Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

More rage baiting by the N.P.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/bill-bewick-alberta-could-have-a-wealth-fund-like-norway-s-if-ottawa-stopped-picking-its-pockets/ar-BB1kPeQY?ocid=00000000&pc=U531&cvid=e3d2c1b37c73482a9c7108d343136a02&ei=7#comments&commentId=2322e410-b55e-4f45-9e3c-d74c8af6b18c

"Gerald Butts recently repeated a common but misguided refrain when he posted a photo of the growth in Norway’s pension fund with the comment that, “Every time I’m in Norway I think this could have been Alberta.” Albertans who are used to such outbursts call this “Norwailing.”

First, Alberta’s lack of pipeline access to tidewater discounts the price our oil, which means less money going to the government compared to other places; second, Alberta has chosen to be a low-tax jurisdiction; and third, Albertans pay the majority of their taxes to Ottawa, where $15-$20 billion are used yearly to subsidize federal spending across Canada.

---------------------------

mal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

More rage baiting by the N.P.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/bill-bewick-alberta-could-have-a-wealth-fund-like-norway-s-if-ottawa-stopped-picking-its-pockets/ar-BB1kPeQY?ocid=00000000&pc=U531&cvid=e3d2c1b37c73482a9c7108d343136a02&ei=7#comments&commentId=2322e410-b55e-4f45-9e3c-d74c8af6b18c

"Gerald Butts recently repeated a common but misguided refrain when he posted a photo of the growth in Norway’s pension fund with the comment that, “Every time I’m in Norway I think this could have been Alberta.” Albertans who are used to such outbursts call this “Norwailing.”

First, Alberta’s lack of pipeline access to tidewater discounts the price our oil, which means less money going to the government compared to other places; second, Alberta has chosen to be a low-tax jurisdiction; and third, Albertans pay the majority of their taxes to Ottawa, where $15-$20 billion are used yearly to subsidize federal spending across Canada.

---------------------------

mal

I can see why his close relative Seymore Butts doesn't associate himself with his cousin Gerald anymore.🥸

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, 112 said:

because that wasn't a tax 🙄

And in what universe would carbon producers simply eat the cost and say don't worry about it lol

I'm no a conservative but call a tax what it is ... A tax

When you and I pay it ... It's a tax .... When energy companies pay it they add it to the cost and we still pay it 

Also let's rename the carbon tax the aberta trans Canada pipeline tax and they would all cheer it

Harper failed to get the pipeline built ... Horgan wanted to nix it an Alberta dropped the Canadian constitutional flag around themselves and went to court ( if BC had the same soverenty law as Alberta does now the pipeline would have died )

Trudeau actually stepped in and bought it 

Use the carbon tax to pay the bill for the pipeline ... 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sapper said:

And in what universe would carbon producers simply eat the cost and say don't worry about it lol

I'm no a conservative but call a tax what it is ... A tax

When you and I pay it ... It's a tax .... When energy companies pay it they add it to the cost and we still pay it 

21 minutes ago, 112 said:

Serious question ❓ 

Harper didn't get to implement his plan but it was to put a cost on carbon just not call it a tax

So you seriously believe the oil companies would just eat the carbon cost and say since it's not a tax we won't add it to the bill .... It's on the house ?

First they would demand it be called a tax as any tax against them is deductable in overall operating costs 

Second - few gas stations dropped the price in Alberta to offset the temporary removal of their provincial gas tax .... Other than legislation making it law that all savings from stopping any tax must be passed to the customer .... The checks in the mail doesn't apply to big business 

If it makes it ok calling it cost over a tax then just ask Trudeau to change the name to carbon cost instead of carbon tax 

Harper himself didn't disagree there has to be costs attached. He had different ideas of where in the chain that fee should apply but in the end I will Lways be the last person purchasing it that pays .., fees and taxes roll down hill

I do think they screwed up calling it carbon tax .... They wanted to mirror Europe where it has been generally better recieved and it should have been something differen

I actually don't hate Harper's vision of applying as a cost at the point of production or import vs end user ..... But in the end it would have been the same and all passed to the final buyer 

12 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Serious question ❓ 

Harper didn't get to implement his plan but it was to put a cost on carbon just not call it a tax

So you seriously believe the oil companies would just eat the carbon cost and say since it's not a tax we won't add it to the bill .... It's on the house ?

First they would demand it be called a tax as any tax against them is deductable in overall operating costs 

Second - few gas stations dropped the price in Alberta to offset the temporary removal of their provincial gas tax .... Other than legislation making it law that all savings from stopping any tax must be passed to the customer .... The checks in the mail doesn't apply to big business 

If it makes it ok calling it cost over a tax then just ask Trudeau to change the name to carbon cost instead of carbon tax 

Harper himself didn't disagree there has to be costs attached. He had different ideas of where in the chain that fee should apply but in the end I will Lways be the last person purchasing it that pays .., fees and taxes roll down hill

I do think they screwed up calling it carbon tax .... They wanted to mirror Europe where it has been generally better recieved and it should have been something differen

I actually don't hate Harper's vision of applying as a cost at the point of production or import vs end user ..... But in the end it would have been the same and all passed to the final buyer 

I'm not arguing against you - was just mocking Harper's statement.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have no issues with the program and kids getting help, might be the best meal some of them get for the day. 

Just not sure why the provinces aren't stepping up?

• Cheers 1

Today we see the conservatives out across Canada blocking highways. On that movements Facebook all responses are pre.screened so no comments that are not in.full.support are censored 

Other highlights from their videos 

- signs calling for the arrest of politicians not conservative 

- signs calling for criminal charges if treason on politicians not conservative 

- signs that they have been appointed to speak on behalf of all.canadains 

- posts against the RCMP as somehow going rogue for not participating...... Many calling them traitors and that they should be replaced.with provincial police.to.ensure.they always follow the will of the people not the courts ...... Conservatives turning anti blue Is an odd move for sure 

One could easily mistake PP conservatives for North Korean , Russian and Chinese communist party officials 

We don't jail , harm or attack bad politicians in a democracy... We un elect them. In dictatorships and communist countries they jail them or worse ....   PP has blurred those lines and I really don't like his vision of one party devine rule 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Today we see the conservatives out across Canada blocking highways. On that movements Facebook all responses are pre.screened so no comments that are not in.full.support are censored 

- posts against the RCMP as somehow going rogue for not participating...... Many calling them traitors and that they should be replaced.with provincial police.to.ensure.they always follow the will of the people not the courts ...... Conservatives turning anti blue Is an odd move for sure 

One could easily mistake PP conservatives for North Korean , Russian and Chinese communist party officials 

We don't jail , harm or attack bad politicians in a democracy... We un elect them. In dictatorships and communist countries they jail them or worse ....   PP has blurred those lines and I really don't like his vision of one party devine rule 

March of the Poilievres. Bunch of dummies. 

Its just sad how they parrot the crap they see on Fox News. 

• ThereItIs 1

Ok so we had the freedom.convoy , freedom convoy 2.0 , the think about the children convoy , the anti sogi convoys and now the axe the tax convoys.

Any bets on the next convoy ? After today's announcement I'm going with

"Skip the dishes and don't let them eat cake" on to ottawa convoy

The manifesto already going to print demands that Trudeau be charged with high crimes for using taxes to feed kids.  That is a parents responsibility and a tax burden to workers who don't have.kids

In other news the 80 billion dollars needed to fight forest fires and drought shouldn't be spent because according to conservatives once Trudeau is out his conspiracy to cause fake fires that only CBC actually covered ... Will stop and we can save that money......

Oh and to congratulate PP on his work the Alberta oilsands companies have announced they will be paying the entire pipeline bill as it's the right thing to do .......

Happy belated April's fools universe 

24 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Ok so we had the freedom.convoy , freedom convoy 2.0 , the think about the children convoy , the anti sogi convoys and now the axe the tax convoys.

Any bets on the next convoy ? After today's announcement I'm going with

"Skip the dishes and don't let them eat cake" on to ottawa convoy

The manifesto already going to print demands that Trudeau be charged with high crimes for using taxes to feed kids.  That is a parents responsibility and a tax burden to workers who don't have.kids

In other news the 80 billion dollars needed to fight forest fires and drought shouldn't be spent because according to conservatives once Trudeau is out his conspiracy to cause fake fires that only CBC actually covered ... Will stop and we can save that money......

Oh and to congratulate PP on his work the Alberta oilsands companies have announced they will be paying the entire pipeline bill as it's the right thing to do .......

Happy belated April's fools universe 

"I should have done better in school" convoy.

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1
  • Wiener 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"I should have done better in school" convoy.

I wonder if this will also apply to those are banking on social media as their careers? 

A bit OT, and my apologies for that, but it struck me that some or many that coasted through life didn’t have a scholastic foundation that they could lean on and are pissed about everything except their own life choices. 

But, I digress. Convoy on! 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Sapper said:

Poilivre certainly has a case to be in prison for his open support of the Klown Kar Konvoy that was an attempt to overthrow the lawfully elected government.  Time to take off the kid gloves and force the cons to start the denazification process if they don't want to be treated as a terrorist organization.

• Wiener 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Poilivre certainly has a case to be in prison for his open support of the Klown Kar Konvoy that was an attempt to overthrow the lawfully elected government.  Time to take off the kid gloves and force the cons to start the denazification process if they don't want to be treated as a terrorist organization.

These are interesting words you continue to use.  We already have been warned about using this type of language against our politicians...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

This was a campaign promise by Trudeau in 2021 that was only fulfilled today.  It was only fulfilled because of the NDP's insistence.  I know that people are going to say that it's great that we have a minority government with a coalition that holds the Trudeau government accountable.  However, it should disturb people that the Trudeau government is incapable of passing its own legislation without being "coerced" by the NDP.  

We might as well elect the NDP to run the country in this case.  I wouldn't actually have a problem with that if the choice was between the NDP and the Trudeau government...

On 3/24/2024 at 11:38 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I understand you are an analytical guy and a stats person. I know this through the hockey threads. I’m not like that. I talk about my own life experiences and what it was like to live in Vancouver 25-30 years ago. So that’s where we differ unfortunately. 

You cannot validate everything in life through statistics and charts. If that’s all you do then yes we probably won’t be debating much anymore. It’s like when someone on the Canucks is having a bad game, you pull up analytical charts whereas I talk about what I actually saw on the ice. It’s a generation gap. You’re a millennial and I’m a gen x’er, so we look at things differently. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s just we are different. 

I don’t need to look at charts to know that my life was better 25 years ago than it is now and that my purchasing power was better. I just know it was because that is what I remember. If that bothers you then I can’t help you really. I’m not interested in having debates simply based on charts and graphs. That’s not my thing. 

If I speak to anyone of my generation they will all tell me the same thing. That’s because I talk to these people daily. There is nobody I know who thinks they are better off now than they were in the 90’s or early 2000’s. 

Also, you posted a chart about purchasing power disparity between countries. I never mentioned any other countries in my previous post. I don’t give a shit how people are living in other countries and how you want to spin that to say we are better off than someone living in Estonia so Trudeau is good. I only care about what is happening in the country I live in. I don’t need a chart to confirm this. $100k per year wages isn’t a great life these days. You get by and can live decently but not like before. I don’t need a chart to confirm this either. 

As for housing, you are totally wrong on your analogy. Like you really need to speak with experts in the field to get a better understanding of it. I never said the market needs to crash to bring prices down. Because it won’t matter. Even a 50% drop in prices won’t help the average Canadian to buy a property. That’s how fucked up the real estate market is. What I did say is builders and developers need to build smaller units to get the price per square foot down. They also need to build many more of these units to increase supply so prices don’t escalate. 

As for your analogy that a builder is better off building one bigger home than two smaller homes, you couldn’t be more wrong. The bigger homes are unaffordable for the average person. Also, if you build a fourplex on a property instead of one single home than your profit on a per square foot basis goes up not down. Let me explain how it works. You build one home on a single 33x122 lot and you can sell it for up to $2.8 million in Vancouver. That’s the going rate. If you build four smaller homes at let’s say 1000sf each, you can sell each individual unit for around $1.1 million. That’s also the going rate. So one unit nets a builder $2.8 million. Four units nets the builder $4.4 million. Plus you just built four smaller units that are much more affordable than the single unit. And you increased the inventory levels by an additional 3 units at more affordable price points for the average person. And the cost of construction is only marginally higher as your most expensive piece is to purchase the land. You may have to pay an extra $300-$400k for the extra finishings and labour, but your profit margin as a builder is still much higher with the four units. Plus it’s easier to sell four smaller and cheaper units versus one bigger expensive home. Does this make sense?  

And no you didn’t come across harshly at all. I can continue this debate with you anytime my friend. But please understand we are a generation apart so we may not see eye to eye on a lot of things and I am not the analytical person you are, so that may cause an issue with our communications on here as well. But we seem to get along in the hockey threads. So I really don’t have a problem discussing things with you here as well. 

I just realized I never properly addressed this.

You have a very condescending attitude because you're older than me and nothing more.  I've asked you to back up your claims and the best response you could come up with is "I'm from a different generation and I don't need to back anything up because I lived through it and you didn't."  If that's how you think, then nobody's gonna care what you have to say.

"Our purchasing power as Canadians has vastly decreased since the 1990’s."  Okay - prove it.

"$100k per year wages isn’t a great life these days."  Okay - prove it.

I'm not even that young anymore, man.  Many of my former professors are older than you and a couple have even passed away.  They told me the same shit I'm telling you today.  "You have an opinion?  Okay - prove it."

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

18 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I just realized I never properly addressed this.

You have a very condescending attitude because you're older than me and nothing more.  I've asked you to back up your claims and the best response you could come up with is "I'm from a different generation and I don't need to back anything up because I lived through it and you didn't."  If that's how you think, then nobody's gonna care what you have to say.

"Our purchasing power as Canadians has vastly decreased since the 1990’s."  Okay - prove it.

"$100k per year wages isn’t a great life these days."  Okay - prove it.

I'm not even that young anymore, man.  Many of my former professors are older than you and a couple have even passed away.  They told me the same shit I'm telling you today.  "You have an opinion?  Okay - prove it."

I’m in agreement with both of you. But purchasing stuff is different depending on where we live. A house in town here is way more to buy than when we bought our first back in ‘76. Earning is a lot higher too, of course, but a 50,000 dollar home in ‘76 is millions now and (imo) wages don’t cover that cost increase. 
Buying other stuff, like food, is more now but in relative terms it’s not much different than years ago. I think a really big difference is where we spend. We used to mostly buy groceries to cook at home. Lots of fixin’s, so to speak. It seems people buy ready made meals or eat out. That would certainly be more costly than cooking at home. Then there’s the whole growing and raising one’s own food too. More done years ago. Hanging clothes to dry is (seemingly) a thing not seen much now. 
I think we just lived different years ago than the big city ways of today. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We might as well elect the NDP to run the country in this case.  I wouldn't actually have a problem with that if the choice was between the NDP and the Trudeau government...

At this point, I'd argue that as much as I dislike Singh, and certain parts of their platform, a minority NDP government could very well be the best thing for Canada. And ideally get the other two parties to smarten the fuck up with their nonsense and get them (the Conservatives especially) back closer to centre.

• Cheers 1