Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Yes it does, it says Smith asked for the 9,750 figure to be changed to 20,000 and allow for 10,000 more Ukrainians on top of that.

She was referring to the allocation of immigrants, specifically Ukranian immigrants, that were being allocated to Alberta from the total number through the Provincial Nominee Program.  She wasn't referring to the total number of immigrants in general that are approved to come into Canada, which is a federal mandate and has nothing to do with the provinces...

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

She was referring to the allocation of immigrants, specifically Ukranian immigrants, that were being allocated to Alberta from the total number through the Provincial Nominee Program.  She wasn't referring to the total number of immigrants in general that are approved to come into Canada, which is a federal mandate and has nothing to do with the provinces...

Was anyone disputing that?

The tweet was a bit rude.   That's modern politics for you.   Smith's phrasing of her complaint was pretty rude too, or at least phrased to put the best light on Alberta and a black light on the feds.   That's modern politics too.  Texas North at work.

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Was anyone disputing that?

The tweet was a bit rude.   That's modern politics for you.   Smith's phrasing of her complaint was pretty rude too, or at least phrased to put the best light on Alberta and a black light on the feds.   That's modern politics too.  Texas North at work.

Right wing: "Too many immigrants! Trudeau is flooding our country!!" Feds cut back immigration numbers. Smith: "Omg, why is Trudeau hampering Alberta's economy. We need DOUBLE the immigrants." You can't even make this shit up.

The tweet was trying to suggest that Alberta was asking the federal government to let in more immigrants, DOUBLE according to this person.  They were trying to infer that the "right wing" wants less immigrants but now all of a sudden want more.  Which is not what the article articulated.  Of course Smith is going to pump up Alberta, so does every other premier.  Modern politics works both ways.  Trudeau has done his share of pumping himself and his party up too.  And he's broken many of his election promises as well.  Trudeau couldn't balance a budget if it was going to save his life.  That is one thing he will always be remembered for, not to mention his complete divisiveness of Canadians during the pandemic, his illegal use of powers through the emergencies act, arrive scam, the Winnipeg lab debacle, etc....

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Right wing: "Too many immigrants! Trudeau is flooding our country!!" Feds cut back immigration numbers. Smith: "Omg, why is Trudeau hampering Alberta's economy. We need DOUBLE the immigrants." You can't even make this shit up.

The tweet was trying to suggest that Alberta was asking the federal government to let in more immigrants, DOUBLE according to this person.  They were trying to infer that the "right wing" wants less immigrants but now all of a sudden want more.  Which is not what the article articulated.  Of course Smith is going to pump up Alberta, so does every other premier.  Modern politics works both ways.  Trudeau has done his share of pumping himself and his party up too.  And he's broken many of his election promises as well.  Trudeau couldn't balance a budget if it was going to save his life.  That is one thing he will always be remembered for, not to mention his complete divisiveness of Canadians during the pandemic, his illegal use of powers through the emergencies act, arrive scam, the Winnipeg lab debacle, etc....

Do you honestly think PP will balance the budget if elected?

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jesus Petey.  Tell us how you really feel...

From my perspective - and one I have absolutely no doubt you will vehemently disagree with - the tweet was pointing out the tweeter's opinion that many on the right wing want to severely decrease the number of immigrants coming to Canada.  This is an opinion for which some proof exists.  

It also points to that fact that Smith wants a greater share of the total number of Ukrainian immigrants because Alberta is special, prosperous, and more deserving than other provinces. 

Both Smith's response (as per the CBC article) and your response take every opportunity to bash JT.  Who would expect less?

BTW - your response reminds me of certain 'arguments' with my wife.   Though it may start out as a discussion of something that just happened it soon turns to something I may or may not have done years ago.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Complete divisiveness of Canadians during the pandemic?  You mean the anti vax crowd?  If I was PM all those protesters would be in jail and I would say "just watch me":hurhur:

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

From my perspective - and one I have absolutely no doubt you will vehemently disagree with - the tweet was pointing out the tweeter's opinion that many on the right wing want to severely decrease the number of immigrants coming to Canada.  This is an opinion for which some proof exists.  

It also points to that fact that Smith wants a greater share of the total number of Ukrainian immigrants because Alberta is special, prosperous, and more deserving than other provinces. 

Both Smith's response (as per the CBC article) and your response take every opportunity to bash JT.  Who would expect less?

BTW - your response reminds me of certain 'arguments' with my wife.   Though it may start out as a discussion of something that just happened it soon turns to something I may or may not have done years ago.

What did you do years ago lol

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

So what you are saying is that I remind you of your wife.  The good news is you can practice your arguments on me and then go home to your wife to master your craft...   😊

10 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Oh, he'll "balance" it alright... by selling off some Crown asset to fudge the books and pretend that the one-time sale is somehow going to provide year-over-year returns - until the next year's budget rolls around, reality hits, and then another Crown asset needs to be sold to "balance" the books.

So which Crown asset do you think he'll take down first?  VIA Rail, or Canada Post?

• Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

No.  It's impossible to balance our budget unless MAJOR revenue streams are added or MAJOR cuts are done.  Chretien managed to do it but our debt at the time was less than half of what it is now.  I'm not sure it is possible to balance a budget when your interest payment alone on the debt is pushing $50 billion, plus we added another $40 billion for the dental program.  We would need to find a way to cut expenses and/or increase revenues by almost $100 billion just to balance the budget.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

She just wants to make sure any immigrants that Alberta gets have as little melanin as possible.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Oh, he'll "balance" it alright... by selling off some Crown asset to fudge the books and pretend that the one-time sale is somehow going to provide year-over-year returns - until the next year's budget rolls around, reality hits, and then another Crown asset needs to be sold to "balance" the books.

So which Crown asset do you think he'll take down first?  VIA Rail, or Canada Post?

Probably DND.

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What did you do years ago lol

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He did something that he will never live down and that his wife will always bring up in every argument.  So basically he is screwed for life...   😉

Not so nefarious as either of you think..

I should have typed 'something I said'.   We are currently re-assigning the rooms in our empty nest.   Apparently in about 2000 I said I wanted the upstairs family room as my music studio (my studio is currently in an extra garage that was the previous owners boat house).  Apparently I never voiced my longstanding wish for the downstairs family room.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Not so nefarious as either of you think..

I should have typed 'something I said'.   We are currently re-assigning the rooms in our empty nest.   Apparently in about 2000 I said I wanted the upstairs family room as my music studio (my studio is currently in an extra garage that was the previous owners boat house).  Apparently I never voiced my longstanding wish for the downstairs family room.

Man, that sounds so much more boring than what me and AW were thinking.  At least you could have made something up that was more interesting...   😊

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Called it.

Prices already climbing in Alberta before the tax increase.  Expected to increase more.  Same bs excuses given.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10385443/gas-prices-alberta-gas-tax-carbon/

We were at 2.02 here in Vancouver yesterday.  We are up to 2.06 in some places now.  151.9 sounds pretty damn good right now...

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We were at 2.02 here in Vancouver yesterday.  We are up to 2.06 in some places now.  151.9 sounds pretty damn good right now...

Ya?

Here's Penticton.

Guessing you missed the point.

They're jacking prices 15-20 cents a litre because it's thursday.  They'll jack them another 10-15 cents in the first and the idiots will blame the government even though with the new tax increase it should only amount to 3.5 cents a litre

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/local-news/gas-prices-climb-in-penticton-7335306

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't forget a long weekend is coming.   They will always jack up the prices a bit before a holiday no matter what else is going on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

She was referring to both, seperately. The Provincial Nominee Program for general skilled immigration and a seperate number for Ukrainians. The majority of PNP immigrants are former temporary foreign workers who are granted perminant residency. Changing the number of immigrants under the PNP to 20,000 was not about Ukraine. She seperately asked for 10,000 Ukrainian immigrants/refugees in addition to doubling the PNP.

Edited by MattJVD

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

She just wants to make sure any immigrants that Alberta get have as little melanin as possible.

This is what you get when you have Tucker Carlson whispering in her ear.

With an unemployment rate of 6.2% compared to the national average of 5.8% pigment may not help. She cares about a cheap source of labor and wants provincial control of immigration, as well as everything else. The only labor shortage is for minimum wage jobs and this keeps that business segment happy, control of immigration keeps the anti-immigration TBA faction of the UCP happy, and mentioning wanting more Ukrainians softens some of her pro-Russia comments.

"Danielle Smith’s ‘Alberta is calling’ campaign needs to come with an asterisk that says: *but there may be no job, health care or education when you get here."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-s-unemployment-rate-unchanged-in-february-lethbridge-rate-jumps-once-again-1.6798942

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ya?

Here's Penticton.

Guessing you missed the point.

They're jacking prices 15-20 cents a litre because it's thursday.  They'll jack them another 10-15 cents in the first and the idiots will blame the government even though with the new tax increase it should only amount to 3.5 cents a litre

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/local-news/gas-prices-climb-in-penticton-7335306

That is the rub: if the feds canceled the entire carbon tax outright this hour, by about the 5th of April your savings will be wiped out by corporate greed, and I am being generous in giving them a week.

I prefer that our nations funding is looked after while we encourage folks to accept change, all while most people get a rebate that offsets the tax 

Axe the tax: same prices, no government funding, no rebates.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1