Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

17 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Speaking of old people, anecdotal I know, I was having a beer with a couple of buddies last night on the boundary dyke when an older feller comes walking by, probably in his late 60s. While approaching he remarks how it's nice to see a group of white people hanging around, he never sees that anymore. Then he proceeds to tell us that he can't believe Trudeau survived a vote of confidence yesterday and that a bullet would solve everything. We basically stood there in silence and nodded till he moved on but yeah, some old people, wtf?

should have told him you were looking for Jewish space lasers that are coming for Canada. 

• Haha 1

Thread, is there something anyone here would like to know about me in relation to politics?  Or is there something I've said that you don't understand?  Because when people don't understand what I'm saying, that means I did a poor job explaining myself and need to do better.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Then you would be aware that not being overly concerned about one topic =/= not caring about any other topic.

Yes, that is obvious.   Why do you ask?   I do not see how it is any part of a compelling argument.

I remain curious about what you do care about and expect a reply telling me you have already made that crystal clear.

Cut costs or increase revenues? Somethings gotta give. These headlines are tough to read, but maybe I’m just feeding into a doomsday mindset regarding the economic outlook.

Canada Government Spending Growing Twice the Pace of Revenue

• Deficit for 2023-2024 fiscal year to date is C$25.7 billion (for a 10 month period)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-22/canada-government-spending-grows-at-twice-the-pace-of-revenue?srnd=homepage-canada&leadSource=reddit_wall&embedded-checkout=true

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Thread, is there something anyone here would like to know about me in relation to politics?  Or is there something I've said that you don't understand?  Because when people don't understand what I'm saying, that means I did a poor job explaining myself and need to do better.  

You’ve never voted liberal if I recall correctly so who do you think you’ll vote for in the next federal election? Granted it will be what feels like an eternity away so lots can change. 

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

You’ve never voted liberal if I recall correctly so who do you think you’ll vote for in the next federal election? Granted it will be what feels like an eternity away so lots can change. 

Unfortunately I live in a Conservative stronghold so my vote is essentially wasted.  If it were a tight race in my riding (really not gonna happen), I'd vote strategically.  Otherwise... probably NDP if I had to vote today.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Unfortunately I live in a Conservative stronghold so my vote is essentially wasted.

I share your grief as my story is the same.  I still stand up every time just to be counted but it hurts a bit knowing I have not voted for a winner in decades.

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I share your grief as my story is the same.  I still stand up every time just to be counted but it hurts a bit knowing I have not voted for a winner in decades.

Come to think of it, Trudeau's always got one last ace in the hole if he's absolutely desperate: electoral reform.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Come to think of it, Trudeau's always got one last ace in the hole if he's absolutely desperate: electoral reform.

That would be a nice parting gift from him, to fulfill one of his main original promises.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

54 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Cut costs or increase revenues? Somethings gotta give. These headlines are tough to read, but maybe I’m just feeding into a doomsday mindset regarding the economic outlook.

Canada Government Spending Growing Twice the Pace of Revenue

• Deficit for 2023-2024 fiscal year to date is C$25.7 billion (for a 10 month period)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-22/canada-government-spending-grows-at-twice-the-pace-of-revenue?srnd=homepage-canada&leadSource=reddit_wall&embedded-checkout=true

we do need to have an actual, adult conversation about this. You're correct, this cannot continue. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

That would be a nice parting gift from him, to fulfill one of his main original promises.

Skippy's Club would revolt. You'd see Alberta having separation referendums, more "trucker" blockades, etc. etc. But... once we got through all of that, I think we'd be better off. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Skippy's Club would revolt. You'd see Alberta having separation referendums, more "trucker" blockades, etc. etc. But... once we got through all of that, I think we'd be better off. 

According to a couple posters on this board I'm team "Skippy" and I want electoral reform 🤷

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

According to a couple posters on this board I'm team "Skippy" and I want electoral reform 🤷

I mean I get it, I voted for Trudeau and he annoys the crap out of me. 

I used to vote PC, back when they actually didn't attract the social con wing or the pity party alienation crowd. When I look back on all of the really transformative things Mulroney's government did, and then compare that to Skippy's non-plan of "I'm not Justin" it makes me ill.

I just wish the CPC had picked Ambrose. She would have beaten JT back in the SNC scandal days, and I do think we would be in a better financial position. She actually was one of the only former Harper folks that chose to work with Team Canada on NAFTA 2.0. Showed a lot of character doing that. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Same.  PG has been CON/Reform longer than I've been able to vote.  Provincially, the exception was the Lois Boone (NDP) days.  And somehow, we've had MPs with some of the highest travel expenses in the nation.  

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

According to yourself, you're not anything.  No political beliefs whatsoever.

Just being mad.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

According to yourself, you're not anything.  No political beliefs whatsoever.

Just being mad.

This is pure irony...

Also pretty sure that wanting electoral reform is a political belief? What do I know though 🤷

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This is pure irony...

Also pretty sure that wanting electoral reform is a political belief? What do I know though 🤷

You've had multiple chances to clarify your position on many things.  And multiple times you've responded with things that just made everyone more confused.

After many days, nobody still has any clue what you stand for.

Edited by Miss Korea

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You've had multiple chances to clarify your position on many things.  And multiple times you've responded with things that just made everyone more confused.

After multiple days, nobody still has any clue what you stand for.

I have made clear what I feel I need to. You can go back and read my posts. If that's not good enough than tough shit. This isn't debate club. I don't owe you anything. I'm here to have discussions not grill every poster on their specific stances on everything in hopes you can spring with some gotcha. It's exhausting. Move on already. I have nothing to add to our discussion at this point in stage.

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

7 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I have made clear what I feel I need to. You can go back and read my posts. If that's not good enough than tough shit. This isn't debate club. I don't owe you anything. I'm here to have discussions not grill every poster on their specific stances on everything in hopes you can spring with some gotcha. It's exhausting. Move on already. I have nothing to add to our discussion at this point in stage.

You're not really having a discussion with anyone here.  You say something that makes little sense, and when someone asks you what you meant, you reply with something even more confusing.  People are frustrated at your lack of clarity.  That has nothing to with debate.  Nobody is trying to pin you with a gotcha.  You just don't make any sense when you talk.

Even now, you're still talking, but saying very little.  Your average conversation goes like this:

"I have brown eyes."

"Ricky wtf does that have to do with our topic?"

"This isn't a debate."

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You're not really having a discussion with anyone here.  You say something that makes little sense, and when someone asks you what you meant, you reply with something even more confusing.  People are frustrated at your lack of clarity.  That has nothing to with debate.  Nobody is trying to pin you with a gotcha.  You just don't make any sense when you talk.

Even now, you're still talking, but saying very little.  Your average conversation goes like this:

"I have brown eyes."

"Ricky wtf does that have to do with our topic?"

"This isn't a debate."

I can see your point but:

No one ever expects any kind of Spanish Inquisition. | by ...

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm really curious - what do you see the benefits being? 

One of the things that bugs me the most is for example in 2015 the Liberals won a majority with only 39.5% of the popular vote... Then 46% of seats with only 33% of popular vote. I don't think any party should be running a government with that little of popular votes. Especially a majority. Then there's the problem with stratigic voting. I get it but I hate that people have to resort to that to make sure someone else doesn't win. You aren't even voting for who you want. Just who you are trying to make lose. Seems backwards to me.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

One of the things that bugs me the most is for example in 2015 the Liberals won a majority with only 39.5% of the popular vote... Then 46% of seats with only 33% of popular vote. I don't think any party should be running a government with that little of popular votes. Especially a majority. Then there's the problem with stratigic voting. I get it but I hate that people have to resort to that to make sure someone else doesn't win. You aren't even voting for who you want. Just who you are trying to make lose. Seems backwards to me.

Well since 1980, only 2 PMs got north of 40%.  Mulroney and Chretien.  Since the 50's, only Mulroney in 1984 got 50%.

This is part of the problem with multiparty systems.  You will be hard pressed to see north of 40%.

• Cheers 2