Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You are supposed to attack the post with facts not insults. By calling my comment dumb you are directly calling into question my intelligence. I don't see how that's not considered an insult? But ok then, I'll remember that going forward when I think someone makes a dumb post

Nice self own.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can only speak as a Gen X, but for me and my wife as well, we had to eat a lot of shit from boomers on the way up our careers. Yes some things were easier, like housing costs, but many things were not. No one gave a flying fig about anyones feelings, etc. or had any kind of support available. 

I think thats why millennial and Z's don't get maybe as much support as they might expect, particularly from the boomers. 

As far as being disillusioned, I always felt that I had options because of my education. If I needed to I could take care of myself (within context, no ones an island). I've always been politically interested, and sometimes active, in my riding association.

Its weird to me that 100s of kids show up to protest Israel in Downtown Vancouver, but crickets on protests when it comes to housing. You guys should be camping on city hall lawns and refusing to leave. 

U40s have to get much more active than they are. Boomers in particular are not going to care about online anger. You have to get in their face and disrupt things. It may not be fair, but it is what it is. 

Boomer here that was taught that if you worked your ass off, got educated and lived right you would get ahead. I did and I did. Now boomers expect  millennials and Zs to do the same even though the premise is no longer completely true. No wonder other generations are resentful when we condescendingly trot out the same old advice.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Boomer here that was taught that if you worked your ass off, got educated and lived right you would get ahead. I did and I did. Now boomers expect  millennials and Zs to do the same even though the premise is no longer completely true. No wonder other generations are resentful when we condescendingly trot out the same old advice.

I'm not trying to be condescending, not at all. I really feel for @Coconuts and what he and his group are faced with, it sucks. 

My experience with a lot of boomers was pretty much "suck it up, buttercup". Oh its hard, f u. That was pretty much my experience until I got a few years under my belt and had the confidence to go out on my own firm.

So my point isn't for coconuts to suck it up, its to not expect anything from most boomers.

I'd be fully supportive of them talking over every city hall and shutting things down until they got a real plan made for them.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Meanwhile back to some news......

Ottawa aims to set temporary resident targets for the first time this fall

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/ottawa-aims-to-set-temporary-resident-targets-for-the-first-time-this-fall-8489796

OTTAWA — For the first time, Canada will set a "soft cap" on the number of new temporary resident arrivals to the country when it sets its immigration levels plan in the fall, Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced Thursday.

The announcement is the latest in a series of steps Miller has taken in recent months to rein in rampant population growth. 

The federal government plans to decrease the number of temporary residents to five per cent of the population over the next three years, down from the current 6.2 per cent

The first targets will be set in September. 

Canada has seen a sharp increase in the number of temporary residents coming in each year, with Miller saying in the past that the country has become "addicted" to temporary workers.

"Changes are needed to make the system more efficient and more sustainable," Miller told a news conference.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not trying to be condescending, not at all. I really feel for @Coconuts and what he and his group are faced with, it sucks. 

My experience with a lot of boomers was pretty much "suck it up, buttercup". Oh its hard, f u. That was pretty much my experience until I got a few years under my belt and had the confidence to go out on my own firm.

So my point isn't for coconuts to suck it up, its to not expect anything from most boomers.

I'd be fully supportive of them talking over every city hall and shutting things down until they got a real plan made for them.

Definitely, and I didn’t take your comment as condescending. It’s us boomers that are condescending when we expect @Coconuts generation to follow a path that worked for us but leaves them way short.

And I agree with your suggestion that they take control at the grass roots level of the systems that are failing them. Here’s a small example that will amount to nothing unless they realize how powerful they can be - 

A Reddit user posted a picture on the Loblaws sub of a ridiculously overpriced plant that got a lot of reaction. A woman in Ontario started a sub from one of the comments “Loblaws is out of control” and are now organizing a month long boycott of the company. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/loblaw-boycott-food-inflation

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Nice self own.

sorry- that might have been a bit harsh- had to go answer the phone and didn't fill out my thoughts.

Anyhow:

The attack the post, not the poster edict, has been in place both here and at CDC. Likely it is a rule on most website/forums.

Proper wording, has saved many a person from 'timeouts'.

Just as there are rules on how to play a soccer game, so to are there rules for debating/discussion boards.

Very, very few of us bother to read those rules-- thus the difficulties.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Definitely, and I didn’t take your comment as condescending. It’s us boomers that are condescending when we expect @Coconuts generation to follow a path that worked for us but leaves them way short.

And I agree with your suggestion that they take control at the grass roots level of the systems that are failing them. Here’s a small example that will amount to nothing unless they realize how powerful they can be - 

A Reddit user posted a picture on the Loblaws sub of a ridiculously overpriced plant that got a lot of reaction. A woman in Ontario started a sub from one of the comments “Loblaws is out of control” and are now organizing a month long boycott of the company. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/loblaw-boycott-food-inflation

I really don't know what else the U40s can do. They have to make life harder for the old farts otherwise the only time they'll become home owners is, maybe, when their parents die and the money isn't already used up.

If the U40s can take that anger and really turn it into MPs and MLAs from their group, that should scare the shit out of boomers in particular. No senior wants to feel unsafe and now imagine a bunch of pissed millennials controlling long term care purse strings. 

• Vintage 2

The cons confidence motion failed by a near 2/3 majority voting against it

The cons just played right into Trudeau's point .....  Strategists have been warning that Millhouse's constant and relentless hate and attack adds have a best before date and given enough time it will back fire on them...... 

Millhouse didn't offer a single idea , concept or suggestion on carbon and climate issues. Not one

The house has spoken and every hate seed he plants now on this is going to hurt them next year...... If he lasts in charge that long as the extreme far right might Jason Kenney him after loosing this vote 

A vote which Millhouse didn't even think was important to stay ..... His fundraising dinner was more.important so he video voted

He left work while on our dime to go to his side hustle and while still being paid dailed it in 

Best example of no clue how work life really happens ..... Most of us would be fired for bailing to a side hustle while being paid 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

As bad as Trudeau is ... It is the conservative party of Canada dividing this country and pitting neighbor vs neighbor .... In a "yer for us or the enemy"  mantra

Interesting, as from what I've seen across social media, including the old CDC, it's been more left wing folk promoting this mentality than right wing folk.

Some will even go so far as to say that being neutral or asking questions means being part of the opposition, which I find ridiculous.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Interesting, as from what I've seen across social media, including the old CDC, it's been more left wing folk promoting this mentality than right wing folk.

Some will even go so far as to say that being neutral or asking questions means being part of the opposition, which I find ridiculous.

I have seen the opposite.

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have seen the opposite.

Those them always think we us are conspiring against them.   We us always think those them are conspiring against us.   Personally, when I look at either of those statements, I think the opposite is true.

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

See you are exactly what I'm talking about. You aren't here to have discussions. You are here to try to "win" the discussion like you get some sort of currency for it. It's actually sad. You don't know me. You don't know nothing about me. You continue to lie about me. What's the point of all this. Getting sooo worked up just because I don't agree with you. 

I know you blame Trudeau for rising grocery prices.  I know you blame him for not doing enough to tackle corporate greed in that industry.  And I know for that specific reason (among many others) you are declaring your allegiance to a party leader with known ties to the Loblaws lobbying group.

Which part of that was a lie?

• ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

There is no room left for neutrality in today's politics.  Canadian society has been fully dragged into a culture war that has many (but not all) origins from the United States.

You should think about which current political party has been actively running a non-stop negative ad campaign two years before an election.  How many "Fuck Harper" signs do you think we saw 9 years ago before he got booted out?

14 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Disagree. Sure some from both sides feel that anyone not seeing things their way is part of the problem, however 

For the most part it's the f trudeau crowd that fly the flag ... And attack with a deep sense of nasty anyone not supporting them.

My street for example ... We have NDP , greens , conservatives that have been neighbors for years. We don't all share the same views and at times probably feel the others are wrong. But until the convoy movement it was neighbors first politics second 

Now ... A few hard right conservative houses are over the top flying f trudeau flags ... Stickers about taking Trudeau to the train station ( killing him ).  There is no close neighborhood anymore.  Conservatives demand that is politics first before anything else.  

It's not safe to post on social media with your name anymore locally if your not a conservative supporter. One person I know on my street  posted in a community Facebook page calling the anti sogi protests silly and found her self ambushed with hate comments , messages and posts calling out where.she worked etc 

The difference to me is I see the left leaning folks attacking the ideas of the right ... I see the right leaning folks attacking the people for their views ... 

Just my view and yes I have neighbors that although not close we would stop to chat and now I steer clear.

At the peak of the convoy protests locally I refused to join a group rallying and kept walking. I got called a commie and traitor for not accepting the flag they offered. One lady kept following me screaming I must be a commie and shame on me for not defending Canada. At my car I pointed to my vet plates and yelled that I do wave the flag .... It's right there on my vet plates ......... She gave the finger and just left ......

The left will talk your ear off telling you your wrong but never seen them go that far ...

I apologize on behalf of her for not recognizing your commitment and service to our Country. 

When politics become a cult, good people do/say very bad things. 

Cheers. 

17 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Disagree. Sure some from both sides feel that anyone not seeing things their way is part of the problem, however 

For the most part it's the f trudeau crowd that fly the flag ... And attack with a deep sense of nasty anyone not supporting them.

My street for example ... We have NDP , greens , conservatives that have been neighbors for years. We don't all share the same views and at times probably feel the others are wrong. But until the convoy movement it was neighbors first politics second 

Now ... A few hard right conservative houses are over the top flying f trudeau flags ... Stickers about taking Trudeau to the train station ( killing him ).  There is no close neighborhood anymore.  Conservatives demand that is politics first before anything else.  

It's not safe to post on social media with your name anymore locally if your not a conservative supporter. One person I know on my street  posted in a community Facebook page calling the anti sogi protests silly and found her self ambushed with hate comments , messages and posts calling out where.she worked etc 

The difference to me is I see the left leaning folks attacking the ideas of the right ... I see the right leaning folks attacking the people for their views ... 

Just my view and yes I have neighbors that although not close we would stop to chat and now I steer clear.

At the peak of the convoy protests locally I refused to join a group rallying and kept walking. I got called a commie and traitor for not accepting the flag they offered. One lady kept following me screaming I must be a commie and shame on me for not defending Canada. At my car I pointed to my vet plates and yelled that I do wave the flag .... It's right there on my vet plates ......... She gave the finger and just left ......

The left will talk your ear off telling you your wrong but never seen them go that far ...

I've seen the same examples that you laid out but with the roles reversed. It's certainly not all coming from just one side. I think it varies on everyone's experience.

27 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

There is no room left for neutrality in today's politics.  Canadian society has been fully dragged into a culture war that has many (but not all) origins from the United States.

You should think about which current political party has been actively running a non-stop negative ad campaign two years before an election.  How many "Fuck Harper" signs do you think we saw 9 years ago before he got booted out?

There is definitely room for neutrality. Some will try to make people believe otherwise, which I find to be culty and dangerous.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

so, tell me, which group wants to bring in laws that control your rights. Who wants to bring in laws that restrict women's health choices? only one party has tabled that. 

25 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I think the problem's more we're at a point where the right wing has taken an unprecedented shift to the right. This leaves a larger gap between the left and the right than there was before which is what makes everything seem so polarizing.

In order to get out of this, what has to happen is we have to see the right wing fail so that it can shift back to what it was in the days before Trump, a little closer to the center. I actually think this will happen, because if you go too far to the right, you abandon a large majority of voters including conservatives, which is why we're seeing the Republicans in the US divided. It's why we've seen the PPC gain traction, taking away from the Conservatives.

And, to any right wingers out there who think I'm saying these things just to be against the right wing: I'm not. All I'm doing is identifying the problem the right wing has at the moment and showing my want for them to fix their problems.