Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Re-elect Trudeau with a minority and hope the cons take the hint that they need to denazify their party in order to be electable in a civilized country.  A fiscally conservative party that didn't want to inflict their  barbaric beliefs on innocent Canadians would do quite well.

I’ve already suggested multiple times that Trudeau and his allies should all step down. A full clean slate. I know a lot of people who would be on board with that. You do that and then it gets more difficult for PP to move his agenda forward. You then don’t need to worry about PP.  That should be the correct solution. No minority government and PP isn’t the Prime Minister. 

You should be all over this as a viable solution. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes

Yes

Rents have increased and they are because PEOPLE AND PROPERTY MANAGERS have raised them

The government is not the boogeyman you claim it is, most of the situations in your life you're whining about on this forum are based on situations you've created for yourself.  Own it

A lack of inventory and limited supply is why rents have shot up exponentially. 

The more supply there is out there the less the Landlords and the property managers can jack up the rents. More supply equals more choices equals lower rents. 

• ThereItIs 1

I wonder if Layton would have won in 2015...

Did the NDP have an intent on legalization?

I still feel that was the extra kick the Libs got in theat election. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’ve already suggested multiple times that Trudeau and his allies should all step down. A full clean slate. I know a lot of people who would be on board with that. You do that and then it gets more difficult for PP to move his agenda forward. You then don’t need to worry about PP.  That should be the correct solution. No minority government and PP isn’t the Prime Minister. 

I don't have any issue with minority governments.  I think they serve the interests of a larger percentage of Canadians than majorities.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes they have a plan. All you have to do is go to their website and it explains it in detail. 

I've been there.  I've read it.   It has many words.  I saw no details, just some talking points.   That may be due my woke left wing commie bias but that was the feeling I was left with.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes

Yes

Rents have increased and they are because PEOPLE AND PROPERTY MANAGERS have raised them

The government is not the boogeyman you claim it is, most of the situations in your life you're whining about on this forum are based on situations you've created for yourself.  Own it

Yea, there is this thing called supply and demand. You know what didn't help that supply? Opening the flood gates on foreign students and immigration. Pretty confident the government has some control there

Yes. Everything around me costing more is my fault... You really hearing yourself right now?... 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Yea, there is this thing called supply and demand. You know what didn't help that supply? Opening the flood gates on foreign students and immigration. Pretty confident the government has some control there

Yes. Everything around me costing more is my fault... You really hearing yourself right now?... 

Is that the horse you rode in on or did you change midstream?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

lol.  never said it was your fault everything was more expensive, just pointed out that much of what you;re whining about is brought up by situations in your life much of which are caused by personal choices you may have made.  figure it out.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

lol.  never said it was your fault everything was more expensive, just pointed out that much of what you;re whining about is brought up by situations in your life much of which are caused by personal choices you may have made.  figure it out.

Huh? Buying groceries is a personal choice? 

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

How the international student cap affects immigration to Canada

https://news.ubc.ca/2024/02/01/how-the-international-student-cap-affects-immigration-to-canada/

What role do international students play in Canada?

Canadian higher education is deeply dependent on international student tuition, which is, on average, over five times higher than domestic tuition at the undergraduate level. Universities disproportionately rely on international PhD students’ specialized research and teaching skills.

Canada also relies heavily on temporary foreign workers and immigrants, and international students make up a growing proportion of both. Roughly half of these students remain in Canada after graduation to work, and the majority who stay eventually become permanent residents.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Huh? Buying groceries is a personal choice? 

Choosing to believe the government is the fault of all of your economic issues and the rapid increase in the prices of everything, sure is your fault yup

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm going to keep blaming him as long as he continues to do nothing. 

That is the worst thought process I've ever heard of.  You're frustrated with this government's lack of action against big business, and you're now turning to the only alternative - a big business politicians with actual ties to those big corporations.

The worst.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A $1 for a can of tuna?  I don’t recall paying $1 for tuna in years. Where do you shop?  

I never said you personally were a Trudeau apologist. You’ve made it clear many times you don’t even like the guy. 

I get the tuna at Superstore.  I'm just a bit more selective with what I shop there because I know Loblaws keep raising prices. 

Which is my point - Loblaws prices have absolutely nothing to do with Justin Trudeau.  The fact that you paid whatever for dinner and a carwash has nothing to do with Trudeau.  You're the one still paying for it.  You don't need to go out for steak dinner.  You can wash your own damn car.  This is exactly like how fast food works.  During the pandemic, places like McD's realized they can still make big profits by raising prices.  So instead of selling $10 meals to ten people, they can sell $25 meals to five people.  This actually happened -  The prices of some fast food items have literally tripled, and it has increased at a rate much faster than groceries.  That's not Trudeau inflation.  That's just the industry restructuring the market.  It's not the government's job to step in and fix the price of your car wash, when you're the one still willing to pay that inflated price.

• Thanks 1

There are real and legitimate points of criticism against Justin Trudeau's Liberals.  He has certainly had his fair share of mistakes as PM.

But the anti-Trudeau crowd in this thread?  Just no thought process whatsoever.  Nothing more than unbridled rage, just like what's being peddled by Pierre Poilievre.

spongebob-lifeguard.gif.7dbde52d0f4426963b0142b7e4aae8ff.gif

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Yes, you can say that the housing problem is not a direct result of the federal government.  But if you let in 1 million new people per year then that is going to cause a housing shortage, which will in turn cause rents to skyrocket.  So, yeah Trudeau's immigration policies have indirectly led to the housing crisis...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is the best way forward for the liberals and probably the country. But that involves Trudeau stepping down which isn't likely to happen. I think Freeland would be a good choice, or at least the best out of the available options.

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

That is the worst thought process I've ever heard of.  You're frustrated with this government's lack of action against big business, and you're now turning to the only alternative - a big business politicians with actual ties to those big corporations.

The worst.

I get the tuna at Superstore.  I'm just a bit more selective with what I shop there because I know Loblaws keep raising prices. 

Which is my point - Loblaws prices have absolutely nothing to do with Justin Trudeau.  The fact that you paid whatever for dinner and a carwash has nothing to do with Trudeau.  You're the one still paying for it.  You don't need to go out for steak dinner.  You can wash your own damn car.  This is exactly like how fast food works.  During the pandemic, places like McD's realized they can still make big profits by raising prices.  So instead of selling $10 meals to ten people, they can sell $25 meals to five people.  This actually happened -  The prices of some fast food items have literally tripled, and it has increased at a rate much faster than groceries.  That's not Trudeau inflation.  That's just the industry restructuring the market.  It's not the government's job to step in and fix the price of your car wash, when you're the one still willing to pay that inflated price.

This is the thing.  If I cooked at home every day and washed my own damn car and everyone did exactly that, then all of the car wash businesses and all of the restaurants would go out of business and have to file for bankruptcy.  Then you would have thousands of people unemployed and looking for work while collecting EI benefits which come directly from our tax dollars.  This would cause the economy to go into a recession.  It doesn't help the economic situation by putting all small business owners out of business.

At the end of the day, why do people have to stop doing the things that they enjoy and cut back on all discretionary expenses?  So that we can all go into hibernation and live like bears while the government spends all of our tax dollars and gets a free pass?

I'd rather live in a world where I don't have to worry about going out and buying a nice steak once in awhile.  I'd rather someone else wash my car.  These are the things I grew up with and I don't feel the need to have to change my lifestyle because of government incompetence.

14 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

That is the best way forward for the liberals and probably the country. But that involves Trudeau stepping down which isn't likely to happen. I think Freeland would be a good choice, or at least the best out of the available options.

Trudeau has already been in office over 8 years.  He will hit 10 years by the time the supposed next election arrives.  Why does he feel he should be in power for more than 10 years?  Does he believe he is a dictator who should stay in power forever?  Jean Chretien was 10x the PM that Trudeau is and he stepped down after 10 years.  So why can't Trudeau?  Even the US President can no longer stay in power for more than 8 years.  I haven't heard even one logical explanation as to why Trudeau needs to stay in power for more than 10 years.  Is he trying to beat his father's record?  Mulroney, Chretien, Harper, they all left after 9-10 years, or got voted out.  Same thing will happen to Trudeau.  He will get voted out.  His party should simply vote him out themselves so they can start fresh for the next election...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is the thing.  If I cooked at home every day and washed my own damn car and everyone did exactly that, then all of the car wash businesses and all of the restaurants would go out of business and have to file for bankruptcy.  Then you would have thousands of people unemployed and looking for work while collecting EI benefits which come directly from our tax dollars.  This would cause the economy to go into a recession.  It doesn't help the economic situation by putting all small business owners out of business.

At the end of the day, why do people have to stop doing the things that they enjoy and cut back on all discretionary expenses?  So that we can all go into hibernation and live like bears while the government spends all of our tax dollars and gets a free pass?

I'd rather live in a world where I don't have to worry about going out and buying a nice steak once in awhile.  I'd rather someone else wash my car.  These are the things I grew up with and I don't feel the need to have to change my lifestyle because of government incompetence.

That has nothing to do with government incompetence and it makes zero sense as to why you're trying to force that connection.  As I just mentioned with fast food, sit-down restaurants also realize they could costs, jack up prices, and still make larger profits despite losing parts of their customer base.  And you're living proof of that.  You haven't changed your consumer habits.  Businesses are making more money off of you than before and your purchases tell me you're okay with it.  Well, actually you're whining about it but you're whining to the government for some bizarre reason.

This is textbook market supply and demand.  Your lifestyle is being affected because businesses realized they can squeeze more money out of you without losing you as a customer.  That doesn't make you a sucker or anything.  But it does make you silly for blaming government.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well we need people to do those jobs in order to wash your car.  Either get comfortable with immigration or "the help" will need to be paid better in order to get Canadians to do those jobs.

• ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, you can say that the housing problem is not a direct result of the federal government.  But if you let in 1 million new people per year then that is going to cause a housing shortage, which will in turn cause rents to skyrocket.  So, yeah Trudeau's immigration policies have indirectly led to the housing crisis...

It's truly baffling to me basic things like that are being ignored. I mean why is there a cap being implemented on international students again? Even the Liberal government finally realized is was becoming a problem they couldn't ignore anymore. But no, housing prices and rent are just coincidentally going up. Nothing to see here 🤦

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Well we need people to do those jobs in order to wash your car.  Either get comfortable with immigration or "the help" will need to be paid better in order to get Canadians to do those jobs.

There are lots of students that need jobs while going to school.  I had 2 jobs while going to UBC.  We can get locals to wash cars and bus tables.  We don't need to bring in 1 million immigrants to fill jobs that a student can do or someone right out of high school.  

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's truly baffling to me basic things like that are being ignored. I mean why is there a cap being implemented on international students again? Even the Liberal government finally realized is was becoming a problem they couldn't ignore anymore. But no, housing prices and rent are just coincidentally going up. Nothing to see here 🤦

its also about the provinces and the post secondary world. By attempting to make this all about Justin you miss the point completely. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's truly baffling to me basic things like that are being ignored. I mean why is there a cap being implemented again? Even the Liberal government finally realized is was becoming a problem they couldn't ignore anymore. But no, housing prices and rent are just coincidentally going up. Nothing to see here 🤦

It's baffling to have a conversation with you, where you brush off statistics as fake news, but also brush off my personal experience as cherry-picking.  I've given you multiple opportunities to explain why you think the government is to blame for everything wrong in your life.  If it rains on your wedding day, it's Trudeau's fault.  Do you think our government is God or something?