Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

In that case, I'm also going to assume you don't care about the rise in racial hate crimes either.  Nor would you care about the rise in gender hate crimes.  The entire world could be burning around you, but you don't care as long as you remain unscathed.  Is that right?  That's what you think being neutral is?

I'm gonna ask you again.  What's more important for the federal government to deal with: something that's happening in your personal experience, or something that's happening everywhere else to everyone else?  What do you think is the bigger issue in Canadian society?

Sigh, you're doing what many others have done here, in assuming other beliefs based on the opinion of another topic.

These are silly conclusions you're coming to.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Not all, it's probably a small percentage. I know some people that went, and they were upset that they were put out of work, had their businesses closed, etc. Makes sense that Pierre would go to win them over.

and so here we are, you're OK with a few there, as if it doesn't matter. I'm not, it tells me a lot about PPs character, of lack of it. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

and so here we are, you're OK with a few there, as if it doesn't matter. I'm not, it tells me a lot about PPs character, of lack of it. 

No, I'd rather no one be making death threats, planning/using violence, etc.

Just now, Master Mind said:

Sigh, you're doing what many others have done here, in assuming other beliefs based on the opinion of another topic.

Why then do you not just come out and start discussing what you do believe in?   I think those cards have long been held closely to your chest while you discuss the decorum of others and compile an ever growing list those things you are 'neutral' about.   We might then stop coming to such 'silly conclusions'.    

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Here we go again.  Spitting in the face of facts.

You are claiming far-left extremism (ie. eco-terrorism) as not only an equivalent, but greater problem plaguing Canadian society compared to far-right extremism (race, gender).  I have presented you with cold, hard statistics showing you otherwise.  And I think someone else presented you with CSIS data.  But lemme guess - you don't care, do you?

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

image.png.26862622bac6e45e957fa579edca4e66.png

I think we can all agree this is unsustainable and will bring more homelessness, more crime, etc. 

I agree. So who is responsible for the current immigration policy?  We all know who it is but some people want to pivot and say the Trudeau government isn’t responsible for anything and how dare we blame the immigrants for all of our problems. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

No, I'd rather no one be making death threats, planning/using violence, etc.

Thats good. This might be a bit eye opening for you. Most of the extremism we're seeing is from the far right. Yes there are some far left, but the majority is folks that were standing with the truckers. 

CSIS identifies four sub-categories of IMVE: xenophobic, gender-driven, anti-authority and other personal grievance-driven violence and notes that IMVE threat actors can be motivated by more than one grievance or occupy more than one of these sub-categories or transition from one to another.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2022/parl/xc76-1/XC76-1-1-441-6-eng.pdf

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Nope, he did not.   But I am done on this for a while as it does not seem worth the time.   I have to admit I'm becoming - as per your definition - neutral.

spacer.png

😉

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Why then do you not just come out and start discussing what you do believe in?   I think those cards have long been held closely to your chest while you discuss the decorum of others and compile an ever growing list those things you are 'neutral' about.   We might then stop coming to such 'silly conclusions'.    

I have been doing that.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. So who is responsible for the current immigration policy?  We all know who it is but some people want to pivot and say the Trudeau government isn’t responsible for anything and how dare we blame the immigrants for all of our problems. 

Trudeau leads the government and after years of beneficial immigration is coming to terms with the fact that a slowdown is needed.   Let's see what happens next.

And yes, how dare we blame the immigrants for all our problems?

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Here we go again.  Spitting in the face of facts.

You are claiming far-left extremism (ie. eco-terrorism) as not only an equivalent, but greater problem plaguing Canadian society compared to far-right extremism (race, gender).  I have presented you with cold, hard statistics showing you otherwise.  And I think someone else presented you with CSIS data.  But lemme guess - you don't care, do you?

That was not my claim.

Don't misrepresent my posts like this if you expect me to continue discussions with you.

Trudeau leads the government and after years of beneficial immigration is coming to terms with the fact that a slowdown is needed.   Let's see what happens next.

And yes, how dare we blame the immigrants for all our problems?

So Trudeau finally figured out that bringing in 1 million immigrants per year is not sustainable so he’s changing course. And you think the average person is just going to along with it like no big deal?  He literally has screwed up our housing crisis and made it 20x worse. 

Thank God the average Canadian understands this and will vote him out of power soon enough before he does irreparable damage to this country. $2.1 trillion debt with $50 billion interest payment. He’s lucky the people don’t throw him in jail for ruining their future. 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't mind the government setting up grocery stores to be honest.  Keep profit to a minimum and force the corporations to keep prices reasonable to compete.

Great idea King....

The drop in prices of soybeans alone would make it worthwhile.....:classic_cool:

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

spacer.png

😉

I have been doing that.

A while only lasts for a while.  I see no need to accuse me of lying and consider that a bit rude.

I stand by my questions and statements. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Thats good. This might be a bit eye opening for you. Most of the extremism we're seeing is from the far right. Yes there are some far left, but the majority is folks that were standing with the truckers. 

CSIS identifies four sub-categories of IMVE: xenophobic, gender-driven, anti-authority and other personal grievance-driven violence and notes that IMVE threat actors can be motivated by more than one grievance or occupy more than one of these sub-categories or transition from one to another.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2022/parl/xc76-1/XC76-1-1-441-6-eng.pdf

I didn't deny this in my initial response to you, in fact I acknowledged that others have different experiences. You were asking about me personally, not society overall, at least that was my takeaway from your post.

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Only in the sense that more people will mean more crime, not in that immigrants commit more crimes than non immigrants.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I don't think Duo was suggesting that, but it's an easy connection to make and I'm sure the usual suspects would be more than happy to do so......

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Trudeau finally figured out that bringing in 1 million immigrants per year is not sustainable so he’s changing course. And you think the average person is just going to along with it like no big deal?  He literally has screwed up our housing crisis and made it 20x worse. 

Thank God the average Canadian understands this and will vote him out of power soon enough before he does irreparable damage to this country. $2.1 trillion debt with $50 billion interest payment. He’s lucky the people don’t throw him in jail for ruining their future. 

Again, that is the total Federal and Provincial debt.  Only a portion of that is from JT's run.  You know this.  At least you should know this.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

A while only lasts for a while.  I see no need to accuse me of lying and consider that a bit rude.

I stand by my questions and statements. 

I figured the emoji would make it clear that it was in jest.

I stand by my statement in that I have addressed your question.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, you're just not thinking very hard then if you think we're all in agreement here.

Put some thought into what you're saying here.  What immigration number are you looking for?  And what do you think will be the ramifications of that number?

2 hours ago, 112 said:

Absolutely. Of all the things people try to pin on the Liberal government, immigration is one that actually holds water imo. Immigration is typically a good thing for a country like Canada (our population would be shrinking without it), but these numbers are far too high, especially with the housing crisis.

FWIW, someone posted an article that referenced a study / analysis done by Scotiabank that pegged 350k per year as the benchmark.

I didn't delve too deeply into the article and I'm certainly not qualified to analyze that sort of data myself, but that was the number they came up with.

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well, it looks like some people are really going to run with it and describe it all in the most horrifying way (not that I'm calling you average 3-Petey) and then predict our future in the most amazingly Kreskin way.   

Are Canadians starting to talk about throwing politicians in jail these days?

EDIT - if my response seems harsh it's really because your last line seemed to me to be equally so.

Edited by Satchmo

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I generally agree with your assessment Ricky, but as a self-styled "Climate Activist" myself, I feel like there should be a clear distinction between "activism" and "vandalism".

As much as I advocate for Climate Change mitigation initiatives, I definitely draw the line as property damage. I feel the people that engage in these sorts of actions are misguided and actually hurt the cause far more than they help.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Well, it looks like some people are going to really going to run with it and describe it all in the most horrifying way (not that I'm calling you average 3-Petey) and then predict our future in the most amazingly Kreskin way.   

Are Canadians starting to talk about throwing politicians in jail these days?

The little old lady ahead of me in line at the garden center this morning thinks Trudeau should be in jail.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

My neighbour had his catalytic converter stolen a couple of months ago. Pretty sure it was the liberals

100%

Us Liberals are definitely against conversion therapy....

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That was not my claim.

Don't misrepresent my posts like this if you expect me to continue discussions with you.

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

This would be a similar sentiment to my recent reply, but for this example, I think it boils down to individual experiences.

For me, it's far-left activists causing more trouble. Slashing tires to prevent driving due to their climate change concerns, or vandalizing street signs with "genocide". Just two recent examples. Not that their concerns aren't valid, but their methods are destructive (at least where I am). I don't doubt that others have have bad experiences with the far-right, but I haven't experienced it.

"The entire world could be burning around you, but you don't care as long as you remain unscathed"

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Those of who had interactions with mastemind on CDC are well aware of his political leanings and overall feelings on the matter. Although he'd only drop by from time to time, his excessive use of confusey faces on anything remotely liberal supported these conclusions.

He did spend a lot of time defending Jordan Pewterschmidt when that popped up but would only do drive bys in the political threads. I do remember a post he made about the BLM protests as being one of most abhorrent and blatently racist things I've ever read on CDC as well, which probably led to his demise, but I digress. It's a clean slate here on CFF but let's not pretend that we're all not well aware of where people stood before we got here. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1