Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

So just to be fair I went to the CPC web site: https://www.conservative.ca

Literally nothing there about what the plans would be to tackle any major problems. 

The only thing resembling one is a press release with some less-than-well-thought-out ranting about gatekeepers and withholding money from municipalities on the housing issue.

There's no there, there. 

Someone prove me wrong. Show me PP's plans for taking Canada to a better future. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

31 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It's hard to tell what you are complaining about.   Your rages against inflation have changed over the last few pages to now be mostly about immigration and your posts regarding immigration seem only to prove that things are being discussed and changes are being made.

The article you posted does not so much discuss immigration, inflation, or housing as much as it describes educational institutions bemoaning the loss of the cash cow foreign students provide.

What are you rebelling against Ricky?

Because the conversation evolved from talking about groceries to housing? You do relealize inflation is affecting more than one thing right?

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Because the conversation evolved from talking about groceries to housing? You do relealize inflation is affecting more than one thing right?

I do indeed.   But it seemed to me that the evolvement took place when you left an argument that was not succeeding to focus on one that might.   I'm sure you will not agree but that's the impression I got.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I do indeed.   But it seemed to me that the evolvement took place when you left an argument that was not succeeding to focus on one that might.   I'm sure you will not agree but that's the impression I got.

What? You have a wild imagination. For one I don't for a second think any discussion I was having was not succeeding. I'm also not trying to "win" discussions on this topic like sooo many posters here seem to try to do. This discussion simply evolved. It's weird how you would try to dig so deep and try to twist what happened in a attempt to try to make me look bad and not arguing in good faith or something? It's weak

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

16 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What? You have a wild imagination. For one I don't for a second think any discussion I was having was not succeeding. I'm also not trying to "win" discussions on this topic like sooo many posters here seem to try to do. This discussion simply evolved. It's weird how you would try to dig so deep and try to twist what happened in a attempt to try to make me look bad and not arguing in good faith or something? It's weak

As I suspected, you do not agree.  

BTW - I am not out to make you look bad though I admit I am often out to prove you wrong.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

As I suspected, you do not agree.  

BTW - I am not out to make you look bad thought I admit I am often out to prove you wrong.

Then do that instead of making weird and wild accusations. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Then do that instead of making weird and wild accusations. 

Weird and wild, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder.  I invite you to get the last word in if you like and then let's move on.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The kids are not okay. New data shows Canadians under-30 ‘very unhappy’

https://globalnews.ca/news/10372813/canada-world-happiness-report-2024/

You could probably just round that up to include the entirety of millennials and younger, doesn't mean most younger Canadians lay it all at the feet of the liberals or think the Cons will be better. I sure as hell don't expect a conservative party that has historically favored privatization to implement more social supports that'll help the average Canadian. This isn't to say that the liberals are, or have, done everything right either. We're probably screwed either way. 

Lot of younger folks are pretty disillusioned with politics in general. Politicians who largely don't reflect our age demographics or lived realities have always made the decisions that affect our lives. It's not simply that we're unhappy, we're pissed. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I think you are arguing in bad faith.  When you tried to suggest Trudeau was directly responsible for rising grocery prices, I pointed out some of my most common purchases.  You accused me of cherry-picking.  Then I pointed out some purchases where prices have been jacked up due to global shortages & export bans.  You accused me of cherry-picking.  Then I pointed out shrinkflation affecting UK chocolate bars I've never even heard of.  You accused me of cherry-picking.

And then you tried to suggest Trudeau hasn't done enough to combat the price-gouging of Loblaws/Sobeys.  When I pointed out Poilievre's ties to those exact same businesses... you pivoted to immigration.  All of this meandering because you don't believe in cold, hard numbers put forth by Statistics Canada.

That's fucking weak, man.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You could probably just round that up to include the entirety of millennials and younger, doesn't mean most younger Canadians lay it all at the feet of the liberals or think the Cons will be better. I sure as hell don't expect a conservative party that has historically favored privatization to implement more social supports that'll help the average Canadian. This isn't to say that the liberals are, or have, done everything right either. We're probably screwed either way. 

Lot of younger folks are pretty disillusioned with politics in general. Politicians who largely don't reflect our age demographics or lived realities have always made the decisions that affect our lives. It's not simply that we're unhappy, we're pissed. 

but you guys are the largest voting group now. You have more collective power than the boomers. Use it.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Which ‘locals’ do you expect to work at a car wash or bus tables? 

UBC students today couldn’t afford tuition, housing, books, groceries, etc, etc even if they worked two jobs like you did, bussing tables and washing cars. 

If the average work shift is 7.5 hours and you double that, with two jobs, while in University, tell me when those students are supposed to read, do their homework/research, attend courses, eat sleep, commute, etc?

Your reality isn’t today’s reality. 

This economy needs a plethora of immigrants to do the unskilled work that the retired and students used to do, way back when. 

I think you need to get with the times. This ain’t the 70’s or 80’s. 

Tuition is also higher than it used to be, even moreso if you consider the varying cost of university. 

I'm not attending UBC, which would likely cost me more, I'm attending a less prestigious VIU and my bachelors is still costing me 16k a year in academic costs before I even get to my living expenses. That's not factoring in what it cost me to do the diploma that laddered into the bachelors. 

It's not as bad as it is in the US, but it's still very, very expensive. Most folks who attend university do it by taking on dept. Many students also take on jobs, as you've said, but given the skyrocketing costs of living that doesn't really go as far as it did even as recently as 2019. 

15 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

They’re taking massive student loans, living at home or working jobs that don’t involve minimum wage work…so that they can actually learn, study and live.

Some parents are taking loans out, re-mortgaging their houses, using savings, etc., to give their kids help.

Yes, I agree with you. You are out of touch. 

Teenagers and students do work. Many of them. Not all. Those that do don’t work bussing tables or at a car wash to pay for the rates at UBC. 

Do you understand me? Things have changed a lot. 

Bingo. Some also move home to try and cut costs, and then get shit on for "living in their parents basement" as if economics don't often make it the smart move nowadays as a student. But considering uni students by and large, aren't teenagers, a lot of folks don't have this luxury. 

Or the luxury of family that can afford to help them, lot of folks have to simply eat the significant amount of dept it takes to try and get ahead. I'd wager that most folks who attend university do so by taking on student loans. 

14 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would suggest that ‘kids’ who are UBC students, aren’t working to fund their tuition, because that’s impossible at today’s wages/cost. 

I would proffer, that those that do have a job, are using that income to supplement housing and other basic necessities of their life(food, transportation, etc). 

Also, sharing tips would not supplement the base minimum wage in order for most employed UBC kids to pay for tuition and all the extra costs I mentioned before. 

Those ‘kids’ who come from affluence aren’t working the jobs you mentioned. The poorer kids aren’t the kids, generally, going to UBC, either. Again, cost. 

I would suggest, going out to UBC and going into their Common areas and speaking to them. Ask them how they ‘get by’ semester to semester. 

You’d be surprised at the answers and how they don’t align with your previous experiences and current belief. 

Just a thought/suggestion, for your further education about what it takes financially to be a UBC ‘kid’. 

That's actually another part of it. The skyrocketing costs of living that have happened since roughly 2019 actually eat into the wage increases that going to school are supposed to get us. I started my diploma in 2019, my post-graduation earnings simply aren't going to go as far as they would have even a few years back. 

Wages have not kept up with the costs of living, and yet most folks have it drilled into them from a young age that they should pursue an education to try and get ahead. It's simply not getting us as far ahead as it used to. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but you guys are the largest voting group now. You have more collective power than the boomers. Use it.

The real problem is the lack of people voting in municipal elections.  That's the level of government that can actually help with the housing crisis.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The real problem is the lack of people voting in municipal elections.  That's the level of government that can actually help with the housing crisis.

Problem for me is It's not really clear at a municipal level which candidates will help as they aren't really marketed as well as the provincial and federal parties. And harder to find that info. At least that's my experience the last few vancouver elections.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think you are arguing in bad faith.  When you tried to suggest Trudeau was directly responsible for rising grocery prices, I pointed out some of my most common purchases.  You accused me of cherry-picking.  Then I pointed out some purchases where prices have been jacked up due to global shortages & export bans.  You accused me of cherry-picking.  Then I pointed out shrinkflation affecting UK chocolate bars I've never even heard of.  You accused me of cherry-picking.

And then you tried to suggest Trudeau hasn't done enough to combat the price-gouging of Loblaws/Sobeys.  When I pointed out Poilievre's ties to those exact same businesses... you pivoted to immigration.  All of this meandering because you don't believe in cold, hard numbers put forth by Statistics Canada.

That's fucking weak, man.

I accused you of cherry picking groceries items. Da hell you even talking about with chocolate bars? You smoking something? I never talked about chocolate bars. You are the one here arguing in bad faith and just outright lieing

I mean it's either rising costs due to inflation or corporate greed. I was trying to get people to pick a lane and go from there. I never pivoted I just stopped responding to you as I quite literally said in my post we were talking in circles. You have absolutely no idea what you are even talking about at this point.

That's what's fucking weak

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

I accused you of cherry picking groceries items. Da hell you even talking about with chocolate bars? You smoking something? I never talked about chocolate bars. You are the one here arguing in bad faith and just outright lieing

I mean it's either rising costs due to inflation or corporate greed. I was trying to get people to pick a lane and go from there. I never pivoted I just stopped responding to you as I quite literally said in my post we were talking in circles. You have absolutely no idea what you are even talking about at this point.

That's what's fucking weak

The entire fucking world is experiencing food inflation.  We are not the only fucking country in the world having to pay more at the pumps or at the grocery store.  Gas prices have gone up BEFORE the carbon tax hike has taken place.  Countries with zero/negative immigration are experiencing housing shortages and rent spikes.  Quit being such a little baby and stop whining about every little inconvenience in your life on the federal government.  The dumbest thing I heard you say yesterday was you hoping Pierre Poilievre would break up the big grocery companies.  That's brainwash level thinking.

The leader of the Conservative Party of Canada has advisors who have actively lobbied for grocery conglomerates.  What the fuck do you think that party is going to do to help lower your grocery prices when they take power?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Da hell you even talking about with chocolate bars?

I kinda thought showing some shrinking British chocolate bars bore some relation to the unanswered question I posed:

Know of any other countries in the world that are dealing with inflation or is it just Canada?

Almost as if MK was just asking the same question (or maybe answering it.)

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The entire fucking world is experiencing food inflation.  We are not the only fucking country in the world having to pay more at the pumps or at the grocery store.  Gas prices have gone up BEFORE the carbon tax hike has taken place.  Countries with zero/negative immigration are experiencing housing shortages and rent spikes.  Quit being such a little baby and stop whining about every little inconvenience in your life on the federal government.  The dumbest thing I heard you say yesterday was you hoping Pierre Poilievre would break up the big grocery companies.  That's brainwash level thinking.

The leader of the Conservative Party of Canada has advisors who have actively lobbied for grocery conglomerates.  What the fuck do you think that party is going to do to help lower your grocery prices when they take power?

Question. Has every country handled inflation in the exact same way? Yes or no.

Quite literally just it is you who is crying and whining. So maybe head your own advice?

Are you actually fucking stupid? Point exactly where I said those words. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Question. Has every country handled inflation in the exact same way? Yes or no.

Quite literally just it is you who is crying and whining. So maybe head your own advice?

Are you actually fucking stupid? Point exactly where I said those words. 

21 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What I would like is more competition. It's no different than our horrible telecommunications choices. If we can't get that, then these giant companies need to be broken up. I'm sure the government has the power to facilitate something like that

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Do you see the words Pierre Pollieve anywhere there? Noooooo. I'd be happy with any government holding these monopolies accountable. But again you try to put words in my mouth and just lie. Literally in that post you quoted I said "I'm sure the government" Quite clearly refering to the current one. Jesus Christ 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I think Steven Spaghetti would a good username for his next account. 

So people are just allowed to say I said "the dumbest" thing and that's ok? I thought personal attacks weren't ok?

Edited by Ricky Ravioli