Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

You mean this? https://www.biv.com/news/economy-law-politics/pierre-poilievre-gets-downs-to-business-with-board-of-trade-8418197

He doesn't explain how he'd do any of this. His crime talk eg is just recycled Harper era crap that won't survive a challenge. 

There's no explanation at all of how he'd accomplish anything.

Thanks for that link. I thought it was a decent enough outline of the CPC intent. What I have noticed;

1) PP is addressing blue collar workers directly. He is wedging between workers and their union leadership

2) PP is attacking corporate leadership for not showing leadership. For not challenging the damage being done by the Liberals in the business world. 
PP is sending his message directly to people and bypassing the media. I am not a social media user so I don’t know how well this is working. Polls suggest well enough.

All very early yet. Ongoing strength in the polls will impact how well the Ottawa bureaucracy functions. Managers are no different than politicians. They will start building resumes that will appeal to a CPC administration. Keeping their jobs will be #1.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Thanks for that link. I thought it was a decent enough outline of the CPC intent. What I have noticed;

1) PP is addressing blue collar workers directly. He is wedging between workers and their union leadership

2) PP is attacking corporate leadership for not showing leadership. For not challenging the damage being done by the Liberals in the business world. 
PP is sending his message directly to people and bypassing the media. I am not a social media user so I don’t know how well this is working. Polls suggest well enough.

All very early yet. Ongoing strength in the polls will impact how well the Ottawa bureaucracy functions. Managers are no different than politicians. They will start building resumes that will appeal to a CPC administration. Keeping their jobs will be #1.

The problem is though, he's not saying how he would get anything done. It's easy to say those things.

Take the crime stuff. He can't just arbitrarily decide things about offenders. Harper tried that and failed. I don't see where Skippy is any different.

Blaming the business community was pretty lame. What are they supposed to do, not work with the current government?

There's no "how" in any of his speeches. 

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

This doesn’t really jive with PP’s address to the Vancouver Board of Trade last week. 

His usual substance free bluster? Does it actually mean anything?

8 hours ago, DSVII said:

Not that I disagree with the notion, but national polling does not translate to seats when it comes to the FPTP system, projections right now still look like a Conservative majority. Ironically Trudeau's breaking of that election promise may come back to bite him in a very large way.

But as you said, 19 months is a long way away, and it's possible the rage baiting may wear thin with the electorate. But I don't see anything less than a Conservative minority happening at this point. We'll see though.

I just don't see how a Conservative minority government would form. I doubt very much that the Lib's; much less the NDP, would prop up a Conservative minority government. Much more likely that it would be a Liberal minority government propped up by the NDP.

IMO, it will have to be a Conservative majority or bust situation

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I just don't see how a Conservative minority government would form. I doubt very much that the Lib's; much less the NDP, would prop up a Conservative minority government. Much more likely that it would be a Liberal minority government propped up by the NDP.

Well, the numbers are suggesting a Conservative majority, but if they only manage a minority, they'll likely come to an agreement with the Bloc....

35 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Good point, I guess I'm just saying that in all likelihood the next PM is going to be Conservative. I can see them and the bloc coming to an arrangement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, the numbers are suggesting a Conservative majority, but if they only manage a minority, they'll likely come to an agreement with the Bloc....

I don't honestly think that will happen. It will be another close race.

24 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The NDP/LIberals have about 13-15 months to get these programs running seamlessly for people to start seeing true benefits and to start wrestling interest rates back down while capping immigration numbers if they want to keep their cushy position 

If they can get some of this working well and the right funding to the right places and just govern they'll do ok.

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

This I didn't know.

FB_IMG_1711391455865.jpg

Yep. Pretty slimey. The only reason he supports gay marriage now is that it'd be political suicide not to.

Fun fact: you might not know this either, but Obama/Biden didn't support gay marriage heading into the '08 election iirc.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

This I didn't know.

FB_IMG_1711391455865.jpg

You will not be surprised about what kind of person he is if you look at his first 10-12 years of voting on various social issues.

Or that his first few elections were funded in large part by two of the nations largest anti abortion coalitions.

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this as someone well below the poverty line on a provincial disability income. There's a big question as to whether this program will be funded appropriately; it's been estimated that the benefit will require $10-12 billion, and that money has to come from somewhere. That "dozens" of MPs have called on Freeland here is a hopeful sign for me. I eagerly anticipate April 16.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 112 said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this as someone well below the poverty line on a provincial disability income. There's a big question as to whether this program will be funded appropriately; it's been estimated that the benefit will require $10-12 billion, and that money has to come from somewhere. That "dozens" of MPs have called on Freeland here is a hopeful sign for me. I eagerly anticipate April 16.

I will reiterate what myself and every analyst or consultant or person with kids forced to budget for the real world has had to say since the dawn of modern capitalism

There is plenty of money for what's important.  We have a rough estimate of over $280 billion in revenue and when people say we can't afford programs but we can afford to pay MPs $200k+ a year and subsidize large business while they make massive profits we know it's just poorly managed finances with legacy programs MPs are unwilling to axes to save the $ and redirect it to where it is needed

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, 112 said:

As someone who's paid a lot of taxes over my career, I would also like to see it, but also want to see a government that doesn't make it harder to generate tax revenue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Yep. Pretty slimey. The only reason he supports gay marriage now is that it'd be political suicide not to.

Fun fact: you might not know this either, but Obama/Biden didn't support gay marriage heading into the '08 election iirc.

Biden is a Roman Catholic.  He never believed in same sex marriage and he was also anti-abortion.  He only changed his tune for political reasons...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

As someone who's paid a lot of taxes over my career, I would also like to see it, but also want to see a government that doesn't make it harder to generate tax revenue. 

I hear you.  The last 10 years alone my wife has paid $300,000 in taxes.  I would like to see more of it going to help people.

• Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 2

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I hear you.  The last 10 years alone my wife has paid $300,000 in taxes.  I would like to see more of it going to help people.

100% with you. We all pay anyway if people fall through the cracks, I'd rather people have a good life, and maybe even a productive one in their own ways, whatever that is for them.

But what burns my cookies with the NDP from time to time is they get in the way of entrepreneurial people and businesses, or do the whole "us vs them" monologue. Its just not true, we need everyone pulling in the same direction. 

• Cheers 2

Bell CEO ordered to appear at House of Commons committee over job cuts

https://www.timescolonist.com/national-news/bell-ceo-ordered-to-appear-at-house-of-commons-committee-over-job-cuts-8505491

OTTAWA — Members of Parliament have issued a summons to the head of Bell Canada to compel his testimony next month about the company's decision to cut thousands of jobs across the country.

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

This I didn't know.

FB_IMG_1711391455865.jpg

So in other words, he's got "daddy" issues.  :hurhur:

Wait until he himself admits in his memoirs (published after his death, most likely) that he once thought about his sexuality in a way that his Tory colleagues would've castigated as "deviant behaviour".  :classic_ninja:

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If this is true, then everyone owes me an apology.  If this is not true, then please carry on with your day…  🤨

Everyone? I thought most believed the guy had ran his course, lost the room, and should step down. Many have hoped for Freeland. 

This could be real bad news for the cons.

Hope it is real. Game on.

I'm still likley voting NDP.

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Everyone? I thought most believed the guy had ran his course, lost the room, and should step down. Many have hoped for Freeland. 

This could be real bad news for the cons.

Hope it is real. Game on.

I'm still likley voting NDP.

His "everyone" is probably those dinner-time experts he seems to enjoy calling into action.  Pretty sure there was a pretty wide margin of posters here who weren't of the "JT won't resign" persuation vs. those who he seems to think were.

Or maybe he's becoming delusional?  But I'm sure there's a social media post out there that can help him "cure" that.  "Too".  :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1