Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, if UBC students can't afford to go to school with 2 jobs, then how exactly are they doing it now?  Are they living at home?  Parents paying for education?  How are these students currently affording to be able to go to school?

Yes, I must be way out of reality on this one.  I actually thought that teenagers and students actually worked for a living.  My bad...

They’re taking massive student loans, living at home or working jobs that don’t involve minimum wage work…so that they can actually learn, study and live.

Some parents are taking loans out, re-mortgaging their houses, using savings, etc., to give their kids help.

Yes, I agree with you. You are out of touch. 

Teenagers and students do work. Many of them. Not all. Those that do don’t work bussing tables or at a car wash to pay for the rates at UBC. 

Do you understand me? Things have changed a lot. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's not the immigrants fault? Poor policies at fault here

Which policies would have make student education more affordable, made income for students working to pay their way through University at a rate that would match the tuition costs? 

Where/How does the fault lay with Immigrants/Immigration?

Most of us came via immigration, btw. 

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

They’re taking massive student loans, living at home or working jobs that don’t involve minimum wage work…so that they can actually learn, study and live.

Some parents are taking loans out, re-mortgaging their houses, using savings, etc., to give their kids help.

Teenagers and students do work. Many of them. Not all. Those that do don’t work bussing tables or at a car wash to pay for the rates at UBC. 

I would reference some labour force numbers among Canadian full-time students to follow trends over the years but...

1) I'm struggling to find more contemporary data from the last decade, and

2) He... doesn't... trust Statistics Canada.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yes, I understand you. So what kind of jobs are teenagers getting that make more money than minimum wage?  I’m genuinely curious. They have zero experience in any type of work. 

Also, bussing tables isn’t a minimum wage job. When I did it I earned my minimum wage as a salary plus I got tips. My tips were more than my salary. I’m assuming it’s the same today. Everyone in a restaurant shares in the tips.  Even the cooks. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Which policies would have make student education more affordable, made income for students working to pay their way through University at a rate that would match the tuition costs? 

Where/How does the fault lay with Immigrants/Immigration?

Most of us came via immigration, btw. 

Why have they put a cap on international students then?

There is nothing wrong with immigration done right. The numbers of international students and immigration has exploded though in the last couple years and it's flat out not sustainable as we are already starting to see 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I understand you. So what kind of jobs are teenagers getting that make more money than minimum wage?  I’m genuinely curious. They have zero experience in any type of work. 

Also, bussing tables isn’t a minimum wage job. When I did it I earned my minimum wage as a salary plus I got tips. My tips were more than my salary. I’m assuming it’s the same today. Everyone in a restaurant shares in the tips.  Even the cooks. 

I would suggest that ‘kids’ who are UBC students, aren’t working to fund their tuition, because that’s impossible at today’s wages/cost. 

I would proffer, that those that do have a job, are using that income to supplement housing and other basic necessities of their life(food, transportation, etc). 

Also, sharing tips would not supplement the base minimum wage in order for most employed UBC kids to pay for tuition and all the extra costs I mentioned before. 

Those ‘kids’ who come from affluence aren’t working the jobs you mentioned. The poorer kids aren’t the kids, generally, going to UBC, either. Again, cost. 

I would suggest, going out to UBC and going into their Common areas and speaking to them. Ask them how they ‘get by’ semester to semester. 

You’d be surprised at the answers and how they don’t align with your previous experiences and current belief. 

Just a thought/suggestion, for your further education about what it takes financially to be a UBC ‘kid’. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

There is nothing wrong with immigration done right. The numbers of international students and immigration has exploded though in the last couple years and it's flat out not sustainable as we are already starting to see 

I think housing has much to play into the reduction. 

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would suggest, going out to UBC and going into their Common areas and speaking to them. Ask them how they ‘get by’ semester to semester. 

You’d be surprised at the answers and how they don’t align with your previous experiences and current belief. 

Just a thought/suggestion, for your further education about what it takes financially to be a UBC ‘kid’. 

Why go to UBC and ask students when there's a dinner-party expert that's readily available during the weekend?  :classic_unsure:

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think housing has much to play into the reduction. 

Housing has been a problem for a while. It was literally one of his platforms Justin Trudeau was running on. Bringing affordable housing. Yet since 2016 the number of international students has doubled. The number of immigrants accepted since 2016 has also almost doubled. You mean to tell me the government couldn't see these problems coming? They may not control how much housing gets built but they clearly can make policy to help relieve stress on the market 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Housing has been a problem for a while. It was literally one of his platforms Justin Trudeau was running on. Bringing affordable housing. Yet since 2016 the number of international students has doubled. The number of immigrants accepted since 2016 has also almost doubled. You mean to tell me the government couldn't see these problems coming? They may not control how much housing gets built but they clearly can make policy to help relieve stress on the market 

The problem is, housing has been an issue in Canada for almost a decade or more. If you go back to when Pierre was the housing minister, you will see how he talked glowingly about how his government was fixing the housing issue. Yet he wasted almost half a billion dollars and built less than 300 total units.

How could a housing be an issue that he was fixing back then but somehow all happened under trudeau?

• Cheers 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-non-confidence-motion-carbon-tax-1.7149637

Ok, so I don't think PP is the right candidate for Canada - even with Trudeau not being very popular nowadays.

This guy THINKS he smells blood and he is going all-in - on a carbon tax issue? Ok, I get it, nobody wants to pay the tax, so what's the alternative to addressing climate change for PP? I'm not saying that the tax is the answer. I'm saying that PP is an opportunist slimebag.

It's kind of ironic. Trudeau got into power with the soundbites and now most Canadians are tired of him in power. PP is literally about soundbites. Regardless of party affiliation, this guy shouldn't be in power either. We know the drill.

After Harper, the Conservatives have fallen HARD on good candidates. I just can't believe we are stooping so low to picking PP. Bottom of the barrel candidate. The only reason this guy even has relevance is because of Trudeau's unpopularity. I don't even care which party these candidates are running. I don't want PP representing me.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • ThereItIs 3

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

No one is forced to eat at home, including you.  You're choosing to still buy things that are marked up to a level that you, yourself, agree is ridiculous.  The problem is corporate greed, not the government.  By still buying overpriced services that are discretionary, you're contributing to the problem, not fixing it.  Subjecting the rest of Canadians to subhuman vermin like PP in the government is not helping anyone have a better life for themselves.

IMG_1249.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-non-confidence-motion-carbon-tax-1.7149637

Ok, so I don't think PP is the right candidate for Canada - even with Trudeau not being very popular nowadays.

This guy THINKS he smells blood and he is going all-in - on a carbon tax issue? Ok, I get it, nobody wants to pay the tax, so what's the alternative to addressing climate change for PP? I'm not saying that the tax is the answer. I'm saying that PP is an opportunist slimebag.

It's kind of ironic. Trudeau got into power with the soundbites and now most Canadians are tired of him in power. PP is literally about soundbites. Regardless of party affiliation, this guy shouldn't be in power either. We know the drill.

After Harper, the Conservatives have fallen HARD on good candidates. I just can't believe we are stooping so low to picking PP. Bottom of the barrel candidate. The only reason this guy even has relevance is because of Trudeau's unpopularity. I don't even care which party these candidates are running. I don't want PP representing me.

Poo Poo stinks. I too don’t want his smell representing Canada. A lot of morans out there though, so there’s a decent chance the human stench will be our Pm. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Government incompetence will affect you more than it will affect me.  People in your age bracket have alot more to lose than people in my age bracket who have already been in the workforce for 25+ years and own a home.  So, it's shocking to me that I am the one that is pissed off at government and standing up to them so that the younger generation can have a better life for themselves.

You should fight for everything in life.  Don't accept the bullshit that is happening around you now.  Don't think that going to Superstore for $1 can of tuna is the norm and that you are forced to wash your own car or eat at home because things are unaffordable.  You need to stand up to the government and demand better.  Trust me.  It used to be ALOT better.  $2.1 trillion in debt with a $50 billion interest payment every year and growing.  This will affect your life big time as you get older.  You just don't realize it yet because the government is telling you it is not an issue.

Just remember that you can easily spot a politician who is lying to do.  You can tell they are lying when their mouths are open and they are talking...

You poor baby!

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are tips considered wages though? Tips are taxable, but the idea of a wage is that the employer pays you a certain amount (and in this definition, tips are most definitely NOT a wage). Not trying to invalidate you or anything.

10 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would suggest that ‘kids’ who are UBC students, aren’t working to fund their tuition, because that’s impossible at today’s wages/cost. 

I would proffer, that those that do have a job, are using that income to supplement housing and other basic necessities of their life(food, transportation, etc). 

Also, sharing tips would not supplement the base minimum wage in order for most employed UBC kids to pay for tuition and all the extra costs I mentioned before. 

Those ‘kids’ who come from affluence aren’t working the jobs you mentioned. The poorer kids aren’t the kids, generally, going to UBC, either. Again, cost. 

We used to have very good paying jobs for students, like in milks and stuff. One of the mills a younger Alf worked in back in the 70’s had students there in summers. We used to talk about being “100 dollar a day” guys. Not too sure what these kids were paying to go to school, but I’m guessing they were doing better than a lot of the kids trying to do the same today. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

It would be one thing if he had some kind of message to build the country. But he doesn't, it's all bullshit and lies, it's spun for maximum anger.

That's why he's such a bad choice imo, he's willing to do things like lie about national security and side with anti vaxxers. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Yeah, there is no lower hanging fruit than "too many taxes".....It's the tried and true gambit of politicians who don't have any new ideas. (or any ideas at all, usually)

The sad thing is, people still buy into it, even after years of seeing how such promises make no significant difference to their paycheques, or what they pay at the pump and the grocery store.

"Get rid of the tax! And while you're at it, fix all the problems that the poor people have!" Do people actually believe that these two things can happen simultaneously? :picard:

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, there is no lower hanging fruit than "too many taxes".....It's the tried and true gambit of politicians who don't have any new ideas. (or any ideas at all, usually)

The sad thing is, people still buy into it, even after years of seeing how such promises make no significant difference to their paycheques, or what they pay at the pump and the grocery store.

"Get rid of the tax! And while you're at it, fix all the problems that the poor people have!" Do people actually believe that these two things can happen simultaneously? :picard:

One of the issues in this Country is that its basically a two party choice. Rinse and recycle every election is usually what happens. As stated many times, who in their right mind would want to run for office in this Country? Federally, Provincially, or in a municipality. When I see sharks like PP circling the waters without any policy whatsoever. The people on the right want fiscal Conservatives, yet Harper put this Country in debt too. Canada's economy and debt are a result of a World Wide issue yet corporate greed keeps humming along at the expense of lower income people. Why in hell is gasoline $2.00 per litre?

11 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Have they put a cap on International Students? Government increased the amount of money foreign students have to show to be students in Canada. From $10K to $20K if I'm reading this correctly.

Canada just posted its fastest two-month immigration in history. What happens next?

• Scotiabank digs deep into immigration trends and says it's time to reverse course

Immigration is a hot topic in Canada due to housing unaffordability and a crunch in public services. The chart below highlights why:

Canada immigration

I strongly suspect the 2025 (or sooner) Canadian election will be fought over immigration and public polls have shown a sharp turn in the country that was perhaps more-open to immigrants than any.

Last year, Canada added 1.25 million people and will add at least another 1 million this year. To get a sense of how much that is, 10x it against the US. Numbers released in the US showed 1.6 million immigrants last year. While illegal immigration probably added a fair bit to that, the total number of illegal immigrants in the US is only estimated at 12.3 million, cumulatively.

In short, Canadian immigration is way out of hand. It's powered GDP growth for some time but the result has been falling GDP per capital and falling productivity.

Canada GDP per capita

I have little doubt that it will continue and when the pendulum swings it could be a huge drag. Scotiabank economists have come to the same conclusion and dig deeper today with a report highlighting how a stop in immigration will reshape the economy.

"There is a sweet spot when it comes to economic immigration – where everyone is better off over time – but it is narrow and Canada has strayed far off course," Scotia writes. "Canada’s immigration policy needs a reset, not quick fixes."

They estimate around 350K annually in Canada would be best for growth and productivity.

However they note that there has been no slowdown at all, despite the growing backlash.

"If anything, the pace of population growth has accelerated so far this year, based on data from the Labour Force Survey: the rise in population in January and February is the fastest two-month pace in history," they write.

Canadian employment numbers have been surprisingly robust but they note that temporary workers accounted for almost 40% of job gains last year, while 70% of the gains were among people who have arrived within 5 years.

Whether Canada continues to accept high numbers of immigrants or reverses course, Scotia argues there are no easy solutions. There hasn't been nearly enough fixed investment to cope with current numbers and cutting them would undermine the businesses of many of Canada's largest sectors including: banking, telecommunications, housing and consumer products.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Have they put a cap on International Students? Government increased the amount of money foreign students have to show to be students in Canada. From $10K to $20K if I'm reading this correctly.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-universities-and-colleges-trying-to-come-to-grips-with/

57 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's hard to tell what you are complaining about.   Your rages against inflation have changed over the last few pages to now be mostly about immigration and your posts regarding immigration seem only to prove that things are being discussed and changes are being made.

The article you posted does not so much discuss immigration, inflation, or housing as much as it describes educational institutions bemoaning the loss of the cash cow foreign students provide.

What are you rebelling against Ricky?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1