Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For what it’s worth that Australian dude says the resignation is happening in the summer. However, with some snipers hanging around here I’m not about to post any more tweets on it.   🤨

If you can find a real source, knock yourself out.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think there's anyone here that would care if Trudeau resigned. Some of us might even be downright happy about it.

Some of you seem very confused, conflating arguing against utter bull shit nonsense, as support for Trudeau. 

Depending on who replaced him, I'd be down with it. Carney, Freeland, Joly....I'd be okay with any of them....

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Ontario deficit will triple as economy weakens, 2024 budget shows

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-budget-2024-1.7155581

Trudeau's fault that a Conservative government is fucking the provincial economy harder than Flaherty did in the early 2000's

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For what it’s worth that Australian dude says the resignation is happening in the summer. However, with some snipers hanging around here I’m not about to post any more tweets on it.   🤨

3 years ago he also said that the western leaders would all be tried at the hague for war crimes and executed and that Trump would resume the presidency that the WEF and the BIden global cabal stole from him

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

3 years ago he also said that the western leaders would all be tried at the hague for war crimes and executed and that Trump would resume the presidency that the WEF and the BIden global cabal stole from him

So basically what you are saying is that he has no street cred?  🤨

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Trudeau's fault that a Conservative government is fucking the provincial economy harder than Flaherty did in the early 2000's

Canadians in Ontario are over-taxed, same as in the rest of the country, citizens don't have enough money left over after taxation to strengthen local economies. 

All levels of government in Canada are complicit in creating an oversized and inefficient bureaucracy, weakening the value of our money with deficit spending with money we the people don't have, let alone wasting everyone's time with divisive bs politics. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Canadians in Ontario are over-taxed, same as in the rest of the country, citizens don't have enough money left over after taxation to strengthen local economies. 

All levels of government in Canada are complicit in creating an oversized and inefficient bureaucracy, weakening the value of our money with deficit spending with money we the people don't have, let alone wasting everyone's time with divisive bs politics. 

On 3/25/2024 at 6:34 PM, aGENT said:

The majority of countries rated ahead of Canada on things like quality of life/country rankings pay more taxes than we do. Taxes are not the problem the right makes them out to be.

Taxes aren't the problem.

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think there's anyone here that would overly care if Trudeau resigned. Some of us might even be downright happy about it.

Some of you seem very confused, conflating arguing against utter bull shit nonsense, as support for Trudeau. 

Actually there are a few posters who are pro Trudeau and don’t want him to resign. I know this because they give me Demko blocker saves whenever I criticize Trudeau. 🤨

Also, there is bull shit on both sides. So call out both sides. 

4 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

Income tax the top 10% like they used too + dividends taxed at income tax rate would be good. 

Can lower taxes for everyone else then.

The lowering of taxes since the 80s on the rich and switch to the debt economy has lead to the current conditions. 

Less spending, more taxes.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Income tax the top 10% like they used too + dividends taxed at income tax rate would be good. 

The lowering of taxes since the 80s on the rich and switch to the debt economy has lead to the current conditions. 

Redistribution of wealth is what a politician does when they have zero ideas on how to fix the economy.  I'd rather someone figure out how to raise revenues without having to resort to higher taxes for anyone.  Also, the more you tax the rich, the more loopholes they will find to avoid being taxed, so it's kinda a waste of time.  In the end, the only people you hurt are the middle class who are trying to get ahead in life...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Redistribution of wealth is what a politician does when they have zero ideas on how to fix the economy.  I'd rather someone figure out how to raise revenues without having to resort to higher taxes for anyone.  Also, the more you tax the rich, the more loopholes they will find to avoid being taxed, so it's kinda a waste of time.  In the end, the only people you hurt are the middle class who are trying to get ahead in life...

Just based on history alone, North America did very well when the top 10% was taxed appropriately. Unfortunately, they've had a low tax environment for the last 40 years now and have used this environment to amass considerable wealth, power, and influence.

I understand that it isn't as easy as raising taxes anymore. People can pack up and move to another country now far easier than they used to. The top 10% are so rich and influential that both major parties do their bidding. It sucks because the top rate was 60-90% for many decades and they were very prosperous decades for Canada and the US. Wealth imbalance has created so many issues and creates a stacked environment against the middle class, making it far more difficult for their quality of life to improve. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Not sure you have thought through the implications of more dividend taxation. It's hard enough to get people to invest in Canadian companies, doing that probably drives out even more tech investment at a time when we need far more of it.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Actually there are a few posters who are pro Trudeau and don’t want him to resign. I know this because they give me Demko blocker saves whenever I criticize Trudeau. 🤨

Also, there is bull shit on both sides. So call out both sides. 

There may very well be a few. Again though, I think you're confusing disagreeing with bull shit with "Trudeau is the best Prime Minister ever and should never resign!" He's been "fine" IMO as the face of the party/country. That's different than agreeing with everything in their party platform or record. And I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if they replaced him either. Especially if it meant a better chance of not having a conservative government after the next election. All they do is drag us backwards, not forwards.

There IS bull shit on both sides. But one party has been actively campaigning, spreading FAR more of it, for like 2 years.  We do call out both. I don't think you'll find anyone happy about arrive scam.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Just based on history alone, North America did very well when the top 10% was taxed appropriately. Unfortunately, they've had a low tax environment for the last 40 years now and have used this environment to amass considerable wealth, power, and influence.

I understand that it isn't as easy as raising taxes anymore. People can pack up and move to another country now far easier than they used to. The top 10% are so rich and influential that both major parties do their bidding. It sucks because the top rate was 60-90% for many decades and they were very prosperous decades for Canada and the US. Wealth imbalance has created so many issues and creates a stacked environment against the middle class, making it far more difficult for their quality of life to improve. 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The answer, is likely more unions. If you can't tax the rich more, taxing corporations just gets passed along to the consumer, etc, etc, the answer you're left with is paying the low and middle class more money so they have more left after paying the bulk of our tax revenue, more left after paying less for health care (benefits) etc. 

That's generally accomplished via collective bargaining and strict labour laws.

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure you have thought through the implications of more dividend taxation. It's hard enough to get people to invest in Canadian companies, doing that probably drives out even more tech investment at a time when we need far more of it.

It's hard for people to invest in Canadian companies when they see that the middle class can't afford anything either (and the middle class doesn't have disposable income for investment). In europe, low dividend countries include Greece, Moldova, etc. high dividend countries include norway, sweden, England, etc. 

A prosperous country will attract more investment than a struggling country with a low dividend rate. 

I'm no expert on economics but it's what I see historically and now.

3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

It's hard for people to invest in Canadian companies when they see that the middle class can't afford anything either (and the middle class doesn't have disposable income for investment). In europe, low dividend countries include Greece, Moldova, etc. high dividend countries include norway, sweden, England, etc. 

A prosperous country will attract more investment than a struggling country with a low dividend rate. 

I'm no expert on economics but it's what I see historically and now.

Canada is still viewed as a safe country to invest in. We do have issues for sure in affordability that might start effecting location decisions.

But hitting something like dividends just makes us unattractive from the start. We won't even get into discussions like the social situation. 

We need many more good, high paying jobs here, we won't get it by scaring off investment. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Canada is still viewed as a safe country to invest in. We do have issues for sure in affordability that might start effecting location decisions.

But hitting something like dividends just makes us unattractive from the start. We won't even get into discussions like the social situation. 

We need many more good, high paying jobs here, we won't get it by scaring off investment. 

I am a dividend investor. If a company does not share their profits with me via dividends then why should I invest in it. A steady stream of dividends helps pay for my retirement. As a small business owner I don’t have a pension other than CPP. Most small business owners do not sell their businesses for much capital gain. Corporations can partially fund their operations by selling stock to the public. The public, like me, buy that stock for dividend income or others will buy the stock in hopes of long term capital gain. 

Canada is not the ideal investment environment anymore. Many of our major corporations have in essence left Canada. Enbridge just announced a new gas pipeline that will take gas from the Permian field to USA LNG plants on the Texas coast. All investment that could/should have happened on the BC coast. Trans Canada is no different. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

The problem is that people who make $150-200k per year now are considered middle class.  They aren't rich.  They have big mortgages that they are paying off and have accumulated debt as well.  So you can't tax these people any more than they are taxed now as the economy would tank.  The "rich" people will just set up trusts and corporations to pay less in taxes like they do now.  So, instead of simply raising taxes, why not have the government spend more time closing loopholes for the rich to avoid paying taxes?  That might be a better solution to the problem.  That is an instant way to raise more revenues without penalizing anyone except the super rich.

I don't consider paying 50% tax as a "low tax" environment.  That is the logic of someone who doesn't really care about their money and someone who will just bend over for the government when they have run out of ideas on how to raise revenues.  We need smarter people in government.  There are ways to increase revenues without having to resort to more taxation.  When the top rate was 60-90% what were the house prices then?  What was the income to house price ratio?  With our accumulated debt and with the housing crisis we can't afford to be taxing anyone anymore than they are paying right now...

• Thanks 1