't blame/credit the federal government for any price fluctuations.  BC's grape crops got fucked from the cold snap in January.  You think the wine-drinkers should be blaming Trudeau when prices go up in the summer?

You are suggesting the federal government break up the big grocery conglomerates in this country.  You don't think anyone has ever thought of that before?  Or better yet - you're gonna blame Justin Trudeau whenever the Loblaws jacks up the price of flour?  Or when Rogers jacks up your internet?  What exactly do you think the government can do to break up big business, and why on earth do you think Pierre Poilievre and the Conservative party would have any interest in doing so?  Is that what you think PP has been campaigning?  To break up big business?

As an aside, wireless prices HAVE dropped a considerable amount since last year.  Almost everyone I know switched to a cheaper plan with more data.  Had you actually read those Statscan numbers I posted a while back, you would've noticed that.  That is the result of Trudeau's Liberals and the CRTC actually putting pressure on Rogers/Telus/Bell.  Could he have done more?  Yes.  But that was a Liberal initiative in which we have seen some windfalls.

I'm going to keep blaming him as long as he continues to do nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm going to keep blaming him as long as he continues to do nothing. 

While promoting someone who is going to do something that is the exact opposite of what you yourself propose as a solution.  This is the equivalent of the OEL trade to fix cap issues.

Edited by King Heffy

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Suggesting Poilievre's Conservatives (the only realistic alternative to Trudeau's Liberals) will break up big business isn't baffling - it's just stupid thinking.

Whose advisor lobbies for the biggest grocery corporation in Canada?  Hint: it's not Justin Trudeau.

You know what's stupid thinking? Believing that the guy who's ran the country for almost 8 years and has allowed this to get out of hand like it has is going to be the savior 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

While promoting someone who is going to do something that is the exact opposite of what you yourself propose as a solution.  This is the equivalent of the OEL trade to fix cap issues.

Well untill another party can offer up something worthwhile, this is the circle we are stuck in. I'm not interested in a Justin Trudeau solution as he has clearly proved he has none. Will it be the same with PP? Quite possibly but I'm not willing to continue down this current path with Trudeau any longer 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You know what's stupid thinking? Believing that the guy who's ran the country for almost 8 years and has allowed this to get out of hand like it has is going to be the savior 

Know of any other countries in the world that are dealing with inflation or is it just Canada?

Edited by Satchmo
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Well untill another party can offer up something worthwhile, this is the circle we are stuck in. I'm not interested in a Justin Trudeau solution as he has clearly proved he has none. Will it be the same with PP? Quite possibly but I'm not willing to continue down this current path with Trudeau any longer 

So you think someone who is planning on making the problem worse is a better choice than the status quo.  Got it.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Why are you bringing up rent prices when you just told me that you paying a mortgage gives credence to whatever you're trying to say?  Am I not living in the real world just because I don't have the same life situation as you?

Here's something for you: I went to buy some groceries last night and realized the price of fruit... is the exact same as it's always been.  Bananas are still 69 cents/pound.  Nice.  They were actually the same price as when I was a teenager, which means the real price has gotten cheaper over the years.  A block of tofu?  Still 3 bucks.  A tub of kimchi?  Still 10 bucks.  A 5-pack of Shin Ramyun?  Still 5 bucks.  A can of tuna?  Still 1 dollar.  I'm probably getting more out of my money buying my groceries than I was in the past.  Are you going to accuse me of manipulating the numbers too?

One thing that has definitely skyrocketed in price: rice.  But does it make me a Trudeau apologist if I attempt to point out the fact that the cost of rice is tied to whatever's happening in the global market and has absolutely nothing to do with Ottawa? 

Something that also skyrocketed in price was my favourite snack - a McDouble burger.  It has tripled in price over the past decade.  This is... Trudeau's fault?  Am I Trudeau apologist when I point out the price of a Big Mac has been jacked up across the entire globe?  Or when I point out the fact that countries like South Korea/Russia have experienced major housing inflation despite zero/negative immigration?  Does that make me a Trudeau apologist?

For what it's worth, I just bought 4 NY strip steaks at Safeway for $20.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the sale.  The fact that found a great deal doesn't make a Trudeau apologist, nor does it change the fact that an average basket of goods in Canada has risen 2.8%.

A $1 for a can of tuna?  I don’t recall paying $1 for tuna in years. Where do you shop?  

I never said you personally were a Trudeau apologist. You’ve made it clear many times you don’t even like the guy. 

25 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I would be more willing to listen to that if they weren't propping up a failed government. That just tells me they are going to be more of the same

It could be argued that the NDP is making the best of their position.

They actually get a say in things and have had some of their items pushed forward.

Therefore the people that voted for them get a bit of a voice. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I would actually vote for the NDP before I voted again for Trudeau. 

Maybe Jagmeet should get out of bed with Trudeau and start pumping up his own party. He has a shot at getting an election called tomorrow. He should do the right thing and step away from his coalition. His base isn’t interested in sleeping with the Liberal party. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

It could be argued that the NDP is making the best of their position.

They actually get a say in things and have had some of their items pushed forward.

Therefore the people that voted for them get a bit of a voice. 

I don't disagree. It just rubs me the wrong way and makes them look weak in my eyes. Just clinging to what little bit of power they can when they could be catalysts for change