Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

I hate that people have to resort to that to make sure someone else doesn't win. You aren't even voting for who you want. Just who you are trying to make lose. Seems backwards to me.

Also, fuck Trudeau.  JT gotta go I don't care who takes over but he gotta go

😒

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I hate that people have to resort to that to make sure someone else doesn't win. You aren't even voting for who you want. Just who you are trying to make lose. Seems backwards to me.

Also, fuck Trudeau.  JT gotta go I don't care who takes over but he gotta go

😒

You actually think PP would be better for women's rights and the country? 

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

One of the things that bugs me the most is for example in 2015 the Liberals won a majority with only 39.5% of the popular vote... Then 46% of seats with only 33% of popular vote. I don't think any party should be running a government with that little of popular votes. Especially a majority. Then there's the problem with stratigic voting. I get it but I hate that people have to resort to that to make sure someone else doesn't win. You aren't even voting for who you want. Just who you are trying to make lose. Seems backwards to me.

do you think Poilievere would accept it tho? I think he'd go nuts if JT and Jag tried to bring this in now. 

4 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Yes, that is obvious.   Why do you ask?   I do not see how it is any part of a compelling argument.

I remain curious about what you do care about and expect a reply telling me you have already made that crystal clear.

I noticed that you upvoted Joey's post, which contains blatant lies. I'm not surprised at the others who did, I've thought for some time that they don't argue in good faith.

You believe him without question, yet doubt my posts. Your double standard is very apparent, and thus I don't think you argue in good faith, so I won't be continuing with you going forward.

Have a nice life.

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

do you think Poilievere would accept it tho? I think he'd go nuts if JT and Jag tried to bring this in now. 

I doubt they would change the system now, but rather the Liberals make a renewed commitment into electoral reform, to take effect the election after the next one.

Need to fit in a national referendum, as to which particular type of reform the majority want.

Heck, people might even decide to stick with how we do it now; especially if all the pluses and minuses of each system is revealed.

• MillerTime 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You're being as dishonest and misleading as Pierre is with this kind of stuff.

You're better than this.

You know full well how much Trudeau is responsible for, how much the ENTIRE government is responsible for during covid as an ALL PARTY ASSEMBLY and how much the Liberal NDP coalition is responsible for.  You know you're lumping in provincial debvt as well, provinces made up of a majority Conservative rule.

So try to do better than lying to people; lie to yourself fine.  But we're not stupid.

$2.1 trillion is the national debt, it has nothing to do with the provinces.  You can continue to blame COVID and everything else under the sun for this massive debt that will never be paid off, but there is ample evidence of Trudeau's overspending during this time period that was completely unnecessary.

42% of the population who are going to vote for the Conservative party as of today aren't stupid either, even though some posters in here make them out to be that way.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I doubt they would change the system now, but rather the Liberals make a renewed commitment into electoral reform, to take effect the election after the next one.

Need to fit in a national referendum, as to which particular type of reform the majority want.

Heck, people might even decide to stick with how we do it now; especially if all the pluses and minuses of each system is revealed.

That's true, BC went through that process.

20 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I noticed that you upvoted Joey's post, which contains blatant lies. I'm not surprised at the others who did, I've thought for some time that they don't argue in good faith.

You believe him without question, yet doubt my posts. Your double standard is very apparent, and thus I don't think you argue in good faith, so I won't be continuing with you going forward.

Have a nice life.

Thanks, I will.

• Cheers 1

One of the leading conservative freedom convoy groups has rebranded to national carbon tax protest and is organizing protests for ap 1.  On there social media page some poor soul posted the question that if not carbon tax then what is the plan to do deal with climate change.....  These are PP's biggest supporters

Reply after reply claiming Trudeau was cloud seeding and spraying chemical ( the jet white lines in the sky are in fact chemical spray) ... And that as soon as PP is elected and orders the climate manipulation stopped that we won't have climate issues 

The conservative base has become so radicalized as to be delusional

Google "birds aren't real" 

It's a satirical group making fun of the illogical fear mongering and how gullible people are getting.....  Kinda scary how easy it is to con people with concepts that until conspiracy parties became main stream would have resulted in phych evaluations 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Sapper said:

One of the leading conservative freedom convoy groups has rebranded to national carbon tax protest and is organizing protests for ap 1.  On there social media page some poor soul posted the question that if not carbon tax then what is the plan to do deal with climate change.....  These are PP's biggest supporters

Reply after reply claiming Trudeau was cloud seeding and spraying chemical ( the jet white lines in the sky are in fact chemical spray) ... And that as soon as PP is elected and orders the climate manipulation stopped that we won't have climate issues 

It's a satirical group making fun of the illogical fear mongering and how gullible people are getting.....  Kinda scary how easy it is to con people with concepts that until conspiracy parties became main stream would have resulted in phych evaluations 

Trudeau Chem trails? FML

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$2.1 trillion is the national debt, it has nothing to do with the provinces.  You can continue to blame COVID and everything else under the sun for this massive debt that will never be paid off, but there is ample evidence of Trudeau's overspending during this time period that was completely unnecessary.

42% of the population who are going to vote for the Conservative party as of today aren't stupid either, even though some posters in here make them out to be that way.  

It has everything to do with the provinces.

You;'re either ignorant, lying or intentionally misleading people.

https://www.debtclock.ca/

As well, there was an almost $680 million national debt before Trudeau took over.  Harper alone was responsible for over $300 million of that WITHOUT any major issues like oil shocks, covid crisis, supply chain issues or global inflation.

So are you lying or are you ignorant?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't know? They are polling well enough currently I don't see why he should. But I could see where you are coming from

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

She is a smart little cookie...

She’s an idiot. 

I’m speaking based on legality. Trudeau’s done nothing wrong in that part.

People need to educate themselves and/or shut the fuck up. 

Would any of us take any advice for anything from a little old lady in a store when it comes to Federal policy? 

No. Of course not. 

Stop this shit. 

I’m handing out bans right now. Think before you type. Bring evidence before spouting off the cuff if you’re making an allegation. 

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It has everything to do with the provinces.

You;'re either ignorant, lying or intentionally misleading people.

https://www.debtclock.ca/

As well, there was an almost $680 million national debt before Trudeau took over.  Harper alone was responsible for over $300 million of that WITHOUT any major issues like oil shocks, covid crisis, supply chain issues or global inflation.

So are you lying or are you ignorant?

Yes, you are correct.  The federal debt is $1.2 trillion.  It was $619 billion in 2015 when Trudeau took over, so it has doubled in 8 years.

The federal debt has doubled from $619.3 billion in 2015-16, the first year of Trudeau's government, to $1.2 trillion last year.

Canada's debt charges are ballooning as Freeland tables a gloomy fall economic statement | CBC News

Not sure what you mean by Harper being responsible for over $300 million.  When Harper took over in 2006 the federal debt was $482 billion.  When he left office it was $628 billion.  

Canada Government Debt (tradingeconomics.com)

Trudeau promised to balance the budget in 4 years after his election.  That obviously did not happen. 

Justin Trudeau says vow to balance budget in 4 years is 'very' cast in stone | CBC News

The balanced budget was supposed to happen prior to COVID.  Chretien was able to keep his promises.  Trudeau did not.  You can argue about everything that has happened since 2020, but the federal debt was climbing every year prior to COVID and there was no indication that the federal budget would ever get balanced under Trudeau.  There was also alot of reckless spending during COVID that didn't need to happen.  I posted an article on that months ago but I can't find it anymore.  It was a nice breakdown of all of the government expenses during 2020.  If I find it again I will post it.

Also, Alberta is posting budget surpluses, so you can't say that they are in any way responsible for the increase in the debt.  Alberta has actually run a surplus for 4 straight years.  They have had a conservative government since 2019.

Alberta Budget 2024: Keeps fiscal surplus and lowest provincial debt burden - RBC Thought Leadership

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

So that's why he flies around so much!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Many of them are absolutely stupid. Just like any group of people....  

Average Person' Quote

EDIT: And ffs..all that debt isn't from the Libs. Harper couldn't run a balanced budget himself unless it involved selling off assets. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, you are correct.  The federal debt is $1.2 trillion.  It was $619 billion in 2015 when Trudeau took over, so it has doubled in 8 years.

The federal debt has doubled from $619.3 billion in 2015-16, the first year of Trudeau's government, to $1.2 trillion last year.

Canada's debt charges are ballooning as Freeland tables a gloomy fall economic statement | CBC News

Not sure what you mean by Harper being responsible for over $300 million.  When Harper took over in 2006 the federal debt was $482 billion.  When he left office it was $628 billion.  

Canada Government Debt (tradingeconomics.com)

Trudeau promised to balance the budget in 4 years after his election.  That obviously did not happen. 

Justin Trudeau says vow to balance budget in 4 years is 'very' cast in stone | CBC News

The balanced budget was supposed to happen prior to COVID.  Chretien was able to keep his promises.  Trudeau did not.  You can argue about everything that has happened since 2020, but the federal debt was climbing every year prior to COVID and there was no indication that the federal budget would ever get balanced under Trudeau.  There was also alot of reckless spending during COVID that didn't need to happen.  I posted an article on that months ago but I can't find it anymore.  It was a nice breakdown of all of the government expenses during 2020.  If I find it again I will post it.

Also, Alberta is posting budget surpluses, so you can't say that they are in any way responsible for the increase in the debt.  Alberta has actually run a surplus for 4 straight years.  They have had a conservative government since 2019.

Alberta Budget 2024: Keeps fiscal surplus and lowest provincial debt burden - RBC Thought Leadership

Criticizing the Liberals for deficit spending is fair game - completely deserved.

Praising the UCP for running a surplus is not.  Their health care system and schools are unbelievably overcrowded, and Smith keeps trying to privatize it.

You can't brag about a surplus after you just laid off hundreds of nurses and teaching assistants.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Criticizing the Liberals for deficit spending is fair game - completely deserved.

Praising the UCP for running a surplus is not.  Their health care system and schools are unbelievably overcrowded, and Smith keeps trying to privatize it.

You can't brag about a surplus after you just laid off hundreds of nurses and teaching assistants.

Hippy brought up the fact that the Conservative provinces were somewhat responsible for our runaway debt.  So, I brought up the point that Alberta has actually had a surplus for 4 years in a row, so they obviously have not contributed to the debt at all, in fact they have helped to reduce it marginally.

As for the nurses and teaching assistants, that is for a different debate as I am not privy on those numbers...

46 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Many of them are absolutely stupid. Just like any group of people....  

Average Person' Quote

EDIT: And ffs..all that debt isn't from the Libs. Harper couldn't run a balanced budget himself unless it involved selling off assets. 

The federal debt was $619 billion when Trudeau took office.  It is now $1.2 trillion and climbing.  So how can you say that debt isn't from the Liberals and why are you still blaming Harper for stuff when he hasn't even been around for almost 9 years?

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hippy brought up the fact that the Conservative provinces were somewhat responsible for our runaway debt.  So, I brought up the point that Alberta has actually had a surplus for 4 years in a row, so they obviously have not contributed to the debt at all, in fact they have helped to reduce it marginally.

As for the nurses and teaching assistants, that is for a different debate as I am not privy on those numbers...

You do realize that a budget is just a pfa number. It can be set to be over or under. 
On a side note I would think that Albertans would be among the leaders for personal debt. 

Edited by Spur1