Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Maninthebox said:

The little old lady ahead of me in line at the garden center this morning thinks Trudeau should be in jail.

If you can't trust a little old lady at the garden center then who can you trust?

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I generally agree with your assessment Ricky, but as a self-styled "Climate Activist" myself, I feel like there should be a clear distinction between "activism" and "vandalism".

As much as I advocate for Climate Change mitigation initiatives, I definitely draw the line as property damage. I feel the people that engage in these sorts of actions are misguided and actually hurt the cause far more than they help.

I certainly don't disagree with you. In the same token though, I think it's fair to say these so called "activists" seem to think the damage they are causing is in the name of activism, which is part of the problem.

I won't disagree with any of that either 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

I certainly don't disagree with you. In the same token though, I think it's fair to say these so called "activists" seem to think the damage they are causing is in the name of activism, which is part of the problem.

Agreed. And I wish it were otherwise.

Unfortunately, there always seems to be a lunatic fringe for every cause.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

"The entire world could be burning around you, but you don't care as long as you remain unscathed"

I don't know how you draw that conclusion from that quoted post, but it's disingenuous at best.

4 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

The little old lady ahead of me in line at the garden center this morning thinks Trudeau should be in jail.

My mom should not be buying anymore plants, she has enough.

i went over for a visit yesterday. Within 5mins I stopped her in the middle of a sentence about kitty litter in an elemetry school.

I said " my big brother was just over wasn't he?" 

She laughed and admitted he was. She talked about every fearmongering point he had dug up on Facebook since last seeing her,( creeps in washrooms, crime on the streets, immigration, civil war..). I walked her back from the edge and we have a nice afternoon. 

Our poor older folks will believe a lot. I hate to see them worry.  I am happy that she has me to point out the beauty in life, to remind her that we will be ok.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My mom should not be buying anymore plants, she has enough.

i went over for a visit yesterday. Within 5mins I stopped her in the middle of a sentence about kitty litter in an elemetry school.

I said " my big brother was just over wasn't he?" 

She laughed and admitted he was. She talked about every fearmongering point he had dug up on Facebook since last seeing her,( creeps in washrooms, crime on the streets, immigration, civil war..). I walked her back from the edge and we have a nice afternoon. 

Our poor older folks will believe a lot. I hate to see them worry.  I am happy that she has me to point out the beauty in life, to remind her that we will be ok.

Fun fact: Some Elementary Schools do indeed keep a bag of cat litter on hand.

Also fun fact: It's about the best thing for putting under your tires when your car gets stuck in the school parking lot.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I don't know how you draw that conclusion from that quoted post, but it's disingenuous at best.

Disingenuous perhaps, an exaggeration perhaps,  but it is a conclusion that is understandable given the recent discussions.

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank God the average Canadian understands this and will vote him out of power soon enough before he does irreparable damage to this country. $2.1 trillion debt with $50 billion interest payment. He’s lucky the people don’t throw him in jail for ruining their future. 

You're being as dishonest and misleading as Pierre is with this kind of stuff.

You're better than this.

You know full well how much Trudeau is responsible for, how much the ENTIRE government is responsible for during covid as an ALL PARTY ASSEMBLY and how much the Liberal NDP coalition is responsible for.  You know you're lumping in provincial debvt as well, provinces made up of a majority Conservative rule.

So try to do better than lying to people; lie to yourself fine.  But we're not stupid.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Fun fact: Some Elementary Schools do indeed keep a bag of cat litter on hand.

Also fun fact: It's about the best thing for putting under your tires when your car gets stuck in the school parking lot.

Thats what I told her.

I remember the Joe Rogan lie and follow up about it. We also have people literally working in the school system in our fam!!

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Disingenuous perhaps, an exaggeration perhaps,  but it is a conclusion that is understandable given the recent discussions.

It is understandable if logic isn't followed, and logical fallacies are followed instead.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The status-quo is unaffordability, and its seemingly only going to get worse.

I know hes talked about some things in regards to housing, and im sure there will be more as we get closer, but ultimately i disagree with the bolded from an analytical standpoint, its not how politics works imo.

PP doesnt need utopian solutions when people are broke & tired of the current govt, he just needs to be an alternative to win. Thats democracy for you. 

Affordability is not on the government though. It's a global phenomenon that was caused by a global pandemic and wars and proxy wars involving oil producing countries. The Suez canal was blocked for a while and terrorists are disrupting a global trade route. How is that on our government?

The corporations set the prices not the government. Are you suggesting government control on pricing? I thought the right was against such things? The cons usually empower corporations with tax breaks and less regulation. Under the cons, our food industries had several outbreaks of listeria and other dangerous bacteria because they lowered standards for the wealthy corporations at the expense of regular Canadians. This is the sort of thing to expect from them.

Hopefully more voters educate themselves with facts and not opinions. I'd rather have democracy based on knowledge rather than just change for the sake of change.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats what I told her.

I remember the Joe Rogan lie and follow up about it. We also have people literally working in the school system in our fam!!

Same. My daughter works with Kindergartners....not a litter box to be found anywhere in the school.....(although she does say that recess is pretty much exactly like herding cats)

• Haha 1

Just now, Master Mind said:

It is understandable if logic isn't followed, and logical fallacies are followed instead.

I made a career of logic.  I do not think the statements you have been making are as easy to decipher as you seem to think they are.

5 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Logic dictates that the most pressing problems in Canadian society are what's been recorded by police data across the entire nation, not what's happening in your backyard.  

CSIS is telling you right-wing extremism is getting worse.  Statistics Canada is telling you right-wing extremism is getting worse.  The goddamned police is telling you right-wing extremism is getting worse.  And your response to that is "I'm sticking to my logic"

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I made a career of logic.  I do not think the statements you have been making are as easy to decipher as you seem to think they are.

Then you would be aware that not being overly concerned about one topic =/= not caring about any other topic.

Speaking of old people, anecdotal I know, I was having a beer with a couple of buddies last night on the boundary dyke when an older feller comes walking by, probably in his late 60s. While approaching he remarks how it's nice to see a group of white people hanging around, he never sees that anymore. Then he proceeds to tell us that he can't believe Trudeau survived a vote of confidence yesterday and that a bullet would solve everything. We basically stood there in silence and nodded till he moved on but yeah, some old people, wtf?

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Logic dictates that the most pressing problems in Canadian society are what's been recorded by police data across the entire nation, not what's happening in your backyard.  

CSIS is telling you right-wing extremism is getting worse.  Statistics Canada is telling you right-wing extremism is getting worse.  The goddamned police is telling you right-wing extremism is getting worse.  And your response to that is "I'm sticking to my logic"

You're misrepresenting me again.

I have no more to say to you.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Master Mind said:

You're misrepresenting me again.

I have no more to say to you.

Holy Jesus. 

What the hell are you trying to say, then?  Stop being smug about this whole thing and just speak your mind, man.

"You're misrepresenting me"

Dude, just fucking say what you are trying to say, and say it clearly.  Almost everyone here thinks you're telling us that "left-extremism is worse than right-wing extremism in this country".  If that is somehow misrepresenting you, stop complaining and explain yourself.

34 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Those of who had interactions with mastemind on CDC are well aware of his political leanings and overall feelings on the matter. Although he'd only drop by from time to time, his excessive use of confusey faces on anything remotely liberal supported these conclusions.

He did spend a lot of time defending Jordan Pewterschmidt when that popped up but would only do drive bys in the political threads. I do remember a post he made about the BLM protests as being one of most abhorrent and blatently racist things I've ever read on CDC as well, which probably led to his demise, but I digress. It's a clean slate here on CFF but let's not pretend that we're all not well aware of where people stood before we got here. 

This post contains false claims.

I haven't received a warning since 2010, let alone have I said anything egregious enough to get banned.

I use the confusey because I think some people argue in bad faith, so I don't think it's worth my time to reply. That is what I often see from your posts, which is why I don't engage with you, and won't again going forward.

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Holy Jesus. 

What the hell are you trying to say, then?  Stop being smug about this whole thing and just speak your mind, man.

Dude, just fucking say what you are trying to say, and say it clearly.  Almost everyone here thinks you're telling us that "left-extremism is worse than right-wing extremism in this country".  If that is somehow misrepresenting you, stop complaining and explain yourself.

He was clear in his original post on this particular topic that he was speaking to his experience. You aren't arguing the same point. Move on.

• Cheers 2

@Master Mind You need to think about what you're saying here.  You are a very difficult person to understand, and that's not a good thing.  "You don't know me" isn't a good thing to say when you've been a part of this community for years and years.

Anyone who has followed me in this thread should know who I am, what my background is, and where my beliefs lie.  If people "don't know who I am", how am I supposed to get people to understand what I'm saying?  Nobody is perfect, and I'm certainly not always going to be right.  But I will at least try to make my position and my point as clear as possible.

You don't.

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're being as dishonest and misleading as Pierre is with this kind of stuff.

You're better than this.

You know full well how much Trudeau is responsible for, how much the ENTIRE government is responsible for during covid as an ALL PARTY ASSEMBLY and how much the Liberal NDP coalition is responsible for.  You know you're lumping in provincial debvt as well, provinces made up of a majority Conservative rule.

So try to do better than lying to people; lie to yourself fine.  But we're not stupid.

But that's what he has been saying in most his posts these days... people ITT are 'dumb', 'anyone with over 50 IQ'...the quote you posted ' thank god the average Canadian'...

All this crap to prefix his statements with an implication of...if you dont agree you are not intelligent. 

Just thought I would point this out as a discussion about conversational decorum is going on in the last couple pages.

Arguing in good faith and all that...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1