Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

That is the rub: if the feds canceled the entire carbon tax outright this hour, by about the 5th of April your savings will be wiped out by corporate greed, and I am being generous in giving them a week.

I prefer that our nations funding is looked after while we encourage folks to accept change, all while most people get a rebate that offsets the tax 

Axe the tax: same prices, no government funding, no rebates.

Remember the HST?

That was 12%

When they cancelled it prices didn't drop.

This would be no different 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

That is the rub: if the feds canceled the entire carbon tax outright this hour, by about the 5th of April your savings will be wiped out by corporate greed, and I am being generous in giving them a week.

I prefer that our nations funding is looked after while we encourage folks to accept change, all while most people get a rebate that offsets the tax 

Until the BC (or any other) government disconnects itself from the giant teat of gas taxes you won't see them try to control gas prices.

• Cheers 1

And further degradation of our military.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

After some appointments i popped over to Costco in Victoria, was gonna fill up from half a tank of gas and then shop. Gas was 2.09 for the higher priced stuff that I usually buy. A week ago it was 1.89 for the same stuff. The tax doesn't even kick in for 4 days. 

Gas Companies will rip your money left and right, at least a 3.5 cent increase goes to government coffers instead of being hoovered up by fat pink men in oversized cowboy hats.

• ThereItIs 1

I spent $85 on gas this winter. Thank you work vehicle!!! I'll spend well more now that it is motorbike season but I can still get from Whistler to Campbell for under $85 😉

• Cheers 1

I have spent a total of $31 dollars charging my Ionic 5 since I got it on November 1st. It gets most of the driving now: commuting, groceries, out for activities with the kids, etc. When my wife and I both need to be in the office one of us will take the Subaru Forester. Even with trying to keep the driving to a minimum on it, I'm putting about $100 of gas every 2 weeks into it.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I have spent a total of $31 dollars charging my Ionic 5 since I got it on November 1st. It gets most of the driving now: commuting, groceries, out for activities with the kids, etc. When my wife and I both need to be in the office one of us will take the Subaru Forester. Even with trying to keep the driving to a minimum on it, I'm putting about $100 of gas every 2 weeks into it.

those are great. The push against electric vehicles on both sides of the political spectrum is odd to me, they are a great option for many.

• Like 1

The truly funny part about conservative premiers crying about the carbon tax is, they all charge some of the highest taxes on fuel.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/data/canadiantaxinfo

BC, which already wraps in its carbon tax is lower than all the con provinces other than AB on gas taxes. 

They all squeeze their citizens more than Trudeau, but of course thats why they are bitching, they don't want anyone to actually look at who's got the hand in their wallet. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Can we ask you, what is your annual insurance on the Ionic?

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

those are great. The push against electric vehicles on both sides of the political spectrum is odd to me, they are a great option for many.

EVs are fine for city people (why city people even need a car is beyond me, but that’s another conversation) in warm climates. But we really don’t have the technology for EVs to be useful for those living outside of cities, and (especially) in cold climates. 
Imagine an EV in Northern Ontario or the Prairies? Just not practical for those areas. 

51 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I test drove the 4 wheel drive version when I was car shopping last year. Someone actually sold it back to dealer after 3 weeks...Great car...hideous rims but great car 😉 

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EVs are fine for city people (why city people even need a car is beyond me, but that’s another conversation) in warm climates. But we really don’t have the technology for EVs to be useful for those living outside of cities, and (especially) in cold climates. 
Imagine an EV in Northern Ontario or the Prairies? Just not practical for those areas. 

PHEV is the answer for rural folks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They're fine anywhere in the lower half of BC pretty much but sure up north not ideal. I just think they're bullshit as far a 'green' goes. Brake dust is a huge component of air pollution from vehicles and the essentially slave workers mining cobalt by hand for the batteries is a large thing to have to over look. But they're very fun to drive. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

PHEV is the answer for rural folks. 

Ya, I like that idea. Then the vehicle uses electricity when in town but there isn’t the concern of getting stranded (and freezing to death in winter) travelling to and from. 

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

They're fine anywhere in the lower half of BC pretty much but sure up north not ideal. I just think they're bullshit as far a 'green' goes. Brake dust is a huge component of air pollution from vehicles and the essentially slave workers mining cobalt by hand for the batteries is a large thing to have to over look. But they're very fun to drive. 

My scooter is quick as anything, up to 8 kph. 🤣

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it’s time for big city folk to give up their vehicles completely? Why do they need one? Imagine the improvements to Vancouver if those living there didn’t have a vehicle? 

I like taking transit, but it takes 55 minutes on the bus to get from my daughter's day care to my office, or 25 minutes to drive. Day care doesn't open until 8 and I start at 8:30. Driving is my only option.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it’s time for big city folk to give up their vehicles completely? Why do they need one? Imagine the improvements to Vancouver if those living there didn’t have a vehicle? 

I believe that was part of Arthur Erickson's vision.

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

From the Canadian Encyclopedia "Over 80 per cent of Canadians live in urban centres. The three largest cities are Toronto, Vancouver and Montréal."

I don't know enough to speak to how appropriate an EV may be for Northern Ontario, but I suspect it is just fine. We all read some reports of EV's not charging in minus 60 weather, but I would like to see real data on it, and not just three peoples experience. 

As for your assertion, it is a good thing EV's are, in your opinion, a good option for the 80% of Canadians who live in Urban Centers. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Remember the HST?

That was 12%

When they cancelled it prices didn't drop.

This would be no different 

The irony there is that between PST and GST, we pay 12% anyway. The only thing the HST did was streamline the collection process and make life much easier for businesses.

I'm sure many will remember that I was one of the more adamant supporters of the HST and one of the more critical when it was cancelled. The active campaigning against it by the NDP is one of the biggest reasons I've never voted for them provincially. (although their more recent performance is starting to change my mind on that front)

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The irony there is that between PST and GST, we pay 12% anyway. The only thing the HST did was streamline the collection process and make life much easier for businesses.

I'm sure many will remember that I was one of the more adamant supporters of the HST and one of the more critical when it was cancelled. The active campaigning against it by the NDP is one of the biggest reasons I've never voted for them provincially. (although their more recent performance is starting to change my mind on that front)

Should never have gone to a referendum.  The average taxpayer simply isn't educated enough to be able to make an informed decision and is just going to think "tax bad".

• ThereItIs 1

Trudeau has to go, but I remain unconvinced that voters will get what they want from Poilievre. Douchebag vs. Turd Sandwich.

Ideally Trudeau would step down, although it might be political suicide for the person who fills his role.

'Axe the tax' is a stupid policy altogether, though. It's a good tax.

At the same time, there have simply been too many scandals with the current government. Trudeau's become very wealthy during his governance while normal Canadians are struggling to eat and maintain shelter.

He's still done some good things, but it's time to move on, and I'm not sure his party even recognizes this.

Likewise the NDP needs to move on from Singh.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Ya, I like that idea. Then the vehicle uses electricity when in town but there isn’t the concern of getting stranded (and freezing to death in winter) travelling to and from. 

I was thinking diesel is still good for the legit work trucks/vehicles, PHEV for the mom vans. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

From the Canadian Encyclopedia "Over 80 per cent of Canadians live in urban centres. The three largest cities are Toronto, Vancouver and Montréal."

I don't know enough to speak to how appropriate an EV may be for Northern Ontario, but I suspect it is just fine. We all read some reports of EV's not charging in minus 60 weather, but I would like to see real data on it, and not just three peoples experience. 

As for your assertion, it is a good thing EV's are, in your opinion, a good option for the 80% of Canadians who live in Urban Centers. 

IMHAO people living in big cities, who have access to good transit, don’t need any vehicles. Use transit or taxi. EVs are great but still add to congestion. 
In colder climates, where towns are spread far apart, an EV isn’t practical. The distances are too great. Imagine travelling from Thunder Bay to Sault St. Marie, in winter, in an EV. Some day there will be EVs that charge as quick as filling a gas tank. (Or close) Then I can see people using them in these colder areas. Right now, it just doesn’t make sense.