Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Do you see the words Pierre Pollieve anywhere there? Noooooo. I'd be happy with any government holding these monopolies accountable. But again you try to put words in my mouth and just lie. Literally in that post you quoted I said "I'm sure the government" Quite clearly refering to the current one. Jesus Christ 

Don't play semantics with me.  Who the fuck are you going to vote for?  You already said you don't want to vote for the NDP because you think they're propping up Trudeau's Liberals.  I'm just going to assume you don't live in Quebec.  So who, then?  The Green Party?  The fucking People's Party?

This is the typical response I always hear from rabid Trudeau haters.  "I never said I'm supporting the Conservatives I just hate Justin!"  When we all know who you're gonna vote for.  But by all means - prove me wrong and waste your vote on some random candidate with no chance of winning.  

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

but you guys are the largest voting group now. You have more collective power than the boomers. Use it.

We'll see if that actually makes a difference, young voters not turning out to vote isn't an issue unique to Canada. The 2015 election was a different story.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2015/vtsa&document=table1&lang=e

It dropped across the board last election. 

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2021/evt&document=ig&lang=e

But by and large, yeah, it appears young Canadians are less likely to vote. The important questions should be why and how do we change that? What influences the divergence in voting habits between old and young Canadian voters? Particularly when you consider that it's an issue that hasn't been unique to today's younger generations.

It was an issue predating the 2004 election, but here's the 2004 election. The oldest millennial would have been roughly 23 in 2004. 

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/part/estim/38ge&document=report38&lang=e

https://electionsanddemocracy.ca/canadas-elections/youth-voting-trends

How do you address folks being disillusioned with politics or not believing that voting matter? It's not just how you reach millennials, it's how does the government engage Gen Z, who has more in common with the millennial generation than either Gen X or the the boomer generation. It'll be interesting to see how things shift as more of Gen Z reaches voting age. This next election could be telling. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Don't play semantics with me.  Who the fuck are you going to vote for?  You already said you don't want to vote for the NDP because you think they're propping up Trudeau's Liberals.  I'm just going to assume you don't live in Quebec.  So who, then?  The Green Party?  The fucking People's Party?

This is the typical response I always hear from rabid Trudeau haters.  "I never said I'm supporting the Conservatives I just hate Justin!"  When we all know who you're gonna vote for.  But by all means - prove me wrong and waste your vote on some random candidate with no chance of winning.  

I don't give a fuck what you think. You don't get speak for me or tell me what I am saying. It's almost 2 years out. Yea, you are damn right I probably am going to vote conservative. I sure as hell won't vote liberal. NDP could be a possibility but they have to fuck off with propping up the current government. These are our options. I'm not just gonna vote for a party that's been in power for 8 years and accomplished very little. I don't blindly follow a party like I'm cheering for the Canucks. That's just stupid.

I'm done talking to you though as it's clear we have no common ground on any discussions and are going no where

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's actually a joke you can't have respectful discussion on this site without one or two losers always making it personal or resorting to attack's 

That isn't a personal attack.  That was simply the worst thing you said yesterday.  Not the dumbest thing out of everyone - just out of the things that you said.

8 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I think Steven Spaghetti would a good username for his next account. 

Pete Penne

Tim Tortellini

Ray Rigatoni

Mike Macaroni

Frank Fusilli

The possibilities are endless.....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Question. Has every country handled inflation in the exact same way? Yes or no.

Quite literally just it is you who is crying and whining. So maybe head your own advice?

Are you actually fucking stupid? Point exactly where I said those words. 

I seem to remember the UK with inflation well over 10% not too long ago, I hardly doubt its at 2.8% now. Just checked in Feb it was 3.4%, now I guess the Brits are fudging their numbers too? Down from their high of 11.4%. So you see not only Canada and specifically Trudeau can be blamed for high costs of everything and inflation.

Edited by Johngould21

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I don't give a fuck what you think. You don't get speak for me or tell me what I am saying. It's almost 2 years out. Yea, you are damn right I probably am going to vote conservative. I sure as hell won't vote liberal. NDP could be a possibility but they have to fuck off with propping up the current government. These are our options. I'm not just gonna vote for a party that's been in power for 8 years and accomplished very little. I don't blindly follow a party like I'm cheering for the Canucks. That's just stupid.

I'm done talking to you though as it's clear we have no common ground on any discussions and are going no where

That's all I need to hear.  You're just wasting everyone's time here by suggesting otherwise.  You are Poilievre supporter and a MASSIVE hypocrite for believing he and his party are going to break up the large grocery corporations.  I gave you proof of Poilievre's allegiances and you're still gonna vote for him.  Now that is the silliest thing you have said TODAY.

As for myself?  I've voted in the last 4 federal elections.  Never fucking voted Liberal in my life.  Never voted for Trudeau.  That's who you're dealing with - someone who doesn't even support the party or the leader, but is compelled to point out the fact that you're wrong about nearly everything.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I think Steven Spaghetti would a good username for his next account. 

.....calls this a "personal attack" just a few posts after calling MK "fucking stupid"....:classic_rolleyes:

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

That isn't a personal attack.  That was simply the worst thing you said yesterday.  Not the dumbest thing out of everyone - just out of the things that you said.

Ahhh yes. Commenting on the intelligence of my comment is certainly not insulting at all. You continue to amaze me 🤦

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

.....calls this a "personal attack" just a few posts after calling MK "fucking stupid"....:classic_rolleyes:

Don't report him or anything.  He's digging himself into a massive hole here.

He went from "I never said I'm voting for PP" to "You're damn right I'm probably voting Conservative" in the span of five minutes.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Yea, which was in response to what the poster commented. Why leave that part out?

Just pointing out that you have a strange idea about what constitutes a personal attack.

Joey's post was nothing of the sort.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

That's all I need to hear.  You're just wasting everyone's time here by suggesting otherwise.  You are Poilievre supporter and a MASSIVE hypocrite for believing he and his party are going to break up the large grocery corporations.  I gave you proof of Poilievre's allegiances and you're still gonna vote for him.  Now that is the silliest thing you have said TODAY.

As for myself?  I've voted in the last 4 federal elections.  Never fucking voted Liberal in my life.  Never voted for Trudeau.  That's who you're dealing with - someone who doesn't even support the party or the leader, but is compelled to point out the fact that you're wrong about nearly everything.

See you are exactly what I'm talking about. You aren't here to have discussions. You are here to try to "win" the discussion like you get some sort of currency for it. It's actually sad. You don't know me. You don't know nothing about me. You continue to lie about me. What's the point of all this. Getting sooo worked up just because I don't agree with you. 

• chaos 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

He went from "I never said I'm voting for PP" to "You're damn right I'm probably voting Conservative" in the span of five minutes.

He won't be reported by me.

In all my time here and on CDC I've never used the Report button, or the Ignore button

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Here you are lieing again. 

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just pointing out that you have a strange idea about what constitutes a personal attack.

Joey's post was nothing of the sort.

I wasn't saying his post was a personal attack? I think that's where the confusion lies?

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I wasn't saying his post was a personal attack? I think that's where the confusion lies?

You weren't? :classic_huh:

Go back and look at the last post on the previous page. You refer to a personal attack while quoting Joey.....:classic_unsure:

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

You weren't? :classic_huh:

Go back and look at the last post on the previous page. You refer to a personal attack while quoting Joey.....:classic_unsure:

I was responding to him because he was basically inferring that I was going to get banned, which fair enough I was pretty hot. I was asking why it was ok for the other poster to insult me though.

54 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I believe it's mostly inflation with a side of corporate greed but I want to understand what others think and how to solve it

If any of us truly understood all causes of inflation and how to solve it they'd soon be off to Sweden to pick up a Nobel  prize in economics.

Personally I'd say greed plays a bigger part.  More of an entree than a side.   

Edited by Satchmo

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So people are just allowed to say I said "the dumbest" thing and that's ok? I thought personal attacks weren't ok?

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ahhh yes. Commenting on the intelligence of my comment is certainly not insulting at all. You continue to amaze me 🤦

Slow down, re-read those other comments, and realize-----your comment was called dumb- you, however, were not called dumb.

"attack the post, not the poster"

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We'll see if that actually makes a difference, young voters not turning out to vote isn't an issue unique to Canada. The 2015 election was a different story.

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2015/vtsa&document=table1&lang=e

It dropped across the board last election. 

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2021/evt&document=ig&lang=e

But by and large, yeah, it appears young Canadians are less likely to vote. The important questions should be why and how do we change that? What influences the divergence in voting habits between old and young Canadian voters? Particularly when you consider that it's an issue that hasn't been unique to today's younger generations.

It was an issue predating the 2004 election, but here's the 2004 election. The oldest millennial would have been roughly 23 in 2004. 

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/part/estim/38ge&document=report38&lang=e

https://electionsanddemocracy.ca/canadas-elections/youth-voting-trends

How do you address folks being disillusioned with politics or not believing that voting matter? It's not just how you reach millennials, it's how does the government engage Gen Z, who has more in common with the millennial generation than either Gen X or the the boomer generation. It'll be interesting to see how things shift as more of Gen Z reaches voting age. This next election could be telling. 

I can only speak as a Gen X, but for me and my wife as well, we had to eat a lot of shit from boomers on the way up our careers. Yes some things were easier, like housing costs, but many things were not. No one gave a flying fig about anyones feelings, etc. or had any kind of support available. 

I think thats why millennial and Z's don't get maybe as much support as they might expect, particularly from the boomers. 

As far as being disillusioned, I always felt that I had options because of my education. If I needed to I could take care of myself (within context, no ones an island). I've always been politically interested, and sometimes active, in my riding association.

Its weird to me that 100s of kids show up to protest Israel in Downtown Vancouver, but crickets on protests when it comes to housing. You guys should be camping on city hall lawns and refusing to leave. 

U40s have to get much more active than they are. Boomers in particular are not going to care about online anger. You have to get in their face and disrupt things. It may not be fair, but it is what it is. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Slow down, re-read those other comments, and realize-----your comment was called dumb- you, however, were not called dumb.

"attack the post, not the poster"

You are supposed to attack the post with facts not insults. By calling my comment dumb you are directly calling into question my intelligence. I don't see how that's not considered an insult? But ok then, I'll remember that going forward when I think someone makes a dumb post